Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

logikv9 posted:

i removed the ] but i'm not centering it because that would center your avatar too and i didn't think that you would want that

thank you for removing my mole, let me know the results of the biopsy

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
i still see the mole

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i already know i have terminal fail aids so dont bother if thats all u get back from the lab

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

mods lied soldiers died

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

Finally mods move away from the center.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Zaxby's loving rules.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

docbeard posted:

I'll admit, I was super skeptical about Bernie during the primary. Not about his intentions, but about his ability, and, a bit, about how well he could resist the temptation to, well, do what Hillary's doing now, I guess.

I don't really know what's in his heart, only he knows that. But he is like the platonic ideal of dutiful service to party, country, and principle in the things he does, and if it's an act, it's a really loving good one.

The reason I say (and I'm not really joking when I say it) that he's a Democrat is because I can't think of someone who's done more in tireless, thankless service for the Democratic Party in 2016 and 2017 than Bernie Sanders, while constantly being poo poo on for being this divisive figure when he's the exact loving opposite.

If he does run in 2020, then he has my unwavering...well, okay, if it's between him and Keith Ellison in the primary somehow, that'll be an interesting day. But yeah. I'm on Team Bernie for the foreseeable. Dude's earned my respect and my trust.

(Still don't think he'd have won, though.)

Yeah. Particularly (and I think it was you who said it originally) her reaction to being around convicted criminals being one of "they're...they laugh and love and cry almost like they're real people". I had to re-evaluate a lot of things that day.

Mods??????

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Hound posted:

Zaxby's loving rules.

zaxby's sucks and is even more overpriced than chick fil a

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Raising Cane’s is the Iron Man 1 of chicken finger fast food chains.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
zaxby's is expensive, but absent anything else (lol if i'm spending money at chik-fil-a -- even if dan cathy wasn't an rear end in a top hat that supported uganda's kill-the-gays bill i don't make it a point to eat more than once at places where i get food poisoning) i'll go there on special occasions.

they have good seasoned fries.

and that's my hot take on hot food. good night and god bless

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Sep 9, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Al! posted:

oh my god there was a "hillary clinton ate my balls"

stared at this for a while, became powerful, immune to women's lies

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Popeye's is the only acceptable fast food chicken place, they have good food, good prices, and they serve biscuits and not that stupid Texas Toast bullshit.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Popeye’s is the John Wick: Chapter 2 of chicken finger fast food chains.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shamelessly stolen

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Chick-Fil-A is the Dark Souls of chicken fingers

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Shamelessly stolen

no kid in wheelchair? this isnt the diversity hillary promised...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darkman Fanpage posted:

no kid in wheelchair? this isnt the diversity hillary promised...

When was the last time liberals even mentioned the disabled

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'd rather her be forgotten, and people bringing her up are considered insane and ostracized.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i find the thread title insulting, cause android 18 is cool and good, while hillary is not

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Inspector Hound posted:

Zaxby's loving rules.

zaxby's closes at 9 or 10pm

COOKOUT IS OPEN ALL NIGHT IF YOU'RE LUCKY

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
also, today i was incredibly bored and started reading the d&d trump thread and it might have been the most precious thing i've seen in a long while. it's september 2017 and people are still screaming at the mods about "they're talking about the primary again!!!" in between posts of asking what verrit is and admitting "i don't know that much about foreign policy, but i think clinton was the better choice in that department over sanders because experience is important".

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I may not be Android 18,
but I am managing to self-destruct.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Phone posted:

also, today i was incredibly bored and started reading the d&d trump thread and it might have been the most precious thing i've seen in a long while. it's september 2017 and people are still screaming at the mods about "they're talking about the primary again!!!" in between posts of asking what verrit is and admitting "i don't know that much about foreign policy, but i think clinton was the better choice in that department over sanders because experience is important".

they're going to be like that all the way up to 2019 and then they won't be able to hide from primary talk anymore and it is going to be :discourse:

btw it's not just d&d. go to any liberal holdout on other sites and it's the exact same thing. they do not want to be reminded of how hard hillary and other establishment dems failed and are now trying to preach unity and "let's move on guys!!" lmao

The Ol Spicy Keychain has issued a correction as of 08:37 on Sep 9, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

anime was right posted:

my opinion of hillary clinton has gone something from like "yeah shes pretty good" to "holy poo poo how is she this bad" in the span of like 10 months its absolutely incredible

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

anime was right posted:

a huge part of it was the slave thing to be honest. had i known that while she was still running i may have not even voted for her.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

etalian posted:

Despite her alleged friendships with these men, Clinton tells her readers: “We enforced rules strictly and sent back to prison any inmate who broke a rule.” Despite having no psychological qualifications, she later asserts that these men did not have “inferior IQs or an inability to apply moral reasoning” but instead they may have been “emotional illiterates.”

@hillary
:chloe:

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 09:34 on Sep 9, 2017

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Know Such Peace posted:

I may not be Android 18,
but I am managing to self-destruct.

Androids 17 and 18 had no control over their bombs, it was an insurance policy of Dr. Gero. Besides krillen deactivated them with a dragon wish

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

and now android 17 is a park ranger and hangs out with animals all day and protects them from (sometimes intergalactic) poachers

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

"The state of Arkansas used convict labor on state-owned properties for maintenance."

"OH MY GAWD HILLARY OWNED SLAVES"

I worked in a prison and the inmates cleaned my classroom and office. Did I own slaves too? You guys should take the time to read about what life was like for Hillary Clinton in Arkansas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

"The state of Arkansas used convict labor on state-owned properties for maintenance."

"OH MY GAWD HILLARY OWNED SLAVES"

I worked in a prison and the inmates cleaned my classroom and office. Did I own slaves too? You guys should take the time to read about what life was like for Hillary Clinton in Arkansas.

I dunno if you're being ironic but yes you did

The police and prison system is designed to deprive African-Americans of their freedom and force them to work for below legal wages

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Here are some choice excerpts from early Democratic primary debates regarding Syria and Libya. Throughout the primary, there was a lot of salt, but it's another thing when you look back after the saltshaker's finally empty.

April 14, 2016 Democratic primary debate in Brooklyn posted:

CLINTON: I -- I would just point out that there was a vote in the Senate as to whether or not the United States should support the efforts by the Libyan people to protect themselves against the threats, the genocidal threats coming from Gadhafi, and whether we should go to the United Nations to seek Security Council support. Senator Sanders voted for that, and that's exactly what we did.

SANDERS: No.

CLINTON: We went to the United Nations -- yes, he did. ... Nobody stood up to Assad and removed him, and we have had a far greater disaster in Syria than we are currently dealing with right now in Libya. ...

SANDERS: Secretary Clinton made this charge in previous debates and just repeating it doesn't make it truer. What you are talking about is what I think was what they call the unanimous consent, you know what that is, where basically, do we support Libya moving to democracy? Well, you know what, I surely have always supported Libya moving to democracy. But please do not confuse that with your active effort for regime change without contemplating what happened the day after. Totally different issue.

CLINTON: There was also in that a reference to the Security Council, and I know you're not shy when you oppose something, Senator. So, yes, it was unanimous. That's exactly right, including you.

CLINTON: Well, I think Senator Sanders has just reinforced my point. Yes, when I was secretary of state I did urge, along with the Department of Defense and the CIA that we seek out, vet, and train, and arm Syrian opposition figures so that they could defend themselves against Assad.

Here is a link to the bill in question. Here are the passages I see as most relevant.

S.Res.85 - March 1, 2011 posted:

RESOLUTION Strongly condemning the gross and systematic violations of human rights in Libya, including violent attacks on protesters demanding democratic reforms, and for other purposes.

Whereas the United Nations Security Council and the international community have condemned the violence and use of force against civilians in Libya and on February 26, 2011, the United Nations Security Council unanimously agreed to refer the ongoing situation in Libya to the International Criminal Court, impose an arms embargo on the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, including the provision of mercenary personnel, freeze the financial assets of Muammar Gadhafi and certain family members, and impose a travel ban on Gadhafi, certain family members and senior advisors;

(7) urges the United Nations Security Council to take such further action as may be necessary to protect civilians in Libya from attack, including the possible imposition of a no-fly zone over Libyan territory;

As you can see, the bill urged the U.N. Security Council and mentions possibly setting up a no-fly zone, but it doesn't authorize the U.S. to seek permission from the U.N. Security Council to set it up. Let me quote from the Congressional record:

Sen. Chuck Schumer posted:

Mr. President, I ask the resolution be agreed to, the preamble be agreed to, the motions to reconsider be laid upon the table, with no intervening action or debate, and any statements be printed in the Record.

It's pretty easy to be shy when debate isn't allowed. The U.S. imposed the no-fly zone beginning March 19. Sen. Sanders was not on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, so I assume his remarks would not be in the Congressional record. The only information I could find regarding Sanders' remarks in March 2011 is this article from FOX News, which I assume obtained them via interview.

Sen. Sanders - March 28, 2011 posted:

I think when somebody drops bombs on other people, usually I think we refer to that as a war. ... I think one of the things many people are upset about is this war took place without consultation of the Congress, without debate within the Congress. Look, everybody understands Qaddafi is a thug and murderer. We want to see him go, but i think in the midst of two wars, I'm not quite sure we need a third war, and I hope the president tells us that our troops will be leaving there, that our military action in Libya will be ending very, very shortly.

