Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SC Bracer posted:

I have a boot9strap 3ds but I wanted to grab something off the eshop, which I can't really do without the system update. Is it safe for me to update to 11.5 now that I have my ds on the latest luma etc.?

Yeah. If luma's up to date and you're on boot9strap you can update to 11.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Awesome, thanks!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I hacked my friend's old 3ds, it's running bootstrap 9, newest firmware. For some reason he formatted the SD card. I can still boot into Godmode/Luma boot menus, and I can redirect the DSPlay app to homebrew channel, but trying to run FBI to reinstall crap crashes the system.

Anybody know what needs to exist on the card for it to start working like it did before it was formatted?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

boot9strap got updated to 1.3 in the past 24 hours, to make things easier for NTRboot stuff (and to clean up file handling a bit).

Still uses SafeB9SInstaller in exactly the same way.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

dont be mean to me posted:

boot9strap got updated to 1.3 in the past 24 hours, to make things easier for NTRboot stuff (and to clean up file handling a bit).

Assuming Luma hasn't done anything to require b9s 1.3, is there any real reason to update?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Not that I've seen in the commit history, no.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Super Famicom VC games started working suddenly. They used to crash the console. :)

Now I can finally play Panel de Pon since Nintendo hosed up not calling it Yoshi's Cube Crusher in the US.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The site linked on the 3ds guide website to buy a flashcart leaked my credit card data. At least the Paypal went through.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 25, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dehry posted:

The site linked on the 3ds guide website to buy a flashcart leaked my credit card data. At least the Paypal went through.

You should file an issue on Github so the author is aware.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/issues

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

You should file an issue on Github so the author is aware.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/issues

A quick google search seems to show this is a known issue and quickly closed out by administrators.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Dehry posted:

A quick google search seems to show this is a known issue and quickly closed out by administrators.

Plailect isn't affiliated with GBATemp at all, so will probably be more willing to listen especially if you can provide proof. He might put up a warning on pages that link to that page at least, he usually takes issues like this seriously.

Though I don't even get any option to use a credit card on the site? I only have options for manual Paypal and Western Union payments.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The button has gone missing but for a while the other day I had an option to use a credit card and it redirected to

code:
<website>.com/wpay/wpayment.asp?OrderID=(order number)

Here's the button. Hosted at /images/bntan3.jpg

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, okay, definitely something I think you should mention in a Github issue there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has there been any progress on getting Switch joycons to work with other devices? They would be good tablet controllers for emulators and such I feel

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Has there been any progress on getting Switch joycons to work with other devices? They would be good tablet controllers for emulators and such I feel

I'd love to know this as well, I'd really like to use two Joycons as one unit on PC but by default they're separate.

Edit, so it looks like there's an adapter you can buy off Amazon and it will work and while it'll connect multiple controllers they all act as a single player, so you need more than one adapter.

sigher fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 12, 2017

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

They're just Bluetooth controllers. I don't remember the details, but I spent a few hours with Google one morning and I got a joycon 90% working with my PC. I recall it supporting a dual joycon configuration as well. I think the only holdup at the time was the joystick reporting as a DPad to some applications or something like that.

Spend a little time on Google. If you're not happy with what you find report back and I'll try to remember what it is I used.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A quick update: the flashcard site just sent me a receipt for the strange charge I had last week. I contacted their support and they are refunding the money.

Big Papadum
Sep 15, 2017
Got Doom/2 and Quake pc ports running on my wii u so im happy

looking forward to the psx retroarch bounty being completed this week so we'll see psx and n64 emulators soon

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hammer Bro. posted:

They're just Bluetooth controllers. I don't remember the details, but I spent a few hours with Google one morning and I got a joycon 90% working with my PC. I recall it supporting a dual joycon configuration as well. I think the only holdup at the time was the joystick reporting as a DPad to some applications or something like that.

Spend a little time on Google. If you're not happy with what you find report back and I'll try to remember what it is I used.

They don't support dual joycon mode for sure, they always register as separate controllers. You can get vJoy and Mickey mouse the inputs on both controllers together to act like one but it's kinda inelegant.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I have a New 3DS on 10.3.0-28U... What's the accepted best way of getting the firmware flashed so I can freely update but still use homebrew stuff in the future?

Haven't touched the thing in a year, but now there's Metroid, so...

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Fuzz posted:

So I have a New 3DS on 10.3.0-28U... What's the accepted best way of getting the firmware flashed so I can freely update but still use homebrew stuff in the future?

