Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Here's the September discussion thread. The theme this time for discussion is what your favorite expy is. From Nighthawk to American Crusader, from Sentry to Supreme, it's practically a good chunk of big two comics now anyway.

I'm tempted to go with SUPREME for the obvious pick of a favorite, but everyone knows how great that comic is by now and frankly I've been partial to HYPERION as of late- his recent 616 Marvel stuff from his mini and associated stories are great.

Dude's origin is that he's from the microverse, and his home world was that of the very first atom split by the atomic bomb. Which is a neat twist on the basic 'last survivor of his planet' concept and about as comic books as you can get, frankly.

Of course, this is the general discussion thread for September, so feel free to talk about whatever!

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's too many Hyperions, it confuses me.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What's an expy? Thought maybe you meant expat but I don't think that makes sense in context.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

What's an expy? Thought maybe you meant expat but I don't think that makes sense in context.

They're imitation versions of other characters, like the way Hyperion and Sentry are Marvel's versions of Superman.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Still going through early Marvel. Early X-Men Kirby art is loving atrocious.

Kirby has some good stuff but man his bad stuff is bad. I know the inker carries a lot of the responsibility for how Kirby's art looked, but I don't think you can put this down on the inker alone.

(X-Men #1 was actually good in terms of setting up a new team book, though the art wasn't anywhere near what Kirby was doing on titles like FF or Thor. X-Men #2 was a piece of garbage from plot to script to story.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jordan7hm posted:

Still going through early Marvel. Early X-Men Kirby art is loving atrocious.

X-Men is clearly the one neither Lee nor Kirby were all that invested in (fully expect someone to swoop in and correct me on that score); I think you can tell that, in the 1960s, Lee's favourites are Spider-Man and Captain America while the stuff Kirby's most passionate about was FF and Thor (and also probably Cap - I'm not sure but I assume he must have been).

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sinteres posted:

They're imitation versions of other characters, like the way Hyperion and Sentry are Marvel's versions of Superman.

Oh, never heard that term before. I hate to be basic but Supreme (Alan Moore version, obviously) is so good. It really captures the madness and joy of the Silver Age.

Does DC have equivalents of the weird cosmic Marvel characters? I know there's the 4th World guys but they don't seem on the same level as Galactus and company.

And somewhat related, are there powerful artifacts in DC like the Infinity Gems or Cosmic Cube? I know individual heroes have stuff like Wonder Woman's lasso and Green Lantern's ring, but those don't really trade hands very often or act as huge macguffins, at least to my knowledge.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A Strange Aeon posted:

Does DC have equivalents of the weird cosmic Marvel characters? I know there's the 4th World guys but they don't seem on the same level as Galactus and company.

Anti-Monitor and Imperiex are the main ones that occur to me.

There was Kismet from late 90s / early 00s Superman comics, who was sort of like the DC equivalent of Eternity. In JLA/Avengers, they meet and fall in love (because who else could they get paired up with).

quote:

And somewhat related, are there powerful artifacts in DC like the Infinity Gems or Cosmic Cube? I know individual heroes have stuff like Wonder Woman's lasso and Green Lantern's ring, but those don't really trade hands very often or act as huge macguffins, at least to my knowledge.

There's a few of them - they were in the scavenger hunt section in the first two issues of JLA/Avengers.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Motherbox

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

DC cosmis guys seem more villain of the month/event kind of stuff where they show up, get dealt with, and then aren't heard from. It doesn't feel as integrated as the Marvel cosmic in my mind, which is weird given the green lantern setting but I don't read those so I might be wrong.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Are expys only the carbon-copy type character or does inspiration of themes also count? 'Cause if so, mine is Jaime Reyes as Blue Beetle written by John Rogers.

DC's cosmic stuff seems more humanoid based, with the Legion of Super-Heroes and Adam Strange being the main space-peeps. I think it's less cosmic and more sci-fi.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Scaramouche posted:

DC cosmis guys seem more villain of the month/event kind of stuff where they show up, get dealt with, and then aren't heard from. It doesn't feel as integrated as the Marvel cosmic in my mind, which is weird given the green lantern setting but I don't read those so I might be wrong.

My totally uneducated opinion is that DC cosmic seems like it was largely developed during a time when space stories would hee more to either invader from Mars stories or boys adventures on alien planet.

