Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How did Shaq leave after only 4 years? Was RFA not a thing back then?

It was not (there was like a 8 year period where it did not exist). Check out the 30 for 30 on the start of the Magic, it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Rick posted:

It was not (there was like a 8 year period where it did not exist). Check out the 30 for 30 on the start of the Magic, it's good.

it really was, I was such a magic fan because of shaq and penny when I was young, and then shaq jumped ship but i was a wee boy and didnt care. I was the only boy in the charlotte hornets arena wearing a shaq jersey at my very first game when I was 5 years old. All I can remember is nachos and how god drat gigantic shaq was.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spoeank posted:

hes a bitch who likes when women fart in his face

They had rings on their fingers and bells on their shoo-hooes
Oh Scarlet Begonia....you of artisanal poots
KD knew without askin you were into the bloots
into the bloots

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Mr. Mambold posted:

They had rings on their fingers and bells on their shoo-hooes
Oh Scarlet Begonia....you of artisanal poots
KD knew without askin you were into the bloots
into the bloots

Content Lord Mambold-ojiisan

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
ive never read a better opening to anything in my life

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
KD in DC would have been loving awesome

Wow a world in which West coast players come to the East

To good to be true

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hey

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Listen

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

isme posted:

You don't get rich by spending like MC Hammer. It is required to be tight fist about money to be rich.

lol, defending billionaires. They are loving you right now. They are breaking the system for extra 0s while people are starving and have no homes.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 9, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

isme posted:

You don't get rich by spending like MC Hammer. It is required to be tight fist about money to be rich.

Most get rich through inheritance.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Most get rich through inheritance.

That's why getting rid of the inheritance tax on $ over the 5 million is this weirdly quiet holy grail for a lot of uber wealthy conservative and liberal families.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

lol, I missed the first time around that this was on an inbound. cam got crossed up receiving an inbound pass.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dexo posted:

oh gently caress off. Like KD is a tryhard, but you really think a loving black dude from DC doesn't have convictions on Trump's racist bullshit?

Like sure joke around and hate KD all you want for where he wants to play basketball, and for being a bit of a lame. but it's fairly offensive imply he doesn't actually care about those policies.

It's like a local radio host here thinking Derrick Rose is too stupid to understand the statement he's making when he's wearing an "I Can't breath" shirt during warmups, as if a dude who grew up in Englewood and to this day will pay for funerals for people in his old neighborhood, doesn't have actual knowledge of what's going on.

it's not really. derrick rose despite being kind of a dummy and maybe rapist? is undoubtedly engaged in social causes and in his community, as reflected by his actions and words throughout his career. and he was obviously engaged in the Eric Garner tragedy as evidenced by him wearing the shirt. that's putting yourself out there. which is the whole point; having an opinion is not the same thing as actually giving a poo poo. I don't doubt Kevin Durant dislikes both racism or Donald Trump because so does everybody who's not human garbage, it's kind of the bare minimum.

but notably, while LeBron and derrick rose and everybody else under the sun was comfortable wearing the I can't breathe shirts and speaking out, Durant didn't wear the shirt, and had this to say at the time explaining why and what his feelings were on it:

"Those guys stood up for what they believe in. I felt as a citizen first, I was a little confused about the whole deal. Obviously I didn’t know the facts about everything. I just want what’s right for our whole country. That’s what I’m about : helping everybody uniting. So I’m gonna try to do my part here individually every single day as a man and go from there."

that's pretty much been his position on every remotely controversial subject his whole career, even something as easy as Eric Garner. luckily taking A Stand on Trump isn't controversial, it's pretty much expected. if Durant's publicist thought visiting the White House was a good idea and not a loving PR nightmare, he'd be at the White House talking about unity.

it doesn't mean Durant is A Bad Person who secretly likes Trump and racism; it's pointing out the obvious which is that he hasn't been willing to stick his neck out on a single social issue that wasn't an absolute layup his whole career. it's fine, not everybody is obligated to be Charles Barkley or whatever. some dudes just want to sell shoes.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Mandrel posted:

it's not really. derrick rose despite being kind of a dummy and maybe rapist? is undoubtedly engaged in social causes and in his community, as reflected by his actions and words throughout his career. and he was obviously engaged in the Eric Garner tragedy as evidenced by him wearing the shirt. that's putting yourself out there. which is the whole point; having an opinion is not the same thing as actually giving a poo poo. I don't doubt Kevin Durant dislikes both racism or Donald Trump because so does everybody who's not human garbage, it's kind of the bare minimum.

but notably, while LeBron and derrick rose and everybody else under the sun was comfortable wearing the I can't breathe shirts and speaking out, Durant didn't wear the shirt, and had this to say at the time explaining why and what his feelings were on it:

"Those guys stood up for what they believe in. I felt as a citizen first, I was a little confused about the whole deal. Obviously I didn’t know the facts about everything. I just want what’s right for our whole country. That’s what I’m about : helping everybody uniting. So I’m gonna try to do my part here individually every single day as a man and go from there."

that's pretty much been his position on every remotely controversial subject his whole career, even something as easy as Eric Garner. luckily taking A Stand on Trump isn't controversial, it's pretty much expected. if Durant's publicist thought visiting the White House was a good idea and not a loving PR nightmare, he'd be at the White House talking about unity.

it doesn't mean Durant is A Bad Person who secretly likes Trump and racism; it's pointing out the obvious which is that he hasn't been willing to stick his neck out on a single social issue that wasn't an absolute layup his whole career. it's fine, not everybody is obligated to be Charles Barkley or whatever. some dudes just want to sell shoes.

