Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

everytime i open a paper its always the same lovely 2 col layout. i just love it when a sentence runs six lines and have 3 words hyphenated to the next line.
researchers all use the same LATEX template

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

actually the journal supplies the template.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

please try not to summon ESR

hold on tho:

quote:

just because the tool is good at doing the job

this doesn't describe esr, he's a tool who's not good at doing the job

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Has anyone ever tried to "disrupt" academic publishing by like cutting out the journal and having like "peer 2 peer review"?

Like maybe papers would first be tentative, and anyone with academic merit in the field could be assigned to review the papers, and then after their concerns were met the paper would become published and open to the public. Maybe you couldn't publish your next paper until you finish your reviews, and you risk getting banned if you don't put some effort into your reviews or something?

IDK I just feel like academic publishing is an extremely stupid industry and it seems like exactly the sort of thing a computer science professor would love to "disrupt".

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

IDK I just feel like academic publishing is an extremely stupid industry and it seems like exactly the sort of thing a computer science professor would love to "disrupt".

it is mindfuckingly stupid but everyone who has sufficient influence to change it gains from the barriers to entry and lax standards once you're in, so

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i dunno man. all of them?

everytime i open a paper its always the same lovely 2 col layout. i just love it when a sentence runs six lines and have 3 words hyphenated to the next line.

oh and you almost never get a glossary for any terms introduced in the paper. nor will you get an index or a table of content for long papers.

in conclusion, academic paper layout blows goats QED

random blogposts on the other hand...

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

are you sure those are journals though (where pros get involved)? just getting papers off the internet you get the author-formatted one, which will often look like poo poo (especially in pl, as it has mostly the wrong kind of sperg)

VikingofRock posted:

Has anyone ever tried to "disrupt" academic publishing by like cutting out the journal and having like "peer 2 peer review"?

oh yeah, there is a lot of good stuff happening as such. notably most of the most important stuff in many areas get pushed to arxiv first and publicly debated online. the issue, as i commented earlier, is that funding is badly mixed up with historical publishers. if you are not the recognized top of the field you can't mess about with getting your research out there to ~people~. what you need is the publications at the right places, chasing those impact factors (if you don't know the term "impact factor": good, it is quite useless)

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 8, 2017

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

are you sure those are journals though (where pros get involved)? just getting papers off the internet you get the author-formatted one, which will often look like poo poo (especially in pl, as it has mostly the wrong kind of sperg)

in cs, you often publish in conferences and call it a day. so in a sense, yes, that is *the* journal version. the author was forced to use that format and received no help other than a latex template. then they put the final version with that bad formatting on their website also.

stuff tossed on the arxiv often looks better than the official version because nobody forces a bad format on you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

was just skimming through an article & omg it namedrops tef

https://www.prolificinteractive.com/2017/09/06/writing-imperfect-code/

NICE!

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Two-column formats are fine. They conserve space. The absence of glossaries and such is just part of the style; papers are not meant to be tutorials or textbooks. You get used to it, just like you get used to any efficiency-optimised style.

Some conferences (seemingly most of SIGPLAN) are moving to a new single-column layout. It's a lot more airy, but since printed proceedings are mostly a thing of the past, I guess that doesn't matter anymore. Here's an example of a paper I saw presented this week at ICFP, which uses this new style: Compiling to Categories (Directors Cut extended version). It's still up to the individual author to format properly, though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CKyle posted:

in cs, you often publish in conferences and call it a day. so in a sense, yes, that is *the* journal version. the author was forced to use that format and received no help other than a latex template. then they put the final version with that bad formatting on their website also.

stuff tossed on the arxiv often looks better than the official version because nobody forces a bad format on you

yeah, i mean, i do get what you are saying. even in cs though, journal publications are the be-all end-all for any researcher who cannot manage name recognition (i.e. 99% of them), and with journal versions of papers at least editing and professional typesetting comes in and fixes that aspect up (i personally find it to be a humbling experience to get the notes from the pro editors). however, as much as i love typesetting chat (thread anyone?), the broader issue is that the publishers do, by way of the journals, control vast amounts of research funding. it is, fantastically strangely (actually, no doubt, speaking to the good intentions of the actual people involved) not that corrupt, but it is a bad way of doing things

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

id be up for lurking a typesetting thread. theres a tex thread in sh/sc but its mostly about technical issues

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Powaqoatse posted:

id be up for lurking a typesetting thread. theres a tex thread in sh/sc but its mostly about technical issues

:yeah:

Though to be fair, any typesetting thread probably devolves into tech support and/or that one poster crowing about plain TeX, unless people want to chat about more effective ways to self-harm (HTML/JS/CSS? InDesign? Markdown + magic fairy dust? Rewriting LaTeX in COBOL?).

