Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

BattleHamster posted:

I'm kind of surprised you feel like this. Leoric's health regen post rework definitely seems different but I went and looked at self-healing numbers before and after and I'm still getting on average around 40k per 15-20 min match.

Loss of the Reanimation talent does suck though for helping keep you topped up in between fights, same with consume vitality not working on minions (although this wasn't a very popular talent).

The total dependence his self healing now is required of hitting a target and keeping it on a short leash based on the number of characters that are faster than Leoric while he is draining makes it incredibly tough to reliably keep yourself in the game.

His total purpose right now seems to be to hold a lane down (and lose it if he is against anything with mobility, of which most of the current popular heroes either are mobile or have long range attacks that protect them from bad touch short range, his meandering walk) and die in team fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Macaluso posted:

Greymane owns

Greymane in theory : Wolfman with Gun

Greymane in practice: Throws jars of piss. Takes every piss jar talent. Every time.

This is fine.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Toshimo posted:

Greymane in practice: Throws jars of piss. Takes every piss jar talent. Every time.

This is fine.

I'm sorry you don't like the very effective piss jars

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Power Bottom posted:

Stage Dive ETCs perform well in pro games because being able to pull a tank out of nowhere on an isolated enemy means that you're practically guaranteed to get that kill. Stage Dive also means you can put a tank on top of an ally getting ganked, something that can save them from dying and missing soak.

ETC's problem is that he's only useful for advanced strategies with very experienced and coordinated players. Pretty much every other tank can do what he does in one way or another, and unless you're trying to do something very specific (like the stuff Shabadu pointed out) you're straight up better off taking pretty much any other Warrior.
This seems overdramatic. Stage dive and mosh are very useful abilities, his sustain is good, and he's the only tank besides muradin who has an escape. His win rate is pretty close to all the other tanks... I don't really see him as an outlier in terms of usefulness in uncoordinated play.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I know this is probably not at all viable from a marketing and $$$ standpoint, but I wish they would take a month or two of no new heroes soon and just focus on two very significant balance patches. There are a lot of heroes that have very outdated designs or are victims to significant power creep/have weaknesses that far outweigh their strengths

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No Wave posted:

he's the only tank besides muradin who has an escape.

??

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Midnightghoul posted:

I know this is probably not at all viable from a marketing and $$$ standpoint, but I wish they would take a month or two of no new heroes soon and just focus on two very significant balance patches. There are a lot of heroes that have very outdated designs or are victims to significant power creep/have weaknesses that far outweigh their strengths

They can do that after they release my boy Junkrat

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah ignore that part i guess. Even counting anub who i forgot stuff like iron skin should functionally count.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Are the skins and other new stuff that's been added along with this Kael'thas event such as the Jaina Lich skin, limited to this event only, or can they also be gotten from normal loot boxes after the event is over?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

No Wave posted:

This seems overdramatic. Stage dive and mosh are very useful abilities
I don't know why you feel the need to point that out after I spent a post (that you quoted) describing why and how Stage Dive and Most Pit are good.

quote:

his sustain is good
His sustain is passable, not good. Guitar Solo either costs too much or heals too little and is mostly there to proc his trait.

quote:

and he's the only tank besides muradin who has an escape.
What in the gently caress are you talking about? Anubarak, Cho, Dehaka, D.va, Leoric, and Tyreal all have escapes - and that's not going into Talent fuckery (Sonya, Johanna) or situational movement abilities that can be used as escapes (Chen, Varian, Diablo, Sonya and Johanna again).

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ETC isn't as good as the other tanks because his initiation, stun, AND mobility are all rolled into a single ability. Additionally, his secondary CC is a radial knockback, a cc type that's notoriously difficult to use properly and, unlike a slow or a stun or a root, can potentially save enemies by knocking them away from your team on accident. ETC basically has the same problem that Leoric has - if you gently caress up using [Key Ability], you've wasted a ton of your potential and there's nothing to be done for it except wait for it to be off cooldown again.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Counter point, he hits people with a guitar and that makes him the best. Check mate nerd.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Toshimo posted:

This is fine.

This is entirely because the rest of his kit is so strong that he really doesn't need to talent into anything else.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

beejay posted:

I wonder if Dustin Browder left because of what the game was becoming or if him leaving opened the door for it to turn into this. I mean there were questionable decisions when he was in charge but at least it felt like there was passion behind the game. Also Browder really cared about the ranked modes. Now it just seems like they are content with making QM players and skin addicts happy. Follow the money I guess. I just wish they were a little more serious about growing the game. It could be a great alternative to other mobas if it just had the playerbase in ranked.

Would you invest lots of money/more money in a game with a very small player base that was pretty much dead on arrival despite a few attempts to increase the amount of players? Hell no leave it on life support/maintenance mode and suck it dry with as little effort as possible.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Nothing says "maintenance mode with as little effort as possible" like a huge themed release of a long-requested character completele with animated announcement trailer and an in-depth making-of feature.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Im_Special posted:

Are the skins and other new stuff that's been added along with this Kael'thas event such as the Jaina Lich skin, limited to this event only, or can they also be gotten from normal loot boxes after the event is over?

