Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NY AG says that clause is illegal and unenforceable, has told Equifax to remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Subjunctive posted:

NY AG says that clause is illegal and unenforceable, has told Equifax to remove it.

I admit to being an ignorant Canadian, but I thought I heard arbitration clauses were legal. Super glad to hear that I was wrong.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I too am Canadian, I just know what the AG tweeted!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I need a fancy badass infosec related job title for a new set of business cards, help

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Because that website doesn't actually check if you put a real username/SSN in there, it is entirely a scam to get you to waive your class action rights. This doesn't have any bearing on whether or not arbitration is legal, but I've similarly heard that the clause is unenforceable, but the important thing is that you don't use that website.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 8, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the clause was never about the breach in the first case, that's about their services

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

I need a fancy badass infosec related job title for a new set of business cards, help

what do you do

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I admit to being an ignorant Canadian, but I thought I heard arbitration clauses were legal. Super glad to hear that I was wrong.

They can be legal if done properly. This appears to just be a transparent trick to give up your right to sue them which is not allowed in any contract.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Potato Salad posted:

what do you do

My duties mostly formally align with something like "Security Architect" but that's boring I dunno I'm having a boring afternoon in general haha

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Arbitration clauses should be the most illegal thing in the world. They're robbing your right to trial at gunpoint. What good is a system of laws that's unenforceable because everything goes to kangaroo courts?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the clause was never about the breach in the first case, that's about their services

But that would require people to spend a minute or so actually reading something and/or fact checking! It's so much easier for them to just assume someone else read it and keep parroting the same garbage over and over and over again on social media and otherwise.

...I've just described a much larger problem than I intended, haven't I? :smith:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol https://twitter.com/mashable/status/906282056874942465

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:munch:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lol they're asking for the money the Equifax executives made through insider trading

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Lmbo

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lol they're asking for the money the Equifax executives made through insider trading

Nice

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Arbitration clauses should be the most illegal thing in the world. They're robbing your right to trial at gunpoint. What good is a system of laws that's unenforceable because everything goes to kangaroo courts?

Because in the mind of many Americans, anything government-run is bad, including tribunals I reckon. Private sector is the best, just look at all these great companies spending their money the right way.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Furism posted:

Yes, once you unmount it. But they won't be able to upload the diff only because, being encrypted, the differences in the files will be all over the place (whereas for unencrypted files they can just do that, to save bandwidth). So chances are your whole volume will have to be re-uploaded fully each time, so don't make it too large.

It's about 12mb. So, if I unmount after usage ( almost always will do this outta habit) I'm good?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

well why not posted:

It's about 12mb. So, if I unmount after usage ( almost always will do this outta habit) I'm good?

Yep. Just don't mount it at the same time on different computers or you'll have sync conflicts but beside that you'll be fine.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/webster/status/906346071210778625

:tif:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

These guys might make SSN+Birthday+Name as the digital master key completely worthless overnight. It would cause complete chaos but might be for the better in the long run.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I graduated this past spring with a CS degree and have been working as a "smart factory engineer" for the last six months. My role involves equal parts software development (C#/python,data warehousing), system monitoring (set up ELK nodes to monitor data output from PLCs and servers that interact with industrial equipment), and minor sysadmin stuff (mostly AD and server configuration). The company I'm with pays well, but the culture is really anti-tech and recently has been giving me some substantial reasons to start looking for a new job earlier than I would have preferred. I found an open listing for a Security Analyst position at a local utilities company that I did a year long senior project with while I was still in school, and I'm thinking of applying to it. The qualifications are listed as:

code:
BA/BS in Information Systems, Computer Science, MIS, Mathematics / related field
or + 3 years of related experience in two disciplines 
(security, technical architecture, network management, application development, system administration,
information analysis, database management or operations). 

Desired Qualifications:
 Understanding and experience with anti-virus and client disk encryption technologies 
 Understanding and experience with IDS/IPS 
 Understanding and experience with Security Information Event Management 
 Understanding and experience with proxy and URL filtering services
I obviously have the educational experience, I don't have any professional security experience but this seems like an entry level position. Any suggestions regarding stuff to prepare for a technical interview, tailoring my resume for the position, or any other considerations would be helpful.

Portland Sucks fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 9, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That sounds like a help desk role where you need to react to some lovely virus scanner kicking up alerts. Stopping PLCs turning into Stuxnet sounds more fun.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Thanks Ants posted:

That sounds like a help desk role where you need to react to some lovely virus scanner kicking up alerts. Stopping PLCs turning into Stuxnet sounds more fun.

I wish we were worried about preventing them from becoming stuxnet. Unfortunately the reality is "of course we aren't going implement domain level authentication on our servers, we can't waste time with access roles when its easier to just have a universal login/password that everyone knows and we haven't changed in 20 years because its just eaiser that way" and "windows server 2003 is much more lightweight than its successors and everyone on call knows how to use it so upgrading, patching, or modifying those servers would prevent our maintenance team from being able to respond to production issues when you are off the clock PortlandSucks"

"You don't want to be the only one who knows how to interact with all this new fangled tech." :colbert:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Three-Phase posted:

These guys might make SSN+Birthday+Name as the digital master key completely worthless overnight. It would cause complete chaos but might be for the better in the long run.

I don't think there's any "might" to it. It would definitely be better in the long run. There's like a 100 entities out there who have my SSN/Birthday/Name for legit reasons.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
you should find a position doing security engineering it sounds like, portland. if you can code you want to stay coding and definitely not working alongside a bunch of people who definitely do not write any of their own software

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JNGI1dI-e8

mewse
May 2, 2006

E: wrong thread

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What do I need to do to take care of my poo poo in light of this new breach?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Move to a country that doesn't use a single number as both the username and password to people's whole financial life.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Boris Galerkin posted:

What do I need to do to take care of my poo poo in light of this new breach?

Freeze your credit if you haven't already, and pray that TransUnion and Experian handle their pins better.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volmarias posted:

Freeze your credit if you haven't already, and pray that TransUnion and Experian handle their pins better.

Just to be clear. Make sure you freeze and not monitoring. Freezing means that if anyone tries to open an account or attempt to get a loan through your name illegitimately, they need to get that PIN to actually do it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Unless the PIN is just a timestamp lmao burn it all down

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Tamba posted:

Move to a country that doesn't use a single number as both the username and password to people's whole financial life.

*unchangeable username and password no less

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Volmarias posted:

EVIL Gibson posted:

Just to be clear. Make sure you freeze and not monitoring. Freezing means that if anyone tries to open an account or attempt to get a loan through your name illegitimately, they need to get that PIN to actually do it.

Just to be more clear you mean to do the thing here right?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

My internet boyfriend Brian Krebs did an awesome writeup explaining credit freezes, that's how I first heard about them: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/06/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-embrace-the-security-freeze/

e: Just froze my credit with all 4, I've been meaning to do it for a while and this was a good motivator. TransUnion's website makes you create an account (equifaxsucks and equifaxreallysucks were both usernames already taken, looks like traffic might be up a little bit lately!) and the site is having issues, as I got an error trying to do it online, and in my state, Experian charged $5 for the service, but Equifax and Innovis were easy to do online.

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp
https://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze/place-credit-freeze
https://www.innovis.com/securityFreeze/index
https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 10, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Be aware of that a credit freeze may interfere with your insurance company's underwriting. Like for your auto insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I've never heard of innovis. All the articles out now about freezing your credit don't mention them...