Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Elman posted:

I like the game a lot (then again I only just bought it) but I feel like button mapping is the exact opposite of what that game needs. It's clearly meant to be played with motion controls, making regular controls easier and more convenient was a bad idea that turns it into a really dull traditional fighting game.

I still enjoy it a lot and I refuse to use anything but motion controls, but it sucks to go online and feel like I'm being punished for it.

Regular controls are already better than motion controls, now they are in every way superior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Switch is so good that console wars are dead and people have Switch Subconsole wars instead.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Regular controls are already better than motion controls, now they are in every way superior

Being stuck with narrow throws is very lovely tho...much like the depth and long term appeal of arms

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lego worlds is pretty good but yeah the frame rate is pretty bad. The graphics are pretty fuzzy looking too.

I'm having a lot of fun with it despite the issues.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Real hurthling! posted:

Its content light with none of the depth or character diversity of a real fighter.

Real Fighters are for turbonerd no-lifers.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Real hurthling! posted:

Its content light with none of the depth or character diversity of a real fighter.

It launched with more content than SFV

Now excuse me while I step over this low bar.

Arms is fun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its fun for free weekends

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
hey nerds i want a switch

is it still a "jump on any opportunity because GOOD LUCK" situation, or can I walk into most stores and hopefully find one?

I'm in Austin and uhh so far everything I've checked seems out of stock :/

There's some on ebay for like $350 but I'd like to pay MSRP if possible cuz ya

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

KingSlime posted:

hey nerds i want a switch

is it still a "jump on any opportunity because GOOD LUCK" situation, or can I walk into most stores and hopefully find one?

I'm in Austin and uhh so far everything I've checked seems out of stock :/

There's some on ebay for like $350 but I'd like to pay MSRP if possible cuz ya

This morning you had a good chance of getting the Splatoon Switch Bundle at Walmart. They had a lot of stock. Don't know what your shot is moving forward.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

JackDarko posted:

This morning you had a good chance of getting the Splatoon Switch Bundle at Walmart. They had a lot of stock. Don't know what your shot is moving forward.

ehh i'd rather hold out for a regular bundle or a zelda bundle

guess I'll try calling around tomorrow, see what's up

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Saw a bunch of Switches on Thursday at a local Target, but with Nintendo putting out the word to expect holiday shortages, I wouldn't expect that to last.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Real hurthling! posted:

So it isn't Tekken: so what? It's a more streamlined fighting game without the need to learn poo poo-load of different combos just to get good at it. Actually, I don't know if it should be called a fighter in the common sense, considering it has more in common with boxing than your typical mixed martial arts fantasy fighter. Comparing it to your regular big name fighter might miss the point in what makes ARMS unique.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rexroom posted:

So it isn't Tekken: so what? It's a more streamlined fighting game without the need to learn poo poo-load of different combos just to get good at it. Actually, I don't know if it should be called a fighter in the common sense, considering it has more in common with boxing than your typical mixed martial arts fantasy fighter. Comparing it to your regular big name fighter might miss the point in what makes ARMS unique.

This post will seem really bad to you later if you get a chance to play an actually good 3d arena combat game like gundam vs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KingSlime posted:

Splatoon 2 is really good and well worth playing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I see plenty of Switch sales online just following Wario 64 on Twitter.

Best Buy had a literal stack of them for the Nintendo World Championships qualifier the other week... so the guy in Texas probably missed out on when they were in Dallas the other weekend

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Please do not read the spoiler text if you do not smoke weed.

shovel knight is fun to play while high

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Real hurthling! posted:

This post will seem really bad to you later if you get a chance to play an actually good 3d arena combat game like gundam vs.

Perhaps, but I don't care for mecha themed games anyway, so eh.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

GoldfishStew posted:

quoted for truth

also good: slime san

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GoldfishStew posted:

What about when loving a real doll?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

EBGames Australia hosed up and announced a Aragami for the Switch ahead of a proper announcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjw9Illenu8

Ninjas!

