Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

peter gabriel posted:

oh god make it end

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

G0RF posted:

Ah well that explains it.

It was a pretty genteel Glassdoor review, really -- made it seem like a positive place to work aside from AC failures that get ignored too long, a non-confidence inspiring CEO and glacial pace of game development progress concerns...

I posted in the context that it could be evidence that he wasn't actually laid off, but not dispositive.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Looks like uncle Derek is back at it again. Stop creeping on the teens Derek.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

SomethingJones posted:

Do it.

I'm working but I have about half an hour of downtime right now so just post a link

Having some difficulties, but boom, hopefully this will work: https://www.twitch.tv/mrtophat_sa

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

My brother just bought himself Elite Dangerous today for his PS4. He has a nice big screen in front of the couch and I have been getting messages from him all day detailing his experiences in getting to grips with the game. He has been so blown away by it. He said, "Everything is so realistic and... correct"

His new user experiences mirror my own from way back in the ED public beta. Even then ED was pretty drat amazing to pick up and dive into. It's been a real trip for me today watching him get sucked into the game.

I've just sent him these screenshots.

Also MoMA if you are reading this, he's also on the west coast so if you ever fancy taking a drive south for a couple of hours to swap space stories and drink some great local beers you are more than welcome.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Hey man, I enjoy your comedy stylings as much as anyone. But you've gotta stop pre-hyping these minor updates. Like, the day the payroll checks start bouncing, what are you going to post that could possibly grab attention? You haven't got anything left to escalate the rhetoric.

I know. But I'm not going to blurt out stuff sources say not to, just get lols. And plus I'm a Goon; so the likelihood of me trolling the poo poo out of it in the interim, while waiting until I can actually write about it, is pretty high. So. :colbert:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

SomethingJones posted:

My brother just bought himself Elite Dangerous today for his PS4.

reeeeee and such. that's no way to save pc gaming! :mad:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

lol

https://twitter.com/tuxedomarx/status/906648231962169345

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Berious posted:

reeeeee and such. that's no way to save pc gaming! :mad:

I know, I know

I told him all about headtracking and needing a joystick and all that, and the amount of time you need to put into it, and the learning curve etc... and he still couldn't resist it.

Tophat got you on a screen now, if it works awesome if not gently caress it no worries

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/906651643827159040

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Derek does it again, surprise surprise

Sorry SomethingJones I'm struggling with Shadowplay to get this loving twitch stream going. Looks like I'm going to have to actually use some proper software.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Hey ex developer guy or whatever

This might be weird advice but don't publicly livepost a meltdown about the SA star citizen thread on twitter. People will gently caress with you on both places and you are apparently unable to avoid that somehow.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SomethingJones posted:

Tophat got you on a screen now, if it works awesome if not gently caress it no worries

Offline for me, I want a live tophat!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Mr.Tophat posted:

Derek does it again, surprise surprise

Sorry SomethingJones I'm struggling with Shadowplay to get this loving twitch stream going. Looks like I'm going to have to actually use some proper software.

Dont' stress man I'll have it on in the background here

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

Cloud Imperium Rights Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of CIG UK LTD.

It is most likely going to house whatever IP they bought in 2015.

Reminder of the activity of CIG UK LTD. It appears to do three things:

1.) It bought Foundry 42 Ltd from Erin Roberts et al for £440k in 2014.
2.) It funnels cash from the US via its subsidiary (Roberts Space Industries Ltd). This cash then goes to its other subsidiary (Foundry 42 Ltd).
3.) It bought some kind of IP in 2015. It paid £1.36m for the IP. It sold IP for a profit of £655k in 2015. It showed a book value at year end for IP of £1.36m.

Whatever that IP activity was in the third point is probably being moved to the new subsidiary. It is possible they could sell this subsidiary or something. It's unclear just exactly what this IP was that they bought/sold in 2015 that maintained the full book value that they paid for it. It's possible they just love incorporating companies and Ortwin needed some busy work to justify writing an invoice for some legal fees.

1) What IP did they buy in 2015, which would require a whole new shell company two years later. In the UK. And which company bought it that it can't hang on to it?

2) What about the 14 other companies, of which 3 are already in the UK (F42, CIG, RSI), and 1 in GER (all part of the EU), for a total of 4 companies they could use?

My guess is that unknown IP is related to either Star Citizen or SQ42. They basically just shifted it around and sold it back to themselves, thus taking money out of the entities.

There's some really shady poo poo going on, and between the Coutts loan and this new CIR entity, there's a lot more to this than meets the eye. I am still digging though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
so the latest chapter of the ELE was some nobody leaving CIG and them creating another shell company?

thanks Derek, not sure what we would do without you

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Mr.Tophat posted:

Yeah the nVidia software craps up from time to time. I just use OBS.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Welp. Just updated Shadowplay and now it won't broadcast at all. Gosh darn it! I click on broadcast and it won't even respond. It at least told me that it was doing something before. Mrr. Gunna keep trying. Don't lose hope true believers!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dogeh posted:

Yeah the nVidia software craps up from time to time. I just use OBS.

