Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I think their definition of "left" requires some explanation.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Just when you thought it was safe to go back to Toronto.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ford-nation-is-back-doug-ford-to-run-for-mayor-of-toronto-in-2018-1.3581963 posted:

Former city councillor Doug Ford officially announced he will be running for mayor of Toronto in 2018.

Ford made the highly publicized announcement on Friday evening at his family’s 23rd annual “Ford Fest,” hosted at his mother’s house in Etobicoke.

It's been just long enough that the poo poo show of the Rob Ford years has worn off that Doug Ford is taking another crack at it. This time, he's serious.

quote:

“I’m here to continue on Rob’s legacy,” Ford said. “Rob is looking down from heaven with that big smile on his face as each and every one of you has seen many of times.”

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/906308486233026561

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

He's got at least a couple outs a) the replication crisis b) expanding the subhuman group as required.

Isn't unconscious "like me" bias more class specific than race specific, anyway?

No, he has no outs. The resume study is one people actually do replicate fairly often (partly because it's very easy to do so), or they use the same methodology to test different aspects of racial discrimination. It's also entirely race-based because it tends to use identical resumes but with changed names (i.e. Lakisha versus Jennifer), and often includes additional steps to make sure the discrimination isn't class based, like using both "high-class" and "low-class" resumes in the study, or doing a photograph study where you have a third photo that's white but with signs of lower-class whiteness, like a wrist tattoo.

Here's a study from 2004:

quote:

We study race in the labor market by sending fictitious resumes to help-wanted ads in
Boston and Chicago newspapers. To manipulate perceived race, resumes are randomly assigned
African American or White sounding names. White names receive 50 percent more callbacks
for interviews. Callbacks are also more responsive to resume quality for White names than for
African American ones. The racial gap is uniform across occupation, industry, and employer size.
We also find little evidence that employers are inferring social class from the names. Differential
treatment by race still appears to still be prominent in the U.S. labor market.

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/sendhil/files/are_emily_and_greg_more_employable_than_lakisha_and_jamal.pdf

Here's a study from last year:

quote:

During the two-year study, which was published in the Administrative Science Quarterly Journal, Kang and her colleagues sent out 1,600 fabricated resumes, based off of real candidates, to employers in 16 different metropolitan areas in the US. Some resumes were left as is, whereas others were “whitened”.

While 25.5% of resumes received callbacks if African American candidates’ names were “whitened”, only 10% received a callback if they left their name and experience unaltered. For Asian applicants, 21% heard back if they changed their resume, and only 11.5% of candidates did if their resumes were not “whitened”.

[...]

The researchers also interviewed 59 Asian and African American candidates between the ages of 18 and 25. Thirty-six percent said they “whiten” their resumes, and two-thirds reported knowing someone who does.

“Most studies that have examined racial discrimination in hiring have focused on the employer side,” Kang said. “We focused on the job-seeker side too, and found that minorities aren’t just passive recipients of discrimination, they’re actively trying to do something about this.”

The two groups profiled tended to use different techniques in order to disguise their ethnicities. Asian applicants were more likely to change their names or use a middle name instead of their first name; African American interviewees tended to exclude race-focused organizations and awards.

“We interviewed one student who had an extremely prestigious merit-based scholarship which was open only to applicants of a particular racial group,” Kang said. “He chose to leave that excellent achievement off of his resume because he knew it would give away his race.”

She added: “Some people have found that whitening helps but I think that the larger message is that it shouldn’t be up to minorities to find ways to avoid discrimination.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/17/jobs-search-hiring-racial-discrimination-resume-whitening-callbacks

Here's a 2010 study that looked at a different but related phenomenon:

quote:

We examine the effect of race on market outcomes by selling iPods through local online classified advertisements throughout the United States in a year-long field experiment. Each ad features a photograph of the product being held by a dark- or light-skinned ("black" or "white") hand. To provide context, we also consider a group of sellers against whom buyers might statistically discriminate for similar reasons: white sellers with wrist tattoos. Black sellers do worse than white sellers on a variety of market outcome measures: they receive 13% fewer responses and 17% fewer offers. These effects are strongest in the Northeast, and are similar in magnitude to those associated with the display of a wrist tattoo. Conditional on receiving at least one offer, black sellers also receive 2-4% lower offers, despite the self-selected--and presumably less biased--pool of buyers. In addition, buyers corresponding with black sellers exhibit lower trust: they are 17% less likely to include their name in e-mails, 44% less likely to accept delivery by mail, and 56% more likely to express concern about making a long-distance payment.

