Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Meh, I got the originals at 20 years ago GW prices, and with the amount of Guard you need nowadays, it would cost an ungodly amount. I got two sets, which was probably around 80 models, including heavy weapons, for what it would cost for 30 Victoria Lamb squads.

Plus, I have a ton of Steel Legion sitting around that I haven't done anything with yet.

they are pretty pricey i agree. its utterly bizarre that the most stereotypically british ig regiment is the one missing from gws online store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

I have my first squad of Salamanders almost done, need to clean up the rims but I feel tired so that is for later.

The freehand is a crap, but I won't get better without practice.

drat yeah, son. That freehand is great, these Salamanders are great. That green is looking crisp! Post more.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Painting resumes after a summer break. Did first pass of oil highlights on three out of six corvettes tonight.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

R0ckfish posted:

I have my first squad of Salamanders almost done, need to clean up the rims but I feel tired so that is for later.

These guys are pretty loving righteous dude. I actually think the fire freehand looks great, but the numerals are kinda funky. Are you against using transfers?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

SRM posted:

These guys are pretty loving righteous dude. I actually think the fire freehand looks great, but the numerals are kinda funky. Are you against using transfers?

Not to a great degree, but I too lazy to spend 30 bucks on transfers plus microsol/set.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Bistromatic posted:

Painting resumes after a summer break. Did first pass of oil highlights on three out of six corvettes tonight.

Ooooh, pretty! :allears:

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

ineptmule posted:

Also got my rifle on my back that I can't ever aim or reload.

Imperial missionary turned Ministorum priest Coronam Acanthoides knows he won't need to aim or reload in the engagement range of that shotgun. Faith in the Emperor alone will guide the shot to it's mark before he crushes his enemies. (Or is more likely torn to bits by some kind of genetically enhanced superman or space monster.)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

R0ckfish posted:

That green is so crisp. Those are some sexy bigmans.

Bistromatic posted:

I've been tempted to get some spaceships to paint up for a while. After seeing these nice looking corvettes, I think you might have convinced me to take a look at Dropfleet. I really like the blue stripe.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

richyp posted:

I've been tempted to get some spaceships to paint up for a while. After seeing these nice looking corvettes, I think you might have convinced me to take a look at Dropfleet. I really like the blue stripe.

The only thing that makes me about Dropfleet is I'd want to play Dropzone too and I really don't like the Dropzone minis.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Those Salamanders are tasty as hell.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

R0ckfish posted:

Not to a great degree, but I too lazy to spend 30 bucks on transfers plus microsol/set.

Get printable transfer paper and never look back.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

R0ckfish posted:

holy poo poo what are you talking about? those shoulder pads are amzing

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Crossposting my Infinity Yu Jing project from the game's thread, I've been slowly working out how I want to paint these for a couple months now, teaching myself how to do non-metallic metal in the process. Very happy with my progress so far.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Corrode posted:

This guy looks loving ridiculous in that "perfect 40k model" way. Like yeah here I am, carrying my book stick, got my enormous power gauntlet ready to fist heretics to death.

Hello friend, I think you'll like this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694065&pagenumber=568#lastpost

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

stabbington posted:

Crossposting my Infinity Yu Jing project from the game's thread, I've been slowly working out how I want to paint these for a couple months now, teaching myself how to do non-metallic metal in the process. Very happy with my progress so far.

...You should be happy with those. Nice work! I like the cooler color scheme in particular, it's really eye-catching. Those details :allears:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

Mind talking a little bit about your process on these? I've repainted a few ships from X-Wing but really struggle with all the flat surfaces... and those look fantastic.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks! I actually made a big step by step tutorial for this scheme: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cT1xAa0Cigac--IN5Kdhxazao0PgUaa_3myIbAntCrA/

If you have questions beyond that i'll be happy to answer those as well.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

stabbington posted:

These are well painted and you should be proud but I can't stop laughing at the very specific cut-out portion of the coat designed to show robot butt.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Bistromatic posted:

Those are gorgeous, I may copy that stripe pattern.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Had to email GW customer service. One of the Crusaders I got in a blister had a hole in the shield from the resin being so thin.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finally got some pictures taken of these jerks:

And this big jerk:

And this big, hard to photograph jerk:

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

SRM posted:

awesome pic

That weathering :swoon:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

Had to email GW customer service. One of the Crusaders I got in a blister had a hole in the shield from the resin being so thin.

Ah man that sucks, hopefully they'll throw you a new pack as compensation.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Poxwalkers for Death Guard

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Painted some lil droids today~

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

SRM posted:

awesome Templars

How'd you do the weathering on the vehicles? I'm painting up some Black Templars and I'm kind of frozen on the vehicles. I want to weather them to break up the big, flat areas but I don't want to mess it up.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Floppychop posted:

How'd you do the weathering on the vehicles? I'm painting up some Black Templars and I'm kind of frozen on the vehicles. I want to weather them to break up the big, flat areas but I don't want to mess it up.

