Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Still not as dumb an idea as Juicero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

BrandorKP posted:

Simulink was pretty drat good for system level design when I was an undergrad. Then again prof was pirating it so...

Oh yeah you can do some cool poo poo with it.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Circling back to startups, though, what happens when you come up with a new data processing technology and want to set up a company? If you were working in Python, you'd just keep doing what you were doing, but with Matlab suddenly you're tens of thousands of dollars in the hole for the commercial license (for the base product; LOL if you depend on any extensions or toolboxes) before you've even started recruiting more people.

shrike82 posted:

I can speak for finance (as an industry) and data science (as a vocation) but Matlab’s becoming increasingly irrelevant with most shops shifting wholly to a stack with R or Python.

It’d be interesting to read a post-mortem on Matlab’s business model - they did the usual Windows/Photoshop thing of getting their claws into you in college with student licenses and people ask to use them at work, but I wonder what uptake is at colleges these days v OSS equivalents.

If you're doing anything at scale or 'in production' you definitely aren't using Matlab and depending on the scale you might be trying to steer away from using R as well.

Matlab is more of an adhoc analysis tool, similar to how a lot of people use RStudio or iPython notebooks. (reasonably) Good for finding insights, very bad for automation.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

blah_blah posted:

If you're doing anything at scale or 'in production' you definitely aren't using Matlab[.]

s/aren't/shouldn't be/, but I agree strongly.

Due to lock-in and very constrained interop options, I've written production Matlab.

And am probably going to hell for it, lol.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

the old ceremony posted:

farming is the sacred art that separates us from the beasts

With a crowbar, in some cases.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lol it's clear that most people aren't familiar with avshalom

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Irony.or.Death posted:

how many goats you got this could be gold
If you had a Fitbit-equivalent sensor that could tell you that a sheep was lambing, you could make bank from weary farmers. Lābr? Uddr?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

prisoner of waffles posted:

Due to lock-in and very constrained interop options, I've written production Matlab.

I’ve helped to build trading systems on top of Matlab.
People build production systems using jury-rigged poo poo all the time, no surprises there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

shrike82 posted:

People build production systems using jury-rigged poo poo all the time, no surprises there.

*cough*Perl*cough*

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

prisoner of waffles posted:

shrike82 posted:

I stand both corrected and horrified.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Irony.or.Death posted:

vaccinatr, IoT-enabled robotic restraints + injection with a subscription model for the vaccine + needles

how many goats you got this could be gold
this is the problem with you people. you can't just put a goat in a robotic injecting machine. they are sensitive and delicate creatures who need to be cajoled, coaxed and gently handled or they'll die, they will instantly drop dead right there on the ground and then what do you have? fifty dead dairy goats murdered by modern technology! do you have any idea how much these creatures cost? how is silicon valley going to reimburse me for my goats, my tender bleating children, my skew-eyed devils of the field? are you going to write an app that will bring my goats back to life? are you a wizard? you appall me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's true, goats are some of the most hilariously killable creatures on our dead god's earth

and they're also adorable just to drive the joke home

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

the old ceremony posted:

this is the problem with you people. you can't just put a goat in a robotic injecting machine. they are sensitive and delicate creatures who need to be cajoled, coaxed and gently handled or they'll die, they will instantly drop dead right there on the ground and then what do you have? fifty dead dairy goats murdered by modern technology! do you have any idea how much these creatures cost? how is silicon valley going to reimburse me for my goats, my tender bleating children, my skew-eyed devils of the field? are you going to write an app that will bring my goats back to life? are you a wizard? you appall me

We'll just genetically engineer goats until they're more docile. :shrug:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

JamesKPolk posted:

Yeah I gotcha - but startup has a kind of technical definition wrt the relationship of the organization to investment capital and with new technology that new company doesn't (yet - we'll probably be looking for a new name next cycle). Most startups (in the descriptive, not aspirational sense) are new companies, but I don't think most new companies are startups.

Like, if you open a vegan bakery with a loan from the bank cause you love to make pies out of soy milk, that's probably not a startup, but if you plan to use equity to expand to 20 stores plus a franchise program in two years based on this new proprietary soy protein process you discovered that cuts prep time in half, then yeah it is.

Capitalism is bad btw I don't mean to defend it in the process of explaining terms of analysis.

I understand better now :hfive:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

the old ceremony posted:

A properly-functioning derivatives market will let you hedge against the unlikely case you lose all fifty of your goats, whether to infernal machines or as tribute to local warlords.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I'll add a bit of context as someone who has used Blue Apron and Hello Fresh, does not anymore, and doesn't think that their long term outlook is particularly good.

