Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nevets posted:

Are we talking Matrix style harvesting chemical energy from regular humans (cause that's dumb), or Babylon 5 style exploiting another species telepaths cause they don't have any (cause that's awesome)?

Would be cool as a way for non-organics to access the shroud.

The former, I think. Pretty sure it's just like normal processing for food except they spit out energy instead of food as they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

The former, I think. Pretty sure it's just like normal processing for food except they spit out energy instead of food as they die.

So basically hooking people up to giant hamster wheels and making them generate power until they die

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Crazycryodude posted:

Certain synthetic empires can plug organic pops into the Matrix and harvest them for energy. It was in one of the earlier dev diaries.
They should spit out science instead as per :words: :spergin:

binge crotching posted:

So basically hooking people up to giant hamster wheels and making them generate power until they die
Oh that's fine then. Presumably the snaliens are pretty bad at it

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 8, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Robots shouldn't be able to access the Shroud. Having explicit evidence that souls are real and you gave yours up to be soul-less immortals is much cooler than the alternative.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

Robots shouldn't be able to access the Shroud. Having explicit evidence that souls are real and you gave yours up to be soul-less immortals is much cooler than the alternative.

Also have the transference power shroud creatures so you go full necron.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's the annoucnement trailer.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The borg machine empire should definitely be able to be spiritualist and access the shroud. I want a crazy robot hivemind kidnapping organics to harvest their psychic juices for use in religious ceremomies. :colbert:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want an option to make matrix'd organics generate unity and research (organic CPU's!) with all the downsides of a reverse AI rebellion.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

hobbesmaster posted:

Also have the transference power shroud creatures so you go full necron.

That would be cool as an endgame state where you could choose to hibernate for X years and just let the game go until your race wakes up again.

Like if you're losing to a galactic menace, instead of trying to fight; you put resources into building a project that once completed hides your race and lets you wait it out. Basically Mass Effect Protheans who come back out after the menace is gone.

Presumably both Scourge and Unbidden leave after scouring the galaxy so new presentients and sentients can pop up and start building again.

Dunno what the AI rebellion would do after winning, but maybe that plays into what Synthetic Dawn is selling.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

OGS-Remix posted:

That would be cool as an endgame state where you could choose to hibernate for X years and just let the game go until your race wakes up again.

Like if you're losing to a galactic menace, instead of trying to fight; you put resources into building a project that once completed hides your race and lets you wait it out. Basically Mass Effect Protheans who come back out after the menace is gone.

Presumably both Scourge and Unbidden leave after scouring the galaxy so new presentients and sentients can pop up and start building again.

Dunno what the AI rebellion would do after winning, but maybe that plays into what Synthetic Dawn is selling.

Let us be the reapers too.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Nevets posted:

Are we talking Matrix style harvesting chemical energy from regular humans (cause that's dumb), or Babylon 5 style exploiting another species telepaths cause they don't have any (cause that's awesome)?

Would be cool as a way for non-organics to access the shroud.

I think it's the fact they wanted a "livestock" option for robots and since robots cost energy (I think?) energy makes sense.

How that's then justified in game terms is basically "Look it's a matrix reference"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I want an option to make matrix'd organics generate unity and research (organic CPU's!) with all the downsides of a reverse AI rebellion.

Ground unit: Neo: 10000k HP 200 damage.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

OwlFancier posted:

Ground unit: Neo: 10000k HP 200 damage.

Still easy to lockdown with one corvette when he leaves the planet :smug:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So I'm trying to decide between this and Endless Space 2. Based on the rave reviews of Europa Universalis, I was leaning towards this one, but some Steam reviewers are saying the game is really shallow once you get past the first few hours, so I held back on pulling the trigger.

On the other hand I've played Endless Legend and it was a fantastic 4X game, probably one of the best of its kind - and ES2 is supposed to be EL on steroids. Hence my indecision.

Thoughts?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

So I'm trying to decide between this and Endless Space 2. Based on the rave reviews of Europa Universalis, I was leaning towards this one, but some Steam reviewers are saying the game is really shallow once you get past the first few hours, so I held back on pulling the trigger.