--------------

Those cool as gently caress Uniqlo x Nintendo shirts are heading down under starting October 6th for all us Aussies :slick:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I enjoy the core concept of ARMS but what the game needs is a more robust single player mode or perhaps even an adventure mode with a story. I feel like these characters would be very fun in a linear beat em up with platforming elements

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I would have been more interested in a new Punch Out game as opposed to ARMS.

I'm not saying ARMS is bad, I'm just saying I would have liked a new Punch Out game more.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Aragami is a cool stealth game but its PC version controls like absolute trash loving garbage so I might give it another shot here.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

One that lets me smack the poo poo out of Floyd Mayweather.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I enjoy the core concept of [insert any fighting game] but what the game needs is a more robust single player mode or perhaps even an adventure mode with a story. I feel like these characters would be very fun in a linear beat em up with platforming elements

ftfy. Only NRS games try to do anything about this

Most fighting games are, "Do you enjoy the systems enough to play it competitively?". If you have no interest in competitive play or if you don't enjoy the systems, then the game won't be for you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ventana posted:

ftfy. Only NRS games try to do anything about this

Most fighting games are, "Do you enjoy the systems enough to play it competitively?". If you have no interest in competitive play or if you don't enjoy the systems, then the game won't be for you.

Street Fighter V and Tekken 7 both have proper story modes. It's the new standard for fighting games. Splatoon 2 also has a great singleplayer mode. ARMS could definitely support a unique single player mode and it's disappointing that it doesn't have one.

Also disappointing is the lack of a Little Mac cameo besides a Spring Man colour pallet.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

SFV & Tekken 7's Story modes are kinda bad.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

KingSlime posted:

I've been checking Best Buy's site and reserved one for in-store pickup. They'll hold it for 5 days, so it may just be worth looking online to see if they have any stock.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

While the game could use a more robust single player, I do not think story mode is what is holding ARMS back. With how the game plays, adding something like that wouldn't do much aside add lore to arcade style matches.

jetpackhewy fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 9, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Golden Goat posted:

Yes but they're there and more fighting games are going to have similar campaigns going forward

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

angel opportunity posted:

Does going back and doing the challenges in Mario vs. Rabbids before I beat the game make the rest of the game too easy? I just barely killed the boss of World 2 and it felt like I've been getting progressively more underpowered. I don't want to accidentally get too many things from the challenge mode and turn the rest of the game into a cakewalk though.

I did all the challenges and secret stage after each world and I have been able to perfect all the main stages with only a few tries. Maybe I'm just a tactical genius though :cool:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does Pokken Tournament have a story mode

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yes but they're there and more fighting games are going to have similar campaigns going forward

It's become a standard yeah but honestly the only story modes that were sorta good were Injustice's and that's really cause it used existing stuff.

I'd be more open to single player modes like Soul Calibur's Weapon Master mode then having them cook up a half baked story mode.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Improbable Lobster posted:

Okay, let me clarify what I meant: NRS games are the only fighting games where the story modes don't suck. Tekken has silly stuff and some okay SP content but I wouldn't stretch that into "good".

And considering how long it takes for Capcom to learn anything, it's gonna be a loooong time before they really get how to do things well. Unless you think MVCI is gonna do well (it's not). Arcsys already has their silly story modes and don't really seem to have any need to change things. The other fighting games aren't that much different to any of this.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It does. It's not very notable.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 9, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pokken Force would be perfect for the Switch

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

SFV's is but Tekken 7's contains all the Tekken lore and therefore cannot possibly be bad.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think it does, I mean it's Pokemon so it needs to have some way of getting gym battles and badges in there.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Ended up getting Lego Worlds and within the first 10 gold bricks I had level breaking bugs and had to restart... Its kind of a mess, if it was Steam I prob would have refunded :(

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, Mewtwo is evil and you gotta go beat him up to save him.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

StabMasterArson posted:

Its kind of a mess, if it was Steam I prob would have refunded :(

If you're in Australia you can request a refund via Nintendo Australia support. They're legally obligated to provide refunds under consumer law if a product doesn't meet your expectations :slick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pokemon canon has taught me that to save Mewtwo and make him not evil you need to make him accidentally kill you.

• Locked thread