Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KeeganStandifer/status/902793866536943617

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

And why does the US Navy have a couple of warships stationed off the coast, are they going to blow up the hurricane

After what happened to Houston, we will never let the muslims crash another hurricane into us ever again!

"The water is crafty boys, now man the guns and wait for my signal."

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Harbinger73 posted:

Just an ELE theory I posted on Discord:

1. CIG set up a new shell company and transfer the last of the backer funds to it.
  2. CIG declare bankruptcy, the entire development team is laid off and all the current backers are screwed as they end up in the back of any queue for any money that comes from liquidation of unclaimed assets.
  3. Coutts swoops in to claim the IP/Assets they got in the loan deal and set about to hold a public auction to sell them off to the highest bidder.
  4. CIGs new shell company attempts to buy them up with the money they embessled in the dying days.
  5. CIGs new shell company (with Chris Roberts as a silent partner in hiding) announces they're going to bring the game to release but they will be unable to honour anywhere close to CIG's ridiculous list of promises and they definitely won't be able to give everyone who's already paid a copy of the game for free, they will instead offer it at a reduced rate for all backers who lost money.
  6. Profit

I suggested similar a while back:

Quavers posted:

If CIG UK were to fold, and Coutts obtain the assets, could CIG US then buy said assets off Coutts and continue development? I.e. a cunning "dodge paying the bills" company closure?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So are we getting the ELE blog today??

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://twitter.com/tuxedomarx/status/906622748419649536

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://www.reddit.com/user/CyberArmProsthesis

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

So are we getting the ELE blog today??

http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/5764/

Read Derek's post, he has more to come apparently, in addition to the new Cloud Imperium Rights company.

quote:

I have also learned that CIG is going to stop issuing refunds very soon, due to their on-going financial difficulties.

If they do try to stop refunds, that's going to worry a lot of Citizens just by itself.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

That reaction plus the (mostly) positive GlassDoor review means he either-

Didn't actually get laid off
or
Signed something promising non-disparagement that could affect his severance.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

This is all just madness now

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:negative:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Quavers posted:

I suggested similar a while back:

Well, if the loan was secured against the assets and was worth somewhere in the area of 5 million dollars, then they would probably set the price of the auction to secure most, if not all of the loan. So anybody could buy the whole company for 5 million dollars. Nobody in their right mind would want to buy this property so the only possible bidder could be this new CIG Rights company. So they siphon off enough funds to buy up the property with this new company, default on the loan, the bank seizes the IP, puts it up for auction, and CIG Rights wins it by being the only one to bid on the rights?

Well it would be funny if that would absolve them of any and all obligations to deliver anything, including the ships they sold. But they still need to finish the game and if they gently caress everyone over nobody is going to be pledging. It would make more sense just to keep the five million and let the bank keep the worthless IP and assets.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Quoting to add image as he deleted the tweet and is now having an argument with Derek.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

24 y/o jr programmer leaves. I can see why this was such big news now.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

what is a 'vinyl setup'? Like latex, only cheaper?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

big nipples big life posted:

24 y/o jr programmer leaves. I can see why this was such big news now.

What's amusing is that Derek's minions are here pre-hyping the next stupid loving blog.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

I had already written an article (just now published)

Going to summarize this for people who don't want to read it:

<open with stolen goon art>
Self Aggrandizement
I called it in my first blog
I called it in the ELE blog
Here's a link to my blog about their terms of service and how they keep changing it.
Here's a link to my blogs where they denied somebody refunds and then that person went to the CA authorities and they stopped denying refunds.
Here's a link to my blogs about their engine and how it can't work and how I called that they were going to switch to Amazon's.
Here's a link to my blogs about how they're going to ship a MVP and then bail. None of this has happened but I'm right anyway.
Here's about fifty links to my blogs about their financial problems where I've been saying they would run out of money any day now for about two years. Here's a link to my blog about them taking some tax credits in the UK which totally confirms the rest of my blogs. Here's a link to my blog about a rumor posted on reddit that they may or may not be seeking $75m which also totally confirms the rest of my blogs.

