Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

I saw launching it a few times tonight and I was thinking about booting it up myself and doing a middle eastern region run :cheers:

the next patch is some huge middle east overhaul where everyone gets like five vassals so probably better holding off anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Claw. I live for Izuna Drops

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

i grew up having to make freakin' boot discs with custom config.sys and autoexec.bat files for certain games (Ultima 6 :argh: ) and yet after an entire day of trying i couldn't get Alan Wake to run on this laptop despite exceeding the specs

If Alan Wake was preventing you from playing it, it was only doing you a favor.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

that's a funny joke but i don't remember people literally being made of paper in the old games. now it's all they talk about

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mario in flatland was a good game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i liked when ttyd just used the paper look as a joke for all the demon chests gloating about how they'd horrifically hosed up your body with a variety of ways to contort it into useful shapes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also this may be the worst combat i've ever seen in a jrpg like goddamn

and if you're going to make combat have basically no reward while destroying your resources, maybe just... don't put so much in! it's ok to not have a ton of combat!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

corn in the bible posted:

that's a funny joke but i don't remember people literally being made of paper in the old games. now it's all they talk about

Color Splash is a game that I felt had very clever and funny writing, fun setpiece events and locales and an absolutely mindnumingly tedious and bad combat system. It'd legitimately be a better game if it was LESS of an RPG because except for some rare combat gimmicks that are amusing the combat is just repetitive, boring and slow.

I still managed to really enjoy the game for everything except its combat though. Amazing how it managed to make me actually like a bunch of Toads.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not that they're hard at all, but Paper Mario does seem like the type of series that would benefit from a more or less autoplay mode in battles.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chumbler posted:

Not that they're hard at all, but Paper Mario does seem like the type of series that would benefit from a more or less autoplay mode in battles.

color splash is even worse in that regard because you use up cards to attack, and you often get nothing back when you win. so you use up resources to do something which isn't fun and doesn't even make your character stronger. even the fabled Timed Hits are bad in it because there's only three kinds and they're all mindlessly easy, yet also necessary to win every fight

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the game is always feeding you a stream of better cards (or resources to buy cards) to replace the ones you use, but that doesn't change the basic mechanics of the combat. it's essentially the same core that botw used to justify durability, just that game obviously has more complexity in how you can use resources in combat.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It doesn't have a cool sailor captain bob-omb partner to follow you around and blow poo poo up

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dogsicle posted:

the game is always feeding you a stream of better cards (or resources to buy cards) to replace the ones you use, but that doesn't change the basic mechanics of the combat. it's essentially the same core that botw used to justify durability, just that game obviously has more complexity in how you can use resources in combat.

yeah, and durability is bad in botw too. if the only defense of your game's mechanics is that they don't matter, maybe don't include them?

if the only benefit of fighting enemies is to be able to continue fighting the same enemies, and nothing else changes, what's the point?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i feel like nintendo has forgotten that you have to actually change things up at some point, whether by adding new tools or at letting the player feel more powerful. if the game is exactly the same at the beginning of your game as it will be at the end, why bother?

in BOTW at least later enemies also have tougher patterns and stuff, which means there's a progression in that sense. in a normal rpg you get new skills and spells, and maybe some neat utility stuff you can play around with. in a crappy, basic rpg you at least get to see the numbers go higher and the animations get flashier. but color splash is even more basic an experience, so you don't even get that. do the hammer minigame, over and over, forever.

the dialog and setpieces are cool. maybe they should have made it a straight action adventure like SPM was

e: actually, yeah, why didn't they just do super paper mario again? that's a better fit for the kind of game they seem to want to make

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 9, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Games should be exactly the same at the end as they are at the beginning

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's why I want a NG+ risky boots mode

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The gun upgrades in Risky Boots are nuts. You go from a worthless pea shooter with any of the ammos to a Contra gun.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
spm was an ok game so i'd be slightly more interested in the newer games if they were in that gameplay style if they're never gonna return to ttyd

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah, and durability is bad in botw too. if the only defense of your game's mechanics is that they don't matter, maybe don't include them?

if the only benefit of fighting enemies is to be able to continue fighting the same enemies, and nothing else changes, what's the point?

i mean, i also think the durability system in botw is bad and should be taken to task on the level of color splash
but it isn't happening :sigh:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

The gun upgrades in Risky Boots are nuts. You go from a worthless pea shooter with any of the ammos to a Contra gun.

It's the mega buster by the end but also you never use it because you just upgrade all your mobility and health

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the big thing i'll always miss about early mario rpgs is the ones that just drop you in a foreign setting full of weird new enemies and characters that never appear again

paper mario 64 was fun for just fleshing out the mushroom kingdom but rogueport and the bean bean kingdom in ttyd and superstar saga have always stuck with me as really fun, unusual places to just run around in, especially with all the bizarre enemy and character designs in superstar saga

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
but anyway the only good rpg nintendo has ever published is tomato adventure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

but anyway the only good rpg nintendo has ever published is tomato adventure

?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

it's the game the mario & luigi devs made before m&l. the mother 3 translation guy was gonna tl it but it turned out to be too much work so he just released the tools so anybody interested in doing it could make their own patch but nobody ended up picking it up. i don't actually know if it's the best rpg nintendo has ever published

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Id play it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BotW does have a progression though? It's probably different on a second run once you've accumulated skill and experience with the game (and that's not a bad thing), but in my experience, progressing meant picking up equipment, stamina upgrades, rare weapons that become progressively more common, and dungeon abilities that significantly changed how I was able to traverse stuff and approach situations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Motto posted:

BotW does have a progression though? It's probably different on a second run once you've accumulated skill and experience with the game (and that's not a bad thing), but in my experience, progressing meant picking up equipment, stamina upgrades, rare weapons that become progressively more common, and dungeon abilities that significantly changed how I was able to traverse stuff and approach situations.

Progressing in the manner you describe requires doing shrines and no loving way i ever do any of those again.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

you still consume resources (weapons in botw and cards in color splash) via combat that then serves to only replenish spent resources (usually with weapons or cards of equal/greater quality, but not always). botw's system has options that exist outside the loop (runes, blessings), but the stamina progression is mirrored in color splash's upgradeable paint tank.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You all have modern gaming aids if you're talking about resources and loops.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The gameplay of Splatoon 2 hasn't changed since hour 2 and I'm approaching 150 hours.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

The gameplay of Splatoon 2 hasn't changed since hour 2 and I'm approaching 150 hours.

Its fun

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

You all have modern gaming aids if you're talking about resources and loops.

but the core gameplay loop is something i have to consider at all times

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

splatoon is multiplayer and you get to beat your friends or enemies, your PROGRESS is that you get better and win more cause you're good

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I've beaten Metroid II. That's a rough game in a lot of ways, though it really made me appreciate the changes Super brought to the series more when previously I didn't like it that much after coming off of Fusion.

Really curious to see how Samus Returns reimagines this now.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 9, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

splatoon is multiplayer and you get to beat your friends or enemies, your PROGRESS is that you get better and win more cause you're good

Youre right. I am good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I reached S+ triple, Ive gotten the superbonus in nearly every salmon run, and I even speed ran the single player sub 90. Now I'm just making highly specific memes about particular patches

splatoon 2 broke my brain

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

you still consume resources (weapons in botw and cards in color splash) via combat that then serves to only replenish spent resources (usually with weapons or cards of equal/greater quality, but not always). botw's system has options that exist outside the loop (runes, blessings), but the stamina progression is mirrored in color splash's upgradeable paint tank.

I wasn't talking about color splash at all tbh, just the idea that botw never gives you new tools or lets you feel stronger.

e: though pointing to color splash and botw as defining all of Nintendo's output is kind of silly from the start ig

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Actually Splatoon 2 has gear locked behind level gating and by my calculations I will get to the last one at level 30 with approximately 100 hours of play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Replaying Zero Mission in anticipation for Samus Returns. 13 years later its still a dope game.

• Locked thread