Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

90% of IVs being bad is an exaggeration. -atk is almost always bad but a bunch of characters don't care about -spd and even prefer it. The endgame is arena but it's not like whales are stomping you constantly. At the highest tier they will but I'm happy in tier 18ish.

FEH is still way more generous and friendly than FFBE. I feel like Gumi hates me but IS is constantly making the game more generous and friendly. Tempest trials used to be super grindy and newer ones make it easier to get points and rewards, especially for newer players. They even have a mini trial that's half the duration and half the points required but the same rewards.

The most popular characters from a vote were just released and you get one for free plus each banner gives you a free roll. FFBE is definitely a deeper game but I like puzzle aspect of FEH and I feel like I get more value out of spending money with the inheritance system and feather system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

NinjaDebugger posted:

Yeah, it's this and the constant stream of 4 new hero banners that only occur at 5 star that made me say gently caress it and drop it. It just wasn't worth the goddamn time compared to the other two games I play, which are this, and Fantasy War Tactics, aka the most player friendly gacha game. Speaking of which, I know there are people in here who played at one time. Noblesse is coming back for one final go round, guaranteed the last time, so if you wanna restart, now's a good time to do it. Especially if you bought Seira, because she's being made crystal-buyable, and they're rewarding everybody who bought her the hard way with a bunch of free poo poo.

I am intrigued but I don't know what any of these words mean.

Tagichatn posted:

90% of IVs being bad is an exaggeration. -atk is almost always bad but a bunch of characters don't care about -spd and even prefer it.
The problem is that a bad IV roll for a character actually does matter. Yeah -some- characters don't care if they get -atk or -spd but that's because you're using them for other purposes. If your main offensive units got a poo poo roll they're going to lose out on every matchup when the enemy team does unless you can constantly one-shot sweep the enemy which tends to be in the hands of RNG and the meta. IIRC IVs were a 3 point difference either way. So -3 or +3 for a six point difference with a worst/best matchup. That's enough to get doubled if you have -spd and they have +spd. Even small amounts of attack can lead to characters surviving an attack, or getting one shot.

Tagichatn posted:

FEH is still way more generous and friendly than FFBE.system.
Before the roll fix, sure. But in Heroes you can roll any hero at 5* with very little guarantee that you'll ever get the on-banner hero. Have fun with the legion of 5* peri you roll every event, because they're garbage.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

NinjaDebugger posted:

Yeah, it's this and the constant stream of 4 new hero banners that only occur at 5 star that made me say gently caress it and drop it. It just wasn't worth the goddamn time compared to the other two games I play, which are this, and Fantasy War Tactics, aka the most player friendly gacha game. Speaking of which, I know there are people in here who played at one time. Noblesse is coming back for one final go round, guaranteed the last time, so if you wanna restart, now's a good time to do it. Especially if you bought Seira, because she's being made crystal-buyable, and they're rewarding everybody who bought her the hard way with a bunch of free poo poo.

i trained up the red orc dude to max skills when i first started that game and had a good time with it, but i got burnt out. since i cant keep up with summoners war maybe i should reinstall this, hmmmm.

Tagichatn posted:

90% of IVs being bad is an exaggeration. -atk is almost always bad but a bunch of characters don't care about -spd and even prefer it. The endgame is arena but it's not like whales are stomping you constantly. At the highest tier they will but I'm happy in tier 18ish.

FEH is still way more generous and friendly than FFBE. I feel like Gumi hates me but IS is constantly making the game more generous and friendly. Tempest trials used to be super grindy and newer ones make it easier to get points and rewards, especially for newer players. They even have a mini trial that's half the duration and half the points required but the same rewards.

