Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is Zizek running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately, no.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

quote:

9. Empower the police and military, so they can effectively protect our women and children against Jihadi terrorists.
How many islamist terrorist attacks happened in Slovenia?

It's a rhethorical question. I think I know the answer.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Seems like a pretty standard conservative. Am I missing something particularly egregious?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Why doesn't she have a last name?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

Why doesn't she have a last name?

So she is relatable aunt type.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
All the cool people only go by one name, such as Seal.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Truga posted:

This is running for president. loving :five: Translation:

Not so subtle eye-gouging UKIP color scheme

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

fatherboxx posted:

Not so subtle eye-gouging UKIP color scheme

not subtle the same way the great pyramid of giza is not subtle

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tip no. 1: Don't pick a photo where you are overshadowed by somebody who is twice your height, consequently being pushed mostly off the frame of the picture.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Truga posted:

5. Will return a boy to their grandpa and grandma (this is a long story, but the gist is, the boy didn't like being with their grandpa/grandma so social services took him away).
:what:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Truga posted:

This is running for president. loving :five: Translation:

the not so funny part is, she'll probably get a couple % of the vote

Nice to know rubbish populist conservative talking points are pretty universal around the world.

Also, :lol: at "returning what was stolen by Communist elites". That poo poo was like almost 30 years ago. If it wasn't returned with the fall of the Soviet Union and the breakup of Yugoslavia, then you never had it in the first place.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

it's ridiculously stupid and specific and owns af. there was a hullabaloo about it a few years ago, and the ~family values~ people were downright enraged over it and I can't believe it's still a thing.

Young Freud posted:

Also, :lol: at "returning what was stolen by Communist elites". That poo poo was like almost 30 years ago. If it wasn't returned with the fall of the Soviet Union and the breakup of Yugoslavia, then you never had it in the first place.

You have no loving idea, the nutcases around here are 200% certain ~are country~ was stolen from us by the communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids.

When the communist regime collapsed, they expected to suddenly get voted into office and be in control because finally! we live in a free country. When this simply doesn't want to come to pass, election after election, instead of figuring out "hey, maybe nobody likes us because we're shitheads stuck in the 16th century", they decided that no, it's still the communists preventing them from achieving their true potential. Communists, obviously, also control all the media. Never mind the loving Roman Catholic Church owning some of the bigger stations for a brief time until they quietly bailed as they were quickly falling into insolvency. :laffo:

We did have a centre-right coalition once, and it turned out real well. They spent more money in the glorious booming economy of 2004-7 than even that economy could possibly support, figuring (as everyone did then I guess) they can just pay off any debt easily at current rates of incline, but when the reality of 2007-8 finally came crashing down on them, they froze in panic and did basically nothing until the election except blame everything on everyone else and hope it'd all go away. At least we got a couple nice high profile rich people in jail over that fiasco, so at least there's that.

oh and, if anything, denationalization went too far. half the country's forests are now owned by the church or other shady moguls that are in bed with them and the wood is being cut and shipped off to austria and then gently caress knows where for probably massive profits the country will never see a tax penny of because for some arcane loving reason religious organizations aren't taxed

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
The commies really had the right idea with suppressing religion in the Balkans, it's just a shame they didn't manage to finish the job and so we have this whiplash where people are not only returning to previously existing practices but are literally inventing "rites" out of whole cloth to one up each other in displays of religiosity. This poo poo should've been stamped out.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SaltyJesus posted:

literally inventing "rites" out of whole cloth to one up each other in displays of religiosity.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

SaltyJesus posted:

The commies really had the right idea with suppressing religion in the Balkans, it's just a shame they didn't manage to finish the job and so we have this whiplash where people are not only returning to previously existing practices but are literally inventing "rites" out of whole cloth to one up each other in displays of religiosity. This poo poo should've been stamped out.
No, attempting to stamp it out inevitably results in just that. You cannot make people stop believing in their religion any more than you can beat faith into an atheist.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Elukka posted:

No, attempting to stamp it out inevitably results in just that. You cannot make people stop believing in their religion any more than you can beat faith into an atheist.

This. As a former citizen of the USSR, seeing the resurgence of largely-corrupt nationalist Orthodox Christianity in Russia has been painful but predictable. As the only semi-official opposition to Soviet power, the Orthodox church gained a ton of cultural cache and oppositional legitimacy that it was later able to parley into sleazy political power. The blowback of this type of repression is considerably worse than the alternative. You're far better off moderating religious power and making sure that religious forces simply can't influence the public discourse by accumulating too much cash and power (see Evangelicals in the US).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The gently caress are you people even saying.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

Poklonskaya is legitimately insane, unfortunately. Her weird facial expression is due to some head trauma she's suffered when arresting a local mobster, and it it probably affected not only her face. For the past several months she's been leading a campaign to ban the film Matilda that tells a story of then prince Nicholas dating a ballet dancer (an absolute historical fact). Because Nicholas II and his family are martyrs, it's somehow disrespectful to show what Nichols had been up to before his marriage, and the film should be banned according to the law protecting religious feelings. Thankfully, the court decided not to ban the movie (probably more due to the fact that it was filmed with state money), but the original claim included gems like 'the Czar is portrayed negatively in the film, because he dates a ballet dancer who wasn't very beautiful in real life'.

