Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I wonder how long a 20KLY route calculation will take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

one of the asteroid bases.
Eh, I always forget these things were added. And megaships and geysers and so on. Thank you for reminding me, I have to take a look at them too.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

John F Bennett posted:

I wonder how long a 20KLY route calculation will take.

It's actually not that much longer than the previous 1kLY route plots, it looks like there's been some serious optimizations in the route-finding algorithm

Plotting routes that are 1kly are now lightning quick too.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Dwesa posted:

Eh, I always forget these things were added. And megaships and geysers and so on. Thank you for reminding me, I have to take a look at them too.

Where can I find these things? I haven't seen any either...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Where do I pick up that ancient ruins mission? Sounds awesome.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just stripped down and traded in my diamondback explorer for an asp explorer, and I kind of wish I hadn't. It does have a ton of weapon slots, making it tempting to put a whole mining job in there, but my main money maker so far has been space trucking and scanning things. I'd also like to see the rest of the galaxy a bit, but I lost two lightyears trading up. I guess I'm asking is what everyone else uses their asp ex for and what you put in it.

This is mine so far, to the best of my recollection

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0pftfFfljdfsof51b1b17172h2h00010204044e012t012i2f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Reputation

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

I just stripped down and traded in my diamondback explorer for an asp explorer, and I kind of wish I hadn't. It does have a ton of weapon slots, making it tempting to put a whole mining job in there, but my main money maker so far has been space trucking and scanning things. I'd also like to see the rest of the galaxy a bit, but I lost two lightyears trading up. I guess I'm asking is what everyone else uses their asp ex for and what you put in it.

This is mine so far, to the best of my recollection

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0pftfFfljdfsof51b1b17172h2h00010204044e012t012i2f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Reputation

If you want to be able to trade, explore, and fight all with the same ship, it's not going to be very good at any of them.

If you want to go out and do some real exploration there's a lot of changes to make to that build. Lose the weapons, chaff, shield booster and ECM. Put on a smaller shield and put on the biggest fuel-scoop you can fit. Change out your power distributor for the lightest one you can(if you think you'll need to boost, then the smallest one that will let you boost). D rank your sensors and life-support. Use the smallest power-plant you can.

Something like this https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0p0tdFflid5snf5------02---3c-0143012i2f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Reputation

You can toss another fuel tank in there to give yourself more range between scoops, and a little work on the FSD at an engineer will get you jump range into the 40's.

Edit: also, more heat sinks and Auto Field-Maintenance Units to taste.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Oh my god that's honestly what I wanted, permission to ditch some of those slots. I'm not kidding, the way everyone else decks their poo poo out I've felt naked unless they're all full. Definitely dumping some of the obvious slots (2e cargo rack lol) for an amfu, although I do like the big cargo hold for trips back to the bubble.

I'm actually complete poo poo at fighting right now, and am trucking to fund a viper and a vulture that are both half built in storage. I mostly stuck weapons on the front of this asp to--again--fill slots, and for that emergency "I need guns now" situation that honestly hasn't come up yet. Gun-less sounds risky, but I've honestly never needed them unless I started or went looking for a fight.

I'm nervous about a smaller power plant, but I'll bet getting rid of (most of...) the guns will make it work. Space garage time!

e also smaller shield like C or smaller shield like 3, I think I tried going down a size and it didn't fit anymore

e2 ok I get it, this is going to be good. Thank you!

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 9, 2017

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Yes, the AspX is a JOAT, but it's probably neck and neck with the DBX for long-haul passenger missions, which can be pretty lucrative. It can't get to the absurd engineered jump range that the DBX can, but it can hold better and more Passenger compartments, giving you a broader range of missions and it can hold a much better fuel scoop.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Inspector Hound posted:

I mostly stuck weapons on the front of this asp to--again--fill slots, and for that emergency "I need guns now" situation that honestly hasn't come up yet. Gun-less sounds risky, but I've honestly never needed them unless I started or went looking for a fight.

I'm nervous about a smaller power plant, but I'll bet getting rid of (most of...) the guns will make it work. Space garage time!

e also smaller shield like C or smaller shield like 3, I think I tried going down a size and it didn't fit anymore

e2 ok I get it, this is going to be good. Thank you!

You don't need guns man. Having guns really just gives you the opportunity to make really stupid decisions, when the only smart decision is "boost away and high wake out"

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

GutBomb posted:

Where do I pick up that ancient ruins mission? Sounds awesome.

