Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mainly do the franchise mode. And then maybe dick around with My Player some.

I just wish you could skip cutscenes in my player. That's just about it. The myplayer stuff is the best looking it looks since they removed the ability to create perfect god basketball with the dual spec stuff allowing me to play a character that can do more than one thing well.

The prelude demo is garbage though they should have let you still play around with your character after it ends and replay matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
poo poo like this is just basically unacceptable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdVgjPMFeEk

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That's not good sure. But that just seems like garbage UI design(valid complaint most assuredly) not some scam that 2k is trying to perpetrate.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm dling the prelude right now to get some more material to roast 2k. I hope it doesn't let me down.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Prelude wasn't very good, but the 5 on 5 with NBA players was good. The gameplay looks like an incremental improvement this year.

hopterque posted:

It's not but it's 20 bucks cheaper and also not tied up with a bunch of bad bullshit decisions and terrible storytelling and all this other baggage.

2k's on the court product is basically unbeatable but I don't just sit and play single games in a vacuum all the time and I'm not hugely into franchise stuff, so that leaves me with an increasingly obnoxious and sub par career mode and an ultimate team mode that will almost certainly suffer from bad online play stuff like every year, and they both are incredibly lovely about price gouging and pay2win and premium currency poo poo.

The gameplay in 2k is so good that its keeping me on the fence but man I am getting sick of all the other poo poo.

You are taking a big leap if you don't think Live is going to have a bunch of that bad stuff too. Their previous online experiences were really bad.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
2ks basketball is good but they keep adding more and more loving garbage around the my player for no real understandable reason

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hell I'm even into the stupid Basketball City idea, but it's poo poo like haircuts costing an arm and a leg that hamper it for me. If next year they don't move to a system jacking Live's credit system they're just impossible to get through to.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i honestly dont mind the cutscenes theyre all stupid but w/e spike lee and hannibal burress probably appreciate the paychecks

why the gently caress is the gym in the game unless its some meta "practicing loving sucks" poo poo which is incredibly stupid since its not fun at all

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yall are making some really good arguments for Live. I agree the vc poo poo is extremely annoying and im probably not wasting much time on mycareer outside the storyline once because im the problem as i actually do enjoy that type of stuff. If it wasn't for myteam and mygm id probably do strictly Live this year as well

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Wait, VC is back in MyPlayer? gently caress that, I'll switch my preorder to Live if that's true.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

CVagts posted:

Wait, VC is back in MyPlayer? gently caress that, I'll switch my preorder to Live if that's true.

yeah it is, there was some journalist talking about how it was decoupled but he was apparently full of poo poo because its the same as usual except even shittier now that you have to pay for haircuts and stuff too lmao.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

hopterque posted:

yeah it is, there was some journalist talking about how it was decoupled but he was apparently full of poo poo because its the same as usual except even shittier now that you have to pay for haircuts and stuff too lmao.

Dammit. Hopefully Steam gives me a refund. I'll buy it later if it turns out to not be that bad, but I'm so sick of VC nonsense.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I've always been a 2K head, but Live's actual gameplay is far better. The one on one defense is fun, and the game flows like real basketball. I wasn't expecting to buy Live at all considering it has been garbage forever, but I'm switching this year.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The prelude was the worst one I've played yet. The gameplay feels slower. As for the story you're a DJ who already lives in a mansion with a ghetto caricature Asian woman as your best friend and you get scouted to whatever team you like because you showed up to a basketball tournament. Your imagination can fill in how great that is. Oh also sick Ronnie 2k cameo.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
"wow! is that ronnie 2k over there??? next to Russ" (el westbrook the nba mvp).

Later on: "Hey thanks ronnie" (who is standing next to Kawhi Leonard who you literally do not even acknowledge).

The dude is widely despised by the community and he's getting fellated in the demo version its just embarrassing.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
That may be the joke guys

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
We did it, refunded 2K18 on Steam and preordered Live on PS4.

Looking forward to getting sucked into buying 2K18 the first time it goes on sale.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
wait no we need someone to buy 2k on PC so you can run the cheat engine and write down the stat gains for literally all the archetypes so the rest of us know what we're buying

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Am I the only person 100% on board with being able to choose your team? I don't want to be on the pelicans or the lakers. This way I don't have to wait a whole season to be where I want to be.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zelah posted:

Am I the only person 100% on board with being able to choose your team? I don't want to be on the pelicans or the lakers. This way I don't have to wait a whole season to be where I want to be.

no way I think this story is made of rear end in a top hat but going back to 'just pick your team your agent makes it happen' is 100% a good move.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Lol if you play this for MyCareer and not creating fantasy scenarios in MyLeague

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Duggler posted:

Lol if you play this for MyCareer and not creating fantasy scenarios in MyLeague

Agree. I love making leagues with as many great teams/former MVPs in their prime as possible. Starting with a team that has prime Dirk and trading everything else to get prime AI always leads to super fun teams to play with. I also really love trading picks to random teams for their picks in hope they collapse mid season. If they don't use those picks in a big trade to move up or trade them for another team's picks in the next season's draft. I really hope some crazy fan on the Switch gets really into making draft classes.

