Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

wicka posted:

They don’t have to see good potential. There’s literally no risk for Red Bull.

I mean, yes and no. Toro Rosso wouldn't take a total dogshit engine with no hope, they have their goals too, but I can see it being a "lets evaluate its actual potential, if it's crap at least we get $xxx." They'd have to have an escape plan there to get Renault engines back if the Honda remains a complete turd.

I think the Honda will at least equal the Renault engine, eventually. They've come a long way this year already, and look at how much it improved last year before they hit reset.

It's going to be interesting to see how McLaren go compared to Red Bull next year using the same engine. I have a feeling they're going to get curbstomped. They'll probably be midpack, around FI/Williams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

Couldn’t he have stayed at Williams? I thought he was just demanding more money.

Williams had already decided to replace him with Frentzen at the start of the year

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Yamaha engine was only done because Cosworth refused to buy Yamaha's five valve heads because they were poo poo. The decision to build a full engine was really loving bizarre.

Dudley posted:

Yeah, even in 1984 it was good for a 1st and a 2nd. They're not even in that county right now.

It has to be said that the win in Dallas was completely down to Keke Rosberg and having watched that race I'm not sure how that car got to the end with the amount of visible chassis flex it had.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Hill to Arrows is probably one of the strangest moves I've seen a defending world champion make. Part of the A18s competitiveness came from the fact it was on Bridgestones.

I think I've heard him say that he basically wanted a one year contract to see what was going to happen at McLaren and that was the only place that would give him one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
From what I've heard the Honda in 84 wasn't bad, the Williams chassis was either undrivably bad, or just totally unsuited for the engine's power delivery, depending on who you ask.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is there any driver that Head didn't piss off and force out of Williams other than Alan Jones?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

From what I've heard the Honda in 84 wasn't bad, the Williams chassis was either undrivably bad, or just totally unsuited for the engine's power delivery, depending on who you ask.

Mansell said the throttle response was complete poo poo compared to the Renault. Head said the chassis issue was actually the engine flexing and the mount points on the engine would always be completely mangled at the end of a race, I think the Williams was atleast part to blame for that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It was the latter. The RA164E was a severely laggy motor though.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
There's a very good passage in the Williams book about why Frank dropped Damon.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
This is Patrick Head talking.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
And yeah Frank had been tapping up HHF for 97 who declined cause he was contracted to Sauber. Frank wasn't sure at all about Damons consistency.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well now they have two drivers who are consistent in being BAD!

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 10, 2017

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So what the gently caress just happened? Saint to Renault and McLaren get Renault motors?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GramCracker posted:

So what the gently caress just happened? Saint to Renault and McLaren get Renault motors?

Sainz, and so it seems. Honda moves to Toro Rosso.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Carlos Sainz the big winner in this, not easy to get away from Red Bull and stay in F1.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm happy for the lad, needs to get away from the Red Bull machine if he wants to get a shot at a WDC, no way he can elbow past Ricciardo and Verstappen anytime soon.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The real question is why on earth has Red Bull persisted with Kvyat? gently caress Russians forever and all but surely he doesn't have that much backing of whatever oligarch is backing him?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They pulled all the money they had in Indy for him

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

The real question is why on earth has Red Bull persisted with Kvyat? gently caress Russians forever and all but surely he doesn't have that much backing of whatever oligarch is backing him?

They've got nobody in the pipeline, Gasly was the last guy they had who wasn't in karting or Formula Ford.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
He's being a bedwarmer until Newey Jr has his superlicence. Newey Jr doesn't need to be any good but giving him a seat will bribe Newey Snr to keep on designing cars for RBR.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Williams had already decided to replace him with Frentzen at the start of the year

I've read a bunch about this because his move to Arrows has always morbidly fascinated me in how bizarre it was, the general gist I've gotten is that Williams considered him too inconsistent to be a #1 driver and he was only given that role because of Senna's death. His repeated mistakes in 1995 pretty much sealed his fate with the team and he vastly overestimated his worth after winning the WDC in 1996, even despite Frentzen having already signed. Arrows were the only team willing to pay what he wanted because of Pedro Diniz bringing pay driver money in, and like Villeneuve with BAR a few years later, he thought he could create a team around him to take on Schumacher.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So Sainz > renault
gasly > toro rosso
palmer > garbage bin

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

Powershift posted:

palmer > garbage bin

Hey 1500quid, keep an eye out for the lad the next time you're digging around next to the porta toilets

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rhopunzel posted:

I've read a bunch about this because his move to Arrows has always morbidly fascinated me in how bizarre it was, the general gist I've gotten is that Williams considered him too inconsistent to be a #1 driver and he was only given that role because of Senna's death. His repeated mistakes in 1995 pretty much sealed his fate with the team and he vastly overestimated his worth after winning the WDC in 1996, even despite Frentzen having already signed. Arrows were the only team willing to pay what he wanted because of Pedro Diniz bringing pay driver money in, and like Villeneuve with BAR a few years later, he thought he could create a team around him to take on Schumacher.

Yeah, Arrows in 1997 was pretty much considered a brand new team and Tom Walkinshaw's name still carried a lot of weight, since he had succeeded in every other form of racing he'd owned cars in and hadn't proven to be a failure as an F1 team owner yet.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

McGuinty posted:

Hey 1500quid, keep an eye out for the lad the next time you're digging around next to the porta toilets

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah, Arrows in 1997 was pretty much considered a brand new team and Tom Walkinshaw's name still carried a lot of weight, since he had succeeded in every other form of racing he'd owned cars in and hadn't proven to be a failure as an F1 team owner yet.

It's too bad he basically halted development on the FA17 because it seemed like a promising car. Terrible driver pairing though.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Man, I'm going to laugh so much when Alonso is consistently beaten by a Toro-Rosso- Honda next year :).

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

What.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Trumpcare.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

:vince:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
honda buying TR makes more sense to me than Mcalenre making rbr the works honda team

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Formula1_Jeep.jpg

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Why do you think the title is what it is now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Poor imitation of the Korean Death Jeep imo

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Poor imitation of the Korean Death Jeep imo

Bet Korean Death Jeep was driven by a North Korean saboteur. I'd bet it was the same driver as was in the JCB that ended Bianchi. :tinfoil:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

iospace posted:

Why do you think the title is what it is now.

Sounds like loving a breadstick?

What does that have to do with an ambulance apparently in the middle of a bunch of high speed vehicles?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

MotoGP is totally going to race in conditions that F1 won't even start in.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Whitey Ford posted:

MotoGP is totally going to race in conditions that F1 won't even start in.

Let's see how moto3 goes before they allow more riders to redecorate the gravel traps

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
NY STATE OF MIND

https://twitter.com/lewishamilton/status/906816758400606209

I'm the dorky rear end socks

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Phwoar, what a pic, this really exposes Rosberg's instagram as the no-talent, GP2 feed that it is. Liked, retweeted and bought the shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
F1 drivers' social media feeds are a gift.

• Locked thread