Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Eshettar posted:

Been there, see it, bought the t-shirt. Well...not so much that last part but if they were selling shirts, I definitely would have picked one up. Despite my reservations upon hearing that Beverly gets kidnapped and used as bait for the other Losers, I am soooo ready for Chapter Two to come out! Ohhhh yeeeeah, this rocked!

Quick question: did Pennywise's larder consist of levitating corpses in the book? Admittedly, it's been a while since I read the book but I could have sworn that the whole "They all float down here!" line which keeps popping up is a reference to how the left-over remains of his victims are left floating in the abandoned sewer tunnels.

In the book there were some corpses, and at least one live person, wrapped up in webbing in IT's lair, but they were never described as floating. The floating was always just corpses in the sewer water, or broken minds floating in the deadlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I mean yeah, you're gonna have to take some of these visuals as surreal metaphor. Those aren't actual corpses, just the representation of bodies as the empty husks stuck in that spider's web.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Our DCP was hosed up at the part where the gang went in the house to rescue Beverly.

Can someone tell me what happened after that?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Pingiivi posted:

Our DCP was hosed up at the part where the gang went in the house to rescue Beverly.

Well I hope you got refunds on your tickets so you can go again. It's such a great Act 3.

I was going to spoilerblock all the stuff, but I was like at item #13 or #14 and still nowhere near the end and I said gently caress it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Literally every complaint about this film is exactly the same as in Mama - the monster as such is as much a character as any of the people in it, there's no clear demarcation as to what is real and what isn't (the film is too blatantly surreal), the kids are TOO likeable, etc. Bodes well for part 2.

one of the problems of the movie is the monster isn't much of a character (in comparison to the book).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Groovelord Neato posted:

one of the problems of the movie is the monster isn't much of a character (in comparison to the book).

To be fair though, everyone is more of a character in the book. It's 1400 pages

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

The monster is simply a succinct character in the film because a filmmaker must characterize him visually, exactly as in Mama. His characterization is dependent on who he appears to, see: the very odd appearance of Ed's mother, note what is on the TV when we see Beverly come home the first time (a home that looks like a labyrinthine sewer), the still figures surrounding Ben...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Disgusting Coward posted:

Although I was beyond done with LOUDMUSICLOUDMUSIC scarymonster BLARGHLEELEAHAHAHAHCLOWNRUN by the end, I agree that Pennywise's physicality and movement were really well done. I especially liked how it always left the scene by kinda...retracting. Like, eyes blanked, body inert, sliding away backwards. Put me in mind of a fisherman's lure being reeled in.

Yeah, I know it tends to get overused in horror films lately, but the tracking on his face while Pennywise dances for Bev is great. Just the way his head stays perfectly still while everything else in the frame descends into inarticulate madness.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The monster is simply a succinct character in the film because a filmmaker must characterize him visually

films are not silent nowadays.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I know it tends to get overused in horror films lately, but the tracking on his face while Pennywise dances for Bev is great. Just the way his head stays perfectly still while everything else in the frame descends into inarticulate madness.

it does that a few times when it's chasing them. i've never seen it in a horror film, only stabilized gifs. thought it was neato.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 9, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I can safely say I would not have wanted Pennywise to be more of a character in this movie.

I wouldn't have minded some more of the imagination-based fighting against Pennywise, but it also would make sense if they're saving the bulk of that stuff for the sequel. Kinda has more of an impact if the adults have to revert to childlike behavior when they fight It again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's sound in those parts, they use it pretty effectively, too!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I can safely say I would not have wanted Pennywise to be more of a character in this movie.

He couldn't be more of a character, he's all over the film. One of the bullies is designed to resemble him. They can't even escape in books or in TV or looking at old photos. Giving him more lines would probably be stupid, I agree.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They used a lot of restraint, which was the best way to have done it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ahahaha

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I liked the implication that their beliefs are what give them power. Mike shouting at Bill that the air hammer wasn't loaded, but Bill still fired it and it wounded Pennywise a bit still.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
IT made $51 million on Friday.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-it-movie-stephen-king-1202552701/

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Medullah posted:

I liked the implication that their beliefs are what give them power. Mike shouting at Bill that the air hammer wasn't loaded, but Bill still fired it and it wounded Pennywise a bit still.

well yeah the inhaler wasnt battery acid either

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ridiculous.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pingiivi posted:

My new favorite one-liner happened.

Real answer: the kids climb down the well with Mike holding the rope. Then Henry Bowers attacks and almost kills him until Mike knocks him down the well. That's the last we see of Henry. Mike then climbs down to join the rest.