I personally did not try it because I didn't know how to cook; my wife and I have been cooking our own meals for many years, and we both generally very much enjoy cooking. The main reason I tried it was that it was too easy for us to fall into a rut and cook the same things over and over again, and I like variety but also suck at meal planning, making trivial decisions like "what should we make tonight?" and thinking of new and interesting things to make. Also our local CSA had just shut down, so we decided to try something different. So having 3 dinners that we hadn't made before predetermined for us each week sounded interesting.

I do not deny this was appealing to me because I was lazy; but it's not that Blue Apron makes the cooking itself much easier, it just eliminates the meal planning and shopping steps, and I think it sort of does okay at that.

Ultimately we unsubscribed permanently after a few months of switching back and forth between services to milk them of their discounts. The reasons:
- we still had to shop and plan for all of our other meals, snacks, etc, so we didn't really shop any less
- the amount of packaging made me feel pretty lovely about myself
- while the expense wasn't crazy high for the Bay Area, it was definitely more pricey than what we were doing before.

Of course this hits on the same fundamental problems already brought up: crazy high customer acquisition costs (especially due to people like me abusing their acquisition tactics), and poor customer retention. I vaguely recall their S-1 claiming average acquisition cost of $50-60, but that was misleading because it was an average of the total that didn't account for the fact that it had increased over time, and the marginal acquisition cost was several hundred dollars per customer. Not good.

Anyway, while I don't think it is a sustainable or good business model, their target customer base is not just people who don't know WTF in the kitchen; I never saw that as the main selling point.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my old coworker had an intact boer buck named nigel who was like a pet, he impregnated every doe for miles around and then he tried to impregnate her 10-year-old son so he wasn't allowed in the house yard after that, anyway nigel lived a life of wild depravity for many years but then one day she said he just dropped dead in front of her, for which i place the blame squarely on steve jobs and his fuckwit disciples

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

JamesKPolk posted:

Yeah I gotcha - but startup has a kind of technical definition wrt the relationship of the organization to investment capital and with new technology that new company doesn't (yet - we'll probably be looking for a new name next cycle). Most startups (in the descriptive, not aspirational sense) are new companies, but I don't think most new companies are startups.

As someone who is casually job hunting right now in the Bay Area, a lot of places are claiming to have a "startup mentality" even when they are old, established companies. This is usually code for they want you to work many extra unpaid hours a week, some of the newer ones even bringing that up right after bragging about getting so many millions in funding in their latest round.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

Like in my case I don't mind cooking itself but don't want to be arsed to plan things well and do the attendant grocery shopping so this kind of service would be great.

while i totally feel you on the laziness aspect it's one of those things where eventually you'll have a lightbulb moment and realize you're paying $10-$20 extra for something that takes literally five minutes worth of effort once you know what you're doing. it's dicey to build a business on that. sort of like how men don't get shaved by barbers anymore unless they're trying to show off

like if you don't care that much it's really not hard to just decide to get some beans + rice + stuff and a crockpot. it's almost cheatfully easy to cook decent meals in bulk with a slow cooker, and one of the fun things about learning to cook is experimentation

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 10, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

eschaton posted:

A properly-functioning derivatives market will let you hedge against the unlikely case you lose all fifty of your goats, whether to infernal machines or as tribute to local warlords.

Gosh, I hadn't thought of Joe-Bob in years. Thank you!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

the old ceremony posted:

how is silicon valley going to reimburse me for my goats, my tender bleating children, my skew-eyed devils of the field? are you going to write an app that will bring my goats back to life? are you a wizard? you appall me
Nekromancr

Zomb-I (because iZombie is taken by the comic book series and tv show)

Goats Head Soup II

yeah okay I'm out you have defeated me poster formerly known as [censored]

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I haven't been following Blue Apron, is there something particularly egregious about them beyond having an unsustainable business model?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

shrike82 posted:

I haven't been following Blue Apron, is there something particularly egregious about them beyond having an unsustainable business model?

because their business model is stupid they have to cut costs whenever possible, which means they treat their workers like poo poo and also don't really have good hygiene policies, so...

