Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Same but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Same but unironically

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I love how Trails the 3rd has thirty minute long cutscenes between save points.

i mean

it's a trails in the sky game

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Do we know yet if cold steel 3 is still using Phyreengine or are they switching to something else?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Thomas is a mysterious and secretive instructor who you should hang out with more often outside of work.

You forgot his massively powerful ability to drink hardened boozehounds under the table. Can you just imagine the horror of him, Scherazard, and Aina dragging Olivert out for drinks?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Lord Koth posted:

You forgot his massively powerful ability to drink hardened boozehounds under the table. Can you just imagine the horror of him, Scherazard, and Aina dragging Olivert out for drinks?

And Instructor Sara

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Beelerzebub posted:

And Instructor Sara

I mean, she already knows.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I'm 25 hours into Cold Steel (just finished the midterm practical exam what a dick) and this is the most I've enjoyed taking my time in a game in ages. Last game I got into this year was Persona 5 back at launch, and while Persona 5's presentation and style is out of control, I think on so many other fronts Cold Steel outclasses it in my mind. Mainly what a weight the momentum of Persona 5 became for me - I appreciated how smoothly the parts of a day flowed together, but I never felt like I had any time to slow down and take the characters and world in. When I was finally given control, I knew that pretty much every action would advance the clock. Yes, Cold Steel gives you a limited amount of bonding points, but they have the same weight to them. I just feel like its a bit easier to breathe while playing Cold Steel (which I think maybe P4 was more interested in than P5 - maybe that was to do with the city setting).

When I played the Trails in the Sky games I never really checked in with NPCs after every event - I was always pushing on to the next area, so I never really knew it was a 'thing'. But in Cold Steel I have been and it makes the game feel so alive. Western RPGs may have named NPCs but once they've given you their quest, then they have a few generic lines to spout forever. When I played the Witcher 3 I remember thinking it was cool that you could see major characters in the city, but was always curious about the people in the towns you'd pass through that maybe had one or two quests but otherwise just seemed to exist as a kind of diorama.
Its really satisfying to piece together the image of Trista as a community - the connections the various characters have to one another, and the conflicts between them. I'm interested in whats going to happen with Emile's parents, when Bridget is going to give up on Alan, what the deal with that cat is - there are all these different threads that I'm invested in. They keep me from doing what I do in a lot of RPGs - which is become a checklist fiend, or get tunnel vision on the central progression, while completely ignoring the smaller stuff.

I like how the members of Class VII's development and reveals haven't all been front loaded. It feels more true to getting to know people in life - it takes people different amounts of time to open up. Like at first I thought they were all kind of dull compared to Estelle, but I've warmed to them as the field trips have brought out more of their personalities. One of the better ensemble cast balancing acts I've seen in games too.

The game generally reminds me of when I was a kid and got really into Skies of Arcadia on the Gamecube, and just got swept up by the world, characters, sense of adventure, and music. Its pretty cool to feel that connection with a game as someone older, who has less interest in, and plays fewer and fewer games every year.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The Trails in the Sky games had quite a few entertaining NPC miniplots if you took the time to root them out, but Cold Steel 1's structure of returning to a "home base" after every chapter allows it to spread those ministories out across the entire game and take the concept to a whole new level.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Talk to Vivi, best NPC

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Vivi and Angelica never interacting with each other is one of the biggest ball drops in these games. It's too bad she has such stuff competition between Towa and Angie, because she's definitely best NPC girl besides them.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ya girl Becky is the best NPC and it's frankly embarrassing to see anyone state otherwise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You're right, I'm pretty ashamed of myself right now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zaggitz posted:

Ya girl Becky is the best NPC and it's frankly embarrassing to see anyone state otherwise.

Becky gets a laugh out of me no matter when I talk to her.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
About to start Cold Steel 2 :twisted:

I'm guessing Hard is probably the optimal difficulty setting, like with the first game?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Basically. You'll struggle with getting the boss AP but otherwise they give you triple the combat advantages with making money incredibly easy to get.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Paperhouse posted:

About to start Cold Steel 2 :twisted:

I'm guessing Hard is probably the optimal difficulty setting, like with the first game?

Yeah, I played on Hard and it was totally fine, with the exception of the first few bosses' AP bonuses.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh you can do a raw run of cold steel 2 on nightmare and be fine if you know even a bit about how to optimize (stack delay on rean, make fie have 100% evade, etc)

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I should have probably started on hard, on normal and the chapter 6 boss is the only thing I've died on so far

Not to mention I used Laura's S-Craft to take half the chapter 5 boss health off in one hit

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Red Red Blue posted:

Not to mention I used Laura's S-Craft to take half the chapter 5 boss health off in one hit

I remember one-shotting that boss on Hard so difficulty probably wouldn't help for that one in particular.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Yeah I'm suppose I'm not nearly as optimized as I could be

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cold Steel 3 had its street date broken. Beware, children, for spoilers shall soon abound.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Congrats to the guy who made his own life-sized Altina standup

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Terper posted:

Cold Steel 3 had its street date broken. Beware, children, for spoilers shall soon abound.

