Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I still love Final Wars. The whole movie is insane and its one of the few the non Kaiju parts aren't boring or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

twistedmentat posted:

I still love Final Wars. The whole movie is insane and its one of the few the non Kaiju parts aren't boring or bad.

Remake all the Ultraman shows but they turn into a giant Don Frye instead, imo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

purple death ray posted:

Remake all the Ultraman shows but they turn into a giant Don Frye instead, imo

They need to bring him back for the Shin Godzilla remake.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

I love Ebirah and Hedorah showing and immediately getting wasted.

The Millennium series is really uneven for me, but Giant Monsters All-Out Attack is solid. Heisei is my personal favorite era, with Biollante and vs King Ghidorah being standouts. VS King Ghidorah rivals Final Wars for goofy moments without the dodgy CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJYS7Vu1sQs

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 8, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love Ebirah and Hedorah showing and immediately getting wasted.

The Millennium series is really uneven for me, but Giant Monsters All-Out Attack is solid. Heisei is my personal favorite era, with Biollante and vs King Ghidorah being standouts. VS King Ghidorah rivals Final Wars for goofy moments without the dodgy CGI.

I knew all out attack was gonna be good when it started out with a bunch of teenagers getting owned by one of the protectors for trying to drown a dog

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My Godzilla viewing has been really spotty. I've seen aforementioned Final Wars and Destroy all monsters, and Godzilla vs Megalon (not the mst3k version, though of course I've seen that too), vs Destatorah, 2000 and Tokyo SOS. I really want to see the early ones. Most of my information on them comes from Cinemasscars Godzillathon Monster Madness from 2010. Oh and of course I saw Shin Godzilla when it was playing in Toronto.

I do have the BRDs of the 2000s Gamera series though. They're pretty solid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you're ever in the need of something to watch I'd definitely recommend watching the rest, they're very entertaining

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really wish they were in Canadian Netflix or anything really. Or a nice big box set of them, even if it was broken up by series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Whenever I watch a new Godzilla flick, I read this guy's review after. Really informative, the guys tosses in tons of behind the scenes info.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Final Wars may not be good but it’ll forever get a pass and “it’s loving awesome” from me for:
1. Don Frye
2. Monster X and the reveal.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Marvel is currently doing like a live entertainment show that's currently touring around the country. It's a pretty fun kid's show. It's based mostly off of the MCU and hits a lot of familiar beats. The big surprise to me though is that they up and go to K'un Lun at one point and Iron Fist shows up to help out. Like full Iron Fist suit and they fight a dragon. Worst part is that they went to the Savage Land and landed the plane normally. Surely someone should be aware that no such thing could occur in the Marvel universe.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Someone should do a story about the perfectly functional airport in the Savage Land that was built after everyone kept crashing there and how utterly bored the staff are.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Inkspot posted:

Someone should do a story about the perfectly functional airport in the Savage Land that was built after everyone kept crashing there and how utterly bored the staff are.

It should also have a gift shop and food court.

Oh wait, they show that in the most recent Unbeatable Squirrel Girl storyline.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Inkspot posted:

What If... the Savage Land had an airport?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WHOOPS posted:

What If... the Savage Land had an airport?

We could have a spinoff called T-Rex Air Traffic Control.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Inkspot”" post="“476227073”"]
[/quote]

Didn’t Sunspot have a base in the Savage Land during Hickman’s run? I’m fairly confident he landed a plane arriving there once.

I guess I now hate Hickman’s run.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Marvel is currently doing like a live entertainment show that's currently touring around the country. It's a pretty fun kid's show. It's based mostly off of the MCU and hits a lot of familiar beats. The big surprise to me though is that they up and go to K'un Lun at one point and Iron Fist shows up to help out. Like full Iron Fist suit and they fight a dragon. Worst part is that they went to the Savage Land and landed the plane normally. Surely someone should be aware that no such thing could occur in the Marvel universe.

I took my nephews to that a couple of years ago. The original version involved Storm, Wolverine and Cyclops being kidnapped to power some machine. Since they spend most of the show trapped they don't have a major role, they just get to do a bit in the big final fight (except Cyclops does nothing even though his power is like the easiest to portray in a show like that.)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Reading about the Toronto International Film Festival, it seems there is a I Kill Giants movie? Somehow I've never heard of it in any media outlet of forums that I frequent until now, even thought the - very small - wiki article says it has been in production since 2015

Shame because this kind of small production probably won't be released in any of my local theaters and I rather liked the original comic.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

I took my nephews to that a couple of years ago. The original version involved Storm, Wolverine and Cyclops being kidnapped to power some machine. Since they spend most of the show trapped they don't have a major role, they just get to do a bit in the big final fight (except Cyclops does nothing even though his power is like the easiest to portray in a show like that.)

