Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I just finished my Bashi's recently!

(crappy cell phone pic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It isn't anywhere near as good as other people's stuff, but here is my first mostly finished Yu Jing model. I want to redo the sword, but for the most part I'm happy.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Signal posted:

(crappy cell phone pic)
I loving love the weathering on the wings here.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Signal posted:

(crappy cell phone pic)

Nice work, I love the models and concept for these guys. Knifey mcpiratehood is particularly cool.

Flipswitch posted:

I think there's 2-3 sculpts? Only two of which are retail. I'd get both and the holoecho markers. Should be enough unless you really skew AD.

I also agree with this. AD and irregular models don't need a ton of duplicates. Some people get multiples of holo-2 models to play mind games, but this is really expensive, shouldn't come ahead of buying more new stuff, and doesn't really apply to AD holo-2: if you parachute in a single djanbazan, for example, your opponent will pretty easily figure out it's a BB.

One way you can use holo-2 on them, maybe not game winning but handy enough, is deploy a BB as 3 line infantry tucked away in a secure corner, making your opponent assume one is the lt. He may then spend resources hunting it, especially in missions like firefight where killing the lt is an objective, while your real lt chills out as a camp marker! As I said, probably not as good a tactic as just using the BB offensively

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

It isn't anywhere near as good as other people's stuff, but here is my first mostly finished Yu Jing model. I want to redo the sword, but for the most part I'm happy.

Lookin good bud. Don't worry about quality vs other people. Having a painted force is awesome! What you doing for the base?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Flipswitch posted:

Lookin good bud. Don't worry about quality vs other people. Having a painted force is awesome! What you doing for the base?

Now that I've done another dose of nuln oil and given the sword several layers of silver I am even more happy with the results on this model.

As for the base, I have no clue. I've never done anything more for bases than some sand glued down.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Try texture paints and painting over them! :)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I wish all the terrain I wanted to order was easily available in the U.S. :(

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
If anyone's looking to make hexagon-tiled bases, Happy Seppuku makes a 3x3" greenstuff press mold as part of their Common Tiles 3-pack.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I just did a test model with that GW texture paint. Holy crap that stuff is awesome for basing.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

It's not bad! I actually like your color picks. Very distinctive.

But if you want to give him a bit more pizzaz, a wash on the purple followed by some light dry-brushing with purple/pink would really make hm pop! For very little effort, too.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

I loving love the weathering on the wings here.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Nice work, I love the models and concept for these guys. Knifey mcpiratehood is particularly cool.

Thanks guys! They were my first look at weathering my Haqq more than very lightly, and I've been enjoying the effect.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Man, Full Auto L2 is a real kick in the dick when the guy using it has a Mk12 and an SMG. No real good way to stack modifiers up on his big rear end.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/lrkGWacK0Gw

Also just to let you guys know I've prepped a new thread op but thinking to wait until the new book comes out or start of 2018?

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 12, 2017

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I don't play CA but I'm gonna buy this guy.

Flipswitch posted:

Also just to let you guys know I've prepped a new thread op but thinking to wait until the new book comes out or start of 2018?

I'm not against 2018 but the new ITS season just started. If you wait until the next book we'll all be dead and your skeleton will have to add all the new sectorials before poasting it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Apparently I need to do a thicker layer of this stuff because the base underneath is showing through a bit, but that should be fixable with some simple washes.

Overall I'm very happy with how this has turned out.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

Apparently I need to do a thicker layer of this stuff because the base underneath is showing through a bit, but that should be fixable with some simple washes.

Overall I'm very happy with how this has turned out.

Best way to use the stuff is paint the base a similar color first and then glob it on thick cause it reduces so much.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Is it possible for an Umbra Legate to hang out in a Rodok fireteam while an impersonation marker? I'm not seeing a specific rule that disallows it but that doesn't mean much in Infinity.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is it possible for an Umbra Legate to hang out in a Rodok fireteam while an impersonation marker? I'm not seeing a specific rule that disallows it but that doesn't mean much in Infinity.

No, it'll kick the Umbra out and break the link.

Edit: "If the trooper activates or is in a state that allows it to be substituted by a Marker (Camouflage, TO, Impersonation, Holoecho...), unless a Special Skill, piece of Equipment or some Scenario Rule indicates otherwise."

The exception it mentions is Holo 3.

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Fireteam_Integrity

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 12, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

No, it'll kick the Umbra out and break the link.

Yeah, just found the provision on marker states and fire teams. Thanks!

I feel like Onyx mostly just hits things like a hammer and isn't very tricky, especially compared to Nomads. It seems kinda one-dimensional as well. Anything super obvious I'm missing?

Going second with the Unidron fireteam seems fairly painful since your supportware won't be up. How do people mitigate this? I love the models but I've had much better luck with Rodoks.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Yeah, Onyx has few tricks and slamming your opponent with the various fireteams is your best option. I'll eventually make the move from PanO to Onyx as there will be little culture shock but I'll get some new opportunities.

Regarding Unidrons, you can spend a command token with an EVO Hacker to start the game with one Gadget Supportware up.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yeah, Onyx has few tricks and slamming your opponent with the various fireteams is your best option. I'll eventually make the move from PanO to Onyx as there will be little culture shock but I'll get some new opportunities.

Regarding Unidrons, you can spend a command token with an EVO Hacker to start the game with one Gadget Supportware up.

It is Gadget-EVO only right? It seems like the Unidron's biggest advantage compared to a Fusilier link is Assisted Fire, which I don't think you can start the game with.

Having your long range ARO pieces working at half effectiveness on turn one (at least with the numbers I've run on http://inf-dice.ghostlords.com/n3/) seems bad.

Edit: Not to say Unidrons are garbage or anything, it just seems like the difference between going first and second is huge.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Once I finish this model I think it will be time to move on to a much more imposing Yu Jing model: my Su-Jian. I just hope it comes out looking good!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

It is Gadget-EVO only right? It seems like the Unidron's biggest advantage compared to a Fusilier link is Assisted Fire, which I don't think you can start the game with

poo poo, sorry. I was thinking Unidrons had repeaters for Overclock.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It can be worth using for double Ikadrons, M Drone and am R Drone tho. Disco flash pulses everywhere.

Cat Face Joe posted:

I don't play CA but I'm gonna buy this guy.

I'm not against 2018 but the new ITS season just started. If you wait until the next book we'll all be dead and your skeleton will have to add all the new sectorials before poasting it.
Yea v true. Will think about it. I lean more towards new year than the new its but I see your point mate

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Edit: Not to say Unidrons are garbage or anything, it just seems like the difference between going first and second is huge.

Yeah, it's pretty big. Same thing could be said for going second in a lot of ITS scenarios.

This is why creating asymmetrical tables is so important. You have to give some benefit to the player who didn't get to choose turn order. Weighing one side of the table with better cover, safe DZs, or verticality can go a long ways to taking the edge off of losing initiative.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Also don't forget that many missions favor going second because you don't score until the end of the game.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Not a viking posted:

Also don't forget that many missions favor going second because you don't score until the end of the game.

Yeah, had one game where there were like 3 consoles, at the end of my final turn I had 2 of them and had a bunch of pieces set up to ARO anyone who tried to get them. Insert me learning how much smoke is bullshit and how fast a 5 map fireteam can move across the map. By the end of his turn I controlled 0 consoles.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Flipswitch posted:

It can be worth using for double Ikadrons, M Drone and am R Drone tho. Disco flash pulses everywhere.

Two M Drones! The double M Drone AVA for Onyx is worth remembering, especially if you're going up against camo spam. It's at least a little insurance when one gets punked trying to Triangulate Fire against a sniper.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Shot in the dark here, but I have a NIB Tohaa 300pt army box that I'm looking to trade for a similar amount of Yu Jing if anyone is interested.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Am I insane for wanting to run a Yu Jing list that has both a Yan Huo w/ HRMC and a Yan Huo w/ 2x ML?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

No. My buddy does it it all the time and it's a huge pain in the rear end. He's been favoring the MLs with neurocinetics and the multi HMG lately though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

and the multi HMG
Now that is insane.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

insanely good

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm kind of curious about the logic of using the Multi HMG vs the HRMC. Its only benefit is a slightly better ARO if you don't go into supressive fire for some bizarre reason(EXP vs DA), but you generally want to end your turn with your Yan Huo in Suppression Fire. It is only 1 point cheaper and loses a B in active turn and SF.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Actually, suppressive fire reduces you to burst three regardless of the weapon being used.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

If I had to choose, should I get the Tohaa 300 pt pack or the Onyx 300 pt pack

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Onyx is for cool kids Tohaa is for Uhhh cheese weasels

S.J.
May 19, 2008

you make a compelling argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm kind of curious about the logic of using the Multi HMG vs the HRMC. Its only benefit is a slightly better ARO if you don't go into supressive fire for some bizarre reason(EXP vs DA), but you generally want to end your turn with your Yan Huo in Suppression Fire. It is only 1 point cheaper and loses a B in active turn and SF.

The B2 reactive missile launchers plus AP or shock suppressive fire with the option of a longer B1 explosive shot makes the active difficult.

S.J. posted:

If I had to choose, should I get the Tohaa 300 pt pack or the Onyx 300 pt pack

Tohaa if you want an army that's strong out of the box and an opponent that's bored to tears.

• Locked thread