Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just lol if you didn't binge the entire series in preparation for season 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not going into the thread yet but I'm 8 eps down and if 4 sticks the landing it could be the best season yet. I'm glad they made an effort to shake things up after 3, while still good, was essentially a remake of 2 in many ways.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress Scientology episode 4 is awesome.

I have a legitimate crush on Leah Remini now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rocksicles posted:

gently caress Scientology episode 4 is awesome.

I have a legitimate crush on Leah Remini now.
I hope enough people watch this show and Scientology finally crumbles as a result. It's been able to continue for far too long.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Should be required viewing for everyone.

Anyone watching Tin Star?

I can't find a stream or a torrent, i figured people would be all over it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I hope enough people watch this show and Scientology finally crumbles as a result. It's been able to continue for far too long.

It's been exposed a million times over the last 20 years, nothing is going to change.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's been exposed a million times over the last 20 years, nothing is going to change.
gently caress, I really wanna be optimistic, but yeah :smithicide:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know someone who has forked out maybe triple figures so far, unsure how it's going for them now.

Makes me angry.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rocksicles posted:

I know someone who has forked out maybe triple figures so far, unsure how it's going for them now.

Makes me angry.
Have I told the story in here about when I worked for Scientologists and they couldn't afford to buy simple office supplies like pens and copy paper for us because they were spending all their money on Scientology-led business management services?

Because yeah...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
David Miscavige is actually a humanoid robot from Dimension Z.

He can only be destroyed with super powerful electromagnets.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Their numbers are falling. By and large the only people still going are legacy members but that's not what they need. I think too many people now know what Scientology is to really fall for it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some people are dummies and believe in stupid poo poo.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
People didn't leave that ultra Mormon sex cult where the church leaders "married" all the underage girls. Anything that comes out here is nothing compared to that. People can convince themselves about just about anything.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is it weird that when I watch a high school comedy or drama that I wish I had a potion that would make me forget 2001-2005?

Oh, and Freaks and Geeks is a pretty a-okay show.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

People didn't leave that ultra Mormon sex cult where the church leaders "married" all the underage girls. Anything that comes out here is nothing compared to that. People can convince themselves about just about anything.

They'll still get new sign ups. One of the things they do is hang around auditions and things like that and try and get budding actors/actresses to join up because they tell them hey, we're the religion of Hollywood, we got your back. It worked for Tom Cruise, which is why never left them.

The sex stuff isn't that surprising given that just about any religion or cult where those power dynamics are at play usually devolves into that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Has anyone watched Back, the new Mitchell and Webb show? I watched the first episode and thought it was pretty hilarious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon announced a new TV series being directed by Wong Kar Wai called Tong Wars. It's going to bomb.

quote:

The series is set against the Tong Wars of 19th century San Francisco and tells a story spanning a significant period of time about Chinese immigrants and the clashes between organized-crime families in the city’s Chinatown.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon announced a new TV series being directed by Wong Kar Wai called Tong Wars. It's going to bomb.

It's Wong Kar Wai, who gives a poo poo?

Chungking Express is GOAT-tier for me so I was sold as soon as I heard his name.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm guessing Bezos will force them to make the actors speak lame accented Engrish instead of Chinese. I doubt they have the balls to go authentic with the language like Narcos or The Americans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comrade Detective is pretty ballsy.

Dear lord
https://mobile.twitter.com/garaujo1/status/906519228530020353

What do kids watch on Saturday mornings these days.

E: whoa that terrible teen sitcom block ran for ten years

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 9, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Well the top one is Saved by the Bell obviously, since it has Mr. Belding and Screech.

vvv Oh right, I missed that. :downs:

less laughter fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 9, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also,it says all the names at the bottom.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's missing California Dreams.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm guessing Bezos will force them to make the actors speak lame accented Engrish instead of Chinese. I doubt they have the balls to go authentic with the language like Narcos or The Americans.