We find evidence that black sellers suffer particularly poor outcomes in thin markets; it appears that discrimination may not "survive" in the presence of significant competition among buyers. Furthermore, black sellers do worst in the most racially isolated markets and markets with high property crime rates, suggesting a role for statistical discrimination in explaining the disparity.

http://siepr.stanford.edu/research/publications/visible-hand-race-and-online-market-outcomes

And here's a handy summary of some other related research by one of the authors of the original 2004 study:

quote:

Other studies have also examined race and employment. In a 2009 study, Devah Pager, Bruce Western and Bart Bonikowski, all now sociologists at Harvard, sent actual people to apply for low-wage jobs. They were given identical résumés and similar interview training. Their sobering finding was that African-American applicants with no criminal record were offered jobs at a rate as low as white applicants who had criminal records.

These kinds of methods have been used in a variety of research, especially in the last 20 years. Here are just some of the general findings:

■ When doctors were shown patient histories and asked to make judgments about heart disease, they were much less likely to recommend cardiac catheterization (a helpful procedure) to black patients — even when their medical files were statistically identical to those of white patients.

■ When whites and blacks were sent to bargain for a used car, blacks were offered initial prices roughly $700 higher, and they received far smaller concessions.

■ Several studies found that sending emails with stereotypically black names in response to apartment-rental ads on Craigslist elicited fewer responses than sending ones with white names. A regularly repeated study by the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development sent African-Americans and whites to look at apartments and found that African-Americans were shown fewer apartments to rent and houses for sale.

■ White state legislators were found to be less likely to respond to constituents with African-American names. This was true of legislators in both political parties.

■ Emails sent to faculty members at universities, asking to talk about research opportunities, were more likely to get a reply if a stereotypically white name was used.

■ Even eBay auctions were not immune. When iPods were auctioned on eBay, researchers randomly varied the skin color on the hand holding the iPod. A white hand holding the iPod received 21 percent more offers than a black hand.

[...]

But this widespread discrimination is not necessarily a sign of widespread conscious prejudice.

When our own résumé study came out, many human-resources managers told us they were stunned. They prized creating diversity in their companies, yet here was evidence that they were doing anything but. How was that possible?

To use the language of the psychologist Daniel Kahneman, we think both fast and slow. When deciding what iPod to buy or which résumé to pursue, we weigh a few factors deliberately (“slow”). But for hundreds of other factors, we must rely on intuitive judgment — and we weigh these unconsciously (“fast”).

Even if, in our slow thinking, we work to avoid discrimination, it can easily creep into our fast thinking. Our snap judgments rely on all the associations we have — from fictional television shows to news reports. They use stereotypes, both the accurate and the inaccurate, both those we would want to use and ones we find repulsive.

We can’t articulate why one seller’s iPod photograph looks better; dozens of factors shape this snap judgment — and we might often be distraught to realize some of them. If we could make a slower, deliberate judgment we would use some of these factors (such as the quality of the photo), but ignore others (such as the color of the hand holding the iPod). But many factors escape our consciousness.

This kind of discrimination — crisply articulated in a 1995 article by the psychologists Mahzarin Banaji of Harvard and Anthony Greenwald of the University of Washington — has been studied by dozens of researchers who have documented implicit bias outside of our awareness.

The key to “fast thinking” discrimination is that we all share it. Good intentions do not guarantee immunity. One study published in 2007 asked subjects in a video-game simulation to shoot at people who were holding a gun. (Some were criminals; some were innocent bystanders.) African-Americans were shot at a higher rate, even those who were not holding guns.

