Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Denis said 2 hour 30 minutes in july, but a russian site has it listed at 163 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RedSpider posted:

This is apparently the first of three viral clips.

And I don't see this film getting much traction at all. It's apparently three hours long, too. :lol:

E; I think IT and The Snowman are going to be the popular R rated flicks in the next few months instead.

Hell yeah.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Timby posted:

Prequel short Nexus Dawn, directed by Luke Scott (who did all the prologue stuff for Alien: Covenant):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-csFKhQCg
If those actors try any harder to do 'enigmatic' they'll poo poo themselves

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Timby posted:

Jesus goddamn Christ.

You make a $200 million sequel to a film that almost no one saw when it was in theaters, and on top of that you have it run for almost three hours? What in the blue hell.

Maybe they are going for the long and boring movie remake angle.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Huzanko posted:

Judging by this short the plot seems fairly cliche and obvious. Unfortunate.

We learn that Leto is a replicant and all of his servants are human beings.

Just before Gosling dies at the end he utters "Deckard...[indistinguishable]...all along...see you in twenty-five years..." smash cut to a "BLADE RUNNER" title card, roll credits.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 30, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RedSpider posted:

This is apparently the first of three viral clips.

And I don't see this film getting much traction at all. It's apparently three hours long, too. :lol:

E; I think IT and The Snowman are going to be the popular R rated flicks in the next few months instead.

IT is pretty much an obvious call, but... honestly, I think it's a toss-up between this and The Snowman, with a chance that neither ends up doing super well. Both movies look dope as gently caress, but both movies are honestly kinda niche.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Neo Rasa posted:

We learn that Leto is a replicant and all of his servants are human beings.

Just before Gosling dies at the end he utters "Deckard...[indistinguishable]...all along...see you in twenty-five years..." smash cut to a "BLADE RUNNER" title card, roll credits.

Oh God.

Bearing in mind that in the Jeter novels the film Blade Runner exists in the Blade Runner world as a reality show documentary with an anti-rep propaganda spin, and that the twist ending of BR4 is that IT WAS ALL A loving FILM, this could happen..

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Please don't remind me that those novels exist. I read all three. :( Somehow the extreme 90s attitude era Westwood video game is way better in all ways. That game owns. I hope with this movie coming out it gets another reprint, it got released again when IIRC the director's cut DVD was reprinted.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Does it run on modern PCs? I remember it had some heavy technical trickery. I didn't realise until later that its plot is more or less the Inspector Garland bit of Do Androids Dream.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

hyphz posted:

Does it run on modern PCs? I remember it had some heavy technical trickery. I didn't realise until later that its plot is more or less the Inspector Garland bit of Do Androids Dream.

It's unfortunately kind of random if it works or not. :( Though IIRC the DVD version should be pretty cheap and was released in the early 00s so it may be easier to get running.

I feel like it did a good job combining film and novel stuff together unlike the sequel novels. It's one flaw to me is that it's very very obvious which interiors were made in 1982 and which ones were made by game developers in the late 90s and that clashes sometimes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

toiletbrush posted:

If those actors try any harder to do 'enigmatic' they'll poo poo themselves

There's nothing enigmatic going on; the narrative of Luke Scott's Nexus Dawn short is a very straightforward remake of the Council Of Krypton scenes in Man Of Steel.

Leto plays an amoral version of Russell Crowe's character - implying (if not outright stating) that his goal is to breed a new race of immortal supermen that will lead humanity. The other people in the room are just decrepit lawmakers, right out of a Gilliam movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jared Leto is good now folks. Sorry

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Jared Leto is good now folks. Sorry

He's always been a good actor, that's not the problem; the problem is that his real-life persona is that of a massive douchebag.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is Jared Leto the Kanye West of acting?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is Jared Leto the Kanye West of acting?

No. Kanye West is mentally ill and lacks a filter, and is also probably a bit too sincere about himself for the current post-irony internet landscape. Jared Leto just acts like a giant rear end in a top hat to everyone he's around, from what I'm aware.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I'd love this movie to be good, but that poster reset me from 'cautious optimism' to 'disappointment likely'. It's my favourite film, and nothing but the best will do for a sequel, otherwise why bother? An orange and teal poster, for the sequel to a film people are still mining for visual ideas today is hella weak.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He's always been a good actor, that's not the problem; the problem is that his real-life persona is that of a massive douchebag.

I've always thought he was a fairly middling actor.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
He looks gormless, fronts 30 seconds to mars, and did one of those fakey ashton kutcher gain 60 pounds fake roles for chapter 27.

