Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I thought that was odd - I liked the bit where he wanders over to the mailbox in a daze, but them disappearing from the film felt like an editing mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU's right though. What scares you and what makes an effective horror movie have crossover, but they're distinct things.

Unrelated but I want to add to the chorus of people saying how much this movie smokes Stranger Things.

edit: but yeah I'd've liked a bit more of the bullies as well

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 9, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

HUNDU's right though. What scares you and what makes an effective horror movie have crossover, but they're distinct things.

Horror movies only exist some of the time. "Horror movies" exist at all times. The crossover is what makes them so pleasurable, not the existence.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Karloff posted:

Is there a scene on the cutting room floor where Bower kills his two mates as well, I mean, he turns up at Neibolt in their car

I don't know if they filmed Bowers actually killing them, but I believe some people who saw early versions of this said there was a scene showing them dead in the back of the car and it was obvious that he had done it

e: I haven't seen it yet but from a lot of things I've read it does sound like something was rushed or went wrong during the editing process

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Horror movies only exist some of the time. "Horror movies" exist at all times. The crossover is what makes them so pleasurable, not the existence.

ngl I have no idea what this means

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, obviously in the book they get got in the sewer, but maybe the filmmakers thought it'd be tidier, maybe keep the focus on the losers, if Bowers did them in but then cut it for whatever reason, like Bowers just seems to fall to his death in the film, though I presume maybe Chapter Two will show him being pulled out by the police and then they can blame him for all the disappearances, especially if they find him with a bunch of kids' bodies down there

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The inclusion of Patrick was also really weird for how they handled him. I guess it was just a book nod, but they already had more bullies than they know how to close out at that point so why not use Belch or Vic?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't think it's some ineffable experience, otherwise no one would bother.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

MrMojok posted:

I don't know if they filmed Bowers actually killing them, but I believe some people who saw early versions of this said there was a scene showing them dead in the back of the car and it was obvious that he had done it

e: I haven't seen it yet but from a lot of things I've read it does sound like something was rushed or went wrong during the editing process

Oh, fair enough then, wonder why they cut it..

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I'm all kinds of curious to see a directors cut of this, maybe an extended version, somewhere down the road.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ngl I have no idea what this means

Think on it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't think it's some ineffable experience, otherwise no one would bother.

That's the only reason that they do bother. We are like the spider, who pays ten dollars to post on a forum and then wastes its life doing so.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

*thinking emoji* having thought on it I don't think it actually means anything

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

*thinking emoji* having thought on it I don't think it actually means anything

There's no use to talking about horror films using terminology that doesn't strictly deal with the subjective and liminal, everything else is dull, pointless, and unproductive.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Overall, I really liked this movie. It had some great creature effects, it adhered to the original book pretty closely, and even though it pulled punches--it didn't pull them to the extent I thought it would. However, since my inner (and outer) rear end in a top hat won't shut up, the part where Pennywise was dancing really fast looked loving stupid. The Deadlights are supposed to gently caress you up way worse than it did to Beverly. Apparently it takes about 30 seconds for an inter-dimensional spider that's lived for millennia to die of starvation. It seems like the writers got halfway through before they went "Oh poo poo, we don't have time to flesh out The Black Spot! Let's just have Mike's parents die in fire too, so that solves that. Wait, poo poo, we made The Black Spot side story irrelevant! Oh well." The literally floating kids was a dumb thing to do, since now there's a sewer full of child corpses and apparently the Loser's Club was like "Well, okay, have fun down here you guys!"

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Another strange bit for me that shouldn't work but really did was during Georgie's death, cutting to the reaction shot of a nearby cat, and then the neighbour as well, like I have a feeling they will go into that in Chapter Two as being the whole town being "IT" but it added to the shock of the moment for me, like, that cat was pretty alarmed, as was I

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's no use to talking about horror films using terminology that doesn't strictly deal with the subjective and liminal, everything else is dull, pointless, and unproductive.

Okay but I don't get how that applies to what you said before. What are horror movies vs "horror movies" to you?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In the book, wasn't one aspect of the adult story basically that Pennywise knew he had a little less control over the adults? In the sense that they weren't as easily victimized by images and fears It could pluck from their minds... hence trying to intimidate and threaten them into leaving town, and also sending Henry to their hotel. What I'm getting at is Henry has got to be back in part two

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MrMojok posted:

In the book, wasn't one aspect of the adult story basically that Pennywise knew he had a little less control over the adults? In the sense that they weren't as easily victimized by images and fears It could pluck from their minds... hence trying to intimidate and threaten them into leaving town, and also sending Henry to their hotel. What I'm getting at is Henry has got to be back in part two

Yeah they did kinda make it look like Henry died but not bringing him back would be a huge mistake, I'm guessing the cops go down into the sewers to find the dead kids and find crazy Henry there too. Plus, Mike being the one who pushed him down the well gives Henry extra motivation to go after him specifically.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

MrMojok posted:

I feel like Vic and Belch's deaths being cut from the theatrical is probably that they're being saved for use in part two as well, so the primary human antagonists will be Henry, Vic, Belch, and whoever Bev's husband is.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I also agree that it would work much better with the adults doing it.
It's funny how a lot of people were talking about it being made as a standalone film because it really is measured in terms of what it puts in the first chapter. Like I'm sure we're going to see Bill outrun the devil in the sequel but instead of having him do it twice or play up Silver as that significant of a thing, the bikes are just a continual motif of the film and children going to the unknown. I don't know if they are going to go as much with the power of imagination in the second film, but I was kind of anticipating them doing Street Fighter moves at one point.