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Tars Tarkas posted:

As someone who is casually job hunting right now in the Bay Area, a lot of places are claiming to have a "startup mentality" even when they are old, established companies. This is usually code for they want you to work many extra unpaid hours a week, some of the newer ones even bringing that up right after bragging about getting so many millions in funding in their latest round.
"Startup", even when used by 5+ year old companies with 150+ workers, is code for "here is some money - expect to work long hours/evenings/weekends and don't ask about retirement planning, maternity leave or any of that other garbage". Bonus points if its a "lean startup" that is neither lean nor a startup.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lamo, i didn't realize Tesla was doing price segmentation by firmware

Tesla (temporarily) remotely extends range of vehicles for free in Florida

quote:

Millions of people are currently affected by the evacuation of Florida as Hurricane Irma starts reaching the state and creates some difficult traffic situation when escaping north. There are reports of traffic jams and gas stations running out gas.

There are a lot Tesla owners in Florida and they are also escaping north using the Supercharger network.

Now Tesla has even facilitated travels for some of them as the automaker remotely unlocked the full battery pack capacity of Model S/X 60/60D vehicles with 75 kWh battery packs.

That’s due to Tesla using an unforeseen feature of their over-the-air software update system.

Tesla used to offer the option to buy a Model S or Model X with a 75 kWh battery pack software-locked at a capacity of 60 kWh. The option would result in a less expensive vehicle with a shorter range, but the option to pay to remotely enable the longer range at a later stage.

Some of those owners reported this morning having more range than usual in their vehicles.

A Tesla Model S 60 owner in Florida reached out to us with almost 40 more miles than in his usual full charge and a new ’75’ badge in his car software.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

corn in the bible posted:

because their business model is stupid they have to cut costs whenever possible, which means they treat their workers like poo poo and also don't really have good hygiene policies, so...

so just like every other business that exists

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://shanghaiist.com/2017/07/10/umbrella-sharing-fail.php

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

shrike82 posted:

They software-locked the efficiency of loving batteries???? :psyduck:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Feinne posted:

Oh yeah you can do some cool poo poo with it.

We modeled a nuclear reactor system with an attached hydrogen generation system driven by waste heat. It was pretty drat cool.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Schubalts posted:

They software-locked the efficiency of loving batteries???? :psyduck:
IIRC Intel has done the same kind of thing with CPUs. Sometimes it just makes sense to have fewer different types at the manufacturing level and price differentiate via software (or physically disabling after manufacture).

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

the old ceremony posted:

my old coworker had an intact boer buck named nigel who was like a pet, he impregnated every doe for miles around and then he tried to impregnate her 10-year-old son so he wasn't allowed in the house yard after that, anyway nigel lived a life of wild depravity for many years but then one day she said he just dropped dead in front of her, for which i place the blame squarely on steve jobs and his fuckwit disciples

what

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cicero posted:

IIRC Intel has done the same kind of thing with CPUs. Sometimes it just makes sense to have fewer different types at the manufacturing level and price differentiate via software (or physically disabling after manufacture).

A car is not a CPU in peoples minds, so I would expect normal consumers (and not just turbonerds enthusiast PC builders) to be pissed off.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shrike82 posted:

The real question is whether or not all the batteries are used in wear leveling or not. If so it'd be like paying to "upgrade" your SSD by unlocking all the memory used for wear leveling.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

The real question is whether or not all the batteries are used in wear leveling or not. If so it'd be like paying to "upgrade" your SSD by unlocking all the memory used for wear leveling.

That is not a real question

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
it just occurred to me i should specify that boer is a breed of goat

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
In response to the report on the Tesla labor situation at the end of July, some goon posted either here or another thread that he had worked at SpaceX for a while and told various stories about what was going on there. One of those stories was that Musk hired a designer to design a spacesuit that "looked cool", and then a succession of engineers to make that design function as a pressure suit.

I didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but he's basically confirmed this late last month:

Elon Musk posted:

First picture of SpaceX spacesuit. More in days to follow. Worth noting that this actually works (not a mockup). Already tested to double vacuum pressure. Was incredibly hard to balance esthetics and function. Easy to do either separately.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Gazpacho posted:

In response to the report on the Tesla labor situation at the end of July, some goon posted either here or another thread that he had worked at SpaceX for a while and told various stories about what was going on there. One of those stories was that Musk hired a designer to design a spacesuit that "looked cool", and then a succession of engineers to make that design function as a pressure suit.

I didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but he's basically confirmed this late last month:

That dumb piece of poo poo suit is going to kill someone.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The art designers and executives who make the demands should be the ones testing the products.

Avshalom is a forums treasure.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 10, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Well that suit is not supposed to ever encounter vacuum, it's more like an emergency thing in case the spaceship blows out a window and in that case you're probably dead anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Go fast, break things, leave a good-looking corpse