Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Digital Osmosis posted:

Active at the time of getting XP. So it's hard to kill stuff with a bar full of skills you can't use, but easy to get the quest XP from turning in a quest with your useless skill bar active and level them that way.

I was mistaken, btw, I needed Militant Ordinator for the master writ. 200k AP for the motif, and then what, 50k for the crafting style? I can comfortably cap a resource by myself but drat is that still gonna take a while. Cyrodiil is so big, and so annoying to navigate. It's perfect for active battles and terrible for soloing.

Yeah, you should really just zerg or do small group vs group PVP. I like to roll with 10-15 people can cap resources and siege keeps, if other small groups attack, run them over, if the zerg comes, fight them off for as long as you can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MF_James posted:

Correct. So, what you generally do once you hit 15 and get to weapon swap is that you use a main bar (called the front bar) to kill stuff with, then once you turn in quests or are otherwise going to get a big XP boost (such as finishing a random dungeon by killing the last boss) you swap to your secondary bar (aka back bar) that is full of skills and using a weapon line you want to level so you get that phat xp.

God drat. I didn't realize this would apply to quest XP too. Thanks for the info, everybody. This should help immensely :D

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

explosivo posted:

God drat. I didn't realize this would apply to quest XP too. Thanks for the info, everybody. This should help immensely :D

Yeah just remember, swap to the bar BEFORE turning in the quest/killing the random dungeon boss, otherwise you will miss the xp (this is going to happen a shitload or at least does to me)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

food court bailiff posted:

E: also it completely threw me that Ebonheart in this game is not actually the city of Ebonheart from Morrowind. Like, I kept looking at the map and trying to figure out how exactly this landmass was meant to be Vvardenfell was giving me a headache.

That's actually the location of Ebonheart going off of TESI: Arena:

While the Ebonheart in TES3 is actually Castle Ebonheart.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

Diggin up some bones there!

Never played Arena or Daggerfall, I should probably see if I can get them and install them to punish myself.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MF_James posted:

Diggin up some bones there!

Never played Arena or Daggerfall, I should probably see if I can get them and install them to punish myself.

Bethesda's made em both available for free

https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/arena/
https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/daggerfall/

I'll warn you now, though, these games are seriously rough if you don't have nostalgia goggles going for you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MF_James posted:

Everything is scaled. Possibly Veteran content is different, I am unsure if you can do vet content under CP160.

Also, you can definitely do stuff with goons, a lot of people can solo dungeons and will gladly bring people with them to do random dungeons/daily dungeon pledges.

Awesome. I'm @Nekheny_IV but I'm still only like lvl 12 right now.

I'm having fun so far and obviously there's lots of stuff to do, but if everything's scaled are gear bonuses enough to make it feel like you ever get stronger?

Berke Negri posted:

Yeah - I ended up looking at an ES wiki to figure out what was going on. With all the weird architecture and mushrooms I really thought for a while it was Vvardenfell.

MF_James posted:

Nah, in fact it's recommended especially while leveling so you can level a bunch of skill lines. I recommend your main bar be skills you can use and kill things with, then swap to the back bar, full of skills you want to level, when you are turning in quests, about to kill the last boss of a random dungeon etc so you can get the big xp boost on that back bar.

This is good advice, I'll have to set that up.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

I'm having fun so far and obviously there's lots of stuff to do, but if everything's scaled are gear bonuses enough to make it feel like you ever get stronger?

Gear bonuses plus the abilities you unlock as you level will definitely make you feel stronger. It's a slow and subtle progression, but if you compare a lvl 15 with a max cp lvl character, the ease of being able to complete content is certainly noticeable.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sort of? There are also a few odd curves during the leveling process where you will feel weaker then stronger again, gear bonuses definitely help during the process, but you're not going to notice a huge increase (or at least I don't, but I definitely wear green gear with training trait and lovely enchants that's 10 levels lower because it doesn't matter much). Once you hit max level (CP160 and beyond) you will get noticeably weaker immediately, and then have to get gear/getgud to feel strong again.

I'd say abilities more than anything while you're leveling will make you feel stronger, unless you're wearing stuff without any trait/enchant at all...

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gotcha, that makes perfect sense.

