Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Thug Lessons posted:

I'm very smart, much smarter than you, and I used my big brain to figure out that the people proposing that the world must lose 8 billion people are talking about a sweeping genocide of black and brown people

No I'm pretty sure you injected the racial component. Quote someone who is calling for brown genocide tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

call to action posted:

No I'm pretty sure you injected the racial component. Quote someone who is calling for brown genocide tia

"we need 80% less people and somehow this will happen evenly and fairly across the planet instead of resulting in the mass murder of poor and mostly brown people from developing countries" :thunk:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Has this been discussed yet? NOAA's latest study on global warming and hurricanes.

This sentence from the summary is troublesome:

quote:

It is premature to conclude that human activities–and particularly greenhouse gas emissions that cause global warming–have already had a detectable impact on Atlantic hurricane or global tropical cyclone activity.

I feel like deniers are gonna read that and run with it.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so you consider abortion murder?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

blowfish posted:

"we need 80% less people and somehow this will happen evenly and fairly across the planet instead of resulting in the mass murder of poor and mostly brown people from developing countries" :thunk:

The anti-green revolution crowd itt is especially bad about this. Ugh.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Thug Lessons posted:

There is no "peak phosphate". Like every other peak mineral scare, (with the possible exception of oil), it's a myth born out of ignorance of geologic science and a massive underestimation of human ingenuity.
Is water scarcity not a real ting?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cargo cult posted:

Is water scarcity not a real ting?

Water scarcity is rather different in the sense that the resource won't literally run out in the same way as oil can

It just is subject to distribution and demand issues

There's no such thing as peak water

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I work in sustainable Energy Management, and I give up on this thread. Sorry guys, have fun.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Water scarcity is rather different in the sense that the resource won't literally run out in the same way as oil can

It just is subject to distribution and demand issues

There's no such thing as peak water

Actually, it behaves very similarly.

Oil won't literally run out, it's just subject to cost-benefit value based on extraction/refining cost vs demand.

Water doesn't literally run out, either, but it gets costlier to meet regional demands as consumption increases (more population) or "easy" local sources are otherwise unable to meet it, and thus you have to do more drilling, or water treatment, or worst case have to import it from farther away or build more expansive waterworks projects like dams/reservoirs.

Really, the only difference is that there are energetic alternatives to oil, or otherwise points at which it just becomes undesirable to continue investing in it, but there are no alternatives to water. "Peak water" is when humans start dying off.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I work in sustainable Energy Management, and I give up on this thread. Sorry guys, have fun.

reported

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

coyo7e posted:

Well, it's not like anything matters anymore:

703 posted:

the internet was the tower of babel and now everything comes crashing down

https://twitter.com/Lhatseri/status/906175294649753600

lol tankgirl is our future

https://twitter.com/JustinList/status/906393728545325056

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Evil_Greven posted:

Holy gently caress. :allbuttons:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Rime posted:

Holy gently caress. :allbuttons:

more like :unsmigghh: and

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Evil_Greven posted:

:stare:

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, how unique and how bad is that? A quick Google search doesn't turn up much (that may be my own fault).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Martian posted:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, how unique and how bad is that? A quick Google search doesn't turn up much (that may be my own fault).

Various major rivers throughout South Asia rely on rivers fed by Himalayan glaciers, which in turn the regions rely on for electricity, agriculture, and drinkable water/sanitation. These rivers drying up is nothing short of a catastrophic prospect.

By way of example, take the Indus Water Treaty between India and Pakistan. The rivers go through India first - which makes big use of them - and if levels start dropping then... well...

In this situation, what do you think happens? Both countries are going to go into the negotiation table, and re-negotiate the Indus Water Treaty to be more equitable for Pakistan, whose agriculture relies absolutely on the rivers?

Or will the extremely nationalistic India keep the water it needs, as per the way the treaty currently stands, and gently caress over the neighbor they've held extreme mutual hostility against for decades?

Both of these countries possess nuclear weapons.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I want to get a scoop of that melted permafrost and eat it. It looks like a delicious chocolate treat.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I used to be friends with this incredibly smart woman that was passionate about a sustainable and green future. She was a finance major and fought her "battle" against climate change that way. I believe she ended up as a VP for the the renewable division of a large energy corp in California. She's also incredibly active in enganging students into clean energy

She posted this recently:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017...campaign=buffer

It claims the following points need to be addressed in order to avoid 'catastrophe':

quote:

Increase renewable energy to 30% of electricity use.

Draft plans for cities and states to ditch fossil fuel energy by 2050, with funding of $300 billion annually.

Ensure 15% of all new vehicles sold are electric.

Cut net emissions from deforestation.

Publish plan for halving emissions from deforestation well before 2050.

Encourage the financial sector to issue more "green bonds" toward climate-mitigation efforts.

I gotta say, it's way more disheartening to see garbage like this than the video of the melting permafrost. Because this is what is considered a good faith mainstream solution to tackling climate change. And it loving sucks. And it's not going to do poo poo. And this attitude of market based solutions is what has, is, and will destroy the planet. How are we supposed to have a serious discussion about fighting ecological destruction without even addressing our sick dependency on rampant consumerism.