This story was about Nebula delivering the Wand of Watomb to Loki so he could take over all of existence. I can't lie, seeing 15 MCU guys fight a bunch of mooks and Loki was basically what I hope Infinity War is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just looking up some entertainment news and noticed that Spider-Man has apparently leapfrogged both Wonder Woman and Pirates of the Caribbean at the box office this week. Did it open in China last week or something?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Just looking up some entertainment news and noticed that Spider-Man has leapfrogged Wonder Woman at the box office this week. Did it open in China last week or something like that?
Yes

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

E: Whoops

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Just looking up some entertainment news and noticed that Spider-Man has apparently swung over both Wonder Woman and Pirates of the Caribbean at the box office this week. Did it open in China last week or something?

FTFY, true believer!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's Harbour as Hellboy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That looks really good. Is Harbor that swole though or is that a suit?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Looks almost exactly like Ron Perlman's Hellboy, which is a good thing.

But all the drawings I've ever seen of Hellboy always have him looking more slouched or droopy. Would be nice to see that kinda direction for the character instead of another version of him standing tall like a brick shithouse.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dacap posted:

Here's Harbour as Hellboy

I thought they said this version was going to be more accurate to the comics, so why isn't he wearing bootyshorts? :thunk:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

That looks really good. Is Harbor that swole though or is that a suit?

Definitely a suit, he's a big guy but not that big.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Definitely a suit, he's a big guy but not that big.

It's impressively real.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It's way more realistic looking. Perlmans chest always looked plasticky with the shirt off

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Don't think I ever saw the second Hellboy movie. I liked the first movie well enough; Perlman's good in it and all, but I tend to group them in with all the other early-00s movies where everyone seemed to be wearing a whole lot of black leather (Blade, The Matrix, Van Helsing, Underworld, Ultraviolet, Aeon Flux, the Resident Evil movies, the first three X-Men movies, to some extent League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raiders etc.).

Thought it was a bit goofy how the ninja guy in the gas mask had to twirl his knives around like he was doing some kind of interpretive dance every time he got them out.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Regarding the new Hellboy movie, I have to say I have a lot of respect for Ed Skrein (white) being cast as Ben Daimyo (half Japanese), not being aware of that whitewashing until the whitewashing outcry happened, and then basically saying, "Yeah, that is actually kind of a poo poo thing to do, I'm stepping down". But politely. Has that kind of thing happened in any other movie castings?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something we're getting out of the Hellboy reboot is DH putting out four Hellboy Omnibus books which are every Mignola story in timeline order.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Something we're getting out of the Hellboy reboot is DH putting out four Hellboy Omnibus books which are every Mignola story in timeline order.

Did they ever finish releasing the Library Editions or are these basically replacing them?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This was also posted with the new Hellboy in CineD.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Not really a fan of the righr hand of doom being metal instead of stone but whay the hey.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

How is DH doing with the loss of the Star Wars license? Those books were some of my favorite parts of the Star Wars universe, was really sad to hear they lost the license.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The loss of the SW license did hurt Dark Horse but it was inevitable. Despite Mike RIchardson's claims everyone knew as soon as Disney bought Marvel that the SW comics would be there shortly. They've rebounded since then are are on stable enough publishing ground as they have no shortage of licenses and creator owned content in their catalog.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Takezio posted:

Regarding the new Hellboy movie, I have to say I have a lot of respect for Ed Skrein (white) being cast as Ben Daimyo (half Japanese), not being aware of that whitewashing until the whitewashing outcry happened, and then basically saying, "Yeah, that is actually kind of a poo poo thing to do, I'm stepping down". But politely. Has that kind of thing happened in any other movie castings?

He's been officially replaced by Daniel Dae Kim. Does it matter that he's Korean and not Japanese? I mean I understand if the point is just to have the role go to an Asian actor, but to what degree does it matter that the nationality is still wrong?

I mean I guess no one really cares when a British actor plays an American but I don't know how comparable that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

fruit on the bottom posted:

I mean I guess no one really cares when a British actor plays an American but I don't know how comparable that is.
People do care, for some things. JK Rowling was insistent about an all-British cast for Harry Potter, and a lot of people would be unhappy if James Bond was played by a seppo. Not to mention the various characters who are the "right" ethnicity but have terrible accents.

• Locked thread