Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Hey I've got a client with a sort of complicated corporate/investment structure, and I'd really like to draw out a diagram of what entity owns what entity so I can wrap my head around all of it. Anyone have software recommendations for something like that?

Edit: I guess if it's just for me I can use pen and paper.

If your company has one of those flow chart programs I'd try that, but it may just be easier to do on paper/in MS Paint. Or hell, do it in Powerpoint, they have shapes that you can leash lines to!!!

e: New page should prob quote and put something interesting so let's put up a picture from this very realistic film depiction of an accountant's life

"Do you know what it feels like to make someone whole again?!"
"YES I DO (financially)" :killing:

e2: Also I've asked this before, but does anyone here have experience with forensic accounting, either on the hunting/gathering side or on the litigation side? Something I'm really super duper interested in long-term and just interested to hear anything about it whatsoever.

black.lion fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Hellblazer187 posted:

Hey I've got a client with a sort of complicated corporate/investment structure, and I'd really like to draw out a diagram of what entity owns what entity so I can wrap my head around all of it. Anyone have software recommendations for something like that?

Edit: I guess if it's just for me I can use pen and paper.

MS Visio is like the one stop shop for diagrams of all sorts.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah we use Visio or PowerPoint for our restructuring decks. Hands down best method is to make a first year draw it though

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What are the grooming standards like for the big four? There's a job fair coming up this week that the big four will be at. This will be the first contact I've had with any of them but I would like to make a good impression so I need to know if I should shave my beard or not. It's groomed and neat but it's still a bunch of hair on my face.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

What are the grooming standards like for the big four? There's a job fair coming up this week that the big four will be at. This will be the first contact I've had with any of them but I would like to make a good impression so I need to know if I should shave my beard or not. It's groomed and neat but it's still a bunch of hair on my face.

I would advise shave the beard, but if you look weird without it then keep it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
The most important thing in networking is standing out and making sure they remember you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
Are exit opps for tax limited to, like, industry tax, or can you pivot to sr accountant/financial analyst like someone that went into audit?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Kitchner posted:

I would advise shave the beard, but if you look weird without it then keep it.

I think it also depends on the market.

In Portland and Seattle for instance I doubt anyone would give a poo poo if you have a beard as long as it isn't awful.

Also positives on my end,

I got out of the account-temping cycle and got hired on as a Staff Accountant at company down in Portland (yay) and made a proportionally huge raise over my previous jobs + benefits, plus not having to live in Seattle. Its not the highest paying in the world, but the hours are way better than any of my friends and crunching the hours to salary I think I come out ahead.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 11, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I'm in London so maybe that is making me bias. I think you can get away with a beard, but not as a new hire. Unless you're applying for some sort of role meaning you'll work with quite trendy hipster clients.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Are exit opps for tax limited to, like, industry tax, or can you pivot to sr accountant/financial analyst like someone that went into audit?

Well, anyone can pivot their career in any way that they wish, especially if they're willing to start at a lower pay rung for a few years. It does depend on how specialized you are; if you're a SALT expert then you would be well-regarded for industry tax positions only. If you have your CPA, that will help tremendously.

Aside from that, there are good opportunities in the mid-sized business market for former tax people to transition to industry generalist. A company with a smallish accounting department might be looking for a controller with a tax background as GAAP is not universal if the business is not beholden to the SEC or the banks. That's what I did, although it did help that I had some general ledger experience within my primarily tax role.

The smaller the accounting department, the bigger of a fish you will look like. For better and for worse.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
You guys feelin #auditorproud?????

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I got a call today from someone who said they work for a CPA firm and was looking for a temp to handle the next busy season. He was dodgy on giving the name, but gave me the address. I agreed to an interview. I've been out of work since August. On unemployment. I look up the address and...it's an H&R Block.

So, like, how bad is that going to be? I'll go to the interview and, if its for the next busy season, my unemployment would be running out about that time so it's probably worth a paycheck. But, like, what am I looking at here?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

$8 an hour plus commission, and then at the end of the season they take that hourly pay back out of the commission you make.