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if you have to read a lot of articles, two-column is the layout you want. less horizontal scanning -> easier on the eye muscles

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Hollow Talk posted:

and/or that one poster crowing about plain TeX
How upset would that dude be if I went in and extolled the virtues of Lyx?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah, i often un-maximize the browser window or zoom out on PDFs when reading long stuff that uses single-column layout. i dunno if it's my eye muscles but something about reading text full left to full right on a widescreen monitor is more tiring than skinnier columns

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
2 col is way better for reading on a phone

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

redleader posted:

2 col is way better for reading on a phone

:confused:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Gazpacho posted:

if you have to read a lot of articles, two-column is the layout you want. less horizontal scanning -> easier on the eye muscles

99% of pdfs will be read on a screen, unless you're printing them all out like a caveman

two column pdf on a screen: sure, I'll scroll down the page, then scroll back up to the top of the page to read the next column. this is definitely not at all inconvenient or hard to follow

tbf half the problem is with pdf viewers. maybe there's one that fixes this?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

dual columns loving suck on a kindle

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

MononcQc posted:

dual columns on a kindle

:stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I like to email papers to my kindle and it loving sucks

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
reading? on a device designed for reading? you loving monster

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

maybe dont like doing things that loving suck!!!

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

it's too bad the problem of typesetting according to each individual's needs a PDF with the solution to this problem of typesetting according to each individual's needs a PDF with the solution to this problem is self referential like the halting problem and thus can never be solved by computer science

the best we could hope for is an endless hierarchy of ways of typesetting a PDF that can never be complete and consistent at the same time, and well that's just not good enough :rant:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Max Facetime posted:

it's too bad the problem of typesetting according to each individual's needs a PDF with the solution to this problem of typesetting according to each individual's needs a PDF with the solution to this problem is self referential like the halting problem and thus can never be solved by computer science

the best we could hope for is an endless hierarchy of ways of typesetting a PDF that can never be complete and consistent at the same time, and well that's just not good enough :rant:

what if our pdf lang was turing complet..oh wait it already is

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, i mean, i do get what you are saying. even in cs though, journal publications are the be-all end-all for any researcher who cannot manage name recognition (i.e. 99% of them)

Wait, what are you saying here? Every CS researcher I know publishes in conferences mainly, and maybe only secondarily submits to journals to write summary/detail papers with no page limit.

I just checked the last paper I published (at a conference), and of the 56 works I cited, only six were from journals (another five were theses and tech reports).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Athas posted:

Wait, what are you saying here? Every CS researcher I know publishes in conferences mainly, and maybe only secondarily submits to journals to write summary/detail papers with no page limit.

I just checked the last paper I published (at a conference), and of the 56 works I cited, only six were from journals (another five were theses and tech reports).

i rather overstated it, and it depends on subfield and a bit on what you are pressured to do, but certainly in theory (and many of the adjacent areas) anything actually good is expected to make it into a journal eventually. often projects will go 2-4 conference papers and then restate the collected results in a journal version (and any research endeavor that does not manage that will by many be viewed as suspect)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Athas posted:

my anecdote is different, therefore your claim is obviously suspect. furthermore,

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
even if your work will eventually be expanded into a journal paper, that's gonna take years of back-and-forth, and you need to pad your cv with prestigious conference papers right now if you want to ________________

replace blank with the following phrase depending on what decade it is:
1980s: get tenure
1990s: get a tenure-track position
2000s: get a postdoc
2010s: get into grad school
2020s: even look at a grad school

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my anecdote is different, therefore your claim is obviously suspect. furthermore,

Maybe I'm just caught in my own bubble (I know the algorithmics researchers seem to like journals somewhat more, but still seem to prefer conferences), but Google's dubious list of ACM activities ranked by the known perfect metric of citation count also seems to support the idea that people tend to cite conferences more than journals (although both #1 and #3 are journals): https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&view_op=search_venues&vq=ACM&btnG=

In the PL community the conference dominance has become so great that SIGPLAN is now trying to get the conferences to go along with publishing their papers (after a second review process) in a new journal called PACMPL. The problem this is trying to solve is that some researchers are employed by stupid universities that use stupid metrics to determine your value as a human being, and these stupid metrics only count journal publications, not conferences.

What I'm saying is that citation metrics are gay and fake.

Athas fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 10, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Athas posted:

Maybe I'm just caught in my own bubble (I know the algorithmics researchers seem to like journals somewhat more, but still seem to prefer conferences), but Google's dubious list of ACM activities ranked by the known perfect metric of citation count also seems to support the idea that people tend to cite conferences more than journals (although both #1 and #3 are journals): https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&view_op=search_venues&vq=ACM&btnG=

In the PL community the conference dominance has become so great that SIGPLAN is now trying to get the conferences to go along with publishing their papers (after a second review process) in a new journal called PACMPL. The problem this is trying to solve is that some researchers are employed by stupid universities that use stupid metrics to determine your value as a human being, and these stupid metrics only count journal publications, not conferences.

gay! Hahahahaha

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Athas posted:

don't

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
i agree, they are very good :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im an extremely heterosexual citation metric

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
If your citation ring has an odd number of researchers you're guaranteed at least one homosexual citation.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

playground rules:

if you and someone else both get cited in a paper, that means youre a couple forever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im gay

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hi gay, i'm dad!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Powaqoatse posted:

playground rules:

if you and someone else both get cited in a paper, that means youre a couple forever

Paul Erdős was polyamorous