Ugly pockets of conscious bigotry remain in this country, but most discrimination is more insidious. The urge to find and call out the bigot is powerful, and doing so is satisfying. But it is also a way to let ourselves off the hook. Rather than point fingers outward, we should look inward — and examine how, despite best intentions, we discriminate in ways big and small.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/upshot/the-measuring-sticks-of-racial-bias-.html?mcubz=3

Conrad Black is an idiot who mistakes "people don't consciously discriminate" for "racial discrimination doesn't exist".

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The last time I was hiring I was desperate to find any candidates that actually had stem degrees from universities. Not daycares like Douglas college university or whatever

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 25, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, why don't qualified people want bosses like namaste faggots or James Baud? That's a real fuckin' headscratcher, that is...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Leofish posted:

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to Toronto.

It's been just long enough that the poo poo show of the Rob Ford years has worn off that Doug Ford is taking another crack at it. This time, he's serious.

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/906308486233026561

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/906367101484531714

Long form investigative journalism into major worker safety issues? gently caress no! This cretinous poo poo-gibbon has an announcement to make! Clear everything above the fold!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How long has it been since any male member of the Ford family was able to see their own dick without the aid of a mirror? Do they consume mayonnaise straight from the goddamn jar or what?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Goddamn, that Star article on temp agency work in a dangerous bakery of all places is depressing. Go read it if you haven't already and don't waste your time with another Conrad Black column ever again:

http://projects.thestar.com/temp-employment-agencies/index.html

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

I hire a few times a year and when I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've only interviewed one white Canadian in the last five years. He was a "no way" from Brock, or somewhere like that.

Hard to relate to having the luxury of throwing resumes out instead of trying to dig up gold where it probably isn't.

Re: replication, I had come across this contradictory reference last night, which could be an outlier itself (Chloe? Seriously?) but I think the publication bias lies toward juicier results.

Yeah I saw that counter-study too but I think it's pretty flawed and the criticisms expressed in the Tribune article are accurate (ie they used really white first names like Chloe and Ryan, and relied entirely on the respondents' knowledge of black and white last names, which is not necessarily common knowledge.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

eXXon posted:

Goddamn, that Star article on temp agency work in a dangerous bakery of all places is depressing. Go read it if you haven't already and don't waste your time with another Conrad Black column ever again:

It's crazy that the government is basically ok with a place like this existing. It should be shut down immediately.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

RBC posted:

It's crazy that the government is basically ok with a place like this existing. It should be shut down immediately.

And put all those people on EI? You monster

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RBC posted:

Don't be dumb, how else are we going to get cheap pastries, exactly? Genuine worker safety would decrease productivity by like 10% or something. It's way more important to get cheap fast labor than it is to have safe workers, welcome to the whole world post-1981 or so.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

And put all those people on EI? You monster

actually none of them would be able to collect ei, they don't have paystubs or records of employment

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There's some real gold in there, like how StatsCan stopped tracking temp jobs a decade ago. I wonder why that was.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/cbcpolitics/status/906523487623401472

Seriously gently caress rurals

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

You know we can probably get a bot to do your posting for you CI

E: gently caress Scheer though, if family farms go it will be a natural social consequence (although putting a country's food generation into fewer and fewer hands seems a little dangerous and I think that's where we're headed)

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 9, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao Scheer has the creepiest most hosed up face I've seen on a politician in quite some time

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

eXXon posted:

I was hoping to post this article earlier today because I think it's worth relating back to an exchange from a week or two ago. The basic question for a viable left hinges on whether people in situations like this can get organized enough to politicize their working conditions. Just look at the coordinated and angry response that the Liberals are facing because of their latest tax policy. There needs to be a countervailing pressure coming from currently disorganized interest groups - renters, wage earners, etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It seems like the issue is partially the significant disparity in funds available for these advocacy groups to engage in "government relations", and retain top talent in PR with the necessary connections to the press.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Helsing posted:

I was hoping to post this article earlier today because I think it's worth relating back to an exchange from a week or two ago. The basic question for a viable left hinges on whether people in situations like this can get organized enough to politicize their working conditions. Just look at the coordinated and angry response that the Liberals are facing because of their latest tax policy. There needs to be a countervailing pressure coming from currently disorganized interest groups - renters, wage earners, etc.