I forget which 2k it was but one of the most fun ones on 360 had a lot of hilarious draft classes. One of the best was the POTUS draft class.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 10, 2017

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I would hate this game if I only played the AI. I don't know how ya'll put up with it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm the one putting hundreds of hours into mycareer, ama me on how I'm an expert on animations and predicting what will happen on the next shot

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

RBX posted:

I would hate this game if I only played the AI. I don't know how ya'll put up with it.

It resembles real basketball way more than online play

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RBX posted:

I also like to play with friends locally in exhibition games. It just happens less because I've moved around the country a lot.

also

The Duggler posted:

It resembles real basketball way more than online play

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just played the prelude and it didn't exactly set my world on fire. Gameplay feels like a slight step back from last year which was a big improvement over 2k16. I'm a casual MyTeam player and just want a consistent shot meter in the paint with my center to know how to gauge layups and hook shots. I never seem to get one and always undershoot or overshoot it. I liked the shot meter last year way better. Am I missing something?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does the perimeter defense randomly abandon their guy during half-court plays?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

RBX posted:

I don't understand how anybody puts up with playing it online. In the best case scenarios you're looking at .5-1 second input lag on literally everything. It's loving miserable to play and has been since pretty much ever

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mandrel posted:

I don't understand how anybody puts up with playing it online. In the best case scenarios you're looking at .5-1 second input lag on literally everything. It's loving miserable to play and has been since pretty much ever

pretty much. it feels like online is barely improved since I played online leagues in nba 2k5 on PS2.

e: nothing has changed: https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/espn-nba-2k5-review/1900-6109465/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Duggler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdtLxfbyvmA

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Charles Martel posted:

Just played the prelude and it didn't exactly set my world on fire. Gameplay feels like a slight step back from last year which was a big improvement over 2k16. I'm a casual MyTeam player and just want a consistent shot meter in the paint with my center to know how to gauge layups and hook shots. I never seem to get one and always undershoot or overshoot it. I liked the shot meter last year way better. Am I missing something?

I dunno, without a real practice mode in the demo its hard to tell. Also, I assume your guy has lovely stats too so it may take a bit of grinding to get where you want to get to.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
You can play cavs vs warriors in the 2ku menu to get a feel for the 'real' gameplay.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the cavs/warriors game is a better display. I think gameplay is more or less just a bit above before. Not a huge step up but it does feel better than the prelude did.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sexpig by night posted:

yea the cavs/warriors game is a better display. I think gameplay is more or less just a bit above before. Not a huge step up but it does feel better than the prelude did.

I think they've improved it in a lot of important but relatively small ways, pick and roll play is better in general and in terms of defending specifically, and help defense isn't a 100% binary borderline idiotic yes/no thing where a guy will abandon the player he's guarding no matter the circumstance, etc.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I almost forgot they have the WNBA in Live this year, pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XIowEFKfc

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
In the name of a bit more positive discussion, because I am digging 2k despite my annoyance at other choices they made, what kinda guys did you make in the demo and how'd you like it?

I normally make bigs and my guy in Live is a post scoring big guy, I tried making a speedy little driving and finishing/passing and ball handling SG and found it pretty fun if pretty hampered by general 'it's the prelude I eat poo poo constantly because apparently my dude never played basketball before today' stuff. I don't know if I'll stick with that exact choice but I like having both my normal big guy in Live and something a bit more different for 2k and doing dribble moves and poo poo is always satisfying.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I enjoyed my pg more in Live and my prefer bigs in 2k. The prelude was really bad for my pg

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

the_american_dream posted:

I enjoyed my pg more in Live and my prefer bigs in 2k. The prelude was really bad for my pg

Yeah I had the same experience, I made a PG on my alt account and it really wasn't very fun, but a lot of this was down to the guys in the park games sucking rear end, it felt better once I was playing in the scrimmage games.

I made a 6'11 Rebounding/Slashing PF and he was a blast, upped the weight quite a bit so he's huge and strong and I just bossed all the games I played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, my PG was pretty bad in the park but was more fun in scrimmage.

• Locked thread