On the other hand I've played Endless Legend and it was a fantastic 4X game, probably one of the best of its kind - and ES2 is supposed to be EL on steroids. Hence my indecision.

Thoughts?

Endless Space 2 is very shallow and a step back from EL. Stellaris has problems, but ES2 mostly has them worse. ES2's advantages over Stellaris are a very slick presentation, strongly themed factions that offer a start on your playstyle, and a stronger (albeit still not great) narrative arc.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

Endless Space 2 is very shallow and a step back from EL. Stellaris has problems, but ES2 mostly has them worse. ES2's advantages over Stellaris are a very slick presentation, strongly themed factions that offer a start on your playstyle, and a stronger (albeit still not great) narrative arc.

On the other hand, if you like to make your own faction and stories, the entire Endless Legends series will be the worst games ever for you.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

enraged_camel posted:

Thoughts?

Having played both, at the moment I prefer Stellaris over ES2. ES2 has some great atmosphere, but I find the game to be incredibly shallow in its current form, especially compared to Endless Legend. Stellaris can indeed be shallow as well, but I find there are a lot of modding options to change that or fine tune the issues that you don't enjoy about the game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Libluini posted:

On the other hand, if you like to make your own faction and stories, the entire Endless Legends series will be the worst games ever for you.

Probably not a problem for someone who thought EL was the best game ever.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

True.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

I didn't say it was the best game ever, I said I thought it was one of the best of its kind. About the only game that topped it was Civ 4 with all expansions imo.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback y'all.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

enraged_camel posted:

Thoughts?

I have both, stellaris is far more interesting and has a much higher replay value. Also I find endless space 2's combat system to be boring compared to stellaris.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I too have both, and I've spent many more hours playing Stellaris. I'm not sure what it is - possibly the combat - but ES2 just doesn't grab me in the same way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

some Steam reviewers are saying the game is really shallow once you get past the first few hours, so I held back on pulling the trigger.

Yes that's an apt descriptor of endless space.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
There's mods that brings probably the best part of ES2 into Stellaris as well, the soundtrack

Midnightghoul fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 9, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Midnightghoul posted:

Here's a mod that brings probably the best part of ES2 into Stellaris http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=928357704

that's a pirate mod fwiw

Absum
May 28, 2013

This thread is hella biased, they're both ok games that can (and will) get better and which you prefer depends on what you want from your spacegame. I have about the same amount of time in both but I prefer ES2 a little bit cause I can actually finish a game of ES2 while Stellaris late-midgame and lategame are a massive pain in the butt so I've never even seen a Crisis (well maybe there was a failed AI rebellion once idk).

Try asking in the Endless thread as well probably?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Cease to Hope posted:

that's a pirate mod fwiw

Huh? It looks like a music mod to me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Huh? It looks like a music mod to me.

As in copyright infringing. :laugh:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Absum posted:

This thread is hella biased, they're both ok games that can (and will) get better and which you prefer depends on what you want from your spacegame. I have about the same amount of time in both but I prefer ES2 a little bit cause I can actually finish a game of ES2 while Stellaris late-midgame and lategame are a massive pain in the butt so I've never even seen a Crisis (well maybe there was a failed AI rebellion once idk).

i mean, do that, but the endless thread is pretty down on ES2 too now that release hype is passed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

hobbesmaster posted:

As in copyright infringing. :laugh:

Oh poo poo haha gently caress

My head was totally not in the right space to parse that

:v:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Which mods are especially good for removing sectors? Or do sectors get better as the game progresses? I have no idea why they're even there, it's very annoying

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Which mods are especially good for removing sectors? Or do sectors get better as the game progresses? I have no idea why they're even there, it's very annoying

There probably are mods but the whole point is to a) remove micromanagement and b) limit direct player control to core worlds.

Sectors used to be total trash but they are a lot better now, if you let them keep a decent mineral income the AI will grow the sector well and you can see what they are doing. That combined with the fact you can seize their resource deposits basically means in times of war fully developed sectors act as resource caches.

