Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wrath and Affliction break with Dr Mog/Mako on Ramza then? I'm thinking of redoing my Fenrir group to drop OK and Zack (who's mostly dead weight, even with his CSB, since his damage options suck) for Ramza and someone else (either a 2nd healer like Arc or 3rd damage dealer), while keeping Cloud with lifesiphon+Omega and his USB and then probably Squall for damage since his OSB would make him more useful than Butz in that fight. So probably something like Cloud/Ramza/Squall/Y'shtola/???? (Edge with quick hit maybe, or keep OK to double up Shout/VoF).

Really wish I had Rosa's USB. :(

I think physical teams on Golem start and end with "do you have Cloud's USB and his BSB2?"

I'd do Lifesiphon over Wrath for Ramza since Wrath overwrites the attack boost from Shout, but yeah. Sometimes I give him Battleforged and give the Mako to Onion Knight, but it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.

Bartz is really good for me on Fenrir even with just his earth BSB, but I have him fully dived and he routinely double-strikes Fenrir for 40k, which is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'd do Lifesiphon over Wrath for Ramza since Wrath overwrites the attack boost from Shout, but yeah. Sometimes I give him Battleforged and give the Mako to Onion Knight, but it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.

Bartz is really good for me on Fenrir even with just his earth BSB, but I have him fully dived and he routinely double-strikes Fenrir for 40k, which is nuts.

Wait, you're doing 20k per BSB hit with an EARTH bsb against Fenrir? What? I use Bartz' BSB3 in JP against Hydra, who's WEAK to earth, and it only does like 13k. And mind you, that's with stacked Shout and Deployment Tactics, a 6*++ fully augmented sword, a 6* bracer, and Cloud's +30% damage with swords RM4. What the hell setup do you have that Bartz is doing 40k on a doublecast?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

Wait, you're doing 20k per BSB hit with an EARTH bsb against Fenrir? What? I use Bartz' BSB3 in JP against Hydra, who's WEAK to earth, and it only does like 13k. And mind you, that's with stacked Shout and Deployment Tactics, a 6*++ fully augmented sword, a 6* bracer, and Cloud's +30% damage with swords RM4. What the hell setup do you have that Bartz is doing 40k on a doublecast?

Oh sorry, that's with Snowspell Strike, forgot to clarify. I honed it to R2 and could technically go to R3 with it, but since the only people I use it on are Celes and Bartz and the former has runic, 4 uses feels like enough so far.

No imperil ice though, that's just Shout + VoF + Burst Mode + the self-buff on command 2 and a full dive.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
A new Future Banners guide has popped up.

In a vaccuum, after both get all their new toys, who would be the better buffbot: Ramza or Onion Knight?

I'm thinking about potentially skipping the FFTA banner for the OK banner.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ceaselessfuture posted:

Is it just me or are these new realm dungeons tougher than their 160 difficulty would seem?

they've been punching about their rating for a while now i think

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

ceaselessfuture posted:

A new Future Banners guide has popped up.

In a vaccuum, after both get all their new toys, who would be the better buffbot: Ramza or Onion Knight?

I'm thinking about potentially skipping the FFTA banner for the OK banner.

As a full Ramza-haver I will say he's pretty tasty but Onion might edge him out slightly in overall quality if you get both USBs. However that will be noticeably harder and less likely than getting Ramza's one USB.

Edit: To expand on that, Onion is a bit more flexible since he has a 30/30 and solo At and Mag buff, all of which come with Hastega and other goodies. By comparison, Ramza only has a Hastega with his Atk buff but the usefulness of History's Truth should not be discounted: with his LMR you can fire that off first thing in every fight and not only buff everyone but let that insta-cast their first SBs, Breaks or Proshellga.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 10, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

LornMarkus posted:

As a full Ramza-haver I will say he's pretty tasty but Onion might edge him out slightly in overall quality if you get both USBs. However that will be noticeably harder and less likely than getting Ramza's one USB.

Edit: To expand on that, Onion is a bit more flexible since he has a 30/30 and solo At and Mag buff, all of which come with Hastega and other goodies. By comparison, Ramza only has a Hastega with his Atk buff but the usefulness of History's Truth should not be discounted: with his LMR you can fire that off first thing in every fight and not only buff everyone but let that insta-cast their first SBs, Breaks or Proshellga.

