Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've done better than I usually do with speccing lately.

A month ago a friend was ranting about a possible change to the Legendary rule, so I picked up a Captain Sisay for ~$15 (wish I'd got a foil!). I also picked up a playset of Mana Vortex for $15 total a couple weeks ago, and a Yavimaya Hollow for a ten spot.

As always, I never put money into magic that I am not prepared to burn, which keeps me from actually making money even when my intuition is correct...

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

standard.deviant posted:

Yeah, it's sort of surprising that a judge would screw that up. It seems like a good 20-30% of most intro judge training materials revolve around "what is the CMC now" type questions.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. We were the third question at the table and it was "Can you spell queller a flashed back conflagrate?" And he said "Yes, you can."

Probably should have been more specific in the question but both of us players didn't realize the Mana cost interaction there. We assumed it was 2 red 2X is 4. Not 5.

Oh well you live and learn. I still would have won.

Edit: hahahahaha the FtV Sisays I have are 55 bucks. That's so loving stupid. I think I payed a dollar.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So I took UB turns to the local weekly last night. Lately there's been a lot of midrange decks, tron, control and blood moon decks, nothing too fast. Turns is dumb but kinda fun and actually seems kinda good in certain metas, although I wouldn't want to play it at a big event. 3-1 tonight and my only loss was just baaarely losing to grixis shadow, I missed a crucial land drop early that left me 1 land short late in the game to get lethal right on time. I have no idea how midrange decks or UW control are supposed to beat turns because of how good gigadrowse is, they absolutely have to be able to remove the howling mine effects or they lose. I don't usually play strict combo decks so it was kinda fun to change it up.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Is anybody here into Canadian Highlander and would want to play on XMage? My friend who plays won't have a new computer for at least a month.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Anyone doing legacy challenges at gpdc?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
What do y'all think of Settle the Wreckage? It seems like a pretty strong mass removal spell given that it deals with man lands and can actually wipe the board against Dredge. Obviously not being able to hit static creatures (Bob, Electromancer, some combo creatures) makes it worse than like Supreme Verdict in some situations, but it can also be played alongside your own creatures and being able to hit man lands and being a real wrath against Dredge seems pretty relevant. I dunno, it seems to me like it might have some legs.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Sorry, comedy answer purely in the context of a pox deck.

Sadbot would be better but is also 4 mana

I wish Sadbot was Modern playable so bad

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

TheKingofSprings posted:

I wish Sadbot was Modern playable so bad

I've seen it in two very fringe contexts: Mono-B Tron (mostly because of recurring value loops with Trading Post and Ichor Wellspring) and Mono-B Death Cloud (which also runs mind stone)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

What do y'all think of Settle the Wreckage? It seems like a pretty strong mass removal spell given that it deals with man lands and can actually wipe the board against Dredge. Obviously not being able to hit static creatures (Bob, Electromancer, some combo creatures) makes it worse than like Supreme Verdict in some situations, but it can also be played alongside your own creatures and being able to hit man lands and being a real wrath against Dredge seems pretty relevant. I dunno, it seems to me like it might have some legs.

Which deck has a problem with manlands/swarms but also cares about not wrathing its own guys?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Which deck has a problem with manlands/swarms but also cares about not wrathing its own guys?

I could see it in the D&T sideboard if elves and merfolk style decks got popular, those matchups are pretty bad and that card could make a significant difference.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Literally nothing you can do will make elves a good matchup and merfolk folds to a few Jitte hits just like every other creature deck. Paying 4 mana for a non-creature spell against the deck that kills you on turn 2.5 is also not a very good plan imo. Wing Shards would be a better option and literally nobody has ever cast that card, including me because I've never drawn it. Never mind that they're probably up 10 cards even if you do wipe their board.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Literally nothing you can do will make elves a good matchup and merfolk folds to a few Jitte hits just like every other creature deck. Paying 4 mana for a non-creature spell against the deck that kills you on turn 2.5 is also not a very good plan imo. Wing Shards would be a better option and literally nobody has ever cast that card, including me because I've never drawn it. Never mind that they're probably up 10 cards even if you do wipe their board.