Even playing (essentially) singleplayer so far has been fun, it's a cool world to explore.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Alternatively, motherfucking Dragon Breaks

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Fun fact, those 3 town's on Vvardenfell in Arena are named Old Run (Ald'ruhn), Stoneforest, (Bal means Stone, Mora means Forest, thus Balmora), and Markgran Forest (Maar Gan).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Alternatively, motherfucking Dragon Breaks

On this note, around when (world event wise) is this game happening? In the main Ebonheart "make everyone not hate each other" quest, you learn about the Tribunal and find they're still active, even if their powers are waning. Does that mean that the battle of Red Mountain (and Numidium being activated, Nerevar being slain, the Tribunal's apotheosis, etc) is in recent memory, or what?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The intro gives the specific year, but it's like 400 something of the second era, iirc. 700 years before TES3.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

The game starts in 2E 582. The second era ends in 2E 896 with the establishment of the Septim dynasty. Arena is 3E 399, Daggerfall is 3E 417, Morrowind is 3E 427, Oblivion is 3E 433 - which is the last year of the third era and the end of the Septim dynasty. Skryim is set in 4E 201.

Edit: More specifically, the Battle of the Red Mountain was around 1E 700 and the first era lasted until 1E 2920. So the tribunal has been in power for about 2800 years.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 8, 2017

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Thanks dorkazoid. I didn't know any of that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just saw that I can be a criminal in this game and I kinda want to play it now?
How's the combat system? Seems like the hotbars are pretty small compared to WoW or FFXIV

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Augus posted:

I just saw that I can be a criminal in this game and I kinda want to play it now?
How's the combat system? Seems like the hotbars are pretty small compared to WoW or FFXIV

Combat is a heck of a lot more active. You have 5 abilities and your ult, and only the ult is on a "cooldown" - everything else just has a resource cost.
Everyone can block, dodge roll, bash (interrupt), heavy attack, and light attack. Blocking and dodging cost resources, and heavy attacks restore resources.

It plays a lot like an action game. Your "rotation" is broken up by dodging big attacks, interrupting spellcasters, and blocking heavy attacks. It's by far the most engaging MMO combat I've ever played. You don't feel starved for abilities since they're not going on cooldown, and since everyone gets dodges, blocks and bashes you have a lot of your utility covered.

Building your hotbar is almost like building a mini-class. It also means that a lot of your development as a character is horizontal - my max-level Nightblade, for example, can do a shitton of different jobs based on the abilities he slots.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Do people use any mod managers to keep mods updated nowadays? I remember something called Minion or some such thing. Looks like all the mods have abandoned Curse.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Givin posted:

Do people use any mod managers to keep mods updated nowadays? I remember something called Minion or some such thing. Looks like all the mods have abandoned Curse.

Yeah, Minion. https://www.minion.gg/ With ESO, quite a few addon's are abandoned/out of date, but as long as you click "Allow Outdated Addons" in the in game addon menu there shouldn't be any problems.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Augus posted:

Sneakthieving in this game is incredibly satisfying. Honestly maybe more fun than the single player TES games, because you can't savescum. The Thieve's guild and Dark Brotherhood storylines are pretty good too, and selling all your stolen goods to a fence (there's a per-day cap you can increase, to a point) is actually pretty decent reliable money.

I'm going to disagree with Sixto, a bit. To me this still feels fundamentally like a TES game, which while real time still is pretty far off from an action game. Despite that there absolutely are some reflexes required, and I've hosed up fights by accidentally hitting the wrong ability at the wrong time, so your rotation does require more skill than an average MMO. Another fun and complicating factor is that you have a "front bar and back bar" which can use different weapons and slot different skills, so for example I need to switch to put up a damage shield or throw a self-heal on and take into account the animation delay and things like that.

I play on PC with an Xbox controller and while I bet it's subpar for optimal play I've done some pretty hard content and not made a total fool of myself. The faster pacing and the controller use is probably why I've stuck with ESO into the endgame, tbh. Running around soloing content is satisfying as gently caress, all muscle memory and devastation unless you're looking to challenge yourself - but a lot of group content, even on normal mode (there's a separate "veteran" mode for every dungeon) requires you to be keeping track of a bunch of things at once: your attack's ranges, the enemy's attack's ranges, your health and stamina/magicka, what skills you have, your positioning, and your rotation. It's dynamic and a lot more fun than the other MMO's I've played but I still don't quite consider it an action game. Oh and this is all from a ranged DPS perspective - melee is probably even harder, let alone healing or tanking. Just don't think you're getting a dark souls or even a Witcher 3.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
So I forgot how lovely Zenimax does at making poo poo until tonight. Joined a big group in Imperial Sewers and we fought Molag Bal four times. No loot. I'd forgotten that only the top 12 DPS get drops, and us healers and tanks can just go gently caress ourselves.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Digital Osmosis posted:

Sneakthieving in this game is incredibly satisfying. Honestly maybe more fun than the single player TES games, because you can't savescum. The Thieve's guild and Dark Brotherhood storylines are pretty good too, and selling all your stolen goods to a fence (there's a per-day cap you can increase, to a point) is actually pretty decent reliable money.

