Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Has anyone ever participated in a charity stream marathon? Denmos doing something for hurricane relief and considering it because otherwise i'd be glued to the news all day but I'm not sure how physically taxing it could be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I have, multiple people playing different games across multiple blocks kinda thing. I was one of a few who pulled the full 24 hours in my group for it.

It kinda sucks staying awake if you're not the one playing and are just there for commentary, and I'm not entirely sure how well I'd be able to stay up playing just an MMO either. I've almost passed out on proper sleep just waiting for queues to pop top be honest.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

DRK

* Play this tank to embrace your inner edgelord. Put Linkin Park on repeat and get ready to wear those CDs out.
* Brings less utility than PLD, but more than WAR.
* Could use a second pass to rejigger what level you get your skills to make them make more sense.

I'm leveling DRK, and I'll say that even if you're not particularly interested in playing the class, it's worth taking it to 50 because the 30-50 class quests are awesome. 50-60 isn't bad either, if for no other reason than the level 58 quest. :unsmigghh: It does feel a bit stripped down before you get Dark Arts, which might be a good thing if you're learning the basics of how to tank depending on how you look at things.

Anyways, Zenos dead, so what. Thanks to the goons that helped me beat his huge-looking rear end last night! Seriously, that cape isn't working for him.

where did he go flying off to

me and the other dragonwaifu had to run in front so we could see past all the Elezens

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
Been playing through, really liking it. Upgraded CNJ to WHM recently. Is there ever any reason to go back to CNJ?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
After weeks of frustration, I have finally cleared O4S via party finder.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Alloran posted:

Been playing through, really liking it. Upgraded CNJ to WHM recently. Is there ever any reason to go back to CNJ?

There's a quest to get a unicorn that requires you to be CNJ rather than WHM, that's pretty much it.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Alloran posted:

Comedy value.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Alloran posted:

Jobs are straight upgrades to classes. Always equip your job stone. You do more damage and get more skills.

*insert screenshots of marauder in dzemael and archer in stone vigil asking what a job stone is*

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
Cool, already got the Unicorn. And thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Brainamp posted:

*insert screenshots of marauder in dzemael and archer in stone vigil asking what a job stone is*

Don't forget the Classist folks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Technically without a job stone you can equip more role abilities but uh... that isn't a particularly notable advantage.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Alloran posted:

Not since they changed cross class abilities and you can't use provoke anymore

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Velthice posted:

my group finally got to neo tonight, so I did what any sensible xiv player would do

we then died immediately forever

:lol: Props on making it like your character is a Final Fantasy tourist just looking for selfies with final bosses.

Dick Trauma posted:

No turning back now...

You've made the right choice.

By the way, did you have any inspiration for your character's design? I ask that because (minor spoilers) there's a certain NPC in the game that looks kinda like you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Haurchefant, nooooo. :negative:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A smile better suits a hero. :unsmith:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

SwissArmyDruid posted:

WAR:

* If you liked to Fell Cleave before... GET READY TO FELL CLEAVE MORE.
* No way of generating job-specific resource when AoEing. This can lead to situations where you need to do area threat, but also need to use your single-target combos in order to generate Beast Gauge.
* Shake It Off is a dog of a skill.
* Onslaught really should *generate* Beast Gauge, rather than consume it. You can't ever use it to pull unless you had some trash to build gauge off of.
* Infuriate can't be used to generate Gauge unless you're "in combat". SE doesn't want you to sit there for two minutes building up a full bar before pulling.
* Allegedly has a huge sack of HP to mitigate things, but the healing isn't keeping up with the ballooning HP.
* Could use a second pass to rejigger what level you get your skills to make them make more sense.

PLD:

* Play this tank if you would rather die by a thousand cuts.
* Brings a lot of utility. Damage reduction for the other tank and the entire party. Shields for the entire party. Self-healing. Blocks magic now.
* Does not lag behind in damage compared to the others.
* King Big Dick Tank now.

DRK

* Play this tank to embrace your inner edgelord. Put Linkin Park on repeat and get ready to wear those CDs out.
* Brings less utility than PLD, but more than WAR.

This is a bit WAR favored, you neglected to mention that PLD's AoE threat is largely mutually exclusive with its AoE damage, and unlike the other two, it has no way of regenerating resources spent to AoE. It's by far the worst dungeon tank even if it's the best real-content tank.

DRK is also conceptually different in how it does its mitigation than the other two; it has fewer actual cooldown abilities to reduce damage, but its shortest one is significantly shorter than any other and costs MP, so it's about keeping MP in mind rather than paying as much attention to timers. Is technically the "worst" real-content tank because its invincibility mode is on a longer timer than WAR but is less useful than PLD, so it can't cheese mechanics to the same degree that a PLD+WAR pair can... but that's ultimately very, very marginal and numbers-wise they're all on par.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

DizzyBum posted:

You've made the right choice.

By the way, did you have any inspiration for your character's design? I ask that because (minor spoilers) there's a certain NPC in the game that looks kinda like you.

In MMOs I usually make old/worn/fat people. I figure most everyone else will be making young and pretty characters so I like to balance that out.

EX: Here's a couple of my EvE characters...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You're gonna be in for a treat in about 30 hours. :v:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

In MMOs I usually make old/worn/fat people. I figure most everyone else will be making young and pretty characters so I like to balance that out.