I was talking about modern.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I have cast wing shards. Once. Vs a mentor/pyromancer list in vintage. They sacced everything but the mentor and it still killed me. 10/10 would play again.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

That new merfolk lord makes jitte way less threatening

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the benevolent gods at wotc have given us Opt in modern. it replaces sleight of hand in storm, right? I don't really see where it's worse and it is much better in the situation where you want the top two cards of your library.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

the benevolent gods at wotc have given us Opt in modern. it replaces sleight of hand in storm, right? I don't really see where it's worse and it is much better in the situation where you want the top two cards of your library.

Does Serum Visions ever see play again?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Serum Visions will still be unplayable and will still see play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

It seems worse in the instance where the card on top is even worse than the card you bottomed

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

Serum Visions will still be unplayable and will still see play.

Yes, but at least Visions can be cantrips 5-8 for decks that are going deep instead of literally the best filtering in the format.

EoT Opt is gonna be pretty nice with Snapcaster, too.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i think we've all come to the conclusion that ponder should be unbanned

great work, everyone

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

i think we've all come to the conclusion that ponder should be unbanned

great work, everyone

This but unironically

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like Opt is probably better than Visions in Snapcaster decks but worse in storm. Of course it also feels much less bad to cast, which has to be worth something

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
There has been a lot of back and forth on using Opt in Ad Naus. It's probably better turn 1 compared to Visions. This may also create 12 cantrip Ad Naus, so we shall see.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
X-post: Iconic Masters previews are happening at Hascon and they're uhhhhhhh pretty dece.

Horizon Canopy (and the whole FUT land cycle)
Flusterstorm
Mana Drain
Cryptic Command
Ancestral Visions
Auriok Champion
Glimpse the Unthinkable
Aether Vial
Magus of the Moon
Thoughtseize (with its original art)
Others that I'm probably forgetting

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 8, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

X-post: Iconic Masters previews are happening at Hascon and they're uhhhhhhh pretty dece.

Horizon Canopy (and the whole FUT land cycle)
Flusterstorm
Mana Drain
Cryptic Command
Ancestral Visions
Auriok Champion (at uncommon)
Glimpse the Unthinkable
Aether Vial
Magus of the Moon
Thoughtseize (with its original art)
Others that I'm probably forgetting

Channel
Fireball

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

A big list of cards that were in my buylist pile.
Can I get snappy at rare please ?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Snacksmaniac posted:

A big list of cards that were in my buylist pile.
Can I get snappy at rare please ?

No. I also have no hope in Noble Hierarch getting a reprint.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Opt seems quite a bit weaker than Sleight of Hand in decks where being instant speed doesn't matter. The only real situation where Opt is better is when both cards are equally good, are good in multiples, and they're better than the third card on top of your library. In any situation where you would want to compare the top two cards of your library, Sleight of Hand is much better. If your second card is bad, Opt is much worse than Sleight of Hand. At a basic level you get exactly two possibilities with Opt: Either you see a bad card and ditch it, or you see a good card and keep it. With Sleight of Hand, you have a much more nuanced decision. You can see a bad card and a bad card, in which case you choose the better bad card, a good card and a bad card, in which you choose the good card, or you can see a good card and a good card, in which case you take the better card. If you break it down even further, Sleight of Hand has the following possible combinations:

1. bad vs worse
2. worse vs bad
3. bad vs good
4. good vs bad
5. good vs great
6. great vs good