By the end of summer, there were a variety of bills proposed prohibiting or authorizing ground troops in Libya. None of the bills made it out of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee or even got to the stage where there would be open debate. Sen. Jim Webb and Sen. Joe Manchin were the only two Democratic Party cosponsors of two separate bills expressly prohibiting ground troops, joining five Republican cosponsors. My interpretation is that the debate was silenced because even the Republican support for ground troops was internally divided; six Republicans demanded the Obama administration put forward a detailed description of policy objectives. Open debate would only expose these divisions within both the Republican Party and the Democratic Party, making any possible escalation of military involvement in Libya look even less legitimate.

In short, Hillary Clinton used Bernie Sanders' support for the only Senate resolution which criticizes the human rights record in Libya to falsely paint him as an interventionist in Libya and thus a hypocrite on Syria. If Bernie Sanders had been the only one to voice objection to the bill, I am sure that she would have used that with his remarks regarding Cuba to paint him as a supporter of despotic behavior. It is part of a pattern where Clinton claims her opponent intended specifically to support or oppose a provision within a bill, when the vote was actually about another provision within the same bill. She uses this tactic reliably. It's dishonest. I think people can see through it and don't like it.

Another takeaway from this exchange is that here, Clinton wasn't even using this tactic correctly because her memory was failing. I think what happened was that she or one of her aides had seen the specific language of the bill while coming up with the attack, since it mentions a no-fly zone, but she forgot the details and blew this up into thinking Sanders at one point supported military intervention. This is ironic, because this distinction between military intervention and a no-fly zone is precisely and emphatically what she is trying to emphasize while making the case for a no-fly zone in Syria. I think it exposes a flaw, that although Clinton spends a lot of time practicing her response to debate questions, she doesn't spend a lot of time going over the details of what transpired. She thinks that because she was at the eye of the hurricane of history, she doesn't need to study the specifics and dates, when in actuality six years of time made things hazy. If she had, her disingenuous attack would have been more pointed.

October 14, 2015 first Democratic primary debate posted:

O'MALLEY: I believe that a no-fly zone in Syria, at this time, actually, Secretary, would be a mistake. You have to enforce no-fly zones, and I believe, especially with the Russian air force in the air, it could lead to an escalation because of an accident that we would deeply regret. ...

CLINTON: We are already flying in Syria just as we are flying in Iraq. The president has made a very tough decision. What I believe and why I have advocated that the no-fly zone — which of course would be in a coalition — be put on the table is because I’m trying to figure out what leverage we have to get Russia to the table. You know, diplomacy is not about getting to the perfect solution. It’s about how you balance the risks. And I think we have an opportunity here — and I know that inside the administration this is being hotly debated — to get that leverage to try to get the Russians to have to deal with everybody in the region and begin to move toward a political, diplomatic solution in Syria.

Clinton would later falsely claim during a Trump debate that she was never part of the Obama administration while it offered its red line policy. She does not elaborate here how the no-fly zone would provide the leverage, and I interpret her lack of an explanation to mean O'Malley's explanation is the leverage. She's basically saying "We need the military option in Syria for leverage against Russia. The military option is on the table." but she can't say that because it would put her more obviously in parallel with Republican rhetoric. It was part of a gradual softening of language from that time in 2008 she said the U.S. could "totally obliterate Iran" or that time in 2014 she said "every other option does remain on the table" regarding Iran. To pundits, it might matter just how circuitous the language is for "we might go to war if they don't cooperate", as this thinkpiece from The Atlantic flounders to justify, but I think most people see straight through that.

Last, I offer

TIME posted:

Just a few hours before President Donald Trump announced that the U.S. had launched 59 cruise missiles on an airfield in Syria, his former campaign rival Hillary Clinton suggested doing just that.

and some 2008 primary salt

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/feb/25/barackobama.hillaryclinton
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-politics-clinton-fairytale/bill-clinton-defends-fairy-tale-remark-on-obama-idUSN1131516320080111
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/12/us/politics/12cnd-delegates.html

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

I dunno if you're being ironic but yes you did

The police and prison system is designed to deprive African-Americans of their freedom and force them to work for below legal wages

The guy who cleaned my classroom was an Odinist who raped children, but okay, I was mean to black people because a white guy cleaned my office.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

The guy who cleaned my classroom was an Odinist who raped children, but okay, I was mean to black people because a white guy cleaned my office.

what about slavemaster's rights? :qq:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

what about slavemaster's rights? :qq:

i do declare! in the name of ma good friend Jeff Beauregard Sessions, those rights are indeed important!

it is the single most divisive subject of our day, an' i will make my position crystal clear today!

owning slaves is perfectly fine as long as you use the word 'convict' instead o' 'slave'; don't worry; ma party will do the needful, and the rest :wink:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

This anecdote doesn't really refute Inescapable Duck's point, because these days policies that are intentionally aimed to have disproportional effects on certain demographics are usually the most that racists can manage, like racial gerrymandering and requiring a driver's license or state ID to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

• Locked thread