He still looks gormless but he's a weird old man now.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Torquemada posted:

I'd love this movie to be good, but that poster reset me from 'cautious optimism' to 'disappointment likely'. It's my favourite film, and nothing but the best will do for a sequel, otherwise why bother? An orange and teal poster, for the sequel to a film people are still mining for visual ideas today is hella weak.

I think if you're judging a movie by the quality of its poster that no matter how good the movie is you're already at the point where you're not going to like it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

He looks gormless, fronts 30 seconds to mars, and did one of those fakey ashton kutcher gain 60 pounds fake roles for chapter 27.

He still looks gormless but he's a weird old man now.

Only now do I appreciate him drinking warm Wendy's Frosties to play Mark David Chapman. I always think that stuff is goofy when Meryl Streep or Sean Penn does it but he seems to have a good sense of humor about it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Torquemada posted:

True it's disgusting anyone would think to put any blues with oranges/golds on a Blade Runner poster. Can't even imagine where an idea like that would come from.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's honestly always (?) pretty stupid. A good enough actor, say, Amy Adams could successfully portray, say, Idi Amin with no effects, makeup whatever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

It's honestly always (?) pretty stupid. A good enough actor, say, Amy Adams could successfully portray, say, Idi Amin with no effects, makeup whatever.

It can add a lot to a movie, like Charlize Theron in Monster, or Mariah Carey letting her mustache come in for Precious are interesting choices. Where it becomes hilarious is when it's used to connote "serious acting".

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

True it's disgusting anyone would think to put any blues with oranges/golds on a Blade Runner poster. Can't even imagine where an idea like that would come from.

The blue and orange colors are not obnoxiously bright here the way they are in the 2049 poster.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hoping for a Blade Running Man crossover.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i love the blue orange combo in everything. stop complaining. blue orange design is loving great.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

basic hitler posted:

i love the blue orange combo in everything. stop complaining. blue orange design is loving great.

Straight from the mouth of hitler, how can you argue with this?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

"People who made the film" and "people who made the poster" probably have zero overlap, so I wouldn't get worried/excited.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Straight from the mouth of hitler, how can you argue with this?

if the nazi flag was in orange and blue instead of red black and white, they would own most of the world by now. that's how good the color combo is. it's like aesthetically the best and if you can work with those colors and have a basic grasp of design and can use photoshop and illustrator, you are basically set in some job fields.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Far be it from me to argue with hitler.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Hoping for a Blade Running Man crossover.

Wesley Snipes is BLADE Runner

"Some motherfuckers always tryin' to ice skate off the shoulder of Orion"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, apparently, this dropped yesterday. Clip from the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41YwCsjassk

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Have children ever herded an adult this way except in movies? I mean, every movie that contains gangs of children in parlous circumstances has them do it, Temple Of Doom, Beyond Thunderdome to name a couple.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Torquemada posted:

Have children ever herded an adult this way except in movies? I mean, every movie that contains gangs of children in parlous circumstances has them do it, Temple Of Doom, Beyond Thunderdome to name a couple.
For sure. My wife's a teacher, and the kids and parents adore her. Whenever we get invited to one of the parent's houses the children inevitably end up herding my wife and I around as part of some crazy game (I suspect that it's because they enjoy having imaginary power over a teacher).

Obviously that's a unique circumstance, but kids really will herd adults around given the chance.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Young Freud posted:

I've maintained since they announced the screenplay that they picked the wrong screenwriter to return. David Webb Peoples is so much more celebrated (Unforgiven, anyone?) and many of the small details that made Blade Runner are owed to him (like the term "replicant" and Roy and Tyrell's dialogue came from a conversation with Peoples' daughter, a UCLA biochemistry grad)

Peoples also worked on 12 Monkeys, another great sf movie. Hearing that Peoples is not involved with the sequel is a big downer for me.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Joe Chill posted:

Peoples also worked on 12 Monkeys, another great sf movie. Hearing that Peoples is not involved with the sequel is a big downer for me.

He also wrote and direct cult favorite Blood Of Heroes with Rutger Hauer and gave something for Wasteland Weekenders to do instead of just be Burning Man with Mad Max cosplay. I can definitely understand the appeal of Jugger, since me and a bunch of my friends played that with boffer weapons and a soccer ball when that movie came out on video.

Also, wrote the adaptation for Soldier, which is a Blade Runner sequel with all the serial numbers rubbed off.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Young Freud posted:

This isn't helping much.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Give me more.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mister Kingdom posted:

This isn't helping much.

Quite the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
"Ah yes, watching this two minute clip completely devoid of context has absolutely ruined this movie for me, I'm no longer watching it at all."

- A normal response

• Locked thread