Go to Meene, dock in Felice Dock, and you'll get a message from Ram Tah. Or maybe you'll get the message after flying into Meene not sure. If you don't know how to do it look up a guide. Pretty much necessary.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If you want to make money, :google: the Road to Riches.

Thank you for this! I'm making some serious bank with this and exploring various systems. I've even become a first time discoverer on some new things! (Belts but still!)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Dont scan belts. They are worthless.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TopHatGenius posted:

Thank you for this! I'm making some serious bank with this and exploring various systems. I've even become a first time discoverer on some new things! (Belts but still!)

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Dont scan belts. They are worthless.

The belts you should be looking for if you want to make money exploring is large swaths of neutron stars. They're worth a decent amount on their own, and they have an oddly high chance of containing all types of “worlds”, including those very precious terraformable water worlds. Binary systems with a neutron main, in particular, tend to swarm with terraformables.

This system is perhaps not the norm, as such, but it's far from some kind of rare freak occurrence:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

To clarify i was talking about asteroid clusters.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

To clarify i was talking about asteroid clusters.

Quite. I was merely tagging on a kind of “think bigger” approach to your sound advice.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Sure. The only belts I scanned were ones that were close enough to the star after exiting Hyperspace. Which was only 3 in the end of my first outing.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
That https://coriolis.edcd.io site, the Offence simulation bit, it doesn't seem to factor in Corrosive Shell, if I'm reading it right? When the opponent is set to something like a typical shield boosted + armoured Anaconda, the time to remove hull is the same.

Class 4 Multi Cannon with Overcharged 5 + frags
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/fer...owUJQA%3D&bn=G2

Class 4 Multi Canon with Overcharged 5 + Corrosive Shell + frags
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/fer...owUJQA%3D&bn=G3

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TopHatGenius posted:

Sure. The only belts I scanned were ones that were close enough to the star after exiting Hyperspace. Which was only 3 in the end of my first outing.

I'm still not understanding why Frontier hasn't done anything about belts being useless since 2014. It's getting ridiculous now. Reminds me a bit of the bug with my exploration data display. Since that display first showed up in-game it was bugged, but Frontier never did anything about this. One would think repairing a broken display and adding some numbers to asteroid belt scan data is easy, but apparently it's really, really hard? :shrug:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
2.4 seems to fix a few bugs that have been in game since before launch, so there is hope.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mike the TV posted:

2.4 seems to fix a few bugs that have been in game since before launch, so there is hope.

I believe that when I one day log in and see my explo display not claiming that I was already at the other end of the galaxy.

Of course, with my luck that particular bug will be fixed the day after I reach the farthest point on the other side, so I won't be able to tell anyway. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh, and something I found when I went looking if Frontier had noticed my latest bug report:

All Thargoids are females is a false claim Scavenger is a performing fertilization as 2nd Male

No explanation from my side, the title of that link says it all.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Libluini posted:

Oh, and something I found when I went looking if Frontier had noticed my latest bug report:

All Thargoids are females is a false claim Scavenger is a performing fertilization as 2nd Male

Jesus wept.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Where can I find these things? I haven't seen any either...
Locations of megaships and asteroid bases can be found at eddb in stations section, you can filter them by station type.
You can also filter bodies at eddb by type of volcanism, but so far, I stil haven't done some sightseeing, so I don't know. But many passenger missions want you to visit some geysers.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just got my first Elite in exploration. Yay.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Just got my first Elite in exploration. Yay.

Honestly, read my post history and then be ashamed for me that exploration will be my last Elite.

...still waiting for my retroactive bonuses for the increased payouts. :colbert:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I need wake scans for FSD upgrades.. Should i go to the CG in open and use a sidewinder to scan everything?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I need wake scans for FSD upgrades.. Should i go to the CG in open and use a sidewinder to scan everything?

Find a famine system and drop into the distribution center. Constant npcs jumping in and out forever. Do be careful, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMbPqeXKw0g

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Libluini posted:

It would be incorrect even if they were all the same, then they'd just be asexual.

But I'm pretty sure this dude needs there to be males for his adult-rated fanfic.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

It would be incorrect even if they were all the same, then they'd just be asexual.