The most popular characters from a vote were just released and you get one for free plus each banner gives you a free roll. FFBE is definitely a deeper game but I like puzzle aspect of FEH and I feel like I get more value out of spending money with the inheritance system and feather system.

by the same virtue that arena whales don't matter in FEH the many unfriendly things Gumi does doesn't matter in FFBE if you just want to clear the story content and don't care about finishing trials.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I mean FFBE isn't Shakespeare, but at least they have an actual story and characters. And you get great lines like "When you have to choose between saving one life or saving a hundred, you do both!" "Let him go. He will save the one, we will save the hundred."
Honestly I've been pleasantly surprised at how good some of the writing is. I mean, the actual story is pretty bland FF, but the dialogue has been surprisingly good. I'm midway through Zoldaad at this point and Lid dunking on Jake every time he gets a bit too flirty has given me more than a few good chuckles.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

rabidsquid posted:

the IV system in FEH is unfathomably cruel for a gacha game

There's a special place in hell for devs who do this poo poo (I pulled an OG Ike with -atk +res :shepicide:) and I'm glad Gumi didn't (or couldn't) use their lovely type system in FFBE because it's annoying as hell in BF. At least they made oracle typing not be -HP, eventually. Anima typing is still the best period because it's +HP.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Before the roll fix, sure. But in Heroes you can roll any hero at 5* with very little guarantee that you'll ever get the on-banner hero. Have fun with the legion of 5* peri you roll every event, because they're garbage.

There's a 3% chance of getting an on banner hero plus an increase in chance as you roll vs a .5% in FFBE. I'm sure people have done the math but I bet it costs way less to get a specific 5* banner character in FEH. The comparison kinda breaks down though because FEH doesn't have 4* and 3* characters on their banner.

rabidsquid posted:

by the same virtue that arena whales don't matter in FEH the many unfriendly things Gumi does doesn't matter in FFBE if you just want to clear the story content and don't care about finishing trials.

They're not really equivalent. Trials gives the best gear in the game and is very binary. Either you win and complete the quests or you get nothing. Arena is also endgame but the difference between being whale tier and a decent f2p is like, a few orbs per week. The best stuff in FEH all comes from quests, trials and grand hero battles. If you do care a lot about being top tier then be a whale or don't play gacha games.

I realize I'm coming off like a FEH shill but the main reason I like it more than FFBE despite its faults, is because it feels like Gumi hates the player. Every cool thing that gets added like expeditions is balanced by poo poo like Eve, double 5* banners being the norm, 8 hour trials and random delays of stuff from JP.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you don't NEED the best gear in the game to do anything in FFBE, other than you know, the trials. yeah they're binary but you don't need aigiaons arm and you can get mog king gear or raid gear that is just fine. they're pretty equivalent.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

you don't NEED the best gear in the game to do anything in FFBE, other than you know, the trials. yeah they're binary but you don't need aigiaons arm and you can get mog king gear or raid gear that is just fine. they're pretty equivalent.

Some of my favorite Reddit posts are when people take scrub teams and down the hard boss of the week.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
FEH feels a lot more conducive to light play than FFBE. You start with a 99 energy bar that recharges one every five minutes so right from day one you can burn your energy bar before bed and wake up before it caps out. There are way less activities to do every day, just three PVP battles a day vs one orb every hour. Nothing like raid orbs from what I've seen so far.

Between rerolling and newbie orbs I managed to end up with a half dozen good units. Now it's just logging in a couple times a day and levelling/ranking up Fire Emblem pokemon to feed to the good ones to get the skills I want. I doubt I'd want to make it my primary game, but it's feels less time intensive than FFBE or FFRK.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cartoon Man posted:

Some of my favorite Reddit posts are when people take scrub teams and down the hard boss of the week.

survival edge and tabby suit are still some of the bis gear and both were mog king items. hell most people thought survival edge was garbage

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rabidsquid posted:

if you don't care at all about the 15 turn requirement you can replicate the team i brought earlier which was EV/2xAshe/Marie, i also had Aria who was completely pointless overkill. the two Ashe will eventually kill Hein no matter what you do so long as you can block statuses. it took awhile but i was in no danger of losing.

Zero Ashes, no consistent way of blocking sleep. :(

No Rem/Tilith/Minfilia, Ilias and Soleil are both at 4*/1 and Aria only has the EXP from farming stages :( :(

Also zero Rikkus or Luneras. :( :( :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Honestly I've been pleasantly surprised at how good some of the writing is. I mean, the actual story is pretty bland FF, but the dialogue has been surprisingly good. I'm midway through Zoldaad at this point and Lid dunking on Jake every time he gets a bit too flirty has given me more than a few good chuckles.

