Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Chickens meanwhile vividly remember being man-eating theropods and like to angrily remind humans of that at every opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Chickens meanwhile vividly remember being man-eating theropods and like to angrily remind humans of that at every opportunity.

Not that it usually does them much good:

https://twitter.com/ProducerKen/status/906144798888873984/photo/1

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

https://twitter.com/worldbirds38/status/905350559955345408

(apologies if this doesn't work, will edit if need be)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Whoa, that is neat. Like a firebird

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Pretty sure this has been in the thread before but it's still funny.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I saw a rooster peck a garter snake right in the brain to instantly kill it. Then the flock of hens descended upon the corpse and played a fun game of "run away with the dead snake so I can eat it"

They are loving operators and I am so glad they are not the size of a T-rex.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thought of this thread

https://twitter.com/WPLGLocal10/status/906617879222738944

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

LET THEM IN

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
My granddads chooks would run at top speed across the pasture to get to a roadkill whatever. They loved meat....it was scary as a kid to see them tearing a carcass apart. And they had plenty of pellets and scratch too lol

My chooks love frogs and lizards...they hunt them like crazy. They also go for chicken parts too lol cannibals!

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 10, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just got a parakeet and he only seems to chirp when I'm doing dishes or when the washing machine is running.

I think he likes the sound of running water.

Is this normal? Would a small fountain for the room make him happier?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how "normal" it is because that's hard to quantify with parrots, but Judah loved running water. The only non-speech, non-cockatiel noise he ever made was the sound of water burbling in a sink. He loved being on me when I did dishes, not even getting in the water, just fluffed up and talking to it.

:derptiel:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Tendai posted:

I don't know how "normal" it is because that's hard to quantify with parrots, but Judah loved running water. The only non-speech, non-cockatiel noise he ever made was the sound of water burbling in a sink. He loved being on me when I did dishes, not even getting in the water, just fluffed up and talking to it.

:derptiel:

Cricket LOVES to "help" doing dishes. She will chirp and twitter happily the whole time while hanging upside down from my shirt as I do dishes. It's to the point now where if I mention I have to do dishes, she will start saying "Yeah! Yeah? Yeah!"

I think its cos the water is running. Also, she is weirdly fascinated by the refrigerator water dispenser...she goes nuts when she sees it giving out water or ice. No clue why...

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 10, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There seem to be some sounds that most, if not all, parrots are fascinated with/love. Running water is one, whispering and kissy noises are two others I know of

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Tsaedje posted:

There seem to be some sounds that most, if not all, parrots are fascinated with/love. Running water is one, whispering and kissy noises are two others I know of

For Teeka it's hard to describe, but it's me imitating cockatoo hissing that he loves. No matter what, if I make that noise, he's ready to throw down with more hissing of his own. Weird birb

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?

Eejit posted:

For Teeka it's hard to describe, but it's me imitating cockatoo hissing that he loves. No matter what, if I make that noise, he's ready to throw down with more hissing of his own. Weird birb

Pico the GCC does this too! The only thing he'll do on demand. I'm trying to train him to do it when I say "dragon".

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Had to wipe Scout's butt tonight. Birds really are babies.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

mikerock posted:

Had to wipe Scout's butt tonight. Birds really are babies.

According to that Kakapo conservationist's twitter, they have a problem with something he calls "crusty bum disease" (cloacitis I think) which is far funnier than it should be.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 10, 2017

Clary
Jan 6, 2011

What are birds?
We just don't know.
Flamingos seem well mannered.

https://twitter.com/BN9/status/906925600044146689

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Hey folks,

Pemka (our cockatiel) is ill. We're in the middle of calling vets and I've been shoved off to make a post instead.

She's been either having mucus-y vomit or dry heaving off and on. refused water or anything other than pellet/seeds. Not 100% sure what our bird got into, snagged some brisket off a plate we think. No wheezing or anything, just very clearly upset with her digestion.

Any suggestions? Again, already calling vets to find one open.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Ashynn posted:

Hey folks,

Pemka (our cockatiel) is ill. We're in the middle of calling vets and I've been shoved off to make a post instead.

She's been either having mucus-y vomit or dry heaving off and on. refused water or anything other than pellet/seeds. Not 100% sure what our bird got into, snagged some brisket off a plate we think. No wheezing or anything, just very clearly upset with her digestion.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I'd say a quiet, warm place until you find a vet is important. If it isn't too stuffy a walk in closet can be a great place to rehab a bird.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ashynn posted:

Hey folks,

Sounds exactly like what happened to Chirpy when (as it turned out) he managed to scrape a bit of metal off some toy and swallow it. Make sure to see a vet as soon as you can.

Perhaps a penguin
Dec 12, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I once met a bare eyed named BooBoo that loved to say, loudly, " HEWWWWWWWWWWO!" As his little version of hello.

He would also demand to have a person say hello to him and do a dance.

Awesome birb.

Is this at Animal lovers in Torrance?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Perhaps a penguin posted:

Is this at Animal lovers in Torrance?