Uh, no? Having a gender is separate from type of reproduction. For example, both bacteria and a weird kind of lizard (brought up in that thread as counter-argument to the OP) are capable of asexual reproduction, but the lizards are females, the bacteria clearly not. Bacteria don't have genders, so if the Thargoids were bacteria instead of some kind of insectoid, you would be right.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
This game has some great moments.

First was when I was attempting to supercharge my FSD in a Neutron Star, some NPC attempted to interdict me while I was in the cone. Real fukken scary moment.

Then later that day, I wanted to see what would happen if you ran into a black hole. Nothing at all but once I hit the body exclusion zone a bunch of police NPCs jumped in and scanned me down...in the middle of two black holes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TopHatGenius posted:

This game has some great moments.

First was when I was attempting to supercharge my FSD in a Neutron Star, some NPC attempted to interdict me while I was in the cone. Real fukken scary moment.

Then later that day, I wanted to see what would happen if you ran into a black hole. Nothing at all but once I hit the body exclusion zone a bunch of police NPCs jumped in and scanned me down...in the middle of two black holes.

I wish we had an override for the body exclusion zones, I don't want my board computer to save me if I want to suicide my ship into a black hole!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Libluini posted:

I wish we had an override for the body exclusion zones, I don't want my board computer to save me if I want to suicide my ship into a black hole!

Back in Elite 2: Frontier, F8 was the command to jump to your selected destination, and hitting Alt+F8 was a manual override command. Your destination? Anywhere.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Libluini posted:

Exclusion zones are the point where the gravity well kicks your hyperdrive in the nuts, they can't be overidden.

Unless you get a hyperdrive without nuts, which is no kind of hyperdrive at all.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ak Gara posted:

Back in Elite 2: Frontier, F8 was the command to jump to your selected destination, and hitting Alt+F8 was a manual override command. Your destination? Anywhere.

I would like to be able to just select a random star that I can see from the main cockpit display and then either jump direct or plot a route depending on distance. (assuming there isn't some way of doing this)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

Exclusion zones are the point where the gravity well kicks your hyperdrive in the nuts, they can't be overidden.

Unless you get a hyperdrive without nuts, which is no kind of hyperdrive at all.

No, you also get "exclusion zones" when you're in normal space. I've tried a couple times to get really close to a black hole, but if you get close enough you just get teleported back to the border of the zone. Boring!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Libluini posted:

Uh, no? Having a gender is separate from type of reproduction. For example, both bacteria and a weird kind of lizard (brought up in that thread as counter-argument to the OP) are capable of asexual reproduction, but the lizards are females, the bacteria clearly not. Bacteria don't have genders, so if the Thargoids were bacteria instead of some kind of insectoid, you would be right.

Yeah, fine.

It's still for disgusting fan fic.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Libluini posted:

No, you also get "exclusion zones" when you're in normal space. I've tried a couple times to get really close to a black hole, but if you get close enough you just get teleported back to the border of the zone. Boring!

Oh, this is kind of anti-climactic. I just took a tourist to the Maia black hole, and it was tense as hell getting closer and closer to the beacon while space and light warped into a fun house mirror all around me wondering if I was about to get a bunch of alarms all at once and then explode. I thought I'd escaped by the skin of my teeth.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yeah, fine.

It's still for disgusting fan fic.

True! It's just so weird that he can't ignore Frontier's opinion on the matter. The other guy just doubled down on "Guardians have huge tits" regardless of what Frontier said. This guy for some reason is unable to write wank-fiction if it isn't approved by Frontier. That's just a really weird hang-up to have, and I can't stop thinking about why the hell he even cares that Frontier made Thargoids all-female/asexual.

He isn't even going "gently caress you Frontier, time for lesbian fan fics!", he just wants goddamn males

I feel psychologists would have a field day with this weirdo

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Libluini posted:

I feel psychologists would have a field day with at least half the brown sea posters
Slight correction there. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I got a navy mission (to get promoted from midshipman) to steal some poo poo from some clean ship. Kinda hosed up for an official navy mission but whatever. Anyway it was my first time doing any sort of piracy and I hosed it up. Dude high waked on me after the third hatchbreaker limpet was done dumping some of his poo poo and the cops started shooting at me so I jumped back home and abandoned the mission. Got another one to assasinate some pirate lord and went and did it easily. As soon as he was dead the mission completely disappeared from my transactions and when I went back to the issuing station it wasn't available to hand in. Now the stations I'm friendly with don't have any navy missions even after logging out and board switching. Worth contacting support over or just try again tomorrow?

• Locked thread