Marvel's stuff seems like it was developed at a time there was an increased focus on cosmic consciousness hippy crystal and drugs, or at least stuff a bit more akin to 2001. You still have the DC style but there's a current of "whoooaaa maaaaaaaaaaan" during the... 70s? I'm not super familiar with DC from that era but I don't recall the certain tone found in Werewolf by Night or Deadly Hands of Kung Fu.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I've read definitions repeatedly of what expys are and I'm still not clear what they are, the definition is so broad as to include pretty much everything. If I'm understanding things correctly, some of the best expys off the top of my head include:

John Constantine, an expy of Sting
Static, an expy of the teenage superhero archetype typified by Spider-Man
Darth Vader, an expy of Darkseid
Black Racer and the Scarlet Skier, expys of Silver Surfer
Homer Simpson, an expy of Walter Matthau
Superman, an expy of Philip Wylie's Gladiator and also maybe Jesus Christ
Bruce Banner, an expy of Dr Jeckyl
Ben Grimm, an expy of Jack Kirby

And yeah, Marvel "cosmic" stuff was built on the foundation of weird rear end Kirby/Ditko stuff that didn't get established nearly as much in DC books as in early Marvel, and then was expanded by a bunch of drug-influenced youth in the 1970s. DC has pantheons of mythical gods and 4th dimensional imps and Lords of Chaos and Order but none of them are nearly as black light poster ready as Marvel's.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Edge & Christian posted:

I've read definitions repeatedly of what expys are and I'm still not clear what they are, the definition is so broad as to include pretty much everything. If I'm understanding things correctly, some of the best expys off the top of my head include:

John Constantine, an expy of Sting
Static, an expy of the teenage superhero archetype typified by Spider-Man
Darth Vader, an expy of Darkseid
Black Racer and the Scarlet Skier, expys of Silver Surfer
Homer Simpson, an expy of Walter Matthau
Superman, an expy of Philip Wylie's Gladiator and also maybe Jesus Christ
Bruce Banner, an expy of Dr Jeckyl
Ben Grimm, an expy of Jack Kirby

An "expy" IMO is specifically a character who is created to be a version of an existing character and it's obvious. John Constantine for example isn't really an "expy" of Sting, he's a character who's visually based on Sting and was a punk musician as a reference to that, but otherwise isn't really like Sting at all. A better example would be the opposite, Willoughby Kipling from Doom Patrol or Jack Carter from Planetary. Hell, Planetary is a good source of expies. They're meant to function as that character and be a reference to them when those characters can't be used for reasons like copyright or editorial nixing it. I think what complicates this is that many expies gain a life of their own. Hyperion started clearly as a cute reference to Superman in a Marvel book and wasn't really intended as more than that, but eventually became far more.

Like, X-O Manowar isn't really an expy of Iron Man because despite both having power armor they're radically different characters. Black Racer isn't an expy of the Silver Surfer because he serves a different purpose in the narrative despite them both being "cosmic guy flying around on sporting equipment"

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 1, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My favorites are every single one of DCs attempts to make a Spider-Man

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even though Moon Knight has a lot of Batman going on, I'm not sure I'd call him an expy of Batman the same way Nighthawk is. Like for one thing I think the Batman aspects of his character were added slightly after his original appearance in Werewolf By Night.

There's so many goddamn Superman analogues in Marvel that it'd be hard to tally them all.

Hyperion(s)
Sentry
Wundarr the Aquarian
Gladiator
Sun God
Blue Marvel

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. And even though Thor is his own character, sometimes they are not very subtle in reminding people he's more or less the Avengers' version of Superman.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Zachack posted:

My totally uneducated opinion is that DC cosmic seems like it was largely developed during a time when space stories would hee more to either invader from Mars stories or boys adventures on alien planet.

Marvel's stuff seems like it was developed at a time there was an increased focus on cosmic consciousness hippy crystal and drugs, or at least stuff a bit more akin to 2001. You still have the DC style but there's a current of "whoooaaa maaaaaaaaaaan" during the... 70s? I'm not super familiar with DC from that era but I don't recall the certain tone found in Werewolf by Night or Deadly Hands of Kung Fu.