It is interesting how off the mark a lot of us were in terms of stuff like Dracula and the Mummy being replaced with more time specific villains. Not saying it would have been better if they did, but I do think it speaks to the one thing that bothered me about the film which is it just doesn't seem as entrenched in its time or place as the book. It's a very fairytale like movie with an oddly timeless feel to it despite the time stamps.There is 80s stuff but it's very pronounced and broad although I'm pretty sure Ben has lovely taste in Rock and Roll in the books which was adapted well. I wish the 50s rock and roll reaction that rap was getting in the late 80s was there. It doesn't make it a bad film, but Derry definitely doesn't feel like a monster in of itself and it doesn't have as nuanced a take on childhood as the book does.

Das Boo posted:

The inclusion of Patrick was also really weird for how they handled him. I guess it was just a book nod, but they already had more bullies than they know how to close out at that point so why not use Belch or Vic?
Honestly, I do think the first act is really, really weak in terms of just how much It we get. The Georgie scene is brutal and sets it up well enough. The first act of the movie really treats Pennywise like a slasher villain. The Patrick scene in particular feels like it's from an 80s slasher and not the off brand Del Toro direction mixed with Goonies charm that the rest of the movie has.

If you were rewriting the film I think the thing to do is to make Stan's moment a lot more subtle. Have Ben be in the library to write the haiku but then have him pass by Mike who is doing research at the library. Have Mike be the one researching Derry and give him the egg-hunt scare which has a built in connection to his parents who also burned to death. Create a divide in the group that until Neibolt Street, Bev, Mike, and Bill are the only ones who have actually directly confronted It with Ben having seen how it impacts people. And really try to bring back the fridge scene from the first one. Nix the mutual masturbation and farts, but have Henry and Patrick killing animals to show these aren't just garden variety bullies. You probably can connect that to the rock fight. Have Mike be the one who sees it instead of Bev, have Henry and Patrick spot him and chase him, and connect into the rock fight itself.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a version of the script where Henry's dad is a racist rear end cop who harasses Mike's family and Mike learns about the Black Spot setting up as this missing puzzle piece who can give more context to what It is when he joins the losers. Henry being the one to fight Mike at wellhouse feels like it should have a lot more power to it. Even the comment about his parents feels hollow because Mike feels so disconnected from the group.

I think the thing I really disliked about the Patrick scene is that they did go through the trouble of him coming off as the more violent of the gang members. So they were trying to sell as fast as they could, "He's the crazy one!" But that's not really who he is in the books. The book makes a comment that he's not really a violent kid despite being infinitely more terrifying. There is the creepy detail of him molesting girls in class which is arguably worse than Bowers beating up kids but seemingly get away with it speaks to how hosed the adults in Derry are. The movie version isn't just a cut down version--the film shouldn't be devoting five minutes to a five year old killing his younger brother--but it's just a kind of lame CRAZY character as presented.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Karloff posted:

Yeah, both those were amazing especially giant IT, because I was pretty sure the scene was done with and then.... BAM

Showing that scene in the trailer was great. When it started, everyone kind of shifted uncomfortably in their seats, because we though we were settling down to watch a five minute extended version of a scene we already knew the ending of. But then Giant IT, and the fact that we were all on the edge of not paying attention because we thought the trailer showed the end of the scene made it all the more frightening.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also this is probably my only chance to bring this up on-topic: The haiku's always bugged me because it only works if "fire" is on the second line, but it's never written like that. Not criticism or detraction of the film, just a stick in my craw 20 years running. :mad:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Also this is probably my only chance to bring this up on-topic: The haiku's always bugged me because it only works if "fire" is on the second line, but it's never written like that. Not criticism or detraction of the film, just a stick in my craw 20 years running. :mad:

To be fair it's written by a little kid!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ben is such a cutie :3

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair it's written by a little kid!

He repeats the rules to himself and admires how simple they are! Pay attention, boy! :argh:
But yes, Ben was an adorable little pudge ball.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Okay but I don't get how that applies to what you said before. What are horror movies vs "horror movies" to you?

Come on, you're Uncle Boogeyman, how is this mysterious to you?

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
Been about five months since I last posted here on anything movie-related.

