Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm noticing a trend here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hmm 3 of those boys i want to kiss, is that the trend?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hmm 3 of those boys i want to kiss, is that the trend?

Yeah I need to figure out how to look that good in a jacket over a double-breasted buttonup

:fap:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

All I can hear in my head is Jerec shouting "KYAHL KATAHN!"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Disney has gotten a ridiculous amount of mileage out of mashing up Han's Empire jacket and Luke's medal ceremony jacket in various proportions.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Diego Luna is just so god drat gorgeous

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He looks like the smelly kid who sits in the back that no one talks to. Doesn't play sports. Has ferrets. Always out sick (ferret-related?)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Instead of falling into a giant man eating vagina Phasma is going to be killed by a giant falling penis statue

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

banned from Starbucks posted:

Instead of falling into a giant man eating vagina Phasma is going to be killed by a giant falling penis statue

The statue would have to be rising to really fit the metaphor.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

K. Waste posted:

That's the thing about Rogue One and criticisms that the characters and their respective experiences are under-defined. Characters aren't just islands, they reflect upon one another. As SMG has pointed out, Cassian's experience reflects upon aspects of Jyn's experience that aren't explicitly shown, and that's not the only area in which Rogue One plays with this sense of duality. Indeed, the whole film is built rather overtly around duality. The most obvious example is Chirrut and Baze (the faith of the former bringing the latter out of his cynicism), Kay and Bodhi (both participants in the struggle who were formerly imperial soldiers who became 're-programmed' to fight for the rebellion), Saw and Galen (both father-figures as well as doomed subversives within their respective political spheres). Even the 'fan service' in the movie is explicitly dualistic: Artoo and Threepio, the two mooks who escape the genocide on Jedha only to be made examples by Obi-Wan, the CGI-realized Tarkin and Leia.

And, of course, the whole movie is about the problematic duality between the Empire and the Rebel Alliance, that the overly pragmatic concerns of the latter betray how they'll inevitably succumb to the corruption that spawned the former.

My favorite example pointed out in this thread has to be Krennic as the pathetic all too human counterpart to Vader, complete with inverted color scheme for his clothes and guards.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Okay but also the movie was really boring.

I believe this reaction is at least partly attributable to Jyn being the most literate Star Wars protagonist. She's defined by her awareness of what's going on around her, and of the implications of her actions.

Like, for example, Jyn knows that the handgun she 'found' is - symbolically - the same one held by her mother, and therefore represents the likelihood that she will also die for nothing. And it is simultaneously the handgun described in dialogue - when she was left with when she was abandoned by Saw, meaning that she is 'back in the bunker', left to fend for herself.

With this in mind, it's obvious that Jyn changes dramatically over the course of the film - because she hands the gun to K. It's a display of respect for K's willingness to keep fighting, and the gun now represents the opportunity to go out on your own terms. And when Jyn confronts Krennic without the gun (reenacting the standoff from the prologue) it clearly demonstrates her newfound faith.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I believe this reaction is at least partly attributable to Jyn being the most literate Star Wars protagonist. She's defined by her awareness of what's going on around her, and of the implications of her actions.

Like, for example, Jyn knows that the handgun she 'found' is - symbolically - the same one held by her mother, and therefore represents the likelihood that she will also die for nothing. And it is simultaneously the handgun described in dialogue - when she was left with when she was abandoned by Saw, meaning that she is 'back in the bunker', left to fend for herself.

With this in mind, it's obvious that Jyn changes dramatically over the course of the film - because she hands the gun to K. It's a display of respect for K's willingness to keep fighting, and the gun now represents the opportunity to go out on your own terms. And when Jyn confronts Krennic without the gun (reenacting the standoff from the prologue) it clearly demonstrates her newfound faith.

I think it's a little more basic than that -- it's that it's all presented with such a lack of flair, or I guess what you might call narrative resonance. Because I can't remember anything of what you just wrote about.

Maybe it needed a better score.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It did need a better score, yeah. It's a good movie with some stunning visuals, but the soundtrack is too bland.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

porfiria posted:

Yeah but I mean even those guys have some visual stuff going on indicating they're like a sub boss or whatever. I'm talking dudes that look like the director just pulled them from the background one day.

