Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Orv posted:

Watch part 2, know hate.

I'm gonna wait until Monday since it gives me a waiting-for-the-resolution simulation and I'll be kind of busy until then anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Orv posted:

Watch part 2, know hate.

Because that one guy is a jerk to Data? :confused:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

At the same time, Trek is fundamentally grounded in this idea of normal folks in space as opposed to something zany as gently caress like Lexx or Farscape where everyone's a loving weirdo.

I followed most of your post but I want to interject a little tangent here. Star Trek is not fundamentally about normal people; it's about Starfleet officers for the most part, which is to say an idealized version of what we wish normal people were, and hope we can become. They're specialized but are often jacks of all trades, and are generally more than competent, highly motivated, moral individuals with an appreciation for art and culture.

You're largely correct for Lexx and Farscape, of course, but for Stanley Tweedle. Stanley, I would say, hits a little close to home as a normal person, the kind we actually are but don't want to admit it. Lazy, base, whiny, thickheaded Stanley Tweedle, Everyman. And yet even he has his hidden virtues, from time to time. But then the show's about a lot more than just him.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That said, trip report: DS9 season 5, episode 4 "... Nor the Battle to the Strong"

Grim episode, but I have to admit I found it somewhat comical when Jake and Bashir are ambushed on the way to the runabout. They're both so gangly, it was several shots of just arms and legs everywhere.

Cirroc Lofton sold the heck out of Jake's later shame at panicking and running away. And I'm a dad, and I hope I am being half the dad Sisko is to Jake.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Maybe normal people is the wrong way of saying it, they're obviously not joes off the street and one of the critical ways in which the nutrek movies stumble is that they fail to imbue the characters with the air of professionalism or responsibility that even the bad shows always try to convey. But the characters of Trek shows are intended to be normative on a certain level, they attempt to uphold conventional morality, represent the best of their society, and are generally as good they can be. They are never a bunch of sexual deviants or a criminal gang on the run or, for that matter, a hard bitten fleet of soldiers fighting for their lives like in BSG or Above and Beyond, or a morally ambiguous crew trying to skate by in a hostile world like in The Expanse or Firefly. I think that's a pretty universal trait of Trek shows, though there are other non Trek sci-fi shows that share it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

"Normative" I can definitely get behind, yeah.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Orv posted:

Watch part 2, know hate.

Redemption probably sticks the landing best among TNG's two-parters.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I just saw the episode where a pah wraith takes over Keiko's body and mind, and I've never liked Keiko more. Makes me give props to her actor, compared to before that episode.

EDIT: "Yeah, no Miles, you can gently caress yourself raw with my succulent cactus plants. Re-calibrate the sensors you fuckman"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Gowron is one of the best Klingons ever. Right up there with Christopher Lloyd's Krudge in like... making Klingons what they are in all of our minds.

Those fukken bug eyes can tell me to experience bij any day.

Orv
May 4, 2011

After The War posted:

Because that one guy is a jerk to Data? :confused:

Timby posted:

Redemption probably sticks the landing best among TNG's two-parters.

I very strongly dislike the Romulan Commander and what comes of her stuff later on. Jeb probably won't care.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Nailed it. Happy Star Trek Day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So wtf did people make of Tasha Yar showing up as a Romulan when it first aired.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So wtf did people make of Tasha Yar showing up as a Romulan when it first aired.

It was wtf but it was nice to have a little continuity.

Watching Little Green Men and drat if Rom can't thrown down some authentic starfleet bullshit.

Edit: https://youtu.be/4bBD5yyT-s0

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 9, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Isn't that Tasha Yar's actor? Did they really expect no one to notice?

This is what we were hinting at and spoilertexting a couple of days ago. That is indeed Denise "Tasha Yar" Crosby, and she was* the one in the shadows that we never saw while Geordi was being Manchurian Candidate-d. A few of us (who apparently have very good Denise-Crosby-voice-recognizing skills) spotted it on the first airing of The Mind's Eye, and this was the big reveal at the cliffhanger to make absolutely everyone go WTF.

* Okay, they used a stand-in for the silhouette, but Crosby did the voice, which is what counts.

e: Gah, got my episodes confused there. The Mind's Eye, not In Theory.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 9, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

It was wtf but it was nice to have a little continuity.

Well I mean. It seems so bizarre it can't possibly have real continuity but I guess I'll wait and see.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well I mean. It seems so bizarre it can't possibly have real continuity but I guess I'll wait and see.

(I really want to see your take on the whole thing.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What someone said upthread about the JJTrek crew not seeming professional is spot on. I can't help thinking that it's because the makers of TOS were pretty much all ex-military, while the people behind the new movies have spent their entire working lives in Hollywood. (Also: taking literally saying "you have the bridge" to a junior officer and thinking that makes them the captain permanently. :ughh: )

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Payndz posted:

What someone said upthread about the JJTrek crew not seeming professional is spot on. I can't help thinking that it's because the makers of TOS were pretty much all ex-military, while the people behind the new movies have spent their entire working lives in Hollywood. (Also: taking literally saying "you have the bridge" to a junior officer and thinking that makes them the captain permanently. :ughh: )

I wonder who will be more professional, them or the Orville crew? With the JJTrek crew it made somewhat sense (but didn't) because they were all a bunch of 22 year old recent academy grads (but made no sense because why would you give a bunch of recent academy grads command of a massive, expensive flagship. It would be like taking some Annapolis grads and putting them in charge of the USS Abraham Lincoln or something).

