Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only time I have problems with it is when I get the sensor wet. Maybe your fingers are weird or your phone is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

The Lord Bude posted:

Except with Touch ID invariably about 25% of the time it shits itself, and then you have to manually type in your password.

Stop having poo poo finger prints scrub. :gary:

Content: I only have a problem about 1 in every... 100 times? Are your hands particularly greasy? Or particularly dry?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Have you tried adding two or three copies of the same finger? That does sound like your sensor is somehow miscalibrated or faulty.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm bummed I won't have power to watch the keynote on Tuesday (thanks Irma) please be liberal with the spoiler tags! I will be reporting any and all non-spoilered posts.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

enojy posted:

I'm bummed I won't have power to watch the keynote on Tuesday (thanks Irma) please be liberal with the spoiler tags! I will be reporting any and all non-spoilered posts.

Everything has leaked already, you're not going to miss a thing.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Duckman2008 posted:

If they do facial recognition with no Touch ID I will legit be angry. Fingerprint , and especially its execution on iPhone, is just extremely useful. Also, I've picked up people's Samsung phones with facial recognition and it's just weird seeing a picture of yourself to unlock the phone. Not a fan.

are you just assuming it's going to work exactly like samsung phones?

why does it even need to show you your face? afaik you just look at your phone and it sees you and you're done.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

whatever my boss is off all next week for knee replacement surgery what a loser am i right so i am going to watch the goddamn keynote live and telegraph how wrong all of you are about whatever decision apple makes with their phones, which we're all going to buy, but at least we will have that moment together where we hate each other and hate how much it's going to cost to have an opinion on the drat thing

see you all tuesday. fuckers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm excited for the new appleTv and hopefully some new HomePod stuff and that's about it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

hopefully some new HomePod stuff

349 usd for a neato speaker that talks to siri

that's cool. that you're excited for that. i mean, you could just talk to your phone, and have good speakers, and spend the rest of the money on blow or whatever.. or yeah i mean you could have that thing. for 349 usd. i mean, you could do that. that is a thing that people do.

or i mean you could go to whole foods and just do the alexa thing and at least she can order you some toilet paper

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Pivo posted:

349 usd for a neato speaker that talks to siri

that's cool. that you're excited for that. i mean, you could just talk to your phone, and have good speakers, and spend the rest of the money on blow or whatever.. or yeah i mean you could have that thing. for 349 usd. i mean, you could do that. that is a thing that people do.

or i mean you could go to whole foods and just do the alexa thing and at least she can order you some toilet paper

Ok. I love music, and I'm pretty interested in it's room adaptation features and apparently it sounds really really good. I want to hear more. Literally.

But if you want to get excited for an incremental phone upgrade and a pretty awful sounding anniversary edition of said phone, that's cool too.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

[quote="“Matt Zerella”" post="“476247906”"]
Ok. I love music, and I’m pretty interested in it’s room adaptation features and apparently it sounds really really good. I want to hear more. Literally.

But if you want to get excited for an incremental phone upgrade and a pretty awful sounding anniversary edition of said phone, that’s cool too.
[/quote]

‘Room adaptation features’ - what is that?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Matt Zerella posted:

Ok. I love music, and I'm pretty interested in it's room adaptation features and apparently it sounds really really good. I want to hear more. Literally.

It is a small, mono speaker, it will not sound "good" compared to any decent stereo setup with bookshelf speakers. Or just get some powered monitors and an Echo Dot to get better functionality and sound all around.

It's only big feature is airplay (thus Apple Music compatibility), and you can buy 3rd party receivers for that.

Krispy Kareem posted:

AirPods sound the exact same as EarPods and I hurt my brain trying to shake my head so much they'll fall out (they never fall out).

Being able to shut up Siri and turn one ear into a pause and another into track skip makes life so much easier.

They really are awesome. I now feel silly for having an iPhone with a headphone jack.

I think the contention is that sounding like EarPods is a positive.. it really isn't. Can see that they're worthwhile for convenience if they're comfortable at least.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

arbybaconator posted:

‘Room adaptation features’ - what is that?

It's meant to use its mic to listen to itself and change how it sends levels to each of its speakers to it works "better" based on the room configuration.

Who know what that means in practice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

dc3k posted:

are you just assuming it's going to work exactly like samsung phones?

why does it even need to show you your face? afaik you just look at your phone and it sees you and you're done.

I assume it should show your face so you can "properly line it up."

I just think it's solving a problem we don't have. Touch ID works fine, if you want that Edge to Edge screen, move Touch ID to the back of the phone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

How do AppleCare+ damage incidents work? Long story short, I was a dumbass and my phone fell out of my pocket while I was biking. Chips out of all four corners, some scrapes on the camera wort, and a hairline crack in the glass that runs from one of the corners to the home button. For everything else I just slapped a case on it to cover up, but that last one is a concern. I don't want to slice my finger on it if it ever gets worse (do those kinds of things get worse?)

I assume you do a support appointment like normal, but is there a threshold for these kinds of things? Will they take a look and say the screen isn't obscured so deal with it? I'm not looking to flip this thing for the new ones, but I bet they'll think I am :v:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

carry on then posted:

How do AppleCare+ damage incidents work? Long story short, I was a dumbass and my phone fell out of my pocket while I was biking. Chips out of all four corners, some scrapes on the camera wort, and a hairline crack in the glass that runs from one of the corners to the home button. For everything else I just slapped a case on it to cover up, but that last one is a concern. I don't want to slice my finger on it if it ever gets worse (do those kinds of things get worse?)