I really doubt they're limited, they put effort into making a Jaina legendary and they're gonna time gate it and screw themselves out of more sales? The only ones to really expect that stuff from are seasonal events, because those are coming back anyway and you pretty much always know when.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Aaod posted:

Would you invest lots of money/more money in a game with a very small player base that was pretty much dead on arrival despite a few attempts to increase the amount of players? Hell no leave it on life support/maintenance mode and suck it dry with as little effort as possible.

I'm not sure the playerbase is especially small, unless we're comparing it to PubG or whatever. In any event they're certainly not in "maintenance mode"--there's a new hero every 3/4 weeks, quite a few skins, balance changes and feature additions. Blizzard has a pretty large team on HoTs afaik.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's always weird when people try to do a "But it's (Maybe) the smallest blizzard game!" thing.

As if even the lowest population blizzard game probably doesn't easily dwarf a lot of other games.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
How do I play Garrosh without getting endlessly kited and killed, his trait notwithstanding. He has no escape and no damage. Apart from git gud, I mean.

e: turns out the key is not to chase like a dumbass

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 9, 2017

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

New thread title...

Maybe it was once a thread title?

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I just unlocked Valeera from a chest. Bought the Ivory Demon Hunter skin with shards for the heck of it. Really fun so far.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

turns out the key is not to chase like a dumbass

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Can you ice block the hunt to cancel Illidan's travel? I've always assumed he'd just end up landing at my feet as ice block ended, since projectiles with a lock on and travel time don't stop moving.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

This should be on every loading screen

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

banned from Starbucks posted:

This should be on every loading screen
but Asmo is slow, if I just keep chasing him I'll seal the kill!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Aaod posted:

I cannot possibly put into words how wrong you are. HOTS's playerbase is huge, thriving, growing, and the same could be said for its professional scene. Every bit of effort that Blizzard puts into HOTS farts out income like you wouldn't believe. Now, granted - HOTS is not nearly as enormous and all-encompassing as League or DotA, but that doesn't mean it's small - it's just contending with two games that had several years' worth of a head start in building a playerbase and delivering content.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Power Bottom posted:

I cannot possibly put into words how wrong you are. HOTS's playerbase is huge, thriving, growing, and the same could be said for its professional scene. Every bit of effort that Blizzard puts into HOTS farts out income like you wouldn't believe. Now, granted - HOTS is not nearly as enormous and all-encompassing as League or DotA, but that doesn't mean it's small - it's just contending with two games that had several years' worth of a head start in building a playerbase and delivering content.

It doesn't feel like it. I got a friend who when we queue looks up every player on hotlogs, and there is a massive variance in mmr between players in most games. Also if you play steady at all you get used to seeing the same players again and again. We play on US West Coast if that matters.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It does. HOTS gets very little cross-server communication to prevent latency from getting too high. You can change what server you play on in the settings, under Language and Region.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Some how I get into QM games faster in HOTS than I do in Overwatch half the time. I really think doing the Overwatch events/HOTS 2.0 changes has really increased the user base. Whenever a new character comes out every single game you see a player who most likely paid real money to have it on release day with the new skins. I see hots just like those mobile games, and I am sure since its Blizzard there are enough whales out there buying up everything to keep it well supported.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

It doesn't feel like it. I got a friend who when we queue looks up every player on hotlogs, and there is a massive variance in mmr between players in most games. Also if you play steady at all you get used to seeing the same players again and again. We play on US West Coast if that matters.
I put more faith in hotslog stats than most people, but do not pay any attention to individual player mmr until you click on their profile and see how many games are tracked. Most of the mmrs are estimated off of a dozen games at most.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 10, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

God why is the loading screen art so lovely. Don't ever have a loading screen that's not done by that RaspbearyArt guy ever Blizz

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
KTZ is insanely fun, wow. :allears:

Also Dreadlord Jaina owns, I just wish she wasn't 2,400.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

looking forward to karl, chains look dope

Karl is Kael, it's a reference to an old dota joke. :eng101:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Cuntellectual posted:

About a week and a half from now she'll be 1,600!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Midnightghoul posted:

2017 will be the year of the support*

*We nerfed most of the supports now**

**Rehgar is next because he's now by far the best support since he wasn't nerfed recently and still has cleanse

I WILL SHOW YOU A MONSTER!

MMAgCh posted:

About a week and a half from now she'll be 1,600!

Hm. I've got 600 shards and I was going to get Star Lich KT but I might just save for that, then.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Stukov really owns a lot, Pox Populi and shoving a Butcher who jumpes on my Nazeebo into the horizon forever.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

Karl is Kael, it's a reference to an old dota joke. :eng101:

what a fool i've been

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
He kinda looks more like a Karl anywho.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Cuntellectual posted:

I picked up one of the Theramore Jaina skins because it was only 140 shards and got in a game with a Thrall.
"Jaina, it's been a long time."
"Not long enough."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Cabbit posted:

Stukov really owns a lot, Pox Populi and shoving a Butcher who jumpes on my Nazeebo into the horizon forever.

Wait is that really the name of an ability? 👌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Macaluso posted:

Wait is that really the name of an ability? 👌

A talent, but yes.