There's the hero shoretrooper the slings a grenade into Rogue One's transport.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think it's a little more basic than that -- it's that it's all presented with such a lack of flair, or I guess what you might call narrative resonance. Because I can't remember anything of what you just wrote about.

It's 'unceremonious,' or understated, as I described before, but I think it's way underrating it to say that the film lacks flair. And not just because the cinematography is beautiful, or because the action set pieces are well choreographed. I think it's just a flair that rewards a particularist mindset rather than, i dunno, maybe a grandiosity to the characters' dialog or actors' performances, or even the score. The importance of Artoo and Threepio showing up is to underline exactly what Kay and Bodhi are not. There's no flamboyancy to them - one because Kay is jaded and cynical, and for the other because Bodhi is just such a bizarrely horrific and comic production of the political struggle going on in the film. Their whole existence basically boils down to an anecdote from the margins of the 'real thing,' with the point being that there's no glorious ceremony awaiting these mooks. There's ostensibly a thematic connection between their actions and the events of Star Wars, but in execution it is a radical departure from Luke Skywalker's heroic wish fulfillment.

And it's not like Edwards is deceptive at all about this. We smash cut from what is ostensibly Saw rescuing Jyn to Jyn being in prison next to a snoring Cthulhu. That's the level that the story is operating on, not just with what is shown (like, say, with how the costume design parallels Saw with Darth Vader), but with conspicuous absence, the implications created by everything that is not shown. These are characters whose heroic arc is toward suicide. For lack of better terms, they don't get to have grandiosity, or the sensation that these friendships that spontaneously develop between them are gonna evolve over their continued struggle against oppression, because obviously they won't. They themselves are dealing with the absurd ambivalence of this, that their circumstances arise so violently and suddenly, and that they're so alienated from the 'good fight.' Since the film is a sequel to the highly contentious prequel trilogy, with the classic Patton Oswalt argument that "I don't care where the things I love come from!", these creative choices seem particularly apt. But there's no lack of flair to it. We already have the nostalgia of the OT and the hokey histrionics of the PT - Rogue One is testing the waters of how the same settings and motifs can explore different emotional and psychological territory. Jyn and her cohorts aren't in remotely the same position as Luke and his friends.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

It did need a better score, yeah. It's a good movie with some stunning visuals, but the soundtrack is too bland.

I think this is more that the Star Wars music we're used to is just so iconic it's hard for anything to live up to it, but IMO the score is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42CTq5QZtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqcXAPejbj0

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You can't skip the details, because the movie is all details.

I've written this before, but John William's scores are Star Wars' biggest liability, and are probably THE reason why many ended up confused by the prequels.

Everyone and everything is valorized by the epic, grandiose music - including the Republic-Empire. And this means people don't really think about what is actually going on in The Duel Of The Fates or whatever. They just accept that this is an important battle, missing that it's a fiasco. You would get far fewer complaints about how the Anakin/Padme romance was 'supposed to be' without that stuff dominating the scenes.

The only way to redeem William's music is to read it as an intrusion - even as sarcastic commentary.

Rogue One is just the first film in the series with a normal score, which places more emphasis on visuals. Instead of a text crawl with music, we have a fully visualized prologue.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 10, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

You would get far fewer complaints about how the Anakin/Padme romance was 'supposed to be' without that stuff dominating the scenes.
Ah, so I should put on subtitles and play something with saxophones over those scenes?

"Careless Whisper" or something a little more modern?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Do not take movies as a whole. If you don't think the soundtrack should be there just ignore it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vinylshadow posted:

Ah, so I should put on subtitles and play something with saxophones over those scenes?

If the prequels were done more conventionally, you'd have 'Ominous Strings' slapped over like every scene.

But like I wrote, it's really just a matter of being aware that the music is tricking you. In the romance scenes, the music is the dark force that brings these two together into their unholy union.