The odd thing to me is the DC guys just aren't ... present that often. I mean yeah there's the Boys Own adventure kind of characters but they're never referenced or used unless they're specifically addressed by the story. Whereas marvel has the watcher hanging out, people know who Galactus is, even thanos has a kind of top of mind presence.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sometimes I think about how ridiculous it is that Marvel and DC earth still operates like ours when they not only have all these superpowered dudes running around but also know there's things like Ego the Living Planet and Darkseid and Galactus out there. It's pretty goofy that neither of those earths have modified their government structures and gotten a seat at some kind of intergalactic united nations. "Oh yeah, intelligent alien civilizations are totally out there, but that's for the Space CIA to worry about, now let me tell you what I think about illegal mexican immigrants"

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Sometimes I think about how ridiculous it is that Marvel and DC earth still operates like ours when they not only have all these superpowered dudes running around but also know there's things like Ego the Living Planet and Darkseid and Galactus out there. It's pretty goofy that neither of those earths have modified their government structures and gotten a seat at some kind of intergalactic united nations. "Oh yeah, intelligent alien civilizations are totally out there, but that's for the Space CIA to worry about, now let me tell you what I think about illegal mexican immigrants"

I think the late 90s Marvel crossover Maximum Security explained that the intergalactic community has explicitly shut Earth out, but that might be handwavy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lightning Lord posted:

An "expy" IMO is specifically a character who is created to be a version of an existing character and it's obvious. John Constantine for example isn't really an "expy" of Sting, he's a character who's visually based on Sting and was a punk musician as a reference to that, but otherwise isn't really like Sting at all. A better example would be Willoughby Kipling from Doom Patrol. They're meant to function as that character and be a reference to them when those characters can't be used for reasons like copyright or editorial nixing it. I think what complicates this is that many expies gain a life of their own. Hyperion started clearly as a cute reference to Superman in a Marvel book and wasn't really intended as more than that, but eventually became far more.
I mean, according to TVTropes's definition page for Expys, they give two examples of Yogi Bear being an expy of Art Carney because they have similar voices I guess, and Mickey Mouse being an Expy for Felix the Cat in that they're jolly black and white animal tricksters in their original appearances. So based on those standards, John Constantine is an expy of Sting (with additional magic powers and history and character traits eventually added in), just like how Yogi Bear is Art Carney but with he's got a sidekick instead of being a sidekick and he's a bear and he's obsessed with picnic baskets and he doesn't golf or work in the sewers.

quote:

The key difference between this and Captain Ersatz is that an expy, while deliberately based on some other character, is still their own person, while Captain Ersatz is obviously the same character but with the Serial Numbers Filed Off. Please keep this distinction in mind before adding an example here.
Based on this, WIlloughby Kipling (and Supreme, and arguably the Squadron Supreme) are Captain Ersatzs rather than Expys, because again, John Constantine is definitely not Sting, but Willoughby Kipling might as well be John Constantine. Of course the very next line of the page is:

quote:

Also note that a fictional counterpart to a real-life person would not be an expy.
So I guess Constantine is not an expy at all, but a No Celebrities Were Harmed. Unless doing magic counts, since they previously identified Yogi Bear as an expy of Art Carney, who is a real person.

quote:

Like, X-O Manowar isn't really an expy of Iron Man because despite both having power armor they're radically different characters. Black Racer isn't an expy of the Silver Surfer because he serves a different purpose in the narrative despite them both being "cosmic guy flying around on sporting equipment"
If that's the case then a lot of these Superman expies aren't Superman expies, [many] version of Hyperions I guess have close to the same backgrounds/'places' as Superman, but Sentry has a radically different background/story/place in the Universe than Superman, as does Apollo, as does Blue Marvel, etc.

Back in the old man yells at clouds aged out of touch bullshit era of the 2000s, people called these "analogues" which is equally vague, or just talked about how characters had similar traits. I'm not against new lingo but I'm still genuinely not sure the standards for these things. It's easy to see how Nighthawk started off as "A Batman", but he stopped being that in a lot of interpretations. Is Night Thrasher a Batman? Midnighter? Moon Knight? Spawn? Big Daddy? Fantomex? Jesus from the Walking Dead?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

TV Tropes is trash, like a Gene pick.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What about the entire Justice League Great Society?