Bev reveals to Pennywise that she doesn't fear him and it annoys him. Instead, he opens his mouth to reveal some lights that put her in a trance and cause her to float in the air. Coincidentally, Pennywise's lair is filled with corpses floating in the air. Later, the others find Bev and Ben tries to wake her up via kissing her. That actually works and she realizes he wrote the love poem.

In the form of the painting woman, Pennywise comes very, very close to eating Stan's head and although he's driven off, Stan is mentally hosed up and pissed off about it. As others try to help him, Bill wanders off and meets with "Georgie." They have a conversation and Bill finally accepts Georgie's death, as their meeting is a lure so he can use one of those sheep-killing guns on Georgie's head. Georgie turns into Pennywise and Bill fires at him again. Mike knows that the gun isn't loaded anymore, but for a brief moment, Pennywise's forehead caves in anyway. Then the kids pick up weapons and fight Pennywise to a relative standstill. His attempts to scare them individually don't work because there's still six others who can dogpile him.

Finally, he grabs Bill and makes an offer: he can eat them all or he could just eat Bill, hibernate and the rest will go on to live their lives. Finn goes on a huge rant about how this is all Bill's fault and runs down all the horrible stuff Bill put them through, seemingly agreeing to Pennywise's terms, until picking up a baseball bat and saying, "and now I'm gonna kill this loving clown." The kids dogpile on him once again and Bev deliveres the last major blow. Pennywise crawls into a hole and crumbles apart.

Afterwards, we see it's September. The seven do a blood pact to destroy Pennywise if he ever returns, then go their separate ways. Bev is leaving town the next day. Bill kisses her before she leaves. Before the credits role, the screen says "IT: Chapter One."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Medullah posted:

Yeah I feel like that was their way of teasing the idea and they'll go into it more in the sequel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I feel like that was their way of teasing the idea and they'll go into it more in the sequel.

I also agree that it would work much better with the adults doing it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

One concern I have for the sequel is that the kids know objectively that to fight it you just stop being afraid and kick its loving rear end

Obviously in the book this is explained away by the adults having lost their memories. But in the book, the reader becomes aware of the memory at the same time as the characters

In the next movie, if the characters forget how to beat It, the audience is gonna be sitting around for two hours waiting for the characters to figure out something the audience already knows.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Odeon's handing these out, by the way. Pretty cool.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
how much bike riding is there in the film

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tired Moritz posted:

how much bike riding is there in the film

Instead of establishing shots there are bike riding scenes.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why we got two shots hammering home that Bill was riding Silver honestly

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

glad it's making mad money cuz it'd suck if they didn't do the next one. i wanna see how they do its true form.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

You think it’s going to make almost $700 million?

That seems really unlikely. I think it’ll be the biggest horror movie since the Sixth Sense, but that’s not especially difficult since most horror movies tap out at $100 million.

Also, holy gently caress, $700 million, Sixth Sense was a goddamn phenomenon.

By the way, this is tracking on part with the first Hobbit Movie and POTC: At World's End, both of which made around a billion worldwide. I think this has the potential to be an insanely big movie.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Saw it. Loved IT.

I wish they hadn't given all of Mike's thunder to Ben. Otherwise it was great. I also liked the bit where Bev discovers Ben's poster.

I can totally understand Stan committing suicide.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Having slept on it, I can safely say this was a terrible horror film and an excellent children's adventure movie in the vein of The Goonies, The Lost Boys and Indiana Jones. You know, back when kids would gleefully watch violent movies and buy action figures from Predator and Terminator, and Freddy Kreuger had a TV show.

The horror was exceptionally one-note. Long quiet, loud appearance, monster runs at the camera. The big problem here is you, the audience, are always a step ahead of the film and while you jump at loud noises through sheer reflex, you can always brace yourself mentally. "It's quiet, what's going to show up? Okay, that's our monster for the scene, it's going to rush me." The one exception I can think of was Ben flipping through the book about the Easter disaster. You know the book is zoning in on something, but you only see branches. You start looking for a monster. When it settles on the image, it takes you a few seconds to realize you were looking for a monster while staring at a dead boy's head. It doesn't open it's eyes or rush you, it was simply there all along and you didn't see it. While the way it played out wasn't in the book, there was mention of a woman finding it in her tree some days after the event. I thought that scene really captured what must've been her reaction very well and it served as a good horror moment: The movie was ahead of you far longer than you realized.