It means Durant was in OKC and knew he couldn't say poo poo without the city going crazy.
He's a dude that doesn't like to be criticized at all, it's not surprising he didn't say anything. He's said way more about it since moving to the bay I think. I also kinda think he's a super awkward dude whose entire life has revolved around basketball. And he really doesn't know how to function when he's not around it.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
To be fair, Durant did let his father worm his way back into his life after abandoning him as a baby. Maybe durant is just very empathetic. like those cops have a hard job too ya know.

Lebron could learn something.

Femur fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 9, 2017

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Spite posted:

It means Durant was in OKC and knew he couldn't say poo poo without the city going crazy.
He's a dude that doesn't like to be criticized at all, it's not surprising he didn't say anything. He's said way more about it since moving to the bay I think. I also kinda think he's a super awkward dude whose entire life has revolved around basketball. And he really doesn't know how to function when he's not around it.

being in OKC hasn't stopped Westbrook and other Thunder players past/present from being public with their feelings to at least some extent about race and police violence. there's never been anything preventing Durant using his platform to advocate if he wanted to, he's just always chosen not to

can't disagree with the second part though

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hrrm hrrm have u considered that he didnt speak out cause he was not yet in MY cool and good city (which is cool and good)?? or maybe its just personal distance from me, an incredibly enlightened person from the best city.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Consider this: Kevin Durant is a milquetoast fart huffer with a big rear end dent in his head

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/906487601263267842

Earl!!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mandrel posted:

And yet LeBron 100% punted when it came to the Tamir Rice shooting right in his loving back yard. (Oh I don't know anything about it, or something to that effect)

Everybody has to make a business decision every once in a while.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Consider this: Kevin Durant is a milquetoast fart huffer with a big rear end dent in his head

I hope that you mean he is both milquetoast and a fart huffer. Because while he might be an unflavored sno-cone generally, when it comes to getting people to fart right in his face, KD is electric.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

I hope that you mean he is both milquetoast and a fart huffer. Because while he might be an unflavored sno-cone generally, when it comes to getting people to fart right in his face, KD is electric.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm glad Kevin Durant is using Youtube, Twitter, and Bill Simmons to Tell His Own Story and Generate His Own Content. It ensures that his scorching hot takes like "T-Mac is a great scorer" don't get misinterpreted by the ever dishonest basketball media.

Looking forward to hearing what else he has to say and a wide range of issues.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Being good at basketball and otherwise uninteresting: Truly an infuriating combination.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spite posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

AggressivelyStupid posted:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
One week to 2k

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://theathletic.com/95510/2017/09/08/how-will-lauri-markkanens-success-translate-to-the-nba
A nice little piece about Lauri Markkanen

The more you waste your life paying attention to sports, the more you realize that the balance of GMs in football and basketball are more concerned with emptying rosters of players they didn't draft/sign and making sure they are responsible for the transaction netting every man on the roster. Their insecurity results in a large amount of sub optimal transactions.

It puts them above bad GMs who are simply bad, but below GMs who manage by retaining talented players and acquiring players at below market rates

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 9, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ghost Dog posted:

hrrm hrrm have u considered that he didnt speak out cause he was not yet in MY cool and good city (which is cool and good)?? or maybe its just personal distance from me, an incredibly enlightened person from the best city.

lol

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/895669243265470464/photo/1

The stripes on the new Wolves uniforms don't continue to the arm holes, and look low-rent as a result

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Gfj7Pv8Bw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ6PIAdAX2o

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i will enjoy wistfully trying to imagine the career markkanen could've had if he had been drafted by an actual basketball team

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Dirk retweeted the final of Germany v France. Germany knocked France out. I decided to look up the box score.
http://www.fiba.basketball/eurobasket/2017/0909/Germany-France|tab=boxscore_statistics
De Colo missed the potential game winner.

Daniel Theis had a good game. Celtics might have another good player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag-EC3kSxVI

Lol at Maxi Kleber being on the Mavs roster but not Germany. The Mavs probably didn't sign a hidden gem and are doing Dirk a favor by getting a guy from his hometown.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 9, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Dejan Bimble posted:

The stripes on the new Wolves uniforms don't continue to the arm holes, and look low-rent as a result

I don't know how I feel about this but I'm confident it's nothing positive.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
1st ballot Huffer of Farts, that Kevin

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dejan Bimble posted:

Ew

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i like the new wolves uniforms, i don't like pit stripes

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Do you guys think that Michael Porter will be the first Irish Republican Army commando to be selected first overall in the NBA draft?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Do you guys think that Michael Porter will be the first Irish Republican Army commando to be selected first overall in the NBA draft?

Dejan, I want your drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yes.

• Locked thread