That makes sense. I guess I'll have to see how things turn out after the 30th. Maybe I'll be able to save some for it after all.

quote:

they've been punching about their rating for a while now i think

no joke, I'm worried about the last one now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The 160+ elite dungeons really don't gently caress around. They're basically torment-lite. I've had to use my A-team on a lot of them.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've been taking a break from playing the last couple days, and I decided to hop on since its my day off and try the FFV mp before it goes away.

I'm pretty sure that boss sapped any enthusiasm I had remaining for the game, in light of how bad the performance of the app has been for me lately.

So, uh, thanks stupid reraise dragon, you made it a lot easier for me to brush off the sunk cost.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

:siren:I FINALLY KILLED THAT loving PLANT:siren:

what an annoying goddamn fight

i also empathize with your resurrecting dragon woes, Cinnamon.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I decided not to even try for this week's MP given what I heard about it, not worth the frustration.

I finally got around to trying my first magecite, took down liquid flame in about 50 seconds on my first attempt! Bartz USB/BSB2 and Tidus CSB/BSB had me confident. I'll dip my toes into the others in the coming week, that was a lot of fun!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Chain instant casting History's Truth in Jumpstart is the poo poo.

Just truthing all over that ghost.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Put off doing the Necrophobe JS and I guess I better finish it today before it goes away.

Can you just do RW Cloud USB and brute force it like usual, or is there an actual strategy this time?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Put off doing the Necrophobe JS and I guess I better finish it today before it goes away.

Can you just do RW Cloud USB and brute force it like usual, or is there an actual strategy this time?

Brute force works fine

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Incoming patch to the SB system in JP:

Maintenance will be held on 15th September.
After the maintenance, SB Gauge will now have 6 bars.
Each bar will now require 250 points to fill, so the maximum amount to max is still 1500.

Mako Might and Dr Mog's Teachings will now give 2 SB gauges at the start of battle (still 500 points).
All current SBs that require 1000 SB points (like Healing Grimoire) will only need 500 after the renewal.

(This is obviously to accommodate the newest SBs, but the granularity gives them some new design space - and hey, it's a little buff to ol' Tyro!)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does this mean you'll be able to use SB more often since 1 bar is now 250 instead of 500?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The short term implication seems to be that all current SBs will cost 500 meter, which will be 2 bars, but that "Flash Tech" we've heard about might be like 250 meter SBs.
However, we won't know for certain until after the patch.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hogama posted:

Mako Might and Dr Mog's Teachings will now give 2 SB gauges at the start of battle (still 500 points).
All current SBs that require 1000 SB points (like Healing Grimoire) will only need 500 after the renewal.

This only matters for Healing Grimoire, which now is a Curaja-strength medica with no downside.

The other 2-bar/1000 point SBs were shared trash before and now they're still shared trash. (Okay, I think a few early core characters had 2-bar SBs, too, but :jerkbag:)

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
It indeed sounds likely one of the new SB types will be one bar, or half bar in current game.

Interesting.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Huh, doesn't Core Bard have a 40% boostga? Sort of cool everyone will have access to a decent boost, albeit on a crappy character. And even among cores, Support 4/Bard 4 gives them Wrath, Breakdowns, Protectga and Shellga access. Not too bad until you get someone better for beginners.

Healing Grimoire is the big winner though. Makes me wish I had it a little, just to add to Tyro's Jack of All Trades status.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

pichupal posted:

Huh, doesn't Core Bard have a 40% boostga? Sort of cool everyone will have access to a decent boost, albeit on a crappy character.

Except with RWs (or the RW replacements), you'll always have access to a decent boostga anyway. Barring that, JP has the Dr. Mog's Beginner Banner, which isn't a guaranteed boostga (since it's a single draw and none of the freebie bursts are boostgas, though DK Cecil and Auron at least get self-boosts), but at the very least has Wall and Minfilia's boostga/last stand as potential draws.

We're long past the days where core characters can pretend to be relevant even with a +40% boost.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

I legend dived butz and got his LM relic and did a RW cloud USB and uses his old unique SB enwind to oneshot the barriers and then spammed snowspell strike and killed it in like three attacks.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

It indeed sounds likely one of the new SB types will be one bar, or half bar in current game.

Interesting.

They could also go the other way and make some cost 3 new-size bars for really big effects (though you're right and that doesn't seem like what they're doing this time).

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Boy don't I feel dumb now for never having Tyro master Healing Grimoire and using it as a rosetta stone ages ago. :shepface:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Boy don't I feel dumb now for never having Tyro master Healing Grimoire and using it as a rosetta stone ages ago. :shepface:

Did it not give stats for mastery?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

KPC_Mammon posted:

Did it not give stats for mastery?

It was a Unique SB well before the age of mastery bonuses. So no. Until this news today Healing Grimoire was a giant useless brick.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Prism posted:

They could also go the other way and make some cost 3 new-size bars for really big effects (though you're right and that doesn't seem like what they're doing this time).

That might be the case as well since supposedly there will be two new SB types and the other sounds like to be some giga overstrike. Hell it might even be more than 3 but the effect better be phenomenal at that point.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I master everything I get, no matter how poo poo it is. There's probably not going to be a day where Squall's Revolver comes in handy, but I'll be ready when it comes

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

That might be the case as well since supposedly there will be two new SB types and the other sounds like to be some giga overstrike. Hell it might even be more than 3 but the effect better be phenomenal at that point.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. 3 mini-bars - two uses when at complete capacity - is doable for a large effect. 4 isn't, really; all you have to do to know that is look at how bad the old 2-bars were. But getting two uses instead of three in a Jump Start? That's a possibility.

Cost granularity is a good thing IMO.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

I guess I'll be gearing Tyro with the tactics I use for Penelo for the rare times Wall is not as useful in four-to-six months in the future... :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
There really needs to be a way to somehow recycle or evolve old relics into better ones other than just combining them for better stats.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

All that said, I'm still not all that upset I flipped my Healing Grimoire into the aether. Even with it being a standard cost there's still better options available with other utility attached than just a Giga Medica. If you're in a position where you want that much AoE healing you probably aren't mitigating enough.

Then again I haven't done any Torments or Magicite or what have you so maybe I'm out of touch.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A little bit of update on the new SB gauge - the selection button will turn green at one bar, blue at two bars, and red at three bars.

All predictions that the new Overstrike would be three bars (1.5 current) and the Flash Tech would be one bar (0.5 current) appear to be on the money.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

flash techs could turn out to be really cool

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I wonder how Flash Techs will be balanced. Some things could be really broken with Battleforged on and just going Wrath -> Flash -> Wrath -> Flash ect.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
So, I do have a Legend Dive question. Just what sort of criteria do you people use to decide on who is worth being legend dived? What characters are great to Legend Dive if you have their relics?

I've been thinking of legend Diving Ayame because she's pretty good (also my only ice BSB) for Magicite, as well as Legend Diving Yuna and Hope(when we're able) because I own all their BSBs, USB for Yuna and Hope's OSB. Similarly, I've been thinking of diving Noctis because I own his LMR as well as his OSB.

Similarly, I'm also thinking of diving Faris, because I got her BSB and USB, which is pretty awesome.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Cosmic Afro posted:

So, I do have a Legend Dive question. Just what sort of criteria do you people use to decide on who is worth being legend dived? What characters are great to Legend Dive if you have their relics?

I've been thinking of legend Diving Ayame because she's pretty good (also my only ice BSB) for Magicite, as well as Legend Diving Yuna and Hope(when we're able) because I own all their BSBs, USB for Yuna and Hope's OSB. Similarly, I've been thinking of diving Noctis because I own his LMR as well as his OSB.

Similarly, I'm also thinking of diving Faris, because I got her BSB and USB, which is pretty awesome.

You just kinda need to look at their LM and evaluate how useful they would be, especially based on the relics you have. In general, dualcast LMs are very powerful, and should probably be prioritized over stuff like "+1% magic for every ice attack used". Ayame is great because her BSB commands are classified as samurai, and her LM1 increases ice damage by 10% and her LM2 gives 35% chance to dualcast samurai abilities, so she can tear stuff up. Similarly Hope gets dualcast holy, so I guess he's alright if you plan to use his BSBs a lot.

Conversely, Snow would be a pretty bad candidate, with his LM1 being "reduce ice damage by 10%", and his LM2 just being start with sentinel, essentially. Those LMs are very niche in their usefulness.

The start with haste and instant cast 3 are probably a lot better than you think, though, as you can get people set up with a full SB bar, instantly summon a RW, or do all sorts of very fast prep at the start of a fight.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

pichupal posted:

I wonder how Flash Techs will be balanced. Some things could be really broken with Battleforged on and just going Wrath -> Flash -> Wrath -> Flash ect.

They could do some things that the devs don't allow us to have as normal