Most people do the disparity between the music and the visuals, but then conclude that the visuals are wrong. It's just a matter of flipping that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vinylshadow posted:

Nah it's Baker Street

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

If the prequels were done more conventionally, you'd have 'Ominous Strings' slapped over like every scene.

But like I wrote, it's really just a matter of being aware that the music is tricking you. In the romance scenes, the music is the dark force that brings these two together into their unholy union.

Most people do the disparity between the music and the visuals, but then conclude that the visuals are wrong. It's just a matter of flipping that.

"Across the Stars" is ominous, though, albeit in a subtle way- it's the Star Wars theme in a minor key (similar to the march at the end of Phantom Menace being a peppy, upbeat version of the Emperor's Theme.) Maybe Williams was too subtle for people to pick up on this but the ominous signals are there.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Another thing I found really dull about Rogue One is how uninhabited the world felt. The protagonists just went from location to location, along the way encountering...exactly what they expected. There are no Jawas, sand people, trash compactor snakes, wompas, giant asteroid worms, Ewoks...the most egregious example is Scarif, a vibrant, tropical jungle world with apparently zero animal life. Boring.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

"Across the Stars" is ominous, though, albeit in a subtle way- it's the Star Wars theme in a minor key (similar to the march at the end of Phantom Menace being a peppy, upbeat version of the Emperor's Theme.) Maybe Williams was too subtle for people to pick up on this but the ominous signals are there.

People do pick up on that, but 'beautiful with dark undercurrents' is kind of boilerplate doomed-romance stuff.

Attack Of Clones is about the opposite: a hilariously hosed relationship punctuated by brief glimmers of possible redemption.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A few pages late but how can there be an evil BB-8? Robots aren't people, they can't have inhabit a moral dimension. That's like calling Kyle Ren's lightsaber evil because it killed Han Solo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

A few pages late but how can there be an evil BB-8? Robots aren't people, they can't have inhabit a moral dimension. That's like calling Kyle Ren's lightsaber evil because it killed Han Solo.

A bit too obvious.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mantis42 posted:

Pay more attention to the droids next time you watch Star Wars.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

A bit too obvious.

Furthermore, Chewbacca doesn't get a medal because he's Han Solo's dog basically.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

NEVER FORGET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETFNSVNQqfE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I've now listened to Episode 3 of the Star Wars Radio Drama and it keeps being good. A different take on the theft of the Death Star plans, but I like to imagine the Rogue One team was instrumental in this timeline too, and since canon is meaningless no one can stop me. :)

It is weird hearing the different voice actors next to the few they got from the movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

People do pick up on that, but 'beautiful with dark undercurrents' is kind of boilerplate doomed-romance stuff.

Attack Of Clones is about the opposite: a hilariously hosed relationship punctuated by brief glimmers of possible redemption.

Eh, something can be hosed up but also beautiful. It's not like this isn't a tragedy- and one in the classical sense where people are brought down by their flaws. The Republic may have been terminally ill but it still sucked when the Stormtroopers came marching in.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh, and the ships should not have been X-Wings and TIE Fighters in TFA. All six movies show progression in military tech brought on by war, with new ships and designs every movie. Maybe a Star-Wing with six wings instead of an X-Wing?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh, and the ships should not have been X-Wings and TIE Fighters in TFA. All six movies show progression in military tech brought on by war, with new ships and designs every movie. Maybe a Star-Wing with six wings instead of an X-Wing?

Didn't they have that in the opening scene of ROTS?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

That'd be the Aggressive ReConnaissance-170 starfighter

Clearly, we need less wings, since we've gone from six to four

Next logical step would be two, correct?

Yet the two-winged Z-95 Headhunter was already in TCW, so we need either one-winged or wingless designs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly, they should just look at what 90s design was and use that as their baseline.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Barudak posted:

Honestly, they should just look at what 90s design was and use that as their baseline.

But Mon Cal ships are already covered in pouches

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
just go full cold war, it seems appropriate

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's amazing how well the Star Wars radio drama fits with the prequels. You can just feel the hate for Tattooine in Vader's voice.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Where can I get the radio dramas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hahaha, Luke says to 3PO that he'll get him something after he's refused service in the Cantina.

• Locked thread