I'm going to disagree with Sixto, a bit. To me this still feels fundamentally like a TES game, which while real time still is pretty far off from an action game. Despite that there absolutely are some reflexes required, and I've hosed up fights by accidentally hitting the wrong ability at the wrong time, so your rotation does require more skill than an average MMO. Another fun and complicating factor is that you have a "front bar and back bar" which can use different weapons and slot different skills, so for example I need to switch to put up a damage shield or throw a self-heal on and take into account the animation delay and things like that.

I play on PC with an Xbox controller and while I bet it's subpar for optimal play I've done some pretty hard content and not made a total fool of myself. The faster pacing and the controller use is probably why I've stuck with ESO into the endgame, tbh. Running around soloing content is satisfying as gently caress, all muscle memory and devastation unless you're looking to challenge yourself - but a lot of group content, even on normal mode (there's a separate "veteran" mode for every dungeon) requires you to be keeping track of a bunch of things at once: your attack's ranges, the enemy's attack's ranges, your health and stamina/magicka, what skills you have, your positioning, and your rotation. It's dynamic and a lot more fun than the other MMO's I've played but I still don't quite consider it an action game. Oh and this is all from a ranged DPS perspective - melee is probably even harder, let alone healing or tanking. Just don't think you're getting a dark souls or even a Witcher 3.

If you're just a pet sorc or something similarly mag dps the game probably doesnt feel too non-mmoy besides more limited ability slots but stamdps is definitely a pretty active combat game where positioning and movement and timing is very important.

Gear and CP matter a lot but you wont make big numbers unless you actually know how to play your class and make most out of your abilities.

I mean its not Dark Souls but vMA or soloing some Craglorn stuff isn't really a static gear check either. There's plenty of people that are max CP, all gold gear, not garbage at the game, and still haven't done vMA (like myself) while people have finished it with half the resources just by really getting it down. There is actually skill involved even though the barrier for BiS (relative to other games) is pretty low, Im okay with just being competent but people really can reach for the stars on skill alone once they got access to 160 gear.

Like a perfect CP660 player will outclass a perfect CP300 character but a perfect CP300 character will probably do better than your average CP660 person, if they know what they're doing.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Ok so I've been meaning to get around to a serious attempt on VMA but it's been ages since I tried it. I've got a fuckton of characters. What's your "easy" mode build? I was thinking stamsorc or magplar.

e: I got to the last round with a heavy armor stamsorc like a year ago but I deleted that guy

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 9, 2017

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

Ok so I've been meaning to get around to a serious attempt on VMA but it's been ages since I tried it. I've got a fuckton of characters. What's your "easy" mode build? I was thinking stamsorc or magplar.

e: I got to the last round with a heavy armor stamsorc like a year ago but I deleted that guy

Magicka Nightblade or Magicka Sorc (Pets optional)

Anything stamina pretty much requires Vicious Ophidian to be any bit effective.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I feel like parts of this game are the universe's revenge for me always saying I never encountered many bugs in Bethesda games before. Jeeeeeez.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

I'm going to disagree with Sixto, a bit.

your dead fucker

But also I agree with mosta what you said it's not quite full blown action game but it's more active. And playing with a controller is great. And stealing is triple great, especially in the huge rear end cities like Abah's.

(Also I think we've run dungeons together, I'm @TheSJC)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Okay, so I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of choices starting out here. Different weapon skills, 3 different class skill trees, armor skills, soul skills, etc. Is it important for me to stick to one tree or can I mix and match a bit? Since I'm using daggers should I put all my stats in stamina? Can I use bows as well without sucking with both weapons?

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

I'm almost sure these orcs will not run me out of Betnikh and the game, could I get an invite @Quidquol?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Augus posted:

Okay, so I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of choices starting out here. Different weapon skills, 3 different class skill trees, armor skills, soul skills, etc. Is it important for me to stick to one tree or can I mix and match a bit? Since I'm using daggers should I put all my stats in stamina? Can I use bows as well without sucking with both weapons?

You'll eventually get enough SP to start putting them into stuff you'll never need or even to develop straight up backup roles. Plenty of stamDPS people have all the tank skills because why not? At first it's a good idea to get an idea of what skills you'll be using. Usually that means spreading them around a bit, but if there's a super powerful passive in one tree it might be good to concentrate. Alcast's builds are often a good starting point.