I assume you do a support appointment like normal, but is there a threshold for these kinds of things? Will they take a look and say the screen isn't obscured so deal with it? I'm not looking to flip this thing for the new ones, but I bet they'll think I am :v:

Just take it in and they'll swap it out and make you pay $100. https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/express-replacement

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

applecare+ has a fee for screen damage, and a higher fee for 'other damage' and i believe you get 2 opportunities to pay that fee. i'm pretty sure 'other damage' includes 'i accidentally stuck my phone in an industrial blender'.

at least that's the language they use here in Canada. two incidents of 'accidental damage', with a cheaper fee if it's only the screen.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

wooger posted:

It is a small, mono speaker, it will not sound "good" compared to any decent stereo setup with bookshelf speakers. Or just get some powered monitors and an Echo Dot to get better functionality and sound all around.

It's only big feature is airplay (thus Apple Music compatibility), and you can buy 3rd party receivers for that.

I think the contention is that sounding like EarPods is a positive.. it really isn't. Can see that they're worthwhile for convenience if they're comfortable at least.

I refuse to use Amazon/Google speakers. And Sonos speakers sound great and are mono. It could be cool and I want to hear more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

enojy posted:

I'll have power but will be in an all-day meeting.

But yeah, everything's already out.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Weedle posted:

Just take it in and they'll swap it out and make you pay $100. https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/express-replacement

Okay thanks. That's kind of what I thought but I didn't want to drive 130mi round trip (you'd think with all the rich people around at the Mayo Clinic they'd get tons of business here but no) to the Mall of America just to be told it still works so pay full price or deal with it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

2 sonos play 1s are going to be the same price as the rumoured apple speaker and they'll sound a lot better as they're pretty decent speakers and stereo pair.
They also have a room adaptive mode though it's largely pointless outside of some weird configurations, where it does then help a bit.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I sure hope they handle people on the Apple upgrade program better than last year.

I'm expecting an email to go out to those in the program before preorders open inviting us to order from stock allocated to us. Sound reasonable?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm expecting an email to go out to those in the program before preorders open inviting us to order from stock allocated to us. Sound reasonable?
Not a chance.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

enojy posted:

I will definitely not be acting on these.

Come on...spoilers for electronic product announcements?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I mean, even if you applied TVIV rules (which would be idiotic) then spoiler tags would be irrelevant for an already-aired program.

I assume it was a poor attempt at a joke.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I hope you're right!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Good to hear. It's ridiculous that someone thinks everyone would spend the next 20 odd pages putting everything into spoiler tags because they lack the self discipline to stay out of the thread for a couple days till they can watch a goddam product announcement.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RIP enojy, died in Irma because they used up their entire phone battery reporting posts and couldn't track the hurricane.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I'm pretty disappointed that TouchID is going to be removed from iPhone X, as it has become a pretty seamless part of the unlocking process for me. I hope FaceID ends up being similarly easy to use, but I think I'll miss being able to unlock as my phone is being pulled from my pocket.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

illcendiary posted:

I'm pretty disappointed that TouchID is going to be removed from iPhone X, as it has become a pretty seamless part of the unlocking process for me. I hope FaceID ends up being similarly easy to use, but I think I'll miss being able to unlock as my phone is being pulled from my pocket.

Seems like only being able to unlock when the phone is in view of your face is likely to be less easy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can buy the other iPhone that's not the iPhone x then

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Actually I'll probably just keep my 6S.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I'm kinda hoping for a Product Red iPhone 8/7S in 6 months or whatever. That red iPhone 7 is hotttt.

And yeah.... maybe I'm just resistant to change but TouchID seems so much more convenient than a face unlock...

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Do cases work well with edge to edge screens? My phone takes a fair amount of abuse at work so I kind of need one.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Snowy posted:

Do cases work well with edge to edge screens? My phone takes a fair amount of abuse at work so I kind of need one.

there are plenty of cases for the galaxy s8
they "work" as in they cover the parts that aren't screen and they don't fall off? they can't wrap around the phone as much obviously but i dunno they feel fine to me

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I think we'll be fine since it seems like the iPhone X won't do the curved-screen thing that those Samsungs do, just have very tiny bezels. Which tbh is for the best because Android apps never seem to be designed for curved screens and the edges of the app just melt off to the sides like a Salvador Dali painting.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
What about cases and wireless charging? How does that work

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Weedle posted:

RIP enojy, died in Irma because they used up their entire phone battery reporting posts and couldn't track the hurricane.

You think Irma's gonna do a number to Florida? Wait until you see Thermopyle's inbox.

I will not be reporting non-spoilered posts. I was just being silly :shobon:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of, how exactly does the IUP work when it comes to upgrading / exchanging? I signed up for it last year for the 7 so this will be the first time I would swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think we'll be fine since it seems like the iPhone X won't do the curved-screen thing that those Samsungs do, just have very tiny bezels. Which tbh is for the best because Android apps never seem to be designed for curved screens and the edges of the app just melt off to the sides like a Salvador Dali painting.

Thank god, using an edge 7 sucks poo poo