Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Nah, Yakuza Teppodama Lance gets a Von Rohrs instead.

I don't want to make this too easy, after all.

Shine on you crazy diamonds :japan:

(the pink background is my transparency layer, but nothing's final yet so I'm not bothering in case I decide that Charger is just too good :pseudo: )

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Good grief, we're digging waaaaay into the back of the toy chest now ain't we? :)

PoptartsNinja posted:

Where is my Yakuza Princess Tragic Love Story 'Mech? :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Where is my Yakuza Princess Tragic Love Story 'Mech? :colbert:

Nobody's ever satisfied.

Still, it's a good thing that giant insects can't fly.

I'm going to need someone who's comfortable with maneuvering a stupid-fast jumper.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

. . . ja-ump-ingu spi-da-ru!!!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm going to need someone who's comfortable with maneuvering a stupid-fast jumper.

Even more so than the Screamer?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm torn. I badly want to saddle a player with an O-Bakemono but don't want to create a situation where they're worthless if the players they have to coordinate with die or won't play ball.

quote:

The primary weapons on the O-Bakemono are a pair of Shigunga Arrow IV Systems. The Arrow IVs have an effective range of up to three kilometers, allowing the O-Bakemono to stay at extreme ranges

MIRACLES OF SUPER SCIENCE

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

PoptartsNinja posted:

OOHHHH mech partly made of a spring and stupid fast? sign me up!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Even more so than the Screamer?

The Spider -8X hits the coveted 10 hex jump and slaps nimble jumper onto it. Nimble jumper lets it zig-zag and take non-straight jumping paths, which is already powerful, but so long as it opts to make even a one-hex zig-zag it pushes its jumping TMM up an additional +1, to a ludicrous +5. The only downside, this also adds to the Spider's to-hit modifier. Which is almost entirely offset by pulse laser benefits.

I'm going to hate this thing and the only reason it's here is because it is absolutely the sort of `Mech the DCMS would assign to this.

Or, in other words, it can jump like this:

I am already regretting putting it in the lineup.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 9, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

The movement orders for that thing is going to be rather involved.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

(the pink background is my transparency layer, but nothing's final yet so I'm not bothering in case I decide that Charger is just too good :pseudo: )

Beavis is getting rather excited with all those infernos and flamers.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

CourValant posted:

The movement orders for that thing is going to be rather involved.

"Jumping 0346 via 0846, 0548, and 0545, facing 0245" would work, probably.

And all that really matters is making a zig; complexity of manoeuvre is optional.

But recommended, of course. Just because the lines will be pretty.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I really need to sign up to be a pilot. I would probably enjoy running flying that Spider around....

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I really need to sign up to be a pilot. I would probably enjoy running flying that Spider around....

You ain't kidding either, that Spi-da-ru moves more like a LAM than a 'mech.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ablative posted:

"Jumping 0346 via 0846, 0548, and 0545, facing 0245" would work, probably.

And all that really matters is making a zig; complexity of manoeuvre is optional.

But recommended, of course. Just because the lines will be pretty.

The ideal way to do it is to land in heavy woods every time.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Spider -8X hits the coveted 10 hex jump and slaps nimble jumper onto it. Nimble jumper lets it zig-zag and take non-straight jumping paths, which is already powerful, but so long as it opts to make even a one-hex zig-zag it pushes its jumping TMM up an additional +1, to a ludicrous +5. The only downside, this also adds to the Spider's to-hit modifier. Which is almost entirely offset by pulse laser benefits.

I'm going to hate this thing and the only reason it's here is because it is absolutely the sort of `Mech the DCMS would assign to this.

This level of OCD maneuvering is extremely my poo poo.

(Usually I go in for stuff slightly more heavily armed, but the siren song of GOTTA GO FAST is irresistible)

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

I am sanguine about this.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

So Noriko Al-Hazar has enough zig-zag letters in her name that she can sign her name with flight paths during the mission and maintain large TNs.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Please don't refer to the mech using a stereotypical Japanese accent.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nobody's ever satisfied.

Please tell me there's also a Ranger, an Air Raider, and a Fencer.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
I would be totally up for flying that Spider around like a maniac. Speed is life!

I does get to be red right?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Experienced crazy jumper pilot, signing in.

Just ask yourself "would this move make me an annoying git?" every turn and you'll do fine.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I learned during my run that never not going fast leads to shame and disappointment.