The attribute points thing is by far the worst and worst explained area of the game. Basically your physical damage scales with max stamina and your magic damage scales with max magicka. That means you probably want to be putting ALL of your level up points into stamina.

Pretty much every melee build (on Alcast's site, at least) uses bows as a back-bar. Sometimes you'll need to get the gently caress out of the way of an attack and still want to do DPS, and there are a lot of good DoT bow skills. Daggers and Bows is a time honored set up - I'm double bows but when I hit the highest level for gear goons gave me two daggers two, which I'm slowly leveling.

Finally, a lot of the class skills are magicka based. Some of them "morph" into stamina skills - check out the wiki. But as a stam characer in general you're going to be using a lot more weapon skills than class skills.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

And yes, there is a good amount of skill in this game - but it basically comes only if you look for it. As it happens, this is the first MMO where the core gameplay is good enough that I've gone looking for it. But you can solo basically all the solo content in the game and barely know how to play your class. Maybe not for melee? I really need to get over my aversion to TES melee and try it out, I wanna run a dope 2H stamsorc and just be making GBS threads lightning and huge sword swipes at all times. But I like the relatively low skill for solo PVE stuff, actually - it doesn't scare off the n00bs, and it means there's stuff to do when I'm too drunk to concentrate on a dungeon or something.

edit: never played WoW but a lot of my friends did and IIRC there was a running joke about hunters, a ranged pet class, being only played by people who don't know how to play the game. Well, I'm a bear bow warden, so... basically the same class. So... maybe I never learned how to play ESO, lol.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

someone rmurdered an NPC right in front of my eyes, then threw poop in my face and ran away.
this is a good game

EDIT: stealing everything that isn't nailed down seems like an amazing way get money. nice.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I feel sorry for all the poor bastards who don't have the infinite poop bag.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Where do I get this infinite poop bag

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I figured I'd pretty much have to scrap all my launch characters and start over. It's not worth wasting the resources on respeccing, retraining, and trying to understand everything all at once.

Alcast's builds are not for the new player. Holy poo poo at trying to make sense of this.

Are there any other good resources out there that eases you in to a class/role as opposed to showing you the 50/600 dream builds or assuming you have access to set bonuses at any time?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Where do I get this infinite poop bag

It's from an event. It lets you throw ... mud.

It's the Bosmer winter event, I think?

e: Oh, you might be able to find the memento on guild traders. Search misc for mud balls.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Scyantific posted:

Magicka Nightblade or Magicka Sorc (Pets optional)

Anything stamina pretty much requires Vicious Ophidian to be any bit effective.

I got my first vMA done on a stam sorc with 16k hp and without Vigor (I don't really do pvp) or VO. that's not to say it was a breeze, but it's doable. Also, you can use Vengeance Leech jewelry for some extra health and hp regain on a kill, which makes things that much easier.

but yeah, mag nb & mag sorc are by all accounts the ezmode choices.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Is it weird if I think this game blows Skyrim out of the water? I've only played a few hours but I'm having a blast, it reminds me of first playing Oblivion over a decade ago when I wasn't totally jaded with Bethesda's games, and just went running around doing whatever I wanted.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Augus posted:

Is it weird if I think this game blows Skyrim out of the water? I've only played a few hours but I'm having a blast, it reminds me of first playing Oblivion over a decade ago when I wasn't totally jaded with Bethesda's games, and just went running around doing whatever I wanted.

No, I totally agree with you! But to be fair, that's the benefit of years of constant updating and development -- on launch, it was a tedious bullshit nightmare with gated areas and lots of faction restrictions, and you couldn't even steal poo poo because they didn't realize people would actually want to. You could definitely tell it was designed by oldschool Age of Camelot people and it didn't feel like Elder Scrolls at all, even though the writing itself was still pretty on-point. The fact that over the years it's turned into one of the best games in the series is, frankly, remarkable.

e: I will say, though, that while locking off whole areas of the world by faction was lame and stupid, it also resulted in them trying to make the three groups' areas look distinct architecturally and visually, because that's what you did in MMOs of that era. So in the end, it worked out!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Being able to go anywhere and do anything is a big plus for this game. It really puts the open in open world. Without that this game would kinda stink. But as is I can take my grumpy Orc to Wrothgar at level 1, or raise a character entirely through the dark brotherhood. Without Tamriel Unlimited I probably wouldn't be playing this.