What level do you start at?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
False alarm, apparantly.

https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/907279194027167745

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

TFW my copy of Ys VIII was supposed to arrive today. gently caress you, Hurricane Irma.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

What level do you start at?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ys 8 pc is delayed until they get the port into decent shape
https://steamcommunity.com/games/579180/announcements/detail/1441571497990560200

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Son of a bitch, I just noticed that the symbol on the Vermillion master quartz is shaped roughly like the wings of the Vermillion Apocalypse. That's clever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beelerzebub posted:

TFW my copy of Ys VIII was supposed to arrive today. gently caress you, Hurricane Irma.

Just think of it this way. Somewhere your copy of Ys VIII is waking up after the boat it was on crashed and is about to have an amazing adventure.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm like 80% sure one of the major reasons NISA even got the game over XSEED besides NISA was offering more money to Falcom was because NISA promised a simultaneous PC release for the west.

So uh, nice job there NISA.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
To be fair, cold Steel pc was delayed.

Then again, disgaea was a horrendous port.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Can anyone think of some things that are not exactly missable but stuff you might want to be aware of in Cold Steel 2? I don't really care about the missable books and stuff like that, but one thing I was annoyed about in Cold Steel is that I never used the Moebius master quartz at all because I had no idea how ridiculously good it gets. I was never gonna grind out the levels on it so I essentially missed it just due to not knowing what it could do - stuff kinda like that?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm playing through Cold Steel 1 and goddamn money is hard to come by. Am I missing something here? I just barely get enough to get weapons by the second day of the Field Study. Also Time Sepith, but that is like, every Trails game. They really need to spread out the good poo poo from Time, but unfortunately they're all part of the color pie. Maybe Mirage for Cast? I dunno.

Also I have no idea what Jusis and Machias are supposed to be good for, and Chapter 2 is dragged down by these two characters that don't really have a thing in combat (although at least Jusis can help Rean stunlock).

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Paperhouse posted:

Can anyone think of some things that are not exactly missable but stuff you might want to be aware of in Cold Steel 2? I don't really care about the missable books and stuff like that, but one thing I was annoyed about in Cold Steel is that I never used the Moebius master quartz at all because I had no idea how ridiculously good it gets. I was never gonna grind out the levels on it so I essentially missed it just due to not knowing what it could do - stuff kinda like that?

The only one I can think of at the moment is that the Tauros master quartz is actually really good in CS2, because now it affects crafts and the delay isn't as bad as in CS1.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm playing through Cold Steel 1 and goddamn money is hard to come by. Am I missing something here? I just barely get enough to get weapons by the second day of the Field Study. Also Time Sepith, but that is like, every Trails game. They really need to spread out the good poo poo from Time, but unfortunately they're all part of the color pie. Maybe Mirage for Cast? I dunno.

Also I have no idea what Jusis and Machias are supposed to be good for, and Chapter 2 is dragged down by these two characters that don't really have a thing in combat (although at least Jusis can help Rean stunlock).

It's going to take a few more chapters for them to get the tools they need to shine, but Jusis has an insanely good buff craft, and Machias wants the Juggler master quartz as soon as you can get it, because it synergizes with his aoe normal attack.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 11, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

We should prob get the thread title changed for Ys.

I dunno if I'll get the game shipped to me tomorrow because I'm in the middle of nowhere so y'all are gonna have to enjoy the shittilly localized epic without me for a bit.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Paperhouse posted:

Tauros on Laura and I believe Criminal on Emma turn them into 6 figure damage powerhouses, especially once you get some Lost Arts for Emma.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

No, money is suuuuper tight in Cold Steel, unless you have Elliot make a million Egg Soups.

You'll get some better quartz from chests, I know there's an EP Cut 2 and a Cast 2 in Chapter 3.

Jusis is a bad mage and a bad attacker. He's there for a single Craft you get at level 26. Machias is for crowd control with status ailment quartzes (one per line!) and some support with Break Shot and Energy Shell. He gets a ridiculously good Craft at 57.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I always like having jusis in a party with emma and his buff is better than rean's imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hivac posted:

I always like having jusis in a party with emma

Well, it's not like you really have a choice in Cold Steel...