I would be honoured to go fast in the most bullshit fashion possible. Accurate MPL is a nice bonus too.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I have way too much fun with Preta Dominuses when I get my Blake on. Hat in the ring, but you're not short of volunteers.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I wouldn't mind giving another jumpy 'Mech a try. Being able to zig-zag my jumps to get the optimal positioning for a DFA (if necessary) sounds fantastic. :swoon:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Artificer posted:

Please don't refer to the mech using a stereotypical Japanese accent.

And besides, it's supaidaa*

*maaaaaaan

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Xarbala posted:

And besides, it's supaidaa*

*maaaaaaan

My man. :) :respek:

Besides, wasn't going for 'authenticity', wanted the most inappropriate weeaboo version; its not Battletech unless I get to create pejorative nicknames for 'mechs! :)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What the gently caress?

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, no reason for that pronunciation; just call it a Spider, man.

I mean, it's Battletech. With a pilot name of Noriko Al-Hazar, I wouldn't be surprised if she's also a six foot Nordic blonde with a Slavic accent, so the pronunciation doesn't work on that level, either. The Inner Sphere is the ultimate melting pot.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sorry if my hot take offended anybody, all I'm saying is, Leopardon when

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P8BxyZddzU

E: actually hot take is the wrong phrase, itd be deeply ironic if it looked like I was cool with casual racism, just wanted to lighten the mood with a Japanese Spiderman joke

Runa fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 9, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Xarbala posted:

E: actually hot take is the wrong phrase, itd be deeply ironic if it looked like I was cool with casual racism, just wanted to lighten the mood with a Japanese Spiderman joke

And it was greatly appreciated; I took it as the mood lightening joke as intended.

However, it appears our brand of humor is causing offense, so, no more joshing with the Japanese language then.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Japanese is the state language in the Draconis Combine, and there is a canonical "Drac accent," but since they never elaborate what that accent is I choose to believe that it's Welsh.

It is incredibly amusing to picture the vast majority of Draconis Combine citizens talking about Ninjo and Giri in Japanese with an upward inflection.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Japanese is the state language in the Draconis Combine, and there is a canonical "Drac accent," but since they never elaborate what that accent is I choose to believe that it's Welsh.

It is incredibly amusing to picture the vast majority of Draconis Combine citizens talking about Ninjo and Giri in Japanese with an upward inflection.

Welsh accented Japanese makes sense, as the Welsh invented Padlockigami, the art of Padlock folding.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HjIeA5CLiNk

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

And now all I can think of is Tulpa from Ronin Warriors and his inexplicable yet menacing Welsh accent.

Edit: Stupid goddamn autocorrect...

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 10, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I like to think it's "poorly pronounced high school level Japanese" since the Combine is basically a state created by a very powerful weeb

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
There's a better chance "spider" would be pronounced "spider" while "hajimemashite" would sound like "HAY - JIMMY- MASH- tee".

Or whatever the Swedenese equivalent would be, if they are in Rasalhague.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Defiance Industries posted:

I like to think it's "poorly pronounced high school level Japanese" since the Combine is basically a state created by a very powerful weeb

:) :respek:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Can we not just call 'Mechs what they are? Since with very few exceptions 'Mechs only have one name regardless of language of origin, and all but maybe two or three of those exceptions are "we don't know what these guys call their 'Mechs, let's make something up to tell HQ".

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Strobe posted:

Can we not just call 'Mechs what they are? Since with very few exceptions 'Mechs only have one name regardless of language of origin, and all but maybe two or three of those exceptions are "we don't know what these guys call their 'Mechs, let's make something up to tell HQ".

There's also disparaging nicknames like "Withworthless" and "Trenchbucket". Which is the Inner Sphere equivalent of typing "Micro$oft".

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Fun nicknames are fine. Typing phonetically in a heavy stereotypical accent is annoying at best.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Loxbourne posted:

Experienced crazy jumper pilot, signing in.

Just ask yourself "would this move make me an annoying git?" every turn and you'll do fine.

That's basically how I played out my turn as COOTS, this checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

Since there's still no turning cost for nimble jumping, is it necessary for the pilot to submit wildly complex orders or would it suffice for them just to say "I jumped nimble for 10 and landed in XXXX, facing YYYY"?

Unless I'm missing something it looks having them specify a path would be adding a bunch of bookkeeping on your end for no mechanical difference unless they mess up.

• Locked thread