Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Arcsech posted:

we piss test on hiring but if we ever did it to existing employees we'd probably lose >50% of the engineers because we're in Colorado

ofc none of the managers care, hr is hr and insists

hr works for the company, if the managers actually run the company they should tell HR to go gently caress they selves and have more reasonable policies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i wonder how much variation there is w/r/t security protocols in these piss labs.

i seriously thought they strip search you on your way to the toilet and then listen at the door while you go

lol no it's "find a lab and give them this form i guess" and then the lab is "uh bathroom's thataway, here's your cup." there is zero security, it's entirely due diligence theater for investors and/or insurers and every person at every step along the way is perfectly aware of this. but i guess "hey jump through this stupid hr hoop" is beneath some elite upper echelon of computer touchers? idk, never been in it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

eschaton posted:

hr works for the company, if the managers actually run the company they should tell HR to go gently caress they selves and have more reasonable policies

lol if you think this ever happens

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

managers and senior execs go through it because they know it's a dumb thing that reduces their insurance costs slightly

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah we got forklifts and big trucks and poo poo where i work, it's pretty understandable they don't want anyone wandering out into the warehouse while high.

if this is the case they'd test regularly

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FrozenVent posted:

lol if you think this ever happens

it sure does, I've seen it, around hiring stuff too

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

if you've been piss tested then the company you work for is garbage, possibly because it's in a garbage country

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
some states offer considerable incentives to piss test your workforce. if you work in a piss test state, you have probably been piss tested at previous jobs.

hence all the goons itt who laugh at the very idea of a piss test -- they live in states that don't incentivize it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
piss tests are demeaning but i'll debase myself a little for six and a half figgies, esp when a bunch of other nerds won't even look at the job because of it, that's more figgies for me

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I submitted my piss to get mad figs and I’d do it again

I was sure I’d fail so I told my new employer I was taking two weeks vacation and couldn’t piss until after and they were like yeah whatever

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

raminasi posted:

but i guess "hey jump through this stupid hr hoop" is beneath some elite upper echelon of computer touchers?

correct

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Only piss test I've taken was for an internship years ago in a production factory environment. I thought it was interesting that I had to take a breathalyzer as part of the physical too. Were they checking that I didn't show up to the physical drunk??

I smoke every now and then but I'd take a piss test as part of a job screening. Honestly, I do more things myself to demean my pride than peeing in a cup for someone.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bhodi posted:

piss tests are demeaning but i'll debase myself a little for six and a half figgies, esp when a bunch of other nerds won't even look at the job because of it, that's more figgies for me

Noones arguing that, I would do that too. Like I said, if it's just bog standard computer toucher job I would prob refuse unless I was desperate.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Steve Jorbs posted:

Only piss test I've taken was for an internship years ago in a production factory environment. I thought it was interesting that I had to take a breathalyzer as part of the physical too. Were they checking that I didn't show up to the physical drunk??

I smoke every now and then but I'd take a piss test as part of a job screening. Honestly, I do more things myself to demean my pride than peeing in a cup for someone.

Given it's a factory, and depending on the type of device you were breathing into, they may be doing a lung capacity test to make sure you don't black the gently caress out if you need to do any physical activity. It's an environment with a lot of older fat chain smokers, so having people up a croak from a massive massive coronary is a thing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Flat Daddy posted:

the best life is being a lazy dipshit who still exceeds expectations somehow

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Flat Daddy posted:

the best life is being a lazy dipshit who still exceeds expectations somehow

But sooner or later they want you to start taking on more responsibility or racking up certs or other bullshit *heavy sigh*

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Boiled Water posted:

if you've been piss tested then the company you work for is garbage, possibly because it's in a garbage country

:agreed:

lol that this is normal in the USA

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I've handed over piss, blood, DNA, and just about every other bodily fluid on a regular basis to the Navy for twenty years, so a few more vials for COMPANY$ is no big deal.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

ltugo posted:

I've handed over piss, blood, DNA, and just about every other bodily fluid on a regular basis to the Navy for twenty years, so a few more vials for COMPANY$ is no big deal.