In situations 1 and 4, Sleight of Hand is clearly better than Opt. Opt is strictly better than Sleight of Hand in situation 6. In situations 2 and 3, Sleight of Hand is equivalent to Opt. Situation 5 is sometimes better for Opt and sometimes better for Sleight of Hand; I'll call it a wash since it can be very good for Opt but it can also be very good for Sleight. It really depends on the situation. However, what you get from this is that Sleight of Hand is better than Opt in more situations than Opt is better than Sleight of Hand. Protecting yourself against drawing a bad second card or drawing an even worse card off the effect is quite a big game for Sleight and will probably stop Opt from supplanting it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Got 2nd in a 22 player vintage tournament today. My prizes are below:

Decklist
https://deckbox.org/sets/373942

I was playing BUG. It was super fun. I beat Oath round 1, lost to shops round 2, beat mono-white hatebears round 3, beat UR delver round 4, ID'd with painter servent combo round 5 (played for fun, 2-0'd them easily), beat same shops in top 8, beat a different oath in top 4, then lost to dredge in the finals (game 2 was a mull to 5 to find a keepable hand irregardless of hate).

Surprises: JVP was godawful. I had played it before in mentor lists to good success, but it was just miserable today in this list. I cast DT ~10 times today. 8 were for finding either Ramunap Excavator or Strip Mine to setup that lock. The other 2 were for Lotus once and Energy Flux another time. Ramunap Excavator +waste/strip won me easily half of my games on its own. Being a crucible with legs was so critical it wasn't even funny.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 10, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

why is a crucible that dies to bolt, stp, and dismember critical when you're just demonic tutoring for it anyway?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

why is a crucible that dies to bolt, stp, and dismember critical when you're just demonic tutoring for it anyway?

because it allowed him to wasteland repeatedly and crush his opponent's mana base and is easier to recover than a crucible being a creature?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

AkumaHokoru posted:

because it allowed him to wasteland repeatedly and crush his opponent's mana base and is easier to recover than a crucible being a creature?
It's also not an artifact. Keep in mind that while people do have creature removal in Vintage, a huge portion of the meta revolves around the ability to kill artifacts.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

standard.deviant posted:

It's also not an artifact. Keep in mind that while people do have creature removal in Vintage, a huge portion of the meta revolves around the ability to kill artifacts.

And push/swords/bolt are all Missteppable

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

standard.deviant posted:

You can also GSZ for it and it can attack. Being able to attack is v good (this shouldn't need to be said, but apparently it does). It's actually a win con, whereas crucible typically demands some form of pressure to go alongside it.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 10, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Dack can't steal it either. Vintage is weird.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I played in my first ever Vintage event this weekend (full proxy), had a blast and learned a ton about the format.

I ran this Oath variant mashed up from a bunch of lists I liked:
https://deckbox.org/sets/1799460

I went 2-3 with all three losses being to Paradoxical Outcome decks (one Oath/Storm variant, one Tezzeret variant, and one pure PO Storm). The deck dunks on Shops and most other creature-based decks, but other combo decks that can go off faster seem like a pretty big weakness. At least a couple game losses were probably down to my inexperience though, particularly in mulliganing for hands with fast enough starts or enough disruption, and knowing how to properly sideboard.

That BUG list looks really great though, and if I end up playing more Vintage I definitely want to try something like that. It also seems like Storm could be a rough matchup if you don't have Null Rod or Flusterstorm in your opener, but if you make it past the first few turns you may have a decent chance of locking down the game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Nibble posted:

The deck dunks on Shops

What no that can't be true.

And yeah, not surprised about losing to PO. Most decks do.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
If Shops has a super disruptive start I can see falling behind, but when you only really need to resolve a single 2-mana spell to win it seems like Oath has a pretty good edge. Post-board they obviously have Cage, but I was running enough Decays and Grudges that it wasn't an issue.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Nibble posted:

If Shops has a super disruptive start I can see falling behind, but when you only really need to resolve a single 2-mana spell to win it seems like Oath has a pretty good edge. Post-board they obviously have Cage, but I was running enough Decays and Grudges that it wasn't an issue.

No, it was a joke. Oath is an absolutely awful matchup for Shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Unfamiliarity with the format and community gets me yet again :doh: