Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've worked on Enfields and ridden them (used to sell them new) and worked on and ridden a bunch of Urals. Both have build quality issues but the Enfields are a bit better. Enfield corporate is apparently trying to revamp their whole dealer system in the US so they might make a real effort to make some real bikes for export but it's yet to be seen. The bikes they have been making up until now were like, "just good enough to call a bike" bikes. No effort or engineering or anything. Enfields are actually quite fun to ride below 50mph, they are surprisingly light and handle well. Ridiculously low power though and they vibrate like poo poo at high speed (50mph).

Urals are sidecars and if you've never driven a sidecar, it's nothing at all like a solo bike. Not even close. It's like riding a quad that is easier to roll over. My personal opinion is that anything with more than 2 wheels is no fun. Urals are simple and reliable if you can tinker on them, like an old bike, but are made badly enough that they will give you problems if you can't tinker at home. I remember one whose front brake caliper bracket was made from such poor steel that it bent slowly over time and the pads were wearing at a pronounced angle. Pretty bad stuff. They're eye catching, though, people will give you attention if you ride around in one. Maybe even women will give you attention? If you ride around with a dog? Just speculating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Razzled posted:

i'm crying right now

when did space whale get a 701sm
That wasn't space whale, it was the dude that calls himself "mailbox" for some reason.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 8, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've worked on Enfields and ridden them (used to sell them new) and worked on and ridden a bunch of Urals. Both have build quality issues but the Enfields are a bit better. Enfield corporate is apparently trying to revamp their whole dealer system in the US so they might make a real effort to make some real bikes for export but it's yet to be seen. The bikes they have been making up until now were like, "just good enough to call a bike" bikes. No effort or engineering or anything. Enfields are actually quite fun to ride below 50mph, they are surprisingly light and handle well. Ridiculously low power though and they vibrate like poo poo at high speed (50mph).

Urals are sidecars and if you've never driven a sidecar, it's nothing at all like a solo bike. Not even close. It's like riding a quad that is easier to roll over. My personal opinion is that anything with more than 2 wheels is no fun. Urals are simple and reliable if you can tinker on them, like an old bike, but are made badly enough that they will give you problems if you can't tinker at home. I remember one whose front brake caliper bracket was made from such poor steel that it bent slowly over time and the pads were wearing at a pronounced angle. Pretty bad stuff. They're eye catching, though, people will give you attention if you ride around in one. Maybe even women will give you attention? If you ride around with a dog? Just speculating.

Some fun observations on my buddy's Enfield:

Pegs don't fold.
Brake pedal is very high and not adjustable to any usable degree.
Clutch is apparently binary.
A lot of the welds had been given a second coat of silver-ish paint to match the chrome. Already turned matte after 10K miles. He said this was also done on his newer Bonneville.
This is just a thumper thing I'm guessing, but on the ride from the dealership in Sturgis to Denver, he vibrated off the heat shield on the muffler, the heel guard on the header, a couple fender bolts, and the pedestrian cleaver.

He says it's just fun as hell though. The gearing is a little tall for slow hills, but forgiving enough.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought they're really fun to ride. So Urals don't come as a solo bike? That's kind of disappointing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If they do, they're rare as gently caress. I've only ever seen one. It was more awful than the average Ural, it had transmission and brake issues.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

If they do, they're rare as gently caress. I've only ever seen one. It was more awful than the average Ural, it had transmission and brake issues.

Last year Costco had both the sidecar version and the single bike through their external vendors. Don't know if they're still doing it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/5AdiM3R.mp4

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I pity the lesser 49 states.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That is absolutely ridiculous.

Doesn't he see the space to split between the cars?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

if i ever move out of cali I'm just going to lanesplit anyway

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Always Be Passing/Splitting. Splitters get coffee. If I didn't lane split my rush hour commute would be more torture than it already is.

Please don't record me at stoplights.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Motorrad" came as a recommended selection for this year's film festival:

TIFF posted:

Hugo (Guilherme Prates) is determined to fit in with his older brother's dirt-bike gang. Sneaking into a junkyard to find a much-needed motorcycle part, Hugo is apprehended by a mysterious and beautiful woman. He catches up with his brother's posse on a joyride in an isolated region of Brazil but their adventure is cut short by an ancient wall blocking their path.

Rather than let the wall stop them, they open a passage and ride on through, running into the woman from the junkyard. The group readily agrees to follow her on a remote trail. But things take an ominous turn when they inexplicably cannot find the trail back, and discover they are being hunted by a machete-wielding bike gang intent on killing them all.

Looks p. rad.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!
So basically, no prisoners with all the China, India, and Russia bits cut out?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0UKzFNki3c

I finally wrapped up the video for Cascadia supermoto, the only sumo race series in the pnw I'm aware of. Enjoy!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Chris Knight posted:

Looks p. rad.

This looks awesome! Hope Alamo Drafthouse brings it to Austin at some point

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Looks p. rad.

Wouldnt a dirt bike gang in Brazil have guns?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

JB50 posted:

Wouldnt a dirt bike gang in Brazil have guns?

Yep, and they would be wearing soccer jerseys and flip flops, not full black leathers. But hey, that Shark helmet looks cool.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pfft what is this halloween poo poo an american psycho killer would use a gun not a machete.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Florida.jpg

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:patriot:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CObtSg4LzF8

I'm sure by now we have all seen this viral video of the bikers who chase down some rednecks in sisterfuck USA. I'd like to open up a discussion on how blameless the riders are, as well as the make and model of the firearms you all carry at all times. Feel free to describe in a few sentences how many "double taps" you would have done, and if you would have "serviced tangos".

Please limit discussion related to "just riding away" and "not starting poo poo in the first place". Let's keep this civil.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
They weren't right to harass the truck, and nothing good was going to come from following it. That being said, no amount of yelling and arm waving justifies attacking someone, and I hope the person who immediately turned to violence has a nice time in jail.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Coydog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CObtSg4LzF8

I'm sure by now we have all seen this viral video of the bikers who chase down some rednecks in sisterfuck USA. I'd like to open up a discussion on how blameless the riders are, as well as the make and model of the firearms you all carry at all times. Feel free to describe in a few sentences how many "double taps" you would have done, and if you would have "serviced tangos".

Please limit discussion related to "just riding away" and "not starting poo poo in the first place". Let's keep this civil.

LOL what were the bikers mad about anyway? Having a helmet on sure didnt help the guy who got his rear end kicked. Bikers probably thought they could gently caress some poo poo up until dude showed up with the shotgun. That was the moment they knew they really hosed up.

edit: Its the old "he cut me off" canard. If you arent hurt and there was no contact just go on with your life dummy. Maybe he will next time, but I doubt it.

Group rides are stupid.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 15, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love that very particular American variation of inarticulate outrage, there's definitely a style element there that elevates it above the mere common rage of other cultures.

tjones
May 13, 2005
LOL at the dude yelling non stop.

I'm glad no one got killed and it ended up being a fist fight. Anyone know what happened before this? To me it seems like the biker was the initiating dick in this situation. If it turns out the bikers did dumb poo poo then that guy deserves the poo poo beat out of him.

LOL at the lecture at the end, god drat.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hearsay is that the truck drivers did something, or followed the riders, before the camera started rolling. Apparently the riders take this route often. Then the riders decided to do #bikerthingz and chase down the truck, maybe thinking that it would end like that helmet headbutt video.

Then things get out of control.

:lol: at that fat redneck that was panting and constantly wiping sweat off his face with his shirt while trying to get a buck knife open.

Word on the street is that the police have the rednecks on felony assault charges but who knows.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Yall enjoy yourselves I'll pray for everyone." Lol.

Tl;dw: some motherfuckers who have never seen deliverance ran into some deliverance motherfuckers.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

"Yall enjoy yourselves I'll pray for everyone." Lol.

Tl;dw: some motherfuckers who have never seen deliverance ran into some deliverance motherfuckers.

Lol

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm okay with the outcome of this situation

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

nsaP posted:

I'm okay with the outcome of this situation

Play stupid games and get your chest caved in by a redneck.

Reminds me of A Bronx Tale. I asked you politely to leave, now youse cant leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_lijLYuw-o

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lost it at Elmer Fudd coming out with the shotgun

JB50 posted:

Group rides are stupid.

gRoUp RiDeS aRe StUpID

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

hot sauce posted:

Lost it at Elmer Fudd coming out with the shotgun

gRoUp RiDeS aRe StUpID

Lol to this too

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Everyone in the video makes me so grateful to have moved out of North Texas and the surrounding region.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1862313950461958&id=706317189394979&_rdr

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
It's weird, I've been on many group rides out in the further rural areas in South Indiana, North West Wisconsin, all through Illinois, Iowa, and North Western Texas and have never been in one of these kinds of situations. Maybe the trick is not to ride with a bunch of high school/college aged kids?

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I love the guy constantly yelling "He's only 19!" as if that's an excuse for being a oval office

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Tbf, 19 is the high point on the dumb poo poo curve for many.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/v59KgnS.mp4

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I like the dirtbike's final fart of death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

The guy that checks on him is like "He dead, Im out"