What's keeping you from better work? I say this as someone who is also unemployed, but trying to get the CPA and 150 hours done rather than taking on something like that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Moneyball posted:

What's keeping you from better work?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Also, I might just cancel that's how bad it is. The only problem is that people are yelling at me to take it because " it will count as experience." A little bit of advice, never open up to a family member about your job troubles. Especially your parent. They will know absolutely nothing about your field and will demand you take any job. I'm 90% certain this wouldn't even count as work experience for the jobs I normally go for.

Covok fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 1, 2017

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I read your back posts in this thread and looks like you've had your ups and downs like I've had. At least you were originally hired by one of the Big 4. I can't even get a small CPA firm to hire me.

You're in CT, right? There might not be as many opportunities as where I am in Boston, or down in NY, but there should be enough jobs out there. You're working the temp agencies and networking, right?

I've turned down a number of invitations to apply for a position because I'm busy with grad school/the CPA now and they are private accounting or AR jobs, but if I had the credits and exams done, I would be aggressively applying. I wouldn't work for HR Block at this point. Even less of a chance if I had your background.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Moneyball posted:

I read your back posts in this thread and looks like you've had your ups and downs like I've had. At least you were originally hired by one of the Big 4. I can't even get a small CPA firm to hire me.

You're in CT, right? There might not be as many opportunities as where I am in Boston, or down in NY, but there should be enough jobs out there. You're working the temp agencies and networking, right?

I've turned down a number of invitations to apply for a position because I'm busy with grad school/the CPA now and they are private accounting or AR jobs, but if I had the credits and exams done, I would be aggressively applying. I wouldn't work for HR Block at this point. Even less of a chance if I had your background.

Yeah, I'm not going to work there. Like I said earlier, the phonecall went "hey, I work for this CPA firm and we're looking for people" and he was dodgy on the name. Wouldn't know it was H&R block if I didn't check myself. I'll attend the interview to be polite since its not far, but I don't really plan to work there. It's 8 USD/hr and it won't count as experience, especially not more so than my prior experience. Unless someone who knows more can convince me otherwise, I'm not gonna do it.

As for where I like, I don't live in CT. I live on Long Island. I've been trying to get work. I don't know what's going on. I'm working with a lot of temp agencies, I've put out my resume like 30 times a week to a lot of job opportunities, and I got good experience and I've had people look over my resume a lot of times, but I've only been one actual face-to-face interview. Got two phone interviews.

Nothing. No offers. It's insane, really.

I'm doing something wrong, but no one tells you poo poo. They just want to gently caress off and die. Fun fact: you don't get the job, the recruiting agency won't tell ya. They'll just stop taking your calls and assume you realize that means you didn't get the job.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Do you have your 150 hours and the CPA completed? If that's your goal, I mean.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I heard from some colleagues alot of overhiring and layoffs last year happened in the industry, especially among the big 4. It might be affecting your ability to re-hire. I heard they didn't hire a lot of graduates this year either due to all this. A lot of laid off people with more experienced and a lot of grads with a spot free record might be able to eat up all your job opportunities.

For that matter, what do you say when you ask why you are no longer with your company?

Zoro fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 1, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Moneyball posted:

Do you have your 150 hours and the CPA completed? If that's your goal, I mean.

I have 150 hours and I am going to sit for the exam. I don't believe I have enough verified accounting work to actually get the license.

pat_b
Feb 14, 2009
Fallen Rib
I'm in the beginning throes of getting an accounting degree - hoping to work my way into the MSA program where I am - and am taking just the basics now (financial accounting in the spring, so I'm starting from the very beginning).

I'm almost 30 and have rent and bills to pay and we don't make a lot of money right now, so I'm not super flexible to be unpaid; where can I start getting experience? I want to do internships but when is the time to start looking? After intermediate?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I know people who are doing/did internships at small local firms during their first intermediate course, and a few of them never left the firm and now work full time. The firm I am planning on working for does summer internships between your junior and senior year. I’m doing it between my senior year and grad school.