We are so hosed

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Minge Binge posted:

I used to be friends with this incredibly smart woman that was passionate about a sustainable and green future. She was a finance major and fought her "battle" against climate change that way. I believe she ended up as a VP for the the renewable division of a large energy corp in California. She's also incredibly active in enganging students into clean energy

It claims the following points need to be addressed in order to avoid 'catastrophe':

I gotta say, it's way more disheartening to see garbage like this than the video of the melting permafrost. Because this is what is considered a good faith mainstream solution to tackling climate change. And it loving sucks. And it's not going to do poo poo. And this attitude of market based solutions is what has, is, and will destroy the planet. How are we supposed to have a serious discussion about fighting ecological destruction without even addressing our sick dependency on rampant consumerism.

We are so hosed

Well. It says these things have to be achieved by 2020 (lol they won't). Which would be a reasonable place to be a few years into an actual long-term plan to decarbonise almost everything, but lol we won't have that either.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

That's a manual on doing LCAs not an LCA comparing vegan processed foods and meat-based process foods.

Yes, yes it is. I'd be interested in a source for the earlier claim too, if anyone has one.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Has this been discussed yet? NOAA's latest study on global warming and hurricanes.

This sentence from the summary is troublesome:

I feel like deniers are gonna read that and run with it.

Haha, deniers have already started quoting this in comments sections:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Minge Binge posted:

We are so hosed

have you considered that your friend who works in sustainable investment might know more about this stuff than forums poster Minge Binge? Did it ever cross your mind?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
dont all politicians know more than us also? lets listen to them.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Those are ambitious goals but hardly impossible. Like for example renewables generation as of June was 19.5%, (though this is likely to fall somewhat as the year goes on), compared to 16.5% in 2016. If the ratio holds that's by far the largest renewables growth in the past two decades. I think EV adoption might be harder though because the market is unproven.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

have you considered that your friend who works in sustainable investment might know more about this stuff than forums poster Minge Binge? Did it ever cross your mind?

Yeah everything quoted there is sensible and it works inside the framework of our systems. I think it's a goon thing to completely discount the built up complexity and momentum of about a thousand years of learned civilization experience.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Yeah everything quoted there is sensible and it works inside the framework of our systems. I think it's a goon thing to completely discount the built up complexity and momentum of about a thousand years of learned civilization experience.
"Sensible" and "works inside the framework of our systems" are both just code works for reinforcing the structures that created the problem in the first place, whichever context you use it in.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Okay, I guess we shouldn't do sensible things that work. Brilliant. I can't imagine why these perspectives are ignored

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Okay, I guess we shouldn't do sensible things that work. Brilliant. I can't imagine why these perspectives are ignored

If you look at it from the perspective of everyone not in the richest percent, full communism is completely sensible :getin:

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Conspiratiorist posted:

Various major rivers throughout South Asia rely on rivers fed by Himalayan glaciers, which in turn the regions rely on for electricity, agriculture, and drinkable water/sanitation. These rivers drying up is nothing short of a catastrophic prospect.

By way of example, take the Indus Water Treaty between India and Pakistan. The rivers go through India first - which makes big use of them - and if levels start dropping then... well...

In this situation, what do you think happens? Both countries are going to go into the negotiation table, and re-negotiate the Indus Water Treaty to be more equitable for Pakistan, whose agriculture relies absolutely on the rivers?

Or will the extremely nationalistic India keep the water it needs, as per the way the treaty currently stands, and gently caress over the neighbor they've held extreme mutual hostility against for decades?

Both of these countries possess nuclear weapons.

So does the permafrost river mean that there's not enough frozen glacier to feed those rivers? Sorry I don't understand.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"Sensible" and "works inside the framework of our systems" are both just code works for reinforcing the structures that created the problem in the first place, whichever context you use it in.

Accelerationism is, uh, maybe not the best approach when it comes to drivers of climate change.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No, REVOLUTION NOW!*

*someone else please do the revolution

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Thug Lessons posted:

The issue isn't with "sensible things that work" in an objective sense, it's that the word "sensible" is used to portray subjective preferences as objectively correct so as to lend it a level of legitimacy that for example "Me and my rich friends prefer not to pay taxes" can't.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Accelerationism is, uh, maybe not the best approach when it comes to drivers of climate change.
How is what I posted an argument in favor of accelerationism?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Banana Man posted:

So does the permafrost river mean that there's not enough frozen glacier to feed those rivers? Sorry I don't understand.

Yes. The region is getting warmer, as shown by the permafrost (which as the name should tell you, is always frozen) melting and flowing. The glaciers aren't recovering between melt seasons, and overall water levels will begin dropping dramatically.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes. The region is getting warmer, as shown by the permafrost (which as the name should tell you, is always frozen) melting and flowing. The glaciers aren't recovering between melt seasons, and overall water levels will begin dropping dramatically.

Ah ok thanks

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

"Dramatically" sounds like an overstatement. None of those rivers get more than 10% of their water from Himalayan glacial melt.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey friends Volvo announced in July they are going all - electric by 2019.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So optimists, give us your take now

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Conspiratiorist posted:

I am bad at water macro-issues. Why would the rivers not refresh at (roughly) the same levels? The glaciers normally recharge from precipitation, right? Why wouldn't that precipitation still fall, just, you know, now directly flowing into the rivers? (And not having a supply buffer but that's not a thing that really matters in the long term as far as flow over twenty years or whatever)

Other than warmer air being able to hold more water before precipitatin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

call to action posted:

So optimists, give us your take now

Things are gonna get bad and then worse but civilzation will probably pull through.