Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ArfJason posted:

no, you keep holding the direction you were holding before you ran upside down.
if youre going right and up a half loop into a ceiling, you keep holding right

i tried exactly that several times. It didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NecroMonster posted:

i tried exactly that several times. It didn't work.

Yeah it was finnicky for me too and I found letting go was often the safest bet.

Based on the puyo puyo section I think the switch joycon joystick just isn't really all that accurate and can easily wiggle left and right just a second and mess everything up.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The death that made me laugh the hardest in my first go-around was the Oil Ocean boss that shoots you up into a bed of ceiling spikes.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ive just come to this conclusion:
all the new jelly goop in CPZ2 is for manufacturing puyos, green, blue, light blue, the purple ones you stick to... missing red and yellow though...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ArfJason posted:

all the new jelly goop in CPZ2 is for manufacturing puyos, green, blue, light blue, the purple ones you stick to... missing red and yellow though...

theres only four colors of puyo in sonic mania~

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
agh!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
poo poo, there's five, looks like i'm the idiot

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's red and yellow in the DNA helix things

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
This conversation was pages ago but I wanna say that I like the Studiopolis Zone 1 fight a lot. It could be a little better mechanically but conceptually it's a lot of fun. The different paths take you to all different parts of the city!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsBandit posted:

This conversation was pages ago but I wanna say that I like the Studiopolis Zone 1 fight a lot. It could be a little better mechanically but conceptually it's a lot of fun. The different paths take you to all different parts of the city!

Its a cool idea but the way the road messes with your jumps feels ultra bad. They should have had your movement be normal regardless of the road angle and then make the difficulty come from how many missiles you have to dodge.

They even have to give you some freebie rings on every phase since its so awkward and easy to get hit even if you're on the ball.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ArfJason posted:

Other way around. :ohdear:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Macaluso posted:

There's red and yellow in the DNA helix things

THANK YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Didn't come close to game over, but then I did spend the last couple of months playing a ton of classic Sonic.

My main criticism of the game is that it's too drat fast. Chemical Plant is the best example - the original had speed sections, but they don't quite reach the heights of speed Mania does, which are almost impossible to react to, and they were far less numerous. The tubes in the original had a little twisty turny section when you first jump in so you can get your bearings, then go slow enough to get an idea of where you're up to, but Mania might as well teleport you somewhere else for all that you can tell what's happening. I guess Metallic Madness 2 in CD was similarly fast, but it also operated on a simple and comprehensible grid system.

Almost all of the zones in Mania have long, overly fast speed sections and are otherwise extremely big, and it spreads out the levels too much and creates the weird situation where the levels are too long to explore but can still be sped through in not much time. The classic games got the balance right - sometimes it focused you onward, but generally levels were the right speed and size where you could take advantage of the ability to backtrack, or just explore as you went. In Mania, every level is a monster like Marble Garden Act 2 where you feel like you're on the clock. I don't feel like I'll ever know the levels in the way I did the originals, purely because there's too many parts spread out everywhere.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 10, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm really not liking that they sped up the blue sphere stages. They were pretty chill in s3k but now it seems like they start faster, accelerate faster and end up barely controllable.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Are you from Europe? If you played the PAL version of S3&K it'll have run at 5/6ths of the normal speed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Are you from Europe? If you played the PAL version of S3&K it'll have run at 5/6ths of the normal speed.

Nope. Just replayed the NTSC version during the wait for the pc version.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I did feel like the Blue Sphere stage was a bit faster, but I never felt like it was uncontrollable unless I spent like 3-4 minutes in the stage.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rorac posted:

I did feel like the Blue Sphere stage was a bit faster, but I never felt like it was uncontrollable unless I spent like 3-4 minutes in the stage.

That's unavoidable on some of them, especially the one that spirals inwards counter-clockwise and I just found out yesterday was cut from S3&K for being too hard. :gonk:

Also, I thought they fixed the PAL speed issue for 2 & 3? I don't remember them being slower than the NTSC version.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

That one was... pretty easy though?

The hard one for me was the one where you have to spring, collect 3, spring, collect 3, spring collect 3... I mean for fucks sake can I get an error margin higher than "lol gently caress you"?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rorac posted:

That one was... pretty easy though?

I completed literally all of them before that one, personally. I think it took me something like 6 tries? The one where I actually won I just said "gently caress it", muted the game, put on some non-speed-affected music and aced it so

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a cool idea but the way the road messes with your jumps feels ultra bad. They should have had your movement be normal regardless of the road angle and then make the difficulty come from how many missiles you have to dodge.

They even have to give you some freebie rings on every phase since its so awkward and easy to get hit even if you're on the ball.

Running bosses in general NEED rings to come back because you often cannot get rings back after being hit reliably, turning the fight into 2 hit deaths. If anything, I was annoyed it wasn't handled like Sonic Advance 2/other running bosses in the series where rings were finite but spread around a looping track so you could pick them back up whenever you got hit if you played safe. Mania at least gives rings after each boss hit, and the hits aren't too complex on that boss so it kinda works out even if it's not ideal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can see why people complain about the OOZ endboss now. I'm replaying the fight and just abruptly died for no discernible reason twice in a row.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Finding out that Caterkiller Shai Hulud can crush you wasn't much fun.

OOZ shitshow instakills you when it kills the platforms for no discernable reason. And your rings are nigh impossible to recover. And it's really annoying to get back on a platform when the gun's out.

