Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spacebump posted:

Doesn't it require you to use SD cards even if you have the cart version? Or was wherever I read that misinformed?

You'll need memory space for saved games and the Switch only has like 25GB local storage (32 but obv a chunk is used for the OS) so that's probably what they were referring to. Sports games tend to have pretty big save files, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
2K has managed the impossible

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
NBA Live is available for EA Access people now FYI

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Like 20 days before release date? Alright

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Do you need a pre-order? I'm going to get EA access for discounted fifa 18 so I'll just get it tomorrow if I can also try live out free

e- It is indeed free. I'll do a report on the ultimate team game mode if anyone is interested.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zelah posted:

Like 20 days before release date? Alright

between that and the 40 dollar preorder Live's plan of 'we can't make better gameplay but we can undercut 2k at every turn in other ways' is strong.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/NBA2K/status/905596500855492608

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

No switch or pc, the greatest consoles :colbert:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I'm actually pretty pumped

AI looks pretty good and I play only offline so that's lucky.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Looks like the my2k app doesn't do you any good if you're on switch. Nevertheless I persisted.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Duggler posted:

I'm actually pretty pumped

AI looks pretty good and I play only offline so that's lucky.

yea I'm pretty into what I've seen from early vids and all, eager to actually see if it can deliver.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So apparently the PlayStation store crashed from all of the people trying to download the prelude :stonklol:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Got it working through the PlayStation app finally

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

No Xbone siting

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

The Duggler posted:

No Xbone siting

https://twitter.com/Ronnie2K/status/906011204681842688

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Ref whistle coming out of the PS4 controller startled the hell out of me. Real happy to hear a "ball don't lie" after a free throw

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I was probably gonna get 2K18 on Steam but I'll do Prelude on PS4 to see how career mode has changed (and to make sure that 2K is the game I want to go with this year).

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Prelude pretty cool so far. ATM looks exactly like my brother in law so thats NEAT

reach in foul in a streetball tourney IF YOU DONT GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE WITH THAT 2K :mad:

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 8, 2017

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Played through the prelude, seemed pretty good. It was a little strange they have your player being 5'6 during the cutscenes though.

I managed to put up what was probably 50ish points I'm 2kU in the 10 minute game, the popups aren't too annoying if you set them to advanced only.

It's probably on pro but Steph and KD were basically unstoppable and I could just pull up from anywhere and make shots

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
oh sweet minor power outtage knocked out my game in the middle of the proving grounds game and apparently I cant play anymore at all since it detected ive already played the prelude. Nice

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is prelude all street ball or is there a legit NBA arena to play a game in?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
haha so apparently you can only play the prelude once and then it tells you to just play the full game. Cool weird burner demo, 2k.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Really dont understand the point of that. Especially if you want to try out a few builds to get a feel for it

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Try playing it on a different account? That worked last year.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Prelude was really disappointing, the whole proving grounds thing was just cringey to me. And why am I not allowed to access the menu to turn on the play diagramming on the court, even in the NBA tryout practice? It just ends up in organised chaos where unless you are playing point guard you are just ambling around trying to get open and set screens occasionally, even though your teammates are obviously running an actual play but you have no idea what it is so sucks for you.

Also I went for an outside shooting 6'9" SF and the Jazz as my team and then was matched up against Gobert at the 5 in the tryout game. Great.

For Glumslinger a suggestion for the team for next year's MyPlayer story: Play as a hyped up high schooler and do the college career thing again, because that was really good the last couple of years and last year worked really well. You get hyped as a lottery pick, possible number one overall, but then in a pre-draft workout you suffer a catastrophic ACL tear or something and all the NBA passes on you and you go undrafted. So you have to recover and come back a year, maybe two years later as an undrafted player and have to do the tryout process. Also explains to some extent why your player could be so hyped, but start out so unathletic and bad.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 8, 2017

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

tanglewood1420 posted:

For Glumslinger a suggestion for the team for next year's MyPlayer story: Play as a hyped up high schooler and do the college career thing again, because that was really good the last couple of years and last year worked really well. You get hyped as a lottery pick, possible number one overall, but then in a pre-draft workout you suffer a catastrophic ACL tear or something and all the NBA passes on you and you go undrafted. So you have to recover and come back a year, maybe two years later as an undrafted player and have to do the tryout process. Also explains to some extent why your player could be so hyped, but start out so unathletic and bad.

I may be letting the joke sail way above my head here, but is this not pretty much the NBA Live story this year? Apart from ending up undrafted in your comeback draft.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I didn't play the Live demo so didn't know that.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

tanglewood1420 posted:

I didn't play the Live demo so didn't know that.

That's cool, I wasn't criticising or anything. I like it as a story, it just so happens that coincidentally someone at EA did too!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

It would also be nice if your draft pick determined your stats to some degree. If the top 5 picks are all around mid-70s, it would make sense for you to be too. I doubt they'd go for that as it could impact their VC sales maybe, but who knows.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I bad person for liking nba live.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
The gameplay is still pretty trash but the presentation won me over enough to pick it up cheap next summer

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I think 2k 'wins' by most measures but the few ones where it doesn't are stuff like 'presentation' and 'an actually really clever way to handle single player progression' and 'not gouging you at every turn' and those are pretty big wins for Live to hang their hat on.

Live is a very strong B- game, the problem is despite our grumbles about 2k, and they are mostly valid grumbles they shouldn't ignore, it is still an A product at the end of the day. I think it's a show of the value in taking time on stuff like this that Live was able to go from lovely last game to this even if it's not the 2k killer yet.

Maybe next year they'll have the full EA Sports Frostbite treatment and something will change.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 9, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I pre-ordered Live. Gameplay is fun in a way that's different enough from 2K. Plus no VC bullshit or dumb fluff 2K thinks is cool.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I gave both a fair amount of time, and I'm also going with Live. 2K took a step back this year.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I'm getting Live for PS4 as well since I enjoyed the demo more than the 2k one. That said, 2k18 has a switch version for portable basketball, so I'll probably end up getting that as well (when the physical version eventually releases).

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TheJetCityFix posted:

I gave both a fair amount of time, and I'm also going with Live. 2K took a step back this year.

Yeah I'm really on the fence, not sure at all which I'm gonna go for.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think you guys are insane if you think Live when actually playing the game is close to 2k.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dexo posted:

I think you guys are insane if you think Live when actually playing the game is close to 2k.

Isn't about what's close, I found Live to be a fun version of video game basketball. 2K is cool too. They're different flavors.

And I don't particularly care for all the bullshit 2K has.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Dexo posted:

It's not but it's 20 bucks cheaper and also not tied up with a bunch of bad bullshit decisions and terrible storytelling and all this other baggage.

2k's on the court product is basically unbeatable but I don't just sit and play single games in a vacuum all the time and I'm not hugely into franchise stuff, so that leaves me with an increasingly obnoxious and sub par career mode and an ultimate team mode that will almost certainly suffer from bad online play stuff like every year, and they both are incredibly lovely about price gouging and pay2win and premium currency poo poo.

The gameplay in 2k is so good that its keeping me on the fence but man I am getting sick of all the other poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea see I'm a big franchise fan so 2k still is winning hard there, but yea you can't pretend that gameplay is all that counts here. 2K is making some REALLY stupid choices, not just in the normal 'I don't think you understand why we like basketball' kinda story choices and all but their absolutely obscene VC poo poo and the fact that I think at this point they're just actively choosing not to do anything to their netcode aren't minor complaints. If this was a pure 'do you execute basketball gameplay best' yea 2k wins by a mile but Live is just making choices that are objectively less garbage and that's something that shouldn't be ignored.

• Locked thread