They still need tweaking but Wiz will be the first to tell you the only way they get better is by people playing with them and if they do something dumb submit a bug report with the save game file.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Kitchner posted:

There probably are mods but the whole point is to a) remove micromanagement and b) limit direct player control to core worlds.

Sectors used to be total trash but they are a lot better now, if you let them keep a decent mineral income the AI will grow the sector well and you can see what they are doing. That combined with the fact you can seize their resource deposits basically means in times of war fully developed sectors act as resource caches.

They still need tweaking but Wiz will be the first to tell you the only way they get better is by people playing with them and if they do something dumb submit a bug report with the save game file.

Agreed. Sectors used to be really bad but now you have enough control over them that you can just throw a bunch of planets in and call it a day. If you really want to make things easy, just tell the sector to go for balanced resources and respect tile resources and you'll end up with a decent stream of minerals/energy/science plus an extra cache of resources if you need them. Planetary management is not tons of fun to begin with so I can't imagine why people would want to directly control 20+ planets at once.

The only real downside with sectors is you lose the ability to quickly access their spaceports build screens. Hopefully someday we get the ability to build fleets so you don't need to micromanage spaceports anymore.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

GamingHyena posted:

The only real downside with sectors is you lose the ability to quickly access their spaceports build screens. Hopefully someday we get the ability to build fleets so you don't need to micromanage spaceports anymore.

:agreed:

I'm sure there's mods for this but it is a pretty big UI oversight. Hopefully it'll get tweaked in a patch at some point.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
And, the thing about giving sectors decent income is critical. If you give a sector more than just a couple undeveloped frontier colony worlds, they'll do just fine. If you do start them with poo poo, you'll have to toss them a bunch of starting minerals and energy via the planets/sectors screen or they won't accomplish anything.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Surprise Giraffe posted:

It's a deliberate game mechanic to force you to a) stop micromanaging, and b) penalize you for having a large empire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be nice if sectors offered you something instead of being a fairly universal downgrade, being able to use them as expansions to your resource stockpile is good, but stuff like being able to centralize production of ships using the resources of all the shipyards, or letting them have their own free upkeep defence fleets separate from your naval cap would be nice.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
:agreed: with the sector chat

Anyone else notice sectors don't seem to bother making colonies even if the setting is on?
Mine have like more than 10k spare energy and metal plus a mountain of sweet rear end planets I like so much I end up doing it manually, cos they just don't do anything ever.
Am I being retarded?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kaffo posted:

:agreed: with the sector chat

Anyone else notice sectors don't seem to bother making colonies even if the setting is on?
Mine have like more than 10k spare energy and metal plus a mountain of sweet rear end planets I like so much I end up doing it manually, cos they just don't do anything ever.
Am I being retarded?

Possibly. I mean I have to sometimes boost my sectors by colonizing planets inside their borders for them, but generally they can't get enough of sending out new colony ships by themselves. As long as enough good planets are part of the sector, that is.

Have you tried giving your sectors some nice systems with good planets?

Edit:

I mean I can't look inside your mind to know what you think "sweet rear end planets" are, could be your sector AI and you have some differences of opinion on that matter. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Libluini posted:

Possibly. I mean I have to sometimes boost my sectors by colonizing planets inside their borders for them, but generally they can't get enough of sending out new colony ships by themselves. As long as enough good planets are part of the sector, that is.

Have you tried giving your sectors some nice systems with good planets?

Edit:

I mean I can't look inside your mind to know what you think "sweet rear end planets" are, could be your sector AI and you have some differences of opinion on that matter. :v:

So I went in game to get a screenie for a "sweet rear end planet" then realised it while it was in my sector, the pops which could actually 100% it was in a different sector, which might be the issue? Not sure how the AI handles colonising with genetically modified versions of your main pops either, but apparently it's left all the planets which aren't cold as gently caress.

Here's some nice planets anyway, which I wish the AI would take, cos I have pops which can colonise either

• Locked thread