(New Avengers #26)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TV Tropes is transparently desperate to fit every single piece of popular culture detritus into as many of their categories as possible, nobody should take them seriously, ever

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

TV Tropes is also the first five hits for expy on Google and I'd never seen the term prior to it coming up on here, does it have roots outside of TV Tropes?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Does DC ever explain why Earth is such an attractive target for intergalactic invaders and stuff? Maybe it's asking too much for a reasonable explanation of why some alien would come specifically to earth to gently caress it up, given no one really wants to read stories with less at stake because they take place on planets and to cultures entirely fictional instead of in, say, New York City.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

TV Tropes is transparently desperate to fit every single piece of popular culture detritus into as many of their categories as possible, nobody should take them seriously, ever

I don't know if it still is and can't be bothered to check, but for a long time the word "Hello" was a trope, because they wanted every sentence in the "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." quote to have a link in it.

Can you think of any works of fiction which use the "Hello" trope? I'm stumped myself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

What about the entire Justice League Great Society?

(New Avengers #26)

And for people who still don't get the reference, 42+9+1=52.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Does DC ever explain why Earth is such an attractive target for intergalactic invaders and stuff? Maybe it's asking too much for a reasonable explanation of why some alien would come specifically to earth to gently caress it up, given no one really wants to read stories with less at stake because they take place on planets and to cultures entirely fictional instead of in, say, New York City.

"Goldilocks Orbit" is one reason. Also the meta gene is unique to Earth.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Skwirl posted:

And for people who still don't get the reference, 42+9+1=52.

Huh? Instead of saying 52, they put 42 million etc? Why?

Related to "expys" (is there a more commonly used word for this? Pastiches, maybe?), I notice no one has brought up The Boys, a potential bonanza of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Related to "expys" (is there a more commonly used word for this? Pastiches, maybe?), I notice no one has brought up The Boys, a potential bonanza of them.

I don't think straight parodies qualify.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Jonathan Hickman was being coy it was one of dozens of worlds Reed Richards looked at and every other parallel universe had a Reed Richards analog starting that speech with "Everything Dies." Calm down a bit. Expy is annoying word that I also only heard for the first time today but get over it, it describes something everyone recognizes as existing even if we can't always agree on the exact parameters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My favorite expy is Green Arrow, who is Batman.

A Strange Aeon posted:

One recent explanation was the White Lantern entity is on Earth so it's like a beacon to bad space dudes.

Another explanation has been that Earth is uniquely filled with superpowered people (because of the meta gene), so the aliens see it as a challenge.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
I'm partial to Midnighter, and totally recommend Steve Orlando's recent Midnighter and Apollo and Midnighter miniseries. Prometheus makes a great villain for him(though he's dispatched too quickly in the run, he makes a big impact on 'Nighter),and the latter series features Midnighter on a mission to rescue his boyfriend from Neron.

It helps that, though he's obviously a Batman expy, he's really not much like Batman at all. He's all impeccable skills and the ability to predict any fight before it starts, because he was horribly abused, experimented on and tortured as a child. Not so much with the wealthy masterminding, he's a 90s grimdarkedgy character all the way, but with a prominent positive lifeline in Apollo that lets the character play a full range of character beats.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

A Strange Aeon posted:

I thought it had something to do with Earth being the center of the multiverse or something like that.

Also the Extremists (DC) are expies of Marvel villains, and Firestorm is an expy of Spiderman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Expy is a dumb term, didn't we already have a term for a DC character who is basically a Marvel character and vice versa?

Anyways

LOSH/Imperial Guard.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

purple death ray posted:

My favorites are every single one of DCs attempts to make a Spider-Man

Let's give Superboy a webgun, a jacket, and goggles! It will be radical!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I feel like maybe I chose my wording poorly here. Ah, well. There's also recursive stuff like Mongul, who is a knockoff Thanos, who is a knockoff Darkseid.

Zoro posted:

Let's give Superboy a webgun, a jacket, and goggles! It will be radical!

That's literally Amalgam Comics Spider-Boy.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

KaosMachina posted:

I feel like maybe I chose my wording poorly here. Ah, well. There's also recursive stuff like Mongul, who is a knockoff Thanos, who is a knockoff Darkseid.

That's literally Amalgam Comics Spider-Boy.

Now, I'm just wondering if I subconsciously remembered this or it's just a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

KaosMachina posted:

I dunno if you chose your wording poorly but I agree with Rhyno that "expy" is a dumb term and with Wheat Loaf that TVTropes tries to shoehorn everything into their tropes.

BTW Thanos was originally planned to be more of a Metron.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 2, 2017

• Locked thread