Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can dream, OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
lmao gotta give mad props to Palmer for somehow lasting in F1 this long, even more hilarious that Renault could tell him to gently caress off as early as Malaysia.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

You mean Honda buying the entire team?

They were propping up like half of McLaren so...maybe?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

lmao gotta give mad props to Palmer for somehow lasting in F1 this long, even more hilarious that Renault could tell him to gently caress off as early as Malaysia.

He's looked particularly bad this year.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Palmer is poo poo. Replace with Bobby K or Pastor M

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Wirth1000 posted:

Bonus video of like a $20mil+ Ferrari getting smashed into the wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p--8DXM123E

He can afford it. It's owned by Anthony Bamford who is worth around £3billion and owns JCB

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

He's looked particularly bad this year.

I love that he tries to make that his gimmick, that he slowly gets better over time (a la GP2) and always does better in the second half of the season. Unfortunately for Our Jolyon, by the time he gets his head out of his rear end he's already so far out of contention that he is an irrelevance.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Spirit Honda F1 racing returning in 2018 :discourse:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Norns posted:

Palmer is poo poo. Replace with Bobby K or Pastor M

Uh.. bad news

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

You mean Honda buying the entire team?

yup

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Honda needs to gently caress right off.

But if it robs Red Bull of their B-team then go ahead. Too bad Honda will pull a Honda and gently caress off in 2021 citing how the new engine regulations don't line up with their corporate vision or whatever bullshit.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

NtotheTC posted:

Oh yeah... for some reason I always associate Renault with that fuckwit frenchman... ok well then No Bobby K at all then cos they'd be mad to drop Hulk for that risk.

It's cool man, F1 has been so boring that updates like a driver being gone for 2 years can slip thru. I don't know any of the bottom half of the field because the pre-race coverage is just slightly more boring than the races.

Thank god Liberty started those highlights on youtube or I wouldn't be an F1 fan this year.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Per Alonso curse Honda will pull an '88 next year. Congratulations Toro Rosso

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

DoctorGonzo posted:

Per Alonso curse Honda will pull an '88 next year. Congratulations Toro Rosso

I'm trying to think, were there any seasons where an engine which was very poor the previous year, went onto win the title the year after? My first thought was the 2004/5 Renaults, but their 2004 engine was a good move from the wide angle 2003

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqro5pBd114

Hell of an onboard.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I'm trying to think, were there any seasons where an engine which was very poor the previous year, went onto win the title the year after? My first thought was the 2004/5 Renaults, but their 2004 engine was a good move from the wide angle 2003

Honda was pretty miserable up until midway through 85 then was a championship winning car in 86. But that engine was nowhere near as bad as the current one.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Honda was pretty miserable up until midway through 85 then was a championship winning car in 86. But that engine was nowhere near as bad as the current one.

Their engine prior to '85 was at least capable of winning races. So I can't really think of an example.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
McLaren are making a stupid mistake.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think it's necessarily a bad move.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

But if it robs Red Bull of their B-team then go ahead.

That alone is worth celebrating.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Mercedes' return with McLaren started poorly, though the 1995 McLaren was just a total disaster that nothing could fix. The 1996 McLaren wasn't that much better, but by 1997 it was a race winner, even if it also blew up all the time. Of course it was the best car on the grid in '98.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Almost like if Honda at the very least offered a clear linear path of improvement this would all be immensely more bearable.

But lol

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Toro Rosso, the team I hate to love (because of their owners) being powered by Honda, the company I love to hate.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

This is such a dumb move for McLaren. I'll going to laugh so much if/when Honda sort their poo poo out and RB picks them up for their main team too. RB/TR wouldn't have agreed to this unless they saw good potential in the engine.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My favorite bad 90s F1 engine was the Peugeot, which was a total disaster that nobody could make work, except, inexplicably, Eddie Jordan. The '97 Jordan actually kicked rear end and could have won in Hockenheim if Fisichella didn't have a late tire failure. Then Prost got the engine in '98 and it immediately started sucking rear end again

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That yellow snake livery always makes me think of corn

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Almost like if Honda at the very least offered a clear linear path of improvement this would all be immensely more bearable.

But lol

Even Tag Huer :q: have continually improved but are unfortunately playing catch up to merc and ferrari

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

My favorite bad 90s F1 engine was the Peugeot, which was a total disaster that nobody could make work, except, inexplicably, Eddie Jordan. The '97 Jordan actually kicked rear end and could have won in Hockenheim if Fisichella didn't have a late tire failure. Then Prost got the engine in '98 and it immediately started sucking rear end again

That's an attractive car.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I loved the 1997 grid, and I still think the narrower cars in 1998 looked like total poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Shimrod posted:

This is such a dumb move for McLaren. I'll going to laugh so much if/when Honda sort their poo poo out and RB picks them up for their main team too. RB/TR wouldn't have agreed to this unless they saw good potential in the engine.

They don’t have to see good potential. There’s literally no risk for Red Bull.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Shimrod posted:

There have to be bean counters at Honda with ultimatums on the horizon. They can't deal with this bad press indefinitely.

I'd feel pretty bad for the staff at STR if they became a factory Honda team and then all funding was withdrawn at the end of 2018 if they have a disastrous season.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The '97 cars finally got the high-nose look right. Then we got the rolling abortions of 1998. The '98 cars were so ugly and it made Gerhard Berger retire.

Other lovely 90s engine; the Yamahahaha, although I do like the Tyrrell 022 a lot.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I loved the 1997 grid, and I still think the narrower cars in 1998 looked like total poo poo.

The M197 probably could have got points if it didn't have that horrendous Hart V8.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Whitey Ford posted:

There have to be bean counters at Honda with ultimatums on the horizon. They can't deal with this bad press indefinitely.

I'd feel pretty bad for the staff at STR if they became a factory Honda team and then all funding was withdrawn at the end of 2018 if they have a disastrous season.

It's why they finally went to outside consultants. Just let Ilmor design the bloody engines and slap your name on them and maintain them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Yamaha was terrible though the Arrows did have some good performances in 97. Then again, it also looked totally uncompetitive at other tracks and the famous race they nearly won was at the Hungaroring, which is nobody's idea of a power circuit.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hill to Arrows is probably one of the strangest moves I've seen a defending world champion make. Part of the A18s competitiveness came from the fact it was on Bridgestones.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah, even in 1984 it was good for a 1st and a 2nd. They're not even in that county right now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Hill to Arrows is probably one of the strangest moves I've seen a defending world champion make. Part of the A18s competitiveness came from the fact it was on Bridgestones.

He had no choice. It was either that or retire.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC he had talks with McLaren to replace Hakkinen (!) but McLaren would only agree to a performance-based deal which he considered insulting for a defending WDC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

He had no choice. It was either that or retire.

Couldn’t he have stayed at Williams? I thought he was just demanding more money.

• Locked thread