Holy God it's a small world.

(I don't know 100% but that is certainly a place I've been "parroting" on more than one occasion)

If I ever hook my computer back up I've got a video of Boo Boo. I'll track it down.

Perhaps a penguin
Dec 12, 2009
It's the place, Boo Boo is the poo poo! He is super friendly and a total goofball. They have another bare eye that will extend his claw through his cage bars to beckon you closer, and as soon as you touch it, he puts his head down for many scritches.

I was just there yesterday. I got to handle their blue and gold macaw, who was being a total sweetheart until he lunged at my partner. We went to look at Tommi's new baby cockatiels and ended up coming home with a rescue/certified pre owned conure.

When the bird chooses you, you gotta bring it home.

Perhaps a penguin fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 11, 2017

Perhaps a penguin
Dec 12, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Sounds exactly like what happened to Chirpy when (as it turned out) he managed to scrape a bit of metal off some toy and swallow it. Make sure to see a vet as soon as you can.

Ashynn posted:

Hey folks,

Has her poop been normal?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

It's the place, Boo Boo is the poo poo! He is super friendly and a total goofball. They have another bare eye that will extend his claw through his cage bars to beckon you closer, and as soon as you touch it, he puts his head down for many scritches.

I was just there yesterday. I got to handle their blue and gold macaw, who was being a total sweetheart until he lunged at my partner. We went to look at Tommi's new baby cockatiels and ended up coming home with a rescue/certified pre owned conure.

A bare eyed is my white whale...and Boo Boo still needs a home.

Damnit, I want to get Milo the Gun Store Eclectus!

If I lived alone I'd have about thirty birds.

Perhaps a penguin
Dec 12, 2009
I think Boo Boo is another store mascot of theirs. He's been there for probably 15 or 20 years.

Which gun store? That's awesome!

The ace hardware off Pv drive and sepulveda has an amazon named Paco. He rides around on the shoulders of a few of the shop guys there.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Has her poop been normal?

As far as I've seen, yeah, fairly solid and about on color, I forgot to take her weight before putting them to bed. She's also been behaving fairly normally outside of the vomiting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Now you say this, and yet your post is lacking pictures of said conure...:f5:.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori come here please

I need to take a photo of your eye, see how it's doing

Okay all done thank yo-

WHY

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Did... did Ohtori just decide to take a nap in your hand? :allears:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

He's got his eyes closed while I ask him WHY DID YOU DO THAT and THERE WAS NO NEED TO BITE WHAT THE HECK, just waiting for me to shut up and put him down :v:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've acquired a white bird.

Although this one is not alive. (I hope it's not a gargoyle.)

Perhaps a penguin
Dec 12, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now you say this, and yet your post is lacking pictures of said conure...:f5:.

I hosed up.

Say hi to Whiskey, everyone!

Wide stance: confirmed.

The little dude is a year old. His previous owners moved and said they couldn't take him with, so he was given back to the shop. They gave him a really bad wing trim, so it's going to be a while before he can really try flying, or having anything productive come out of his flip flappin. He's also missing the tip of his left outside toe, possibly an injury from being in the nest. Little dude has got a zillion pin feathers (probably from his first big molt) and a big appetite for scritches. :3: The little spot on his beak is a bruise that is getting grown out.

Do y'all have any advice for helping make a molting bird more comfortable?

Also, here is our other bird

This is Fiddle. He is ridiculous. Kinda dumb. Very flappy. Widest stance. Whistling rockstar in training. Currently learning the pink panther theme.

Perhaps a penguin
Dec 12, 2009

DrakIris posted:

As far as I've seen, yeah, fairly solid and about on color, I forgot to take her weight before putting them to bed. She's also been behaving fairly normally outside of the vomiting.

Hopefully all goes well and she's in top shape soon enough. Watch for undigested seeds in her poop as well as funny colored poop.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Morning update re: Pemka.

She spent a lot of the evening napping on my knee under my desk. Is currently chirping happily and gorging on seed mix as per usual mornings. And water, and daily toy mauling. No sign of vomiting or poop outside of norms.
As of right now seems 100% borb once more. Will continue to observe the darling.

Also,
pineapple conures and whitefaced cockatiels, best combo imo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DrakIris posted:

Birds will hide illness, but when Chirpy was sick his feces was small, solid, and rather dark when he could pass anything at all. If she's pooping normally I'd guess intestinal blockage isn't the problem. Have you been able to schedule an appointment yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

I think Boo Boo is another store mascot of theirs. He's been there for probably 15 or 20 years.

Which gun store? That's awesome!

The ace hardware off Pv drive and sepulveda has an amazon named Paco. He rides around on the shoulders of a few of the shop guys there.

I should have the ability to post pictures soon. (The forums hate iOS) The gun store is literally called something like, "The Gun Store" and is full of hilarious NRA characitures of people and a parrot.

I might be working part time for a half year while or so I heal. I've thought about seeing if they would take a stinking commie liberal like me. :) (it would really just be a plot to make Milo come home with me)