Hah! It's not possible to portray Nicholas II negatively, that sad sack did only one thing right: Getting shot by the Communists.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Libluini posted:

Hah! It's not possible to portray Nicholas II negatively, that sad sack did only one thing right: Getting shot by the Communists.

Yes but since Nicky was involved the process of the shooting was itself a gently caress up.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I don't know, the Czechs and the 2/3 of the Baltics managed to kick religion pretty well, I'm sure at least partly due to communism. Not that its made them particularly more liberal than other former Eastern Bloc countries

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A Pale Horse posted:

I don't know, the Czechs and the 2/3 of the Baltics managed to kick religion pretty well, I'm sure at least partly due to communism. Not that its made them particularly more liberal than other former Eastern Bloc countries

Well, I mean, yeah, when you take the churches and kill all of the clergy that tends to have a suppressive effect on religious expression.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Well, I mean, yeah, when you take the churches and kill all of the clergy that tends to have a suppressive effect on religious expression.

Well yes, if you are going to do something then do it properly.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Libluini posted:

Shooting hella cats and dogs has to count for something.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
RT will be forced to register as a foreign agent in the USA.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/business-a-lobbying/350226-russian-network-rt-must-register-as-foreign-agent-in

RT is not pleased about it.

quote:

"The war the US establishment wages with our journalists is dedicated to all the starry-eyed idealists who still believe in freedom of speech. Those who invented it, have buried it,” Margarita Simonyan, RT’s editor-in-chief, said about the registration.

RIP freedom of speech :(

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Fabulous Knight posted:

RT will be forced to register as a foreign agent in the USA.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/business-a-lobbying/350226-russian-network-rt-must-register-as-foreign-agent-in

RT is not pleased about it.

RIP freedom of speech :(

something something, Russia made Memorial ('the mothers of sons killed in wars'-organization) register as a foreign agent, something something, hypocrisy, something big speech, they started it.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

wrong thread. But anyway, about time the US made RT register as a foreign agent.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Haha, WTF they didn't have to register as a foreign agent before??

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lou Takki posted:

Haha, WTF they didn't have to register as a foreign agent before??

Why would they? :laffo:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Well, it only took one Russia-elected US president for them to register RT as foreign agent.

BTW, only Algeria and post-invasion Iraq were above Russia in comparison of countries in number of journalists killed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

BTW, only Algeria and post-invasion Iraq were above Russia in comparison of countries in number of journalists killed.
That seems odd, what about Mexico?

Anyway, RT is apparently such a might tool Poland wants one of their own.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

Russia was third in year 2006, I found a source with data from 2016.
https://cpj.org/killed/
It is lower now (7th place) and Mexico is on a same-ish level. But it depends if you filter it by unsolved murders or missing journalists etc. From the site:

quote:

in nearly 90 percent of murders of journalists in Russia, no one is convicted

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 13, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

anilEhilated posted:

Anyway, RT is apparently such a might tool Poland wants one of their own.

From the policies the average polish voter supports and what polish leaders are all yelling about they'd all be living in their perfect social political paradise if they petitioned to join Russia. If they could put aside their hatred of Russia for a second they'd realize they want an identical ultra-conservative dictatorship aided by fantastically rich and corrupt priests. They just disagree on the flag and which hats their priests should wear.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Why is mexico so high? Cartels?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Truga posted:

Why is mexico so high? Cartels?

Yeah it's super bad. You report on anything the cartels or a cartel owned politician or a cartel owned police department or a cartel owned military unit doesn't want you reporting on, and they finding you in a mass grave a few months later.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This war on drugs thing is going really well :smith:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Truga posted:

This war on drugs thing is going really well :smith:

It's working exactly as intended, yes.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The Russians at least have the decency to shoot or poison or bomb you to death, the cartles will torture you for hours before hacking your limbs off and hanging your naked torso from a bridge. Dudes are seriously almost ISIS levels of depraved monsters.

Also lmao at Poland Today. Our pathetic leadership has such apparent delusions of grandeur I'm beginning to think they actually buy into their own Poland strong bullshit. Lmao PiS no one outside of Poland, London and Chicago gives the slightest gently caress about this country unless we're actively annoying them (like currently the Germans). No one's interested in our opinion, get over it.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

A Pale Horse posted:

On the other hand, Estonia seems to have no shortage of people believing in magic rocks or aliens. One goes away, something else takes the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

There's a conspiracy theory that the east bloc governments were actively pushing ufos, psychic powers, etc. to drag people away from the church.