Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Man I totally missed this thread. Fuckin' September. Anyway, going through six pages, Batman is my favorite expy (Shadow), and I buy new comics digitally and some occasional trades/hardcovers, and have been doing that for awhile. I have zero desire to return to paper. I currently read on a 12.9" iPad Pro which is just about the perfect size to read two pages in landscape. Previously, I was using an iPad Air, which was good for a single page in portrait. Double pages were just a little too small to read comfortably.

In not good news, my parents are staring down a hurricane and don't seem to be in any hurry to evacuate. They're not in evacuation zone, but it might still be bad. I think my hurricane instincts have dulled since I moved out of Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I got a bunch of free Marvel digital trades from buying print books on Amazon or something, and I picked up the first volume of Ennis's Punisher.

I just finished the first 4 Vietnam issues and Jesus Christ--is his entire run this good?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I've had a few inquiries about it so we ordered more than initially. We recently bought a collection that had a high grade original Mister Miracle #1 and there was a feeding frenzy over it the day we displayed it. We ended up selling it for $15 more than I had priced it at because we had so much interest and people in the store were arguing over it.

Rightly so, Mister Miracle is loving great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I got a bunch of free Marvel digital trades from buying print books on Amazon or something, and I picked up the first volume of Ennis's Punisher.

I just finished the first 4 Vietnam issues and Jesus Christ--is his entire run this good?

More or less. There's parts that aren't as good as other parts, but it's pretty solid all the way through.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Punisher 2099 is totally intentionally over the top. Pat Mills definitely used his tenure to make an even more nutty Dredd and push it to the max. Al Ewing did a good job picking up that ball and running with it by putting Punisher 2099 in Contest of Champions.

X-Men 2099 is interesting but just kinda...there. They really kind of did their own thing roaming the deserts and trying to find a safe haven for mutants. It never really crossed over with the other 2099 titles much and since they're in the wastelands a lot, it's missing the dystopian sci-fi setting the other books have.

Ghost Rider 2099 was pretty neat and doesn't get much attention either. It was full on Neuromancer cyberpunk and had some great art by Chris Bachalo, Mark Buckingham, and Ashley Wood. Unfortunately, the inker seemingly struggled mightily with handling Wood's art and many of those issues look like someone just poured black ink all over the page.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Tato posted:

Punisher 2099 is totally intentionally over the top. Pat Mills definitely used his tenure to make an even more nutty Dredd and push it to the max. Al Ewing did a good job picking up that ball and running with it by putting Punisher 2099 in Contest of Champions.
Yeah, I didn't like Punisher 2099 when it came out and I was a kid because it seemed so over the top it was silly, but looking back at it through the lens of it being the people behind Judge Dredd and Marshall Law, the silliness was both 100% intentional and often pretty funny.

quote:

Ghost Rider 2099 was pretty neat and doesn't get much attention either. It was full on Neuromancer cyberpunk and had some great art by Chris Bachalo, Mark Buckingham, and Ashley Wood. Unfortunately, the inker seemingly struggled mightily with handling Wood's art and many of those issues look like someone just poured black ink all over the page.
I think Ashley Wood was the inker for a lot of that run? I think Ashley Wood was still struggling with what it meant to do Ashley Wood art. In his defense, there were a lot of people doing that in public in the early 1990s. Some of the early/style-transition era books by Travis Charest, Jae Lee, Sam Keith, Chris Bachalo, Mike Mignola, etc. when you look back at them look like someone doing a half-assed knock-off/parody of themselves.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Strange Aeon posted:

Skip volumes 2, kitchen Irish, and volume 8, widowmaker. Pick up the tbp From First to Last or alternatively find the one shots, The Tyger and The Cell

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Skip volumes 2, kitchen Irish, and volume 8, widowmaker. Pick up the tbp From First to Last or alternatively find the one shots, The Tyger and The Cell

Nah, those are good too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Nah, those are good too.

They

Are not

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My shartlo cosplay costume for New York Comica is mumbling along nicely, Estherban.

Just need to finger out how to keep the glasses in place and it's groove sailing from here on out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

They

Are not

I at least appreciate Kitchen Irish because it's a Punisher story where everything would be the same if Punisher never showed up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

My shartlo cosplay costume for New York Comica is mumbling along nicely, Estherban.

Just need to finger out how to keep the glasses in place and it's groove sailing from here on out.

You better not film any curséd VHS tapes while you're there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

You better not film any curséd VHS tapes while you're there.