Haven't touched the thing in a year, but now there's Metroid, so...

https://3ds.guide/ and just use the homebrew launcher (soundhax) option. Follow the instructions and by the end of it you'll be setup with boot9strap and luma 3ds cfw which will let you freely update but also use homebrew stuff.

edit: There is a chance of getting console banned (no access to online modes, still can use the eshop to buy stuff) but there was only one banwave and it's been months since then so :shrug: Homebrew and other stuff generally are worth it unless you really like playing 3ds monster hunter or pokemon online. If you do ever get banned there are ways to unban your console if you really want to but they all involve changing the console network id or something which means needing another console/some console's ID someone put online.

Not really trying to scare you away though since again there's only been one banwave that people don't know why it happened. (There was an earlier one when people pirated pokemon sun/moon weeks before it came out since it leaked and nintendo just banned everyone playing it who went online in game because...that's an easy thing to tell when you play a game weeks before it is out so don't do that)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 16, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I don't really have anyone to play online with, anyway.

Did they finally get solid SNES emulation working on 3DS? What other cool homebrew poo poo is there? OP is super out of date and doesn't list much.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So checking that site you listed, and there's no option to go from 10.x to current, only 9 or 11. I have Ironfall installed and had done that hack to get the Homebrew Launcher installed while on 9.x, and can still get into the Homebrew Launcher via that.

What I want to do is bootstrap it so that I can update and not ruin my current access... there doesn't seem to be a straightforward guide to that...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Fuzz posted:

So checking that site you listed, and there's no option to go from 10.x to current, only 9 or 11.
It's a range, so you can use Soundhax on 10.3.0. It's probably best to do that so you can just follow the guide to the letter and avoid any confusion.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Fuzz posted:

I don't really have anyone to play online with, anyway.

Did they finally get solid SNES emulation working on 3DS? What other cool homebrew poo poo is there? OP is super out of date and doesn't list much.

SNES Emulation is mostly working depending on how you want to do it. The official VC emulator works for a lot of games but not all special chip configurations (mario rpg, couple other type of games) and is only available on New 3DS systems

There's also Snes9x for Old 3DS emulator which runs even better on the New 3DS and can run stuff like Mario RPG but maybe not at full speed all the time (just most of the time I haven't checked)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's a range, so you can use Soundhax on 10.3.0. It's probably best to do that so you can just follow the guide to the letter and avoid any confusion.

Followed that, up to the part of updating the Firmware, which is downloading now. Everything worked first try so far without a hitch, so here's hoping! :pray:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Is an OOT3D cart with a hacked save still useful for installing stuff? I don't need it anymore and I want to know if I should sell it advertised for that or just wipe it and send it in to amazon or whatever.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Is an OOT3D cart with a hacked save still useful for installing stuff? I don't need it anymore and I want to know if I should sell it advertised for that or just wipe it and send it in to amazon or whatever.

Only good for the version of the payload it was installed for. i.e. if you installed a payload intended for 11.1 it may not work with 11.3.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Then I should bundle it with the powersaves thing :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fully hacked, backup is saved. :hellyeah:

Big Papadum
Sep 15, 2017
nintendont for the wii u is out, so gamecube games on the gamepad is real, what are some gems to get?

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Do I absolutely need a Wii controller to be able to get into vwii and play GameCube games with Nintendont?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Do I absolutely need a Wii controller to be able to get into vwii and play GameCube games with Nintendont?

Not anymore, Wii games are now injectable to vWii titles, so you could get No More Heroes 2 running by injecting it into Xenoblade, for example. Someone injected the Nintendon't executable into a Wii game and it apparently works!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I am on 11.4.0 with some B9S version from when I updated last time.
If I wanted to update to 11.5.0, can I just update B9S and then do the 11.5.0 update?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Olivil posted:

I am on 11.4.0 with some B9S version from when I updated last time.
If I wanted to update to 11.5.0, can I just update B9S and then do the 11.5.0 update?

Update Luma. If it won't boot saying something about B9S version errors or some poo poo then you need to be on B9S 1.2 or higher then Luma will work again.

Once Luma is updated to the latest version and running you can update your 3ds to 11.5

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Done and everything works. Thanks!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

dont be mean to me posted:

So uh how do I update?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

So uh how do I update?

https://3ds.guide/updating-b9s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do we have the ability to run Wii software right from the Wii U menu yet without booting into vwii? Vwii is cool in concept but annoying in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do we have the ability to run Wii software right from the Wii U menu yet without booting into vwii? Vwii is cool in concept but annoying in practice.

Yes and no. Yes in that we now have the ability to inject other stuff into Wii U Wii Eshop games (like xenoblade). But that still teeechnically goes through vWii so if your vWii is broken they probably won't work.

• Locked thread