Now, the new bit:
Here's a link to my completely empty tweet predicting total failure in the next two week time period.
Vague hand waving about how many people are talking to me.
People say Chris Roberts is looking to get out, and that other people are getting out. Shocking Revelation
People say that Chris Roberts is difficult to work with. Holy poo poo
I can't actually give you any detail on what is going on because my sources etc. etc.
Here is a link to literally the only new piece of information, and it is the new shell corporation as linked in the thread about three or four pages ago.

<close with stolen goon art>

PS this is not a mock post, that is the actual summary of the article.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D1E posted:

What's amusing is that Derek's minion is here pre-hyping the next stupid loving blog.

fixed, there's only one left

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

hot balls man no homo posted:

Well, if the loan was secured against the assets and was worth somewhere in the area of 5 million dollars, then they would probably set the price of the auction to secure most, if not all of the loan. So anybody could buy the whole company for 5 million dollars. Nobody in their right mind would want to buy this property so the only possible bidder could be this new CIG Rights company. So they siphon off enough funds to buy up the property with this new company, default on the loan, the bank seizes the IP, puts it up for auction, and CIG Rights wins it by being the only one to bid on the rights?

Well it would be funny if that would absolve them of any and all obligations to deliver anything, including the ships they sold. But they still need to finish the game and if they gently caress everyone over nobody is going to be pledging. It would make more sense just to keep the five million and let the bank keep the worthless IP and assets.

What if there are other outstanding debts involved, like paying the actors, Imaginarium, CryTek licensing fees, subcontractors, etc? Wipe out that debt, and New 3.0 Company carries on with the statement "all backer rewards are safe, keep pledging and we'll get the games finished and released!"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Golli posted:

gimp suit

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quavers posted:

What if there are other outstanding debts involved, like paying the actors, Imaginarium, CryTek licensing fees, subcontractors, etc? Wipe out that debt, and New 3.0 Company carries on with the statement "all backer rewards are safe, keep pledging and we'll get the games finished and released!"

So many LOLs to be had if this comes true.

Keep pledging people!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Quavers posted:

So the company goes bankrupt, nobody gets paid, debtors get invited to a meeting held by the bank, assets are scooped up and sold back to the guy who owned the company to begin with and he's back in business in 2 weeks.

Is that what I'm looking at here

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Golli posted:

:gary: Get a refund.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Harassing some kid who just left his job is peak loving comedy. I'm glad I was here to witness this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

So the company goes bankrupt, nobody gets paid, debtors get invited to a meeting held by the bank, assets are scooped up and sold back to the guy who owned the company to begin with and he's back in business in 2 weeks.

Also I really don't see how this holds up. As much as I'd like it to be true there is no way it's not against the law in everyone of the 14 countries they are set up in.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

peter gabriel posted:

They'll use peanuts

instead of a time out, just make criminal levels time out due to higher and higher levels of diarrhea

i mean, it's already a mechanic in game

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

peter gabriel posted:

Man what a lovely, grubby project this is

how have they not blocked you on twitter? I said like one negative thing to wtfosaurus and I was banned within minutes.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MarcusSA posted:

Also I really don't see how this holds up. As much as I'd like it to be true there is no way it's not against the law in everyone of the 14 countries they are set up in.

It worked for a major building firm here a few years ago. I have a family member who was owed 20 odd grand, and the building firm was back up and running the next year. I just never understood the mechanics of how it was possible before.

Read Loxbourne's posts.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

AP posted:

Quoting to add image as he deleted the tweet and is now having an argument with Derek.

It's worth archiving these as images too:

e: I should refresh before posting.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

So, the Derek method:

1) Make an ambiguous reference to an apocalyptic ending for CIG.
2) Thread laughs at you, but a couple industrious people start rooting around and turn up some dirt.
3) Immediately post the dirt and claim it is what you were predicting all along.
4) Repeat for two plus years.

:negative:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'd really like to see a grand unified theory of CIG failure. So far we have 5 competing theories, all called in advance by Derek:

1) CIG releases a minimum viable product, denies refunds, enters an eternal twilight of little/no development while continuing to sell spaceships. Chris Roberts leaves, declaring job done.
2) CIG receives some kind of miracle investment on top of all their existing financial commitments. Chris is removed from the project as a condition of this buyout. Star Citizen is saved.
3) CIG declares bankruptcy and/or abruptly fails financially. Employees and backers are left holding the bag. Chris Roberts departs in shame and ignominy forever.
4) CIG defaults on loan and through some kind of financial shenanigans retains all rights to its assets through a shell company. Employees and backers are left holding the bag. Chris Roberts... continues making Star Citizen forever?
5) CIG turns out to be a front for a Russian billionaire to launder their money into the US/UK and get around the Magnitsky act- fleecing a few nerds was just a bonus. Chris Roberts is revealed to be Sergei Rostislav. The whole operation disappears overnight or is purchased by Daybreak Games. Lethality tweets that this is a positive turn of events.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

SomethingJones posted:

That's sort of like "winning" the rights to the Fyre Festival. "Sure, the people who gave me $150 million wound up with nothing, but you should invest millions with me anyway" isn't the greatest pitch to get CIG 2.0 off the ground.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Warhawk109 posted:

So it just occurred to me, that one of the reasons for constantly shifting development resources between SC and SQ42, and delaying SQ42 in particular, is the UK video games tax relief. If they actually finish SQ42, no more tax credits, correct? Also, could they potentially get in trouble for having F42 work on things related to SC, which hasn't met the sufficiently "British" cultural test, instead of dutifully meeting their obligations to complete the game that falls under the tax relief?

I think this is uncharted territory since most game companies are just...you know....making a game?

The tax credits aren't usually dealing with an incestuous hydra of scams involving worldwide facilities tied up in over a dozen shell corporations working on what is apparently a quantum superposition of all games at all times

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I think this is uncharted territory since most game companies are just...you know....making a game?

The tax credits aren't usually dealing with an incestuous hydra of scams involving worldwide facilities tied up in over a dozen shell corporations working on what is apparently a quantum superposition of all games at all times

And how many companies would you need to create a computer game?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's kind of wacky how it all started but he basically voiced concern about the feature bloat Star Citizen had as it was getting more money and seemingly promising to do more and more when it hadn't really achieved the basics, and did so in a fairly public way while he was a backer because by his own account personal attempts to reach out to CIG were ignored completely. CIG responded to his criticism by refunding him, banning him from their forums, and claiming (falsely) he'd been using forums access to advertise his own game Line of Defense. They also did some attempts at shaming/discrediting him by claiming through their data he had never touched Arena Commander or anything like that even once under his account (even though that wasn't what he'd been talking about).

So basically one of the most famously outspoken and combative internet game dev personalities spoke out about something, and CIG responded by going full attack on him and I guess thought that Derek Smart of all people would slink off into the shadows with his tail between his legs? Since then it's basically been a quest for vindication, and as more crazies piled into Derek about this he's been furiously rubbing in preparation for the day he can unequivocally say "I was right"

Yeah, that's basically it. I even wrote a blog about my position. It's short :grin:

Star Citizen - How I Got Involved

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ZenMaster posted:

how have they not blocked you on twitter? I said like one negative thing to wtfosaurus and I was banned within minutes.

I don't think they know what to do with me tbh.
I half expected a game ban, or similar by now. I can even post on Spectrum although lol gently caress that

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Derek I am going to level with you, I've never clicked a single one of your links

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hey man, I enjoy your comedy stylings as much as anyone. But you've gotta stop pre-hyping these minor updates. Like, the day the payroll checks start bouncing, what are you going to post that could possibly grab attention? You haven't got anything left to escalate the rhetoric.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Dogeh posted:

And how many companies would you need to create a computer game?

We're 14 companies in already, so I reckon 15 would be ideal. Any more than that and it would start to get stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Hmm, a comment removed. Let's check dox SpacePanteloons...