So I'll recommend this as a children's adventure movie. Go into it expecting a children's adventure movie. You'll enjoy it that way. It was loud, it was fun, the kids were good actors with good chemistry (though Bill's dad seemed... not good?), Richie was actually humorous rather than a collection of obnoxious impressions like in the book, there are some nice set pieces and visuals and my audience laughed a ton. I even got the elusive clapping theater audience! First time!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"I had to brace myself for the scary parts. 1 out of 10."

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I don't know why I thought this but I thought it was going to be more of a redo of "It" then an adaptation because I wasn't expecting there to be a continuation, that it was going to end with them as kids. Definitely my favorite scene was the thing in the kitchen when Pennywise comes out of the fridge and does his terrifying clown strut in beat to the pounding music. The whole sequence in the house was tense leading up to that point but despite the build up he doesn't get to do anything with that momentum he just scares the kid then runs away. I think that sums up my feelings to the whole movie. The new Pennywise is a pretty powerful character disturbing, menacing, terrifying, monstrous, yet in the end no matter how scary he is that's all he gets to do because it's an adaptation and there's going to be a sequel as well. When he shows up and scares the poo poo out of everyone but then retreats over and over it just sucks all the air out of the room.

The new "It" surpassed the original in a lot of ways I wish they could have just run with that and maybe committed to making it more of a horror movie for adults and less of a kids coming of age fighting their fears kinda thing. Speaking of which, there were a lot of kids in the theater. I was sitting next to a family who looked like they had a six year old and an 8-10 year old and seriously what the hell are these people thinking. I mean maybe the scary bits and bloody bits I can understand but there was too much colorful language for kids that young. It was a really really loving dirty movie.

The other favorite thing of mine was at the beginning when he's talking to Georgie and drooling the whole time I thought that was a really cool touch.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I read a critic who described the movie as not so much scary as much as it is intense and I think that is the best description

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The lack of on-screen kills, specifically Belch and Criss really made IT a bit less menacing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

KaptainKrunk posted:

The lack of on-screen kills, specifically Belch and Criss really made IT a bit less menacing.

I feel like ripping the arm off a child in the first five minutes kinda made it unnecessary

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, the film never hits a level of horror higher than the opening, but holy poo poo did that opening work.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Karloff posted:

Yeah, the film never hits a level of horror higher than the opening, but holy poo poo did that opening work.

Comparing the scene to the tv movie I realized that Tim Curry played It as an adult while Skaarsgard played him a lot like a kid. The new IT feels like a peer to the kids.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I was a step ahead of the movie the entire time with the exception of one scene, and I imagine that true for anyone who's watched a bit of the genre. That is a problem in terms of horror. If you want a good recent example of horror, look at the first half of Insidious. Everything has your mind panicking to catch up or scrambling to understand "Did I really just see that?" The unknown is the core of fear. Having a firm grasp of the scene, knowing, spoils that.

Like I said, it's an exceptional 80's children's adventure movie.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

I read OP as saying 'it was bad as a horror film because the scares were mostly jump-scares that were massively telegraphed'. Are you saying that's an inaccurate description of the film, or that it's not a valid criticism?

A reviewer I trust said pretty much exactly what Das Boo said...it's not a scary film, but if you go in expecting Stand by Me/The Goonies but with spooky stuff you'll enjoy it. Is that pretty accurate?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish scare chords were illegal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I was a step ahead of the movie the entire time with the exception of one scene, and I imagine that true for anyone who's watched a bit of the genre. That is a problem in terms of horror. If you want a good recent example of horror, look at the first half of Insidious. Everything has your mind panicking to catch up or scrambling to understand "Did I really just see that?" The unknown is the core of fear. Having a firm grasp of the scene, knowing, spoils that.

Like I said, it's an exceptional 80's children's adventure movie.

I am honestly at a bit of a loss what horror movie this doesn't apply to. I'm not trying to judge your criticism but "I could anticipate what was coming" is something I can say about almost every horror movie I've seen except for when I was young because beyond a certain point you learn to read the language. I didn't at all have the response to Insidious that you did for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

toiletbrush posted:

I read OP as saying 'it was bad as a horror film because the scares were mostly jump-scares that were massively telegraphed'. Are you saying that's an inaccurate description of the film, or that it's not a valid criticism?

I thought there were very few jump scares and the whole sense of dread comes from the fact that you as the audience are expecting shock at every moment of slow tension.

Like the only jump scare is maybe the coffin

• Locked thread