Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Enos Cabell posted:

Got around to watching We Need to Talk About Kevin on Netflix, and hot drat that is one gut punch of a movie. Tilda Swinton and Ezra Miller both had incredible performances.

I forgot that Ezra Miller was in that. We have seen :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Enos Cabell posted:

Got around to watching We Need to Talk About Kevin on Netflix, and hot drat that is one gut punch of a movie. Tilda Swinton and Ezra Miller both had incredible performances.

Goddamn I love this film. Tilda Swinton is the next evolutionary step for humankind- I've adored her since I saw her in The Beach which is one hell of a guilty pleasure movie for me.

For maximum gut punching watch Kevin and then The House of Sand and Fog

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
As a brand new dad, the premise of We need to talk about Kevin scares the poo poo out of me. The first 30 minutes of that movie are so unnerving.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Nihonniboku posted:

Well, isn't that exactly what that twist ending does?

Plot is kind of beside the point, I want them to figure out what's funny and what isn't

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

fishtobaskets posted:

As a brand new dad, the premise of We need to talk about Kevin scares the poo poo out of me. The first 30 minutes of that movie are so unnerving.

It was way scarier to me than The Babadook which had pretty similar themes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

morestuff posted:

Plot is kind of beside the point, I want them to figure out what's funny and what isn't

"I love frozen yogurt. It's so typical of humans to make something worse so you can have more of it."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fishtobaskets posted:

For the most part he had a pretty good relationship with his dad.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does Narcos S3 flesh out the Cali guys more? Two episodes in and they seem like generic unsympathetic Boss Bad Guys. Escobar was such a larger-than-life character with amazing delusions of grandeur that you couldn't help rooting for him a bit. He was at least very loyal to his family, but these Cali guys seem like they would screw anybody over at the drop of a hat. It seems like maybe they're setting up some other characters to fill the sympathetic role instead?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I've watched little evil twice now and I might go for a third. It was great to put on at a party at 3 am this weekend

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

david_a posted:

Does Narcos S3 flesh out the Cali guys more?

A bit. S3 focuses more on events and the DEA / Columbians getting lucky with Salcedo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

morestuff posted:

Honestly, the only thing that didn't really work for me was when Eleanor's bad behavior caused the town to go haywire; the concept was funny, and Eleanor and Chidi having to scramble to hide that it was Eleanor's fault was hilarious, but the actual effects of the things happening were super janky and kind of ruined the joke.

Michael's reaction to "Jianyu" marrying Janet is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a TV show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Michael's reaction to "Jianyu" marrying Janet is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a TV show.

Janet's reactions to getting married are even funnier!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

Janet's reactions to getting married are even funnier!

I dunno, Janet being confused by the idea was funny to me, but Michael just completely losing his composure over it was loving incredible.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I watched every episode today while coding, it's a good show and yeah I def get season one parks n rec vibes

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I was afraid Danson had lost it after he sleepwalked through the denouement of CSI Original Flavor, but drat he brought his A-game to The Good Place.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I'm still mad they canceled Bored to Death way too early for my taste. Danson was great in it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Just finished The Good Place.

Rating: Nice!

It's good tv.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

fishtobaskets posted:

My wife and I have an almost 7-month old boy and she still won't watch it. I keep telling her not to worry though, since he's not colicky and doesn't seem to only cry and scream around her.

But yes, it's an excellent film, and Lynne Ramsay really needs more feature films. I've heard You Were Never Really Here is good, and I certainly hope it gets a wide release soon.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I'm still mad they canceled Bored to Death way too early for my taste. Danson was great in it.
I was into that show while it was coming out, and now I can remember literally nothing about it. I dunno if that's more my issue, but I feel like maybe it just didn't have staying power.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Disney is pulling their Star Wars and their Marvel movies from Netflix to put on their own thing. Fractalization!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Hmm, I wonder if there's a meta service that will aggregate all these different content producers together, possibly in a bundle style subscription model, so I only have to pay one party... it could come in over the coaxial line in my apartment. we could call it uhhhh

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Hmm, I wonder if there's a meta service that will aggregate all these different content producers together, possibly in a bundle style subscription model, so I only have to pay one party... it could come in over the coaxial line in my apartment. we could call it uhhhh

I get the joke you're making, but it's also the case that Amazon does this right now. That's why you can buy, like, Showtime through them. Though it would be odd for Disney to use that.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 7, 2017

mystes
May 31, 2006

It would be pretty cool if Netflix would appear as a channel on amazon but I'm sure they'd never go for that. (Well maybe eventually if they totally give up on being a generic streaming service and just have their own content and become less obsessed with being an awesome technology company that spends tons of money on BIG DATA to give totally useless recommendations.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm enjoying room 104 on HBO.

I know there's a bunch of Duplass bros fans itt so check it out.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Watching anything Duplass is like mainlining the blood of a manic pixie dream girl.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

drunken officeparty posted:

Watching anything Duplass is like mainlining the blood of a manic pixie dream girl.

That's what makes Creep so special.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

drunken officeparty posted:

The advantage season 2 had over 1 is that there was no voodoo magic bullshit.

Actually that made it worse.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah especially the last ep of season one really did it for me, awesome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I like Duplass Bros. stuff but episodes 1 and 3 fell really flat for me. 2 was genuinely great though.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Holy shirt The Good Place was worth binging, phenomenal finale and I can't wait for more :tviv:

Seriously can't remember the last time a twist got me, that show went from Parks and Rec to Westworld in half an hour. I started feeling a hunch when the flashbacks with Tahani being so obsessed with her self image, but couldn't quite grasp the big picture.

air- fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 9, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

air- posted:

Holy shirt The Good Place was worth binging, phenomenal finale and I can't wait for more :tviv:

Seriously can't remember the last time a twist got me, that show went from Parks and Rec to Westworld in half an hour. I started feeling a hunch when the flashbacks with Tahani being so obsessed with her self image, but couldn't quite grasp the big picture.

Yeah, it's one of those shows that seem cute but kind of dumb on concept. It's hard to sell people on it, because you can't really convince people without spoiling anything for them. It's more of one of those shows where somebody has to trust your taste, and take your word on it.

I'm excited for season 2.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I absolutely refused to watch it until I heard what the twist was.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The season 1 "is it supernatural or not" argument is the dumbest loving thing in the world, because either way it's about two jagoffs staring into the face of evil, and there's enough there for it to easily be interpreted either way and still arrive in the same place thematically.

However, teasing season 2 as being about "the occult history of the post office" and then not delivering is a hanging crime.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

However, teasing season 2 as being about "the occult history of the post office" and then not delivering is a hanging crime.

Whoa, I must have missed that. What's the story there?

I liked S2 well enough, but I'm in the 3% of the populace that can tolerate Vince Vaughn.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The story was that the showrunner teased occult stuff pre-writing and then decided not to do that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

I like Duplass Bros. stuff but episodes 1 and 3 fell really flat for me. 2 was genuinely great though.

It's a bit hit or miss. 1 is definitely the weakest. The ending felt like a real wet fart but I liked it until that point.

2 and 5 are the best episodes and 6 is pretty interesting if nothing else.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The new Bojack is pretty solid so far. Just getting to final third, which is where things traditionally start to get outrageously dark. Maybe not as funny or clever as the previous seasons, but satisfactory.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If I thought last season of Bojack was just more of the same and the series was spinning in place, would I like the new season?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If I thought last season of Bojack was just more of the same and the series was spinning in place, would I like the new season?
It depends, did you like the last season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It was fine and all, but I could pass on another season of the same.