In this specific case the employer has organized their workplace such that the employees are basically incapable of fighting back, by using shell temp agencies and removing the paper trail of employement. It would be up to an effective outside campaign to improve these workers conditions by bringing pressure to the government to take action and mobilizing unions like ufcw. That hopefully will occur now with some good investigative journalism.

I think it's a very good example of how the government is not effective at enforcing labour standards at all. IE for everyone that says "we don't need unions anymore, we have labour standards!" Well, look how that's worked out at Fiera Foods. They've been able to ignore even the most fundamental safety rules while killing people with barely a slap on the wrist. $150,000 fine for a worker dying under your watch? That's less than the CEO paid for his car. It's pathetic.

The only way conditions at this business will change would be for the ministry to issue a stop work order - which they should do immediately - and bust up the temp agencies. That would allow a successful union drive among the permanent employees to proceed. Otherwise, as soon as the ufcw or some other union comes into the workplace, those few permanent employees are going to go bye bye and be replaced with temps.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Guillotines are P cheap. Failing that we have all these lamp posts and lots of rope

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Yeah none of those groups have enough money to afford to be able to have the free time to organize worth poo poo. These people live in a world in which they have no willpower or money leftover at the end of the day to try to make a difference, as well as the inherent knowledge that if they were to ever try they'd certainly end up homeless and likely dead or in prison. The entire system is set up to suppress the organization of a viable left wing, and not until we get back to the depravity of the early 20th century in the way that workers were treated do I see there ever being any chance of getting people angry and hopeless enough to really risk their lives by fighting for their rights. People died for the 40-hour work week. They died for the right to unionize. They died for the invention of the weekend. We will never see true progress again without a similar struggle.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

infernal machines posted:

It seems like the issue is partially the significant disparity in funds available for these advocacy groups to engage in "government relations", and retain top talent in PR with the necessary connections to the press.

That's why the strength of the left has always been to organize labour and to leverage the unique advantages that workers have over the system of production that relies upon them to function. It only takes a relatively small part of the labour force within key choke-points to bring the economy grinding to a halt. This is why the important task for the left is building solidarity rather than trying to win over middle class professionals who may sympathize with workers (and who may even fear that their children will be squeezed out of the middle class going forward) but who nevertheless have economic interests that inevitably bias them against any kind of substantive political reforms.

ChairMaster posted:

Yeah none of those groups have enough money to afford to be able to have the free time to organize worth poo poo. These people live in a world in which they have no willpower or money leftover at the end of the day to try to make a difference, as well as the inherent knowledge that if they were to ever try they'd certainly end up homeless and likely dead or in prison. The entire system is set up to suppress the organization of a viable left wing, and not until we get back to the depravity of the early 20th century in the way that workers were treated do I see there ever being any chance of getting people angry and hopeless enough to really risk their lives by fighting for their rights. People died for the 40-hour work week. They died for the right to unionize. They died for the invention of the weekend. We will never see true progress again without a similar struggle.

I guess my point is that the "depravity of the early 20th century" is closer at hand than we think.

Basically:

namaste faggots posted:

Guillotines are P cheap. Failing that we have all these lamp posts and lots of rope

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Anecdotally, I was at a meeting of the executive board of a local union, one of the committee chairs submitted an expense for an UberX ride and spent the subsequent half-hour getting dressed down by every other member of the board.

It was surprisingly cathartic.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's wrong of me to imply that the conditions of the early 20th century aren't coming back, The people in that factory are already living it. The problem is largely that those people can still be swept under the rug, just as we saw that story buried beneath an announcement of some rear end in a top hat running for mayor. The media is so strongly in bed with the status quo that you would have to have the majority of people in general living under those same circumstances for there to ever be any hope of positive change, and most likely that's not going to happen. We're going to exist in the same continual debt-fueled mediocrity until they day the country is destroyed by millions of climate refugees. The underclasses of people who don't matter will never see justice or safety or even simple dignity in their daily lives, they will live in hardship and poverty until their physical bodies can no longer maintain productivity, and they are discarded to die in the streets at the age of 45 or so.

