Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

all of the key west livestreams are down :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Welp, glad I got to visit Key West while it still existed.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That...that would drown they Keys, no?

Like...all of them?

The max elevation of Key West is 18 feet, sooo welcome to waterworld

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Harvey: I'm gonna turn Houston into a water park

Irma: Hold my beer

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Slim Pickens posted:

The max elevation of Key West is 18 feet, sooo welcome to waterworld

I mean, I'm aware that wave peaks don't equal sustainable change in elevation of the sea, so I'm not assuming the entirety of the keys is actually going to be under water, but with 40ft waves, pretty much everything within about a mile of the ocean should be properly inundated, right?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lmao the fox news dude that got fired? His son was so distraught or something because of his dad that he OD'd.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I'm a pretty loving morbid guy with a dark sense of humor but I don't really call that a lmao situation

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i have no sympathy for anyone at fox news

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

for some reason poo poo that never used to bother me it's really starting to get to me

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

In non-windy news, Germany is now taking away the guns of its sovereign citizens :lol:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In non-windy news, Germany is now taking away the guns of its sovereign citizens :lol:

I thought they learned not to do that a few decades ago

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i have no sympathy for anyone at fox news

You leave Real American Shep Smith alone. That dude is the like the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Apparently Dutch st maarten is going batshit nuts. The Dutch have dispatched marines to quell the fighting. Supposedly locals are saying hundreds dead because people looted the armory and there are gun battles in the streets.

Havent seen this supposed armory mentioned anywhere, but there has been a breakdown in local government. Which is problematic because unlike Saint Martin, which is a part of France, Sint Maarten is a recently independent country within the kingdom of the Netherlands but with the Netherlands (the country, not the kingdom) only responsible for certain things like defence. So they can't just take over without consulting the local government, which is in shambles.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I kinda feel bad for Shep Smith, until I realize the millions he's getting paid to peddle fox bullshit.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I thought you already couldn't have guns? Haven't heard anything about this but I don't get German television. I'd like to know more. (I live in Germany)

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

desiretoknowmoreintensifies.gif

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

GoGoGadget posted:

I thought you already couldn't have guns? Haven't heard anything about this but I don't get German television. I'd like to know more. (I live in Germany)

We have a shitton of guns, just not an America-tier amount of guns. We're somewhere in the top six countries in guns per capita, top three or so if you count illegal guns.

But I think I wasn't specific enough in the last post, I didn't mean sovereign citizens as in "citizens of a sovereign state", I meant the coockoo-stupid "I AM A FREE MAN OF THE LAND AND I DO NOT CONSENT" sovereign citizens. The state decided that if they do not recognize the state's and government's authority, then the government cannot grant them firearm permits. :)

/edit:

These are dudes that believe the Bundesrepublik has no authority, because Germany is still an occupied state, and due to some hilarious armchair-lawyer gymnastics, whichever contract the allies imposed on Germany is still in effect.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

But I think I wasn't specific enough in the last post, I didn't mean sovereign citizens as in "citizens of a sovereign state", I meant the coockoo-stupid "I AM A FREE MAN OF THE LAND AND I DO NOT CONSENT" sovereign citizens. The state decided that if they do not recognize the state's and government's authority, then the government cannot grant them firearm permits. :)

I like it

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

for some reason poo poo that never used to bother me it's really starting to get to me

Welcome to getting older.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Duzzy Funlop posted:

We have a shitton of guns, just not an America-tier amount of guns. We're somewhere in the top six countries in guns per capita, top three or so if you count illegal guns.

/edit:

These are dudes that believe the Bundesrepublik has no authority, because Germany is still an occupied state, and due to some hilarious armchair-lawyer gymnastics, whichever contract the allies imposed on Germany is still in effect.

Oh, that makes perfect sense

How is Germany's mental health program?

e;

https://www.facebook.com/livemap#@26.426308999847024,-81.45538330078125,8z

Been pretty useful for finding live feeds of impending doom. Looks like the keys might survive!

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 10, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Oh, that makes perfect sense

How is Germany's mental health program?

e;

https://www.facebook.com/livemap#@26.426308999847024,-81.45538330078125,8z

Been pretty useful for finding live feeds of impending doom. Looks like the keys might survive!

Yeah, the north eyewall is currently over Key West and no station seems to have reported winds in excess of 60mph. Also, GBS seems to be upset and disappointed with the hurricane being a "nothingburger", so that's good for the actual living and breathing humans down there.

Can't really comment on mental health programs in Germany. The time when I needed help back in the day, I found help in an unbureaucratic fashion, and the only problem was that most mental health professionals in the region were pretty tight in terms of scheduling. But that's anecdotal, so ymmv etc.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Smiling Jack posted:

You're getting old.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I've been old for a while

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Jeff? JEFF!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1mrGmmYQqyZGy

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Jeff is old.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bIPhXzFEWUVYVkpyYmx2S2d8MXlvSk1wanpvdkRHUR34FNJcMd61Soi4bJftUHohyZ0naoddgMFnJHuMAM42

is Jose, our local british goon who's stuck in miami, hopefully he streams more and avoids death

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Zeris posted:

About 10% of Afghanistan's population of 26million has internet access; the country has a 38% literacy rate, a citizen of afghanistan is an Afghan and the currency of Afghanistan is the Afghani.

So yeah, stupid pictorial pamphlets still make sense.

Little late but that's not true either. About 86% have access to cell phones with social media and mobile internet. The 10% number is traditional PC internet connection. Obviously the more rural you are the less likely you are to internet usage. Like most 3rd world nations, Afghanistan skipped a technological generation or two.

Images are still mainly used in those realms, but simple wording works pretty well, but the same could be said for anywhere because no one wants to read a novel.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Getting 55 mph winds with 75 mph gusts expected until 7pm, neighbour lady is in some serious wet weather gear smoking on her balcony looking like she's gonna go Mary Poppins up in this bitch.

Still got power, cable and internet so not doing so bad so far.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That...that would drown they Keys, no?

Like...all of them?

Open ocean wave heights are not the same as shore break.

There won't be 40 foot waves rolling through the Keys. 10-15? Probably. Which is still enough to at lest partially submerge most houses not on stilts.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://www.facebook.com/david.debrule/videos/10210184077423481/

this guy is on key largo and is wondering outside

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Duzzy Funlop posted:

/edit:

I like the cut of the Governments jib.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tampa Bay is empty.

https://twitter.com/jillianmele/status/906894255381250049

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

and the eye is still like 200 miles away

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
this is some military poo poo right here

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Is it just spikes in the ground or you think they sunk it in concrete

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

:grovertoot:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's tough to zoom in on imgur photos phone posting, but Uhhhhhh... Looks like he just stuck them in his grass.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Governor of Georgia just expanded the state of emergency to all 159 counties.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I enjoy life's little ironies like this:

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/906927170622279685

Sort of like a fire department building catching on fire.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

We use galvanized steel cables anchored to the cement foundations for hurricane protection in Puerto Rico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

That's the second house I've seen photos like that.

Looks like one of them might be anchored in the driveway. It's like, deep down you know this can't work....but you wish you knew exactly how it's going to fail.

• Locked thread