Possible, but I wouldn't be so confident. Right now, China doesn't have Prime Video because of the country's stringent censorship rules, but that doesn't make it wise to ignore Chinese appeal and influence. On top of that, streaming services like Amazon and Netflix are trying to position themselves as anti-Hollywood disruptors, with Amazon in particular making plays for art-house talent like Kenneth Lonergan and Park Chan-Wook (in fact, Park's The Handmaiden, which is loving fantastic, was done entirely in Korean and Japanese). I can't imagine them wanting to piss off a legend like WKW.

Of course, they could always just be really dumb. Or WKW might be more amenable to compromise than I'd expect—especially when he's not working for a guy like Harvey Weinstein, who will excise pieces of The Grandmaster's Western release for being too Asian.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zoux posted:

Netflix and Amazon.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

On top of that, streaming services like Amazon and Netflix are trying to position themselves as anti-Hollywood disruptors, with Amazon in particular making plays for art-house talent like Kenneth Lonergan and Park Chan-Wook (in fact, Park's The Handmaiden, which is loving fantastic, was done entirely in Korean and Japanese).

Can't second this enough. I wish I could watch The Handmaiden again for the first time. Highly recommended to all!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did Amazon develop The Handmaiden? I thought it was already finished before Amazon just bought distribution rights. Also I'm skeptical of Amazon's plays for arthouse directors because Woody Allen's show sucked so bad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zoux posted:

YouTube and Snapchat stories. They don’t even feel the need to turn on their TVs on Saturday mornings anymore. There’s no draw for them there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Amazon's taking a pretty big pivot--and eating a fair amount in already-spent money--in its content strategy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

This better not affect Patriot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

They're also entering the bidding (along with Apple) for the James Bond distribution rights; in their view the franchise is "underexploited".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

They're also entering the bidding (along with Apple) for the James Bond distribution rights; in their view the franchise is "underexploited".

I saw that. Basically, they want to buy the franchise outright from EON and MGM so they can merchandise it, develop TV shows, etc.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

That sucks, because I really like the amazon originals we've gotten so far, and none of them are mainstream broad appeal crap like GoT.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

This better not affect Patriot.

My first thought. I think they already started on season 2 so hopefully it's safe.

How much do you guys think there is "payola" in the TV critic business? It really hadn't occurred to me before, but then I noticed a metric ton of thinkpieces about how brilliant Room 104 is - and having watched it, it's occasionally great, pretty entertaining, but nowhere near what these reviewers/pundits are saying it is. And that makes me think back to Patriot "only" getting a lot of 70-80 scores, with hardly anyone championing it as being as good as it is.

I don't think it's too cynical to wonder if there's a tacit payola thing going on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

I saw that. Basically, they want to buy the franchise outright from EON and MGM so they can merchandise it, develop TV shows, etc.

Looking forward to the Moneypenny spin-off.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby posted:

Hooooooly poo poo I would be 110% down with pretty much anyone that isn't EON/MGM being in charge of Bond. I hope they take Amazon up on the offer.

I wonder if they'll want more or less than Lucas did for Star Wars?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

YouTube and Snapchat stories. They don’t even feel the need to turn on their TVs on Saturday mornings anymore. There’s no draw for them there.

TVs are going to go the way of giant stereo systems. So many people are content to just watch poo poo on their phones now and I just do not get it but I guess I'm old now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

Wong Kar Wai

I am 100000000% in.

e: also The Handmaiden was phenomenal and I never knew I needed a Korean adaptation of The Fingersmith until Park Chan-wook made it.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 9, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Amazon, they've also canceled The Last Tycoon. A show I never watched. Matt Bomer is going to be okay as he already has a new movie coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

IRQ posted:

TVs are going to go the way of giant stereo systems. So many people are content to just watch poo poo on their phones now and I just do not get it but I guess I'm old now.
I was just thinking last night while playing Destiny 2 that I wish I still had one of those giant stereo systems to listen to music on while I did some grinding in the game. I could use my PC to listen to music (and I do a lot of the time), but it's hooked up to the same receiver that my PS4 is, so if I'm using one, I can't use the other at the same time.

Although I don't know how popular of a problem that is to have.

Also, related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

• Locked thread