Also, I just found out that drop dash exists after getting killed by accidentally triggering it several times :saddowns:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 10, 2017

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That's unavoidable on some of them, especially the one that spirals inwards counter-clockwise and I just found out yesterday was cut from S3&K for being too hard. :gonk:

Also, I thought they fixed the PAL speed issue for 2 & 3? I don't remember them being slower than the NTSC version.

They fixed the music after 1 but the games still ran slower

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I watched a video on YouTube about cut content from Mania and there was stuff for Hyper mode (text, sprites for the super emeralds) so it seems at least at one point that they were planning to have Hyper mode in the game. I'm guessing Sega stepped in and said no. :(

Also there's a videogamedunkey easter egg in the game wtf

Frankston fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 10, 2017

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
LMAO at goons complaining that Mania is too hard and too fast.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Last blue sphere I completed was the one where you go in boxes of blue then yellow sphere to another box and I kept loving it up because you just have to never turn when you land then jump over the first one you hit when you complete the square, I was so conditioned from the one Rorac mentioned that I kept turning when I landed.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sonic Forces is up for pre-order at Argos for £27.99, if you're the kind of guy who likes to play bad games.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
On the topic of Poyus and Chemical Plant, on The Cutting Room Floor someone found that apparently the green liquid used to be red and the cyan used to be yellow.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only real complaint I have about any part of the game is the Studiopolis 1 boss. When you jump, you shouldn't be loving pulled backwards. It's an autoscroller sure, but Sonic isn't on a moving platform he's just running, and during no other part of the game does jumping work that way. Not even the Metal Sonic running parts.

Maybe they did it "for the challenge" but it's completely pointless and nonsensical.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Just ran into a new bug, at the end of Stardust speedway act 1, after you beat the boss there is the standard tv bouncing minigame, I found a ring box and I ended the bounce with Tails to the left of it, end of level jingle plays, and then then Tails starts to run right for the transition cutscene, only, he has a ring box in his way and is stuck pushing on it forever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ventana posted:

Running bosses in general NEED rings to come back because you often cannot get rings back after being hit reliably, turning the fight into 2 hit deaths. If anything, I was annoyed it wasn't handled like Sonic Advance 2/other running bosses in the series where rings were finite but spread around a looping track so you could pick them back up whenever you got hit if you played safe. Mania at least gives rings after each boss hit, and the hits aren't too complex on that boss so it kinda works out even if it's not ideal.

Why does a running boss need that?

Why can't the rings just stay with you and slide along the road? Its not like rings don't have momentum anyways.

Problem solved. And being able to get your rings back would be way better strategy and better gamefeel than just getting hit every phase and then getting some freebie rings because, well, we're sorry this boss is kinda a dick.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Ran in to one rather annoying bug with the small robo-piranhas in Hydrocity.

Once one of them is nibbling on you, you're prevented from spindashing - which is the only way to remove them, unless I'm missing something. (At least that's how they worked in Sonic 3).

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 4, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nostalgamus posted:

Ran in to one rather annoying bug with the small robo-piranhas in Hydrocity.

Once one of them is nibbling on you, you're prevented from spindashing - which is the only way to remove them, unless I'm missing something. (At least that's how they worked in Sonic 3).

Nope, just hammer the d-pad left and right. It doesn't make it clear, I appreciate.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think it's that so much that in that fight (and only that fight?) you lose speed when you jump.

The road angle messing with your jumps is about the only thing that makes dodging the missiles possible. Jumping over one on a flat stretch is next to impossible.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
im glad after all these years vector is finally getting his due as a cool and good character

https://twitter.com/AlanTheWriter/status/906907882062438400

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zaphod42 posted:

Why does a running boss need that?

Why can't the rings just stay with you and slide along the road? Its not like rings don't have momentum anyways.

Problem solved. And being able to get your rings back would be way better strategy and better gamefeel than just getting hit every phase and then getting some freebie rings because, well, we're sorry this boss is kinda a dick.

They could do that too, though that gets into changing the behavior in terms of scrolling screens (might already be weird due to the running segments) and how they interact with ring movement in a specific scenario, aka it's more work that they may or may not want to do. Maybe it could be as easy as copying the spike wall's collision properties from the Metal Sonic fight, maybe it's more complicated, idk. It didn't work that way in 3&K or Advance 2 for sure so while there's no reason they couldn't advance the mechanics, it wasn't exactly a broken system in past games either so you can see why Mania did what it did.

Either way, I don't really care about the specifics of how it works. My point that I was addressing was telling you why the design of 2D running segments had to give you free rings, especially for a boss fight where players are expected to get hit. Your post felt like it was criticizing the free rings as if free rings in a boss were themselves an absolute bad design, when in reality they were needed for this case. Perhaps not ideal or needing better execution (Advance 2 style, or what you suggested), but it's still necessary functional concern.

edit: Let me be clear, I'm not defending the boss, I think it's complete poo poo. Just that nothing's wrong with the ring refills in a running boss fight.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 10, 2017

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I thought all the bosses were pretty easy, but still fun. I also really liked the running bosses in this game. It's better than literally every boss being some meh auto scroller boss like Sonic Advance 2, which made every single fight a miserable slog or annoying as hell.

This game oozes classic Sonic style and emulated S3&K's style very well while remixing old stages and creating new ones that are also fun. I don't think its troughs ever get close to outweighing the positives, at least for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm loving this as my first 2d Sonic game, but god I'm bad at it. I've game-overed at OOZ's final boss like four times. On the plus side Mania inspired me to pickup Freedom Planet and that game is dope as hell too, although the bosses are similarly painful for me. I just wanna go fast :(