Like you have any beige enough hardware.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

I at least appreciate Kitchen Irish because it's a Punisher story where everything would be the same if Punisher never showed up

That's actually one of the reasons why it sucks balls. It's Garth venting about The Troubles featuring a fairly racist charicature in maginnty and is a story that has nothing to do with Frank castle at all.

Widowmaker, similarly, is a good idea in theory, how would the family of someone killed by the punisher react to them being murdered?, but (imo) is poorly written, the villains are (again) bland and uninteresting and the plot literally depends on Frank sitting in a bed not doing anything for entire arc because he chooses not to break the cuffs (which is shown to be a conscious choice) until the last three pages of the book, which if he had cared he might've saved a woman from suicide. It's really loving dumb

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I forgot the expy theme.

I suppose my favourite expy is Zorro, who's an expy of the Scarlet Pimpernel.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gavok posted:

how you gonna keep from trippin' over all those loose percent signs

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Grant Morrison sale on Comixology

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

TenCentFang posted:

Punisher 2099 is a meme and everyone seems to like Spider-Man 2099, but no one ever talks about X-Men 2099, which I really liked. Or at least I seem to remember liking, I could be wrong, I've liked terrible things in the past.

It was all right. It was nice that it didn't have the sprawling, convoluted continuity of Original Recipe X-Men, but the characters weren't very compelling.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Was Ghost Rider 2099 the same demon that caused the normal Ghost Riders? Curious for any connections between that setting and the mainstream Marvel one.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ghost Rider 2099 was entirely unsupernatural. He was a hacker who's mind got uploaded to the future internet and got a :krad: cyborg body with a chainsaw fist. It ruled.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember X-Men 2099 having a character who turned into a green-glowing skeleton and I thought he looked loving awesome and wanted him to be in all the comics.

Google says the characters name is Skullfire. That is just the best name ever, and now I am even sadder that he wasn't in all the comics.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 9, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He was such an awful character.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

He was such an awful character.

OTOH flaming green skeleton!

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's always Blight from Batman Beyond.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TenCentFang posted:

You mean Norman Osborn.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

You mean Norman Osborn.

My favorite Batman is Spider-Man and vice versa. Hot drat that show was good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TenCentFang posted:

Dang, forgot about him. Also Dr. Phosphorous. Green-glowing skeletons just make awesome looking villains.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My friend was telling me about the newish Batman series and he mentioned Gotham Girl but I thought he said Goblin Girl and that made me wonder if Green Goblin ever had a female teenage sidekick named Goblin Girl.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Strange Aeon posted:

My friend was telling me about the newish Batman series and he mentioned Gotham Girl but I thought he said Goblin Girl and that made me wonder if Green Goblin ever had a female teenage sidekick named Goblin Girl.

That will be the handle of the osborne/gwen stacy love child that pops up for the next spidey event in two years

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

The closest to that was Menace, one of the many ill-advised and forgettable villains during Brand New Day. She was in her 20s, though.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lurdiak posted:

The closest to that was Menace, one of the many ill-advised and forgettable villains during Brand New Day. She was in her 20s, though.

Goblin Girl is a great name for a character like that--maybe we'll see her someday.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Strange Aeon posted:

Goblin Girl is a great name for a character like that--maybe we'll see her someday.

Eventually all of the Spider-Man villains will have quirky teen girl anti-hero versions of themselves.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Eventually all of the Spider-Man villains will have quirky teen girl anti-hero versions of themselves.

Aunt May will turn evil and become Lady Vulture.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

TenCentFang posted:

Aunt May will turn evil and become Lady Vulture.

But then they'll bring back the "real" Aunt May from Peter's memories and she'll defeat Lady Vulture herself in the epic crossover One More May.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well there is Goblin Queen who might as well me Gwen Stacy to add some confusion into whoever the gently caress Madeline Pryor was.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have they made her more complicated than a Jean clone?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are there any of those? Gwenpool doesn't count because Deadpool has never really been a Spider-Man villain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Girl Venom.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

Are there any of those? Gwenpool doesn't count because Deadpool has never really been a Spider-Man villain.

That's apparently gonna change soon since they plan for Deadpool to do a heel turn and it's going to turn their team-up series to Deadpool vs Spider-man, unless that was a rumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zoro posted:

That's apparently gonna change soon since they plan for Deadpool to do a heel turn and it's going to turn their team-up series to Deadpool vs Spider-man, unless that was a rumor.

That's not related to what I said at all, kinda interesting though.

• Locked thread