It's really drat easy actually! I first sponge on some Necron Compound with a bit of old KR foam for the chipping. For the rest I just drybrush the gently caress out of the bottom with Steel Legion Drab, then do a second, lighter drybrush of Karak Stone that goes a little higher up the vehicle. Sometimes I do some of the texture paints in the treads and such too.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That mold line. :aaa:

RhomboidSphinx
Jun 17, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

These are finecast, aren't they? I just painted up a couple and mine were no better - mold lines all over and a horrible undetailed design. I hope GW redesigns them soon.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RhomboidSphinx posted:

These are finecast, aren't they? I just painted up a couple and mine were no better - mold lines all over and a horrible undetailed design. I hope GW redesigns them soon.

They are, although interestingly enough they're no longer in the Finecast packaging. Now it's just a print out piece of papers that says "GAMES WORKSHOP/WARHAMMER 40,000/AGE OF SIGMAR.

In the description it's "finely detailed resin cast kit."

Also, managed to get some work done on my Sisters of Silence squad last night. Did the basecoats (mostly) and the washes, then picked out the armor. Gotta go over it again and get neater/closer lines, then highlight it with White Scar, then go over it with a satin finish.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 11, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

To be fair that is an exquisitely detailed mould line

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

To be fair that is an exquisitely detailed mould line

I have never seen such a fine example of a pixelated line from MS Paint.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is The Army Painter bad? This is my first time painting a model and I got two different brands, Citadel and Army Painter. The Citadel paints work just like in the tutorial videos. Dab some paint on the pallet, dip the brush in the water, mix them up, and it's great. smooth good coverage in two or three coats. But I have a ton of trouble trying to get the Army Painter paint to a reasonable consistency. It's like there's a super narrow range where it's not too thick or too thin

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is The Army Painter bad? This is my first time painting a model and I got two different brands, Citadel and Army Painter. The Citadel paints work just like in the tutorial videos. Dab some paint on the pallet, dip the brush in the water, mix them up, and it's great. smooth good coverage in two or three coats. But I have a ton of trouble trying to get the Army Painter paint to a reasonable consistency. It's like there's a super narrow range where it's not too thick or too thin

Their spray primer cans has art done by the guy that does munchkin. I have a deep loathing hatred of Munchkin and literally refuse to buy anything army painter because it seems they make poor marketing decisions.

In all seriousness (but not to the point I will ever disassociate my Munchkin-Pavlov response) I came to the same conclusion as you. Their paint thickness randomness is always a journey to make it thin enough. After the 50th time trying to recreate a color I made in the past (which I am super good at for some reason) and learning I was spending more time thinning the drat paints then actually mixing the I switched to Vallejo which has better (but not perfect) consistency . What I do now is using Vallejo or other brand air paints since those always seem way better at consistency which they sorta required to do considering they are marketed for airbrushes .

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I started with an Army Painter starter set of paints and some were definitely pretty poo poo on coverage. Two are the typical problem children for coverage of yellow and red, but even then they required like Scale 75 levels of shaking to get mixed consistently in the bottle. White, green, and brown mixed okay, but still were a tad thin. Their real standbys for my painting have been the plate mail silver which has an exquisitely fine flake and matte black which covers excellently. Army Painter quickshades are fantastic and the inks are good too (which you can pick up cheap as a handy set).

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

EVIL Gibson posted:

Their spray primer cans has art done by the guy that does munchkin. I have a deep loathing hatred of Munchkin and literally refuse to buy anything army painter because it seems they make poor marketing decisions.

???

Only registered members can see post attachments!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

EVIL Gibson posted:

Their spray primer cans has art done by the guy that does munchkin. I have a deep loathing hatred of Munchkin and literally refuse to buy anything army painter because it seems they make poor marketing

lol that's Armory not Army Painter

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is The Army Painter bad?
Yes.

Stick with Vallejo or Citadel, especially if you want to airbrush at any point. AP is across the board, even within individual colors.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

S.J. posted:

I got some Armory matte sealer because it was cheap. It's pretty ok, totally ruins any metallics you spray it on which I guess I could've figured out for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

Seconding the notion of not buying Armory products. The sheer number of fuzzed-out models I've had to immediately strip after spraying with their white primer.... (Okay, it's five, but five models was enough for me to realize I could shake the can for an hour and get the same lousy result. gently caress Armory.)

In defense of Army Painter, their main selling point is that their primer, paint, and washes are meant to be an exact match. I haven't used their compete line like that, but their washes are pretty great.