Alright, sweet, gunna use that instead like I should have done to begin with. Thank you commando.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Aarkithrax/status/906647133687734273

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Mr.Tophat posted:

Alright, sweet, gunna use that instead like I should have done to begin with. Thank you commando.

Twitch setup here: https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mr.Tophat posted:

Welp. Just updated Shadowplay and now it won't broadcast at all. Gosh darn it! I click on broadcast and it won't even respond. It at least told me that it was doing something before. Mrr. Gunna keep trying. Don't lose hope true believers!

Are you trying to play Star Citizen because if so the troubleshooting will be totally different to other games.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

I'm the canny decision to license a character creation system from a company whose upcoming game features a single non customizable male protagonist.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

We couldn't even poo poo out a basic character creator so we're leasing one from a company that knows what it is doing.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

starkebn posted:

so the latest chapter of the ELE was some nobody leaving CIG and them creating another shell company?

thanks Derek, not sure what we would do without you

A shell company registered with the function of handling patents and IP rights.

Just after they secured a loan putting their only IP as collateral.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Golli posted:

I posted in the context that it could be evidence that he wasn't actually laid off, but not dispositive.

ah, now I get it.

Yeah, I just assumed there was maybe other turnover in Austin afoot recently.

Austin is the red-headed stepchild of the cig family, so the AC story played to my stereotype of them having to scrimp for resources while LA, the U.K. and the German wizards lack for nothing. Absent the anecdote I'd not have bothered, but since LA even has a working barista it seemed amusing that Austin had to go without a working AC for awhile...

If the Glassdoor screencap contributed to outside drama for present or former cig little people, I rather wish I'd not dropped it in. Roberts is the one who should be feeling the heat these days, not the minions in Austin.

:same:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I bet people like you were strangled during the telegraph era

(telegraph operator eagerly awaiting message)
*tapping furiously starts*

BE PREPARED FOR MESSAGE TO ARRIVE
STOP
MESSAGE WILL BE OF INORDINATE LENGTH
STOP
CAN NOT YET SEND MESSAGE AS HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN CLEARANCE
STOP
WILL UPDATE YOU WHEN CLEARANCE HAS BEEN GIVEN
STOP
BE WARNED MESSAGE IS EVEN MORE URGENT THAN YOU THOUGHT
STOP
YOUR WILDEST IMAGININGS PALE IN COMPARISON TO MESSAGE THAT WILL BE ARRIVING
STOP
ONCE CLEARANCE HAS BEEN GIVEN I WILL SEND MESSAGE
STOP
MESSAGE IS INCOMING
STOP
AS SOON AS CLEARANCE IS GIVEN. REMEMBER YOU WERE FOREWARNED
STOP

*sixteen hours later the only thing moving in the office is the telegraph, overseen by an unmoving operator that long ago ate a bullet*

:laffo:
:five::five::five:

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?

I like this guy, he should come on SA to chitchat with us. Best of luck to him at his new job though.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

So you're saying Austin was a literal sweatshop?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
To be fair, they made that deal with the Kingdom Come people three years ago (according to the date on the Polygon article), and they've already constantly eventually delivered everyone's favorite bald spaceman and I think maybe some different spaceman for Star Marine, so I guess it all worked out as planned.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

We're having a nice chat with him and he's telling us lots of stuff.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

He's a loving coward. He blocked me, but then he's yelling at me knowing I neither read it (without logging out), nor respond. :laffo:

Someone needs to remind him that he's got me blocked :D

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

He's a loving coward. He blocked me

3_terrabyte_ironicat.png

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mr.Tophat posted:

OBS is cool and good and what I use to stream. It's got a lot of fiddly bits.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Newsflash! If you ignore the parts that you don't like, then everything is fine!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

big nipples big life posted:

3_terrabyte_ironicat.png

LOL. Remember when this clown was an SA moderator?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dogeh posted:

We're having a nice chat with him and he's telling us lots of stuff.

He's showing me the pupil to planet vid :negative: to get me hyped

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Are you trying to play Star Citizen because if so the troubleshooting will be totally different to other games.

I feel grief regardless

Beet Wagon posted:

OBS is cool and good and what I use to stream. It's got a lot of fiddly bits.

God drat it, I hate fiddly bits. Gunna try and wrap my brain around this and follow all the fastidious guides. gently caress my life I just wanted to broadcast running at high speeds in FEAR

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

D_Smart posted:

He's a loving coward. He blocked me, but then he's yelling at me knowing I neither read it (without logging out), nor respond. :laffo:

Someone needs to remind him that he's got me blocked :D

You're a loving hypocrite you know that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

He's showing me the pupil to planet vid :negative: to get me hyped

I love your replies. Epic on so many levels!