It's the Princess Bride effect. The story is cheesy as heck but it's presented so sincerely you can't help but cheer.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Ok so I have a problem with Hein. Turns out you really need both an amazing MAG unit that can solo him down and you need a way to get status immunity on that unit as well. Despite the generous goons that allow me to use their friend units, I have neither of those things simultaneously, or so I thought.

Enter Ilias. Yes, this worthless nerd is one of the rare few that gets a 100% all-party all-immunity ability and it lasts 3 turns, without enhancements. Like holy poo poo! And since I couldn't give half of a crap about that "no items" mission that gives 10,000 fangs, I'm thinking of abusing his Salve ability (see https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Salve) to just spam Potions of Deception or Hi-Ethers or whatever I need in-between casting Immunization.

After that I think I'll farm Discernments/Ribbons for the next 6 months.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Magistral Crest #1 down. :toot:

...eventually I'll get around to murdering Hein (and the robot) with Fry Power but :effort:

Cartoon Man posted:

Some of those teams are loaded with TMs and gear they got with good teams though which can be a bit misleading at times.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Apparently there is a supreme cheese method for Erinyes.

High MP character
Chainer (ex Chizuru)
Chainer (ex Chizuru)
Setzer w/ fire weapon and x2 demon killer (accessory and materia)

Basically the high MP character gets hit with the STOP on turn 1. Then you chain move, chain move, double dice. If double dice does not chain with AND not land on the best level you close out restart and try again.

I am currently working on getting the fricken key so I can go get the dumb materia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIbll0xYukA

hagie fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 10, 2017

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

hagie posted:

Apparently there is a supreme cheese method for Erinyes.

High MP character
Chainer (ex Chizuru)
Chainer (ex Chizuru)
Setzer w/ fire weapon and x2 demon killer (accessory and materia)

Basically the high MP character gets hit with the STOP on turn 1. Then you chain move, chain move, double dice. If double dice does not chain with AND not land on the best level you close out restart and try again.

I am currently working on getting the fricken key so I can go get the dumb materia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIbll0xYukA

Yeah, this is how I ended up doing it, because trying to fight Erinyes straight up wasn't gonna happen if I didn't kill it ASAP.

I actually did it without the Demon Killer from the key quest, but I did have Diabolos, and Sun Barrette. I brought Flamelord and used his flame imperil Flaming Axe move. I had to make sure Setzer did 300k+ damage with one of the dice moves, and if he did, I closed out and restarted as the damage is already determined. I then did the chain move and made sure to cap it with the dice move that did the 300k damage, resulting in 2x 1+ million damage if I timed the dice move right.

The chainers should have fire weapons as well. You can also use lightning weapons and imperil, too.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 10, 2017

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Office Thug posted:

Ok so I have a problem with Hein.

Trip report, my poor-man idea worked like a charm!

My team was Ilias, Earth Veritas, Dark Veritas with Pod, Tidus with Nethacite, and goon friend Aleyce's Dark Fina with Ultima+2 and 900 MAG. My skill rotation was:

Ilias using Immunization first and then again every 3 turns with Salved items in-between for healing and occasionally MP

Earth Veritas doing Guardian -> Omni Block -> Defensive Barrier -> Guardian and repeat

Dark Veritas did Impact -> A120: Repair -> A120: Repair -> Impact and repeat

Tidus did Get Pumped! -> Nethacite -> Nethacite -> Get Pumped! and repeat until hitting 50%, at which point he did almost only Nethacite every turn until the very last 8% because jesus christ Hein casts two -ga spells every turn otherwise

Dark Fina did Dual Cast - Ultima+2 every turn, and I made sure to do this BEFORE Tidus used Nethacite because on my first attempt I found out the hard way that Nethacite can also absorb any spells cast during your own turn after it's used :downs:

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Dang. Is there a list anywhere of all the limited time units thus far? I'd like to know what I've missed as someone who only started playing anmonth ago.

https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Unit_List#Limited_Unit

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Armitage posted:

Yeah, this is how I ended up doing it, because trying to fight Erinyes straight up wasn't gonna happen if I didn't kill it ASAP.

I actually did it without the Demon Killer from the key quest, but I did have Diabolos, and Sun Barrette. I brought Flamelord and used his flame imperil Flaming Axe move. I had to make sure Setzer did 300k+ damage with one of the dice moves, and if he did, I closed out and restarted as the damage is already determined. I then did the chain move and made sure to cap it with the dice move that did the 300k damage, resulting in 2x 1+ million damage if I timed the dice move right.