Arglebargle III posted:

Wait poo poo they're doubling down on the augment thing and these are the REAL Klingons and every one in previous shows were infected.

That's stupid.

i cannot wait til we see some old school swarthy smooth forehead Klingons with rad 'staches. :getin:

Seriously though, if they did this, I will give them a HUGE pass on a lot of poo poo. I know a lot of people hated the Augment arc but it's part of the continuity now, like it or not. And if this show respects that, I'll give them major credit. They've got the weapons and communicators that look TOS, the promise of more blinkenlights as time goes on (just as Enterprise did) and apparently a planned visit to the Ticonderoga NY TOS set this fall. Combine that with bringing in Enterprise continuity and I'll forgive them for not having Pike style communicators and uniforms.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

[The U.S. is] actually right at the place where Starfleet finds itself in episode one 

Well gently caress

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hwut?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Every now and then there's a <gritty> show pitch where it's all THE FEDERATION HAS LOST IT'S WAY AND GONE ALL RACIST AND AUTHORITARIAN and it's just dumb every loving time

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Every now and then there's a <gritty> show pitch where it's all THE FEDERATION HAS LOST IT'S WAY AND GONE ALL RACIST AND AUTHORITARIAN and it's just dumb every loving time

Now you made me remember Renegades. God drat it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Astroman posted:

Seriously though, if they did this, I will give them a HUGE pass on a lot of poo poo. I know a lot of people hated the Augment arc but it's part of the continuity now, like it or not. And if this show respects that, I'll give them major credit. They've got the weapons and communicators that look TOS, the promise of more blinkenlights as time goes on (just as Enterprise did) and apparently a planned visit to the Ticonderoga NY TOS set this fall. Combine that with bringing in Enterprise continuity and I'll forgive them for not having Pike style communicators and uniforms.

That arc was dumb but STD isn't respecting it anyway, Enterprise said that TMP+ crabface Klingons are the original Klingon biology and TOS swarthy smooth ones are the augment-infected. If these coal-black dudes in chandelier armor are supposed to be the :wooper:~true original concept do not steal~:wooper: Klingons then that's a *ticks off on fingers* retcon of a retcon of a retcon. Just lol if any of this looks like respect.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

They keep saying they are doing something with different Klingon houses, all of which have a different look. It could be kind of neat to have all of them running around at once: the old school greasy Mongolian Klingons, these "ancient" guys, the TNG Viking dudes, the Star Trek VI space Russians...

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Hmmm...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If they were going for "ancient Klingons" then they should have used the design of Worf's de-evolved form from "Genesis."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

:doh:

Our entire civilization is just failing.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
:gonk:

Who are these people???

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
That is the weirdest list. Its all good TNG episodes and then the lame Voyager equivalents. Not even a good Doctor episode or Wink of an Eye.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

I guess I can understand people going through the major Borg-centric episodes. But then 9 and 10 are a random lovely season 1 Voyager episode and an okay-ish TNG episode from the middle of the series.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Pakled posted:

If they were going for "ancient Klingons" then they should have used the design of Worf's de-evolved form from "Genesis."

That's probably too ancient. I got the impression that Worf's proto-Klingon form probably dates back hundreds of thousands of years or more.

It could also be an unreliable gauge of accuracy considering how Barclay somehow de-evolved into a spider. :v:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Mountaineer posted:

I guess I can understand people going through the major Borg-centric episodes. But then 9 and 10 are a random lovely season 1 Voyager episode and an okay-ish TNG episode from the middle of the series.

To theorize, I've contributed to this list by using those episodes as white background noise to fall asleep to.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Who are these people???

In, like, every survey taken over the past 15 years, Voyager has been almost always at the top of "favorite Trek series" polls.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

Most rewatched because they're so forgettable?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

People like Voyager for some reason. I don't get it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Simple, really: it was TNG Lite.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Who are these people???

Star Trek fans.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 9, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Borg are the Star Trek villain everyone knows, it's not super hard to figure most of that list out. Why Time and Again I don't know (its an okay Janeway episode) but Clues is a good episode at least.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FuturePastNow posted:

People like Voyager for some reason. I don't get it.

TNG-lite, low-calorie, was pimped out heavily by Paramount PR for having a woman as the captain, was the flagship of UPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wonder what the franchise would be like today if Voyager had came out right after TNG, to sate the audience who wanted more TNG instead of coming face to face with only DS9. Would Voyager's numbers had been higher had DS9 not poisoned the well?