EX: Here's a couple of my EvE characters...

Yep, good choice. If you have to make a boring hyur then making him old and bearded is appreciated.

Phone posted:

Yeah be sure to let us know when you get there. Don't worry, you'll know what we mean. :allears:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The only good elf.

I still have his portrait up on my wall, never gonna take it down.

Velthice posted:

my group finally got to neo tonight, so I did what any sensible xiv player would do

we then died immediately forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCMAcUPU0Rs

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 9, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mister Olympus posted:

This is a bit WAR favored, you neglected to mention that PLD's AoE threat is largely mutually exclusive with its AoE damage, and unlike the other two, it has no way of regenerating resources spent to AoE. It's by far the worst dungeon tank even if it's the best real-content tank.

DRK is also conceptually different in how it does its mitigation than the other two; it has fewer actual cooldown abilities to reduce damage, but its shortest one is significantly shorter than any other and costs MP, so it's about keeping MP in mind rather than paying as much attention to timers. Is technically the "worst" real-content tank because its invincibility mode is on a longer timer than WAR but is less useful than PLD, so it can't cheese mechanics to the same degree that a PLD+WAR pair can... but that's ultimately very, very marginal and numbers-wise they're all on par.

PLD is loving sick in dungeons. You flash once as you run through packs. When you get low on TP you just req and holy spirit single targets while it comes back up. I have both DRK and PLD equally geared and DRK is a much bigger pain to deal with in dungeons although it is better than it used to be with the MP drain on quietus.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
everyone talks about the sextuple fell cleave but no one ever mentions the equally funny sextuple decimate

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

DRK is great in EXDR now. In big pulls you generate so much blood with Blood Price and Quietus gives so much MP you can use DA Abyssal Drain a lot and at 5 targets TBN becomes MP neutral, both of which help survivability a lot. Plus, DRK has the best sustained aoe damage of the tanks, though WAR can burst higher.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i like big pulls and i cannot lie
you other drks can't deny
when trash rolls in looking for a fight
you unmend, hit the darkest night

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Alphinaud you loving idiot

So you get the scions to move out of vesper bay because of pressure from the syndicate, then turn around and accept their money to form your own private army. And you have to balls to be surprised when this bites you in the rear end :psyduck:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Bolow posted:

So you get the scions to move out of vesper bay because of pressure from the syndicate, then turn around and accept their money to form your own private army. And you have to balls to be surprised when this bites you in the rear end :psyduck:

Never forget that he's literally a child. This is a teenager discovering that he isn't immortal and infallible, just with way worse consequences than normal :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

Never forget that he's literally a child. This is a teenager discovering that he isn't immortal and infallible, just with way worse consequences than normal :v:

Yeah, I really appreciate that about him

He is a child super genius but has the actual legitimate flaws of a child and his mistakes are all born from that, rather than just being tiny-but-smart.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DRK is the most fun in dungeons for me because their AOE is actually really well fleshed out and not just "spam this one move forever, maybe hit a cooldown". You're constantly juggling your two resources to make sure you don't run out or overflow on either of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

DRK is the most fun in dungeons for me because their AOE is actually really well fleshed out and not just "spam this one move forever, maybe hit a cooldown". You're constantly juggling your two resources to make sure you don't run out or overflow on either of them.

Yeah, this is how I feel too. DRK is the most fun tank in (at least late) dungeons for this reason. It's a fun balancing game and feels active and most of the buttons feel meaningful to me. I mean they've still got problems (Dark Passanger) but if I have to tank a dungeon i want to do it as a DRK.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bolow posted:

I mean to be fair he doesn't realize his organization is being funded by the syndicate via proxy until it's too late.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Alphinaud should have paid attention to the spooky music that played every time people were talking.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nm i'm bad at math

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Odd question: beyond the scythe are there any Thaum and Conj staffs that share models? I had a glam idea but it would need them to share the same model. (Or close enough that it doesn't really matter.)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Odd question: beyond the scythe are there any Thaum and Conj staffs that share models? I had a glam idea but it would need them to share the same model. (Or close enough that it doesn't really matter.)

I'd suspect the low level disciple of magic weapons? But they aren't really impressive looking

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xun posted:

I'd suspect the low level disciple of magic weapons? But they aren't really impressive looking

Yeah, I admit I was hoping for something a bit less lovely Piece Of Wood but I know that's probably asking a bit.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think some of the primal weapons might work.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Phone posted:

I just started the Anti-Tower part of the MSQ, don't tell me another of my e-friends doesn't make it :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

apostateCourier posted:

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I really appreciate that about him

He is a child super genius but has the actual legitimate flaws of a child and his mistakes are all born from that, rather than just being tiny-but-smart.

He's like if Jon Snow learned from mistakes

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

He's like if Jon Snow learned from mistakes

So you mean totally unlike Jon Snow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I mean to be fair he doesn't realize his organization is being funded by the syndicate via proxy until it's too late.

Maybe I read too far into it when he was talking about successfully securing funds from several Ul'dah traders. I do recall him making some weak dismissal about it being kind of hypocritical but being savvy enough to avoid a conflict of interest, but it might just be cutscene fatigue at this point :shepface:

Also where the gently caress is his sister