The chainers should have fire weapons as well. You can also use lightning weapons and imperil, too.

I just realized it costs no NRG to do this so I can just give up

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Evil Fluffy posted:

Magistral Crest #1 down. :toot:

...eventually I'll get around to murdering Hein (and the robot) with Fry Power but :effort:

Some of those teams are loaded with TMs and gear they got with good teams though which can be a bit misleading at times.

there are plenty of "this is how you beat aigiaon. okay first you need two 2B and a friend 2B" but then theres poo poo like Boberochs guides which don't use time limited units, 5*s, or any non friend point TMRs

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Office Thug posted:

Ok so I have a problem with Hein. Turns out you really need both an amazing MAG unit that can solo him down and you need a way to get status immunity on that unit as well. Despite the generous goons that allow me to use their friend units, I have neither of those things simultaneously, or so I thought.

Enter Ilias. Yes, this worthless nerd is one of the rare few that gets a 100% all-party all-immunity ability and it lasts 3 turns, without enhancements. Like holy poo poo! And since I couldn't give half of a crap about that "no items" mission that gives 10,000 fangs, I'm thinking of abusing his Salve ability (see https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Salve) to just spam Potions of Deception or Hi-Ethers or whatever I need in-between casting Immunization.

After that I think I'll farm Discernments/Ribbons for the next 6 months.
Ilias is the most under appreciated unit, especially since his healing is even more crazy if you built up a supply of expedition items.
This is him using a greater scroll of healing.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 10, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What are the friend point TMRs I should be looking for, anyway? A lot of the stuff is really weak (as one would expect) and hasn't lept out at me except for slayer abilities.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
The killers and camouflage are the big ones. After that the 10% HP are good if you don't have any other HP materia.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Bruceski posted:

What are the friend point TMRs I should be looking for, anyway? A lot of the stuff is really weak (as one would expect) and hasn't lept out at me except for slayer abilities.

camoflague for your healer/squishier units, is on montana.
10%hp on rizer, always good for survivability, and once you get better you can put them on expedition units.
paul has escape, useful for explorations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

survival edge and tabby suit are still some of the bis gear and both were mog king items. hell most people thought survival edge was garbage

Shuuuut uuuuuuuup I'm still mad I couldn't afford them.

Beat Trial Hein. Wasn't able to get the gauntlets this time, got all other missions. I forgot move rotations a couple of times with some characters, it'll be easier with a full party and item use. Ace it 9S dying made things take a little longer than I would have liked.

9S: Spread Shield, MAG/SPR Purge, Repair from Pod 153, repeat.
Tillith: Affectionate Aura, Celestial Light, Prism Heal, repeat.
Ace: Support Hand. That's it.
Marie: Lovely Guard, Love You All, Reflect on the party member in worst shape (Ace or 9S), repeat.
Tengama's Emperor: Dualcast Alterna. The main problem here is Alterna is expensive and Ace and Tillith weren't enough to let him cast every turn, which would have beaten Hein in under 15 turns.

Need to use ethers or chocolates or elixirs next time.

Honestly the worst part about trials is having to re-gear for each one, when we should be able to have different equipment loadouts for each team... I wonder when someone is going to ask that at a Festa...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Honestly the worst part about trials is having to re-gear for each one, when we should be able to have different equipment loadouts for each team... I wonder when someone is going to ask that at a Festa...

What little I know of Gumi from this and Brave Frontier, I'd wager this was by design. What good is the TMR system if you only need one of any given TMR? Whale more, players, get 800 Dual Wields for convenience.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Armitage posted:

I just pulled it off without Demon Killer as well, and I didn't have enough Dual Wields for Setzer + 2 5-frame Chainers so I used 2 Ashe spark-chaining Heaven's Fury instead. Setzer used a Coral Sword + Sun Barrette and I had a non-maxxed Reberta using Lightning Breath to inflict -50% lightning resist. It was just about as cheap and lovely as it could get for a setup, but I killed the thing on my 2nd attempt. I have no idea what to do with the harp though!