It traumatized me. That may be the wrong word, but my wife was scared because I was barely able to get myself together due to one scene where the violence was almost copied and pasted from personal trauma. Got home and wrote my piece to do my best to explain why.

I'm not watching this again and I legit don't know if I'll be up for chapter 2.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That sequence in particular was extremely effective and difficult to watch. Mostly I felt incredibly incensed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nobody gets cut up by a bully in the second part.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody gets cut up by a bully in the second part.

Film-wise, this first chapter effectively conveyed how traumatic events leave wounds that can easily be revisited or reverted to the mindset of that experience.

Since that's more or less what the second half of It deals with directly, and how effectively Muschietti captured the traumatic seeds in this 1st chapter / half / whatever, barring a director shift or some sad decrease in talent I don't know if I can take it. That said, I'm not in the same position I was this time last year, and we've still got a ways to go before the second part's coming out, so who knows.

All I can say for certain right now is writing and / or playing Shadow Tactics is barely keeping things at bay even after my meds. I wasn't prepared for this raw an affect.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Overall, I really liked this movie. It had some great creature effects, it adhered to the original book pretty closely, and even though it pulled punches--it didn't pull them to the extent I thought it would. However, since my inner (and outer) rear end in a top hat won't shut up, the part where Pennywise was dancing really fast looked loving stupid. The Deadlights are supposed to gently caress you up way worse than it did to Beverly. Apparently it takes about 30 seconds for an inter-dimensional spider that's lived for millennia to die of starvation. It seems like the writers got halfway through before they went "Oh poo poo, we don't have time to flesh out The Black Spot! Let's just have Mike's parents die in fire too, so that solves that. Wait, poo poo, we made The Black Spot side story irrelevant! Oh well." The literally floating kids was a dumb thing to do, since now there's a sewer full of child corpses and apparently the Loser's Club was like "Well, okay, have fun down here you guys!"

A few of the changes like Mike's parents and Beverly just getting kidnapped for a bit and having to be saved just felt kind of weak to me, especially given how much influence Mike's parents had over his growth in the book. I was kind of disappointed they didn't include some of the historical scenes either, like the fire or the gang shooting. Also they cut out Stan's entire bird watching thing, and the dead boys which was kind of disappointing. I wasn't a huge fan of the creepy painting lady. I guess it's a good thing that my only real complaints about the movie are pointless nitpicks? I think the kid who played Eddie did an excellent job especially.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Nuebot posted:

I think the kid who played Eddie did an excellent job especially.

I loved the look on his face when he was screaming, "Don't you touch me! Don't you loving TOUCH ME!" after his arm got broken.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

A few of the changes like Mike's parents and Beverly just getting kidnapped for a bit and having to be saved just felt kind of weak to me, especially given how much influence Mike's parents had over his growth in the book. I was kind of disappointed they didn't include some of the historical scenes either, like the fire or the gang shooting. Also they cut out Stan's entire bird watching thing, and the dead boys which was kind of disappointing. I wasn't a huge fan of the creepy painting lady. I guess it's a good thing that my only real complaints about the movie are pointless nitpicks? I think the kid who played Eddie did an excellent job especially.

Supposedly they're already working on Part 2 and they're going to flash back to things when they were kids. So, we may see a lot of omitted stuff then.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Been about five months since I last posted here on anything movie-related.

It traumatized me. That may be the wrong word, but my wife was scared because I was barely able to get myself together due to one scene where the violence was almost copied and pasted from personal trauma. Got home and wrote my piece to do my best to explain why.

I'm not watching this again and I legit don't know if I'll be up for chapter 2.

This was an excellent write-up, thanks for this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Film-wise, this first chapter effectively conveyed how traumatic events leave wounds that can easily be revisited or reverted to the mindset of that experience.

Since that's more or less what the second half of It deals with directly, and how effectively Muschietti captured the traumatic seeds in this 1st chapter / half / whatever, barring a director shift or some sad decrease in talent I don't know if I can take it. That said, I'm not in the same position I was this time last year, and we've still got a ways to go before the second part's coming out, so who knows.

All I can say for certain right now is writing and / or playing Shadow Tactics is barely keeping things at bay even after my meds. I wasn't prepared for this raw an affect.

Extremely well done, but frankly all of your stuff I've read has been professional.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It always puts me on edge when someone says the bullying in movies like this (or Stand by Me) is cartoonish and over-the-top, which really only tells me that they've never been bullied.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
what was the little rhyme Pennywise was saying as he retreated after the final confrontation? All I caught was 'fear' at the very end.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
He was repeating the phrase Bill says to help with his stutter: "He thrusts his fists against the post and still insists he sees the ghosts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

Having slept on it, I can safely say this was a terrible horror film and an excellent children's adventure movie in the vein of The Goonies, The Lost Boys and Indiana Jones. You know, back when kids would gleefully watch violent movies and buy action figures from Predator and Terminator, and Freddy Kreuger had a TV show.

What made this stop? Columbine?

• Locked thread