With internships, It doesn’t hurt to start looking early. But it can suck if you start looking too late.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Some of the big 4 have internships that start shockingly early. It’s not a real deal internship that gets you an almost guaranteed offer at the end but you’ll get a decent amount of cash for the short time period and if you’re planning to go big 4 it’s good resume fuel. The real job offer type internships are usually the summer before your final year I think

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
So, I started my first accounting job here in Australia at the age of thirty, and I have to say, I think I've made a decent choice in staying local (I live in a fairly rural part of the world). I'm not 100% but talking to my colleagues it sounds like those that work for any big firms in the big citys end up very pigeonholed. One lady who works near me has done so much super work in the city that she has ended up doing just about every super fund the partnership has, whereas I've only been working less then six months, and I've done Financial reports, BAS's, Audits, I've touched just about every job that we do, and it's incredibly interesting.

It probably doesn't hurt that the Partner that I work for (and, seemingly, the others) is super generous, and has no problem with me working as little or as much as I want as at the moment I'm still finishing uni. The decision I have to make now is after graduating, do I want to tackle CPA or CA, the partners are super leaning towards CA, but I think it will be much tougher. Any Australian accountants have any advice?

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
Anyone used Roger to prep for the cpa? FAR's scheduled for a little over 3 weeks for now, and I'm about 75% through the lectures, averaging ~80% on the MCQs. Am I good to go, or should I also spring for Ninja/exammatrix/Wiley banks?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I am finally employed again! It's a bit of a pay cut, but it's 5 minutes from my house, includes health insurance, and seems to be a lot lighter than my old job. Frankly, I'm just happy not to be unemployed anymore. Also, my old job had a minimum of an hour and a half each way in transportation everyday and it often took longer. A 10-minute drive everyday to work is so much nicer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'll be starting work again in 10 days. I'm a little worried that being out of work for about six months (only 3 offically) made me a bit rusty. Anyone know a good place to test your practical knowledge again? Like a good place to just do some sample returns to make sure that I haven't forgotten anything important and won't embarrass myself?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I have a background in engineering and want to self study the basics of accounting so I have an extra small skillset and can prep for business school in a few years. Are there any online resources, books textbooks, courses, etc that anyone would recommend that I could use to self study? I have no background at all, and don't need to be an expert but would appreciate some recommendations!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Quandary posted:

I have a background in engineering and want to self study the basics of accounting so I have an extra small skillset and can prep for business school in a few years. Are there any online resources, books textbooks, courses, etc that anyone would recommend that I could use to self study? I have no background at all, and don't need to be an expert but would appreciate some recommendations!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqkk9omr3sc

follow this series. probably the easiest to understand and follow that i've found.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Thank you, that looks comprehensive and the first few videos I watched this evening look excellent!

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
Hey everyone, interested in becoming a CPA in California...

Background
-Marine Corps veteran (5 years)
-Morgan Stanley internship in their Financial Training Program
-Just finished my Bachelors in Economics from UC Davis
-Been looking for work for the majority of 2017
-Landed a handful of interviews with no offers

I feel like I've been in a major slump since I graduated. I've applied to literally hundreds of jobs, landed a handful of interviews with no offers. Since I still have 24 months to use from my Post 9/11 GI Bill (govt pays me to go to school), I'm currently knocking out more accounting courses at City College of San Francisco.

Questions
-In California, to sit for the CPA exams, do I need X amount of hours working as an accountant? Or is it just the education requirements?
-How the hell do I find an accounting job?!
-I've applied to dozens of positions, and never hear back. When I do hear back, its a rejection email.
-Obviously with only an Economics degree, I don't have nearly all/any of the specific skills and requirements employers look for.
-I'm guessing internships is my best option

Thanks for any advice.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

mad_Thick posted:

Background

I feel like I've been in a major slump since I graduated. I've applied to literally hundreds of jobs, landed a handful of interviews with no offers. Since I still have 24 months to use from my Post 9/11 GI Bill (govt pays me to go to school), I'm currently knocking out more accounting courses at City College of San Francisco.

Questions
-In California, to sit for the CPA exams, do I need X amount of hours working as an accountant? Or is it just the education requirements?
-I've applied to dozens of positions, and never hear back. When I do hear back, its a rejection email.
-Obviously with only an Economics degree, I don't have nearly all/any of the specific skills and requirements employers look for.

Thanks for any advice.

A quick search for the Cali requirements to sit showed me:
No minimum age requirement
Bachelor’s degree or higher
24 semester hours in accounting subjects above the intro level and 24 semester hours in business-related courses

To get licensed you need to have a years worth of qualifying work but you don't need work experience to sit for the exam itself.