Oh well!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

It's wrong of me to imply that the conditions of the early 20th century aren't coming back, The people in that factory are already living it. The problem is largely that those people can still be swept under the rug, just as we saw that story buried beneath an announcement of some rear end in a top hat running for mayor. The media is so strongly in bed with the status quo that you would have to have the majority of people in general living under those same circumstances for there to ever be any hope of positive change, and most likely that's not going to happen. We're going to exist in the same continual debt-fueled mediocrity until they day the country is destroyed by millions of climate refugees. The underclasses of people who don't matter will never see justice or safety or even simple dignity in their daily lives, they will live in hardship and poverty until their physical bodies can no longer maintain productivity, and they are discarded to die in the streets at the age of 45 or so.

Oh well!

Hey, did you seek professional help for your sadbrains yet? You should!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Oh well!

Oh great it's you again.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

infernal machines posted:

Anecdotally, I was at a meeting of the executive board of a local union, one of the committee chairs submitted an expense for an UberX ride and spent the subsequent half-hour getting dressed down by every other member of the board.

It was surprisingly cathartic.

and this here is why there is no effective labour movement in canada

this loving retard

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You guys both have platinum, you can just DM me about how mad you are at me for thinking realistically rather than whining in the canpol thread for two pages about it like usual.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The point is to get you to stop posting and seek help, and that won't work unless you're publicly shamed.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hey charimaster, just ignore the haters i think your posts are lit

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yelling at my fake internet name isn't public shaming, it's anonymous internet posting. Believe it or not, things that are posted on this or any website do not have a major impact on my general psyche and decision making process.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

ChairMaster posted:

The media is so strongly in bed with the status quo that you would have to have the majority of people in general living under those same circumstances for there to ever be any hope of positive change, and most likely that's not going to happen.

The media really don't have the power they used to. They're certainly still influential, but not necessary to organize change.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Evis posted:

The media really don't have the power they used to. They're certainly still influential, but not necessary to organize change.

That's why Bernie Sanders is the president now. Because moneyed interests couldn't stand up to the necessity of change in the face of overwhelming public opinion.

6 years from now maybe we'll see a genuine left candidate gain mass national appeal and take over the NDP and bring them over to the far left where they belong and remove Canadian-Obama from the office of the PM and we'll see a new golden era of social justice and progress just like they have in the US right now.

Wait no, we'll just elect a fascist with dementia.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

and this here is why there is no effective labour movement in canada

this loving retard

I'm incredibly dense, as you know, so spell it out for me.

Make that once a quarter CI effortpost

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The committee chair moron not every human interaction on the internet is about you

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

You know we can probably get a bot to do your posting for you CI

E: gently caress Scheer though, if family farms go it will be a natural social consequence (although putting a country's food generation into fewer and fewer hands seems a little dangerous and I think that's where we're headed)

A lot of the problem is that even people who would want to farm, that would want a little bit of land to sustain themselves on, can't afford it.

Farm land in the prairies has gone up 10-25% per year, year over year, for the last 15 years. Everyone talks about vancouver real estate, but a quarter section that would have been $20k in 2002 is well over $200k now. And then idiots talk about farming in high rises as if we aren't the second largest country in the loving world

Those farmers bemoaning the death of the family farm would probably rather take their Million dollar farming conglomerate payout than sell the land to an individual that wants to farm for a cent less. They don't give a gently caress about the concept of the family farm, they only really care about their specific family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

The committee chair moron not every human interaction on the internet is about you

Lol, you're hard to read. Generally you don't post unless you're insulting someone here, so there was some confusion.

But yes, that's why he got browbeaten for a solid 30 min or so. His defense was he was just completely ignorant of Uber's business model and their lobbying efforts world wide.

Knowing the guy, that's entirely possible.