Why does the Navy need all that stuff?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

:agreed:

lol that this is normal in the USA

Well, we have racial minorities that we need to keep unemployed.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Doom Mathematic posted:

space corp cloning project

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

if you've been piss tested then the company you work for is garbage

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

Doom Mathematic posted:

I was in boot camp in late 1994 when the Navy first started collecting DNA from new recruits. One of us raised his hand and asked why they needed that stuff.

"When you get hit by a silkworm missile, we can scrape some of the goo off the bulkhead and put it through a computer to find out who you were so we can notify your family!"

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

how bad is it to have no degree? rn i'm putting $university $timespan $course on my resume despite dropping out, i wonder how hosed i'll be when it comes to applying for another job after 3+ years of paid computer touching

i mean i doubt most people give a poo poo but still

EU if it makes a diff, none of this background check poo poo here lol

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

how bad is it to have no degree? rn i'm putting $university $timespan $course on my resume despite dropping out, i wonder how hosed i'll be when it comes to applying for another job after 3+ years of paid computer touching

US person with a degree

I don't think anyone cares beyond the HR filter stage, so maybe knowing people becomes more important? You'll definitely run into some companies that will bin your resume if you send it cold.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

no one really gives a poo poo after you already have actual experience on your resume. well, in america at least, not sure if eu is any different.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Steve Jorbs posted:

you'd apparently be surprised how many of the people you worked with on the floor were drunk (well drinking - takes a lot for a real alcoholic to get drunk) all day every day

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

leper khan posted:

US person with a degree

I don't think anyone cares beyond the HR filter stage, so maybe knowing people becomes more important? You'll definitely run into some companies that will bin your resume if you send it cold.

fair, tbh

my resume looks similar to someone who didn't put their GPA on; im just not explicitly claiming i graduated

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

From experience, not having a degree hurts when trying to get a job and go through recruiters or HR who take a degree as
mandatory, when consulting (because agencies and those contracting them put on similar requirements) and if you're trying to emigrate anywhere -- not having a degree automatically puts you in the ´unqualified worker' bin no matter how much real world experience you have.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

:rip: just got rejected

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

sucks

keep interviewing tho

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

you'd apparently be surprised how many of the people you worked with on the floor were drunk (well drinking - takes a lot for a real alcoholic to get drunk) all day every day
I worked at a scrapyard throughout high school and early college so I'm well aware of how much drinking goes on. I don't even remember the one guy's name I only ever knew him as Old Milwaukee.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

ThePeavstenator posted:

at least they didnt leave you hanging v:shobon:v

good luck and may figgies be in your future.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
tip: if you get any contact from JobSpring Partners, Work Bridge, or Seven Step, do not touch. these are all DBAs of the same recruiting organization that, when the dot-com boom busted, turned into a kind of pirate organization that contacts people more often to pump them for job market intel than to fill positions

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bhodi posted:

whats so demeaning about it, most people piss every day and those who don't should see a doctor. what does it matter if it gets tested

god help you and your tender sensibilities if you ever have a procedure that requires you to wear a foley catheter for any amount of time

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Gazpacho posted:

whats so demeaning about it, most people piss every day and those who don't should see a doctor. what does it matter if it gets tested

god help you and your tender sensibilities if you ever have a procedure that requires you to wear a foley catheter for any amount of time

It's less about the piss and more about it being collected and tested and it having very little to do with your ability to perform a job.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's less about the piss and more about it being collected and tested and it having very little to do with your ability to perform a job.

Just did a piss test for my new second job. That's right I work for two different companies thus I am better than you.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Arcsech posted:

sucks

keep interviewing tho

the worst part about it was the feedback of "they're looking for someone with more positive software engineering experience"

I'm beating myself up because I talked way more about the hardest stuff I've worked on and about how I managed chaotic environments (with carefully chosen language) which definitely still sounded like me being incompetent/blaming people

feels like if I only talked about the easy poo poo I've done that worked right away it would have been a yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Gazpacho posted:

tip: if you get any contact from JobSpring Partners, Work Bridge, or Seven Step, do not touch.
Whenever these shitheads email me, I send them one page of resume followed by fifty of "gently caress off'"

• Locked thread