I don't live in Cali but in my area it was pretty impossible to get an entry level accounting job without at least one accounting internship. Unless its changed in the last few years an internship would be pretty desirable. I'm sure someone else can chime in with more accurate advice though.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

mad_Thick posted:

Background

Questions

Thanks for any advice.

Does your school have any sort of accounting or business club? If they do join it and start networking so you can find out the recruiting process of local firms. If the club is good they should have events where you can speak with hiring managers who can answer your questions and hopefully give you some advice on getting a internship/job at their firm.

The school I’m at has a good Beta Alpha Psi organization that is accounting focused. It was useful for figuring out how fall recruiting worked and helped me land an internship with a local midsize CPA firm. Checkout what resources your school has.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Might be easier to get a CMA. Check your local chapter to see if they have monthly meetings you can join and network at.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I did 5 phone calls today on the new tax bill and prepaying property taxes. I am on lunch now. Who wants to guess at the number of calls I'll have to follow-up on when I get back.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The answer was 6. 6 people I had to call back on their property taxes.

I got nothing done today.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Covok posted:

I got nothing done today.

It’s called billable hours. You got lots of things done.

(I’ve worked more this week between Christmas and New Year’s than I think I ever have. Make hay while the sun shines!)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Missing Donut posted:

It’s called billable hours. You got lots of things done.

(I’ve worked more this week between Christmas and New Year’s than I think I ever have. Make hay while the sun shines!)

My office doesn't do billable hours. Not my new one.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Didnt the IRS say yesterday "nope nvm cant prepay anything except mb sales tax, mb"?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
They did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

No, they said that your bill must be assessed in 2017. This simply means that the bill must be created before 2018. So, you can prepay things. You just have to have the bill already assessed. There's still a lot of people who can prepay. Hell, there was a lot of people who pay on January 10th normally and received a bill months ago. They are 100% an example A of the article you linked.

I remember actually having to send that article around the office.

And, regardless, most people probably don't even know the IRS has website. Even less would check it first before calling their accountant.

Edit: as another example, today, I got called by a guy who had his entire 2018 bill because he always gets it in November and payment is due in January and July. Because the bill was assessed before 2018 for the 2018 year, he can prepay it.

Also, Long Island is cut into so many townships that it's hard to when their bill is assesed. So you have to ask them if they know. If they have a bill already, then that's good. If they don't, you have to tell them to contact their Township and see if they assess in 2017 and didn't send out bills yet. Cuz that might still count. And, even before that, you have to check if they itemized in 2016, if they didn't itemize you have to check if they would if they did multiple payments in 2016, you have to make sure they're not subject to AMT, you have to make sure they would be above the threshold for salt, you have to check if their itemized would be eaten by the standard in 2018. I think that's it. And then you gotta explain it all because they want to know. You got to tell them the entire process of doing it, especially if they have their payments normally handled by their mortgage because that's requires them to send proof back to their Bank.

And, then, we have to explain that you can't tell them what their taxes will exactly be in 2018 because you'd basically have to do their entire tax return with no information. All you can say is that this will decrease their deductions, but there's no way of telling if the net will still be negative.

Then, we got to deal with them looking for reassurance is their taxes aren't going to go up by like $20,000 and this will require you to explained the nature of taxable income and tax brackets. Yes this happened multiple times that people kind of freaked out and I need to quickly explain to them that they would not see an increase in taxes of like $30,000. People, shockingly, really know their property taxes ( probably had the bill in front of them) and people around here pay a lot so some people's deductions would drop from by like 30000 to $50,000. I'm not joking. But, as we know, that's not increase in taxes, it's an increase of taxable income. I mean, it's still really bad for those people, but not as bad as they thought. And they're not all rich either. Some of them are middle-class and have this much taxes and seeing humongous increases in their taxable income like this.

And, you got a deal with them going on political rants. They will yell and yell and yell about Trump. I mean I hate Trump. It's not really a secret around here. But, I had just have to keep saying that I don't talk politics, specially at work, and essentially have to sit through it because I don't want to be rude to a client.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 29, 2017