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 10, 2017

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Office Thug posted:

I just pulled it off without Demon Killer as well, and I didn't have enough Dual Wields for Setzer + 2 5-frame Chainers so I used 2 Ashe spark-chaining Heaven's Fury instead. Setzer used a Coral Sword + Sun Barrette and I had a non-maxxed Reberta using Lightning Breath to inflict -50% lightning resist. It was just about as cheap and lovely as it could get for a setup, but I killed the thing on my 2nd attempt. I have no idea what to do with the harp though!

save the harp for future king mog events, any bonus units that can weild it can be useful.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

KataraniSword posted:

What little I know of Gumi from this and Brave Frontier, I'd wager this was by design. What good is the TMR system if you only need one of any given TMR? Whale more, players, get 800 Dual Wields for convenience.

One would still need and have multiples which most casual players won't ever get, though. It's only a timesaving QoL nod.

It would only ease the pain slightly overall.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Yo this game is good as hell. I bought the bundles and I have 6 4-star dudes now.

Should I eat the duplicate one for exp?

I've got them to the cap; should I run the main story so I can get the materials to boost their star ranks?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

beergod posted:

Yo this game is good as hell. I bought the bundles and I have 6 4-star dudes now.

Should I eat the duplicate one for exp?

I've got them to the cap; should I run the main story so I can get the materials to boost their star ranks?

Well, what 4* dudes do you actually have?

And remember, the real journey is getting them to 6* (if they can), as that's where a lot of their power comes in.

And yes you should run the main story as it unlocks places to get certain materials and gives you more Lapis for rolls in general (join us in despair rolls, brother).

edit: also I wish I could find the time to play a bit more, I do like the game and my main team was pretty drat good and on the way to being better since I was on the cusp of DW for Rem.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 10, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
If you beat Erinyes the first time, she shows up in the Chamber of the Fallen in the Vortex now with some missions for a total of 100 Lapis. They're pretty contradictory though, there's a "Use 4 units" and "Beat in less than 10 turns one", and an "Evoke an Esper" one.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
any MEmu users know how to disable google play from popping up over FFBE to inform me of all the hurricane irma related apps they have to offer me?

I turned off notifications for all programs but that didnt help, if I uninstall/disable them then FFBE wont launch.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Hi posted:

any MEmu users know how to disable google play from popping up over FFBE to inform me of all the hurricane irma related apps they have to offer me?

I turned off notifications for all programs but that didnt help, if I uninstall/disable them then FFBE wont launch.

Don't let it know your location. Google play leaves me in peace because I don't let it know where I am so it can't offer me 'great local offers and information'.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
I turned location off as well and its still popping up.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

SpaceDrake posted:

Well, what 4* dudes do you actually have?

And remember, the real journey is getting them to 6* (if they can), as that's where a lot of their power comes in.

And yes you should run the main story as it unlocks places to get certain materials and gives you more Lapis for rolls in general (join us in despair rolls, brother).

edit: also I wish I could find the time to play a bit more, I do like the game and my main team was pretty drat good and on the way to being better since I was on the cusp of DW for Rem.

Hope Amelia chizuru Ilias aria and rain

E: and soleil

beergod fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 10, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I recently enhanced my Agrias and was jokingly made fun of in the discord for paying the King's ransom to do it. No lie it's extremely expensive. But I recently read a post on Reddit that made me feel better. Apparently the real value is going come when we get the 10 man fights, which are coming soon. Your not allowed to bring a friend unit and you're also not allowed to bring a duplicate unit. So if you're like me and have a Cid but no Darklandu, then this would definitely seem worth doing.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'll do it next time we get a raid to fill up on gold with, but I'm strapped from chasing Adventurer III (have not started on IV yet) and enhancing Marie last raid. Agrias was my first decently strong unit pull and got me through a lot of content early on. It was cool using her again for the FFT MK event. But, I only have Large Sword Mastery, no other materia that enhance greatswords. In general I need to spend some more NRG getting more useful materia.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Are the 5% resists from this King Mog event even worth anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hagie posted:

Are the 5% resists from this King Mog event even worth anything?

See them as sixteen extra +10% HP materia to slap on your expedition units without having to farm Rizers.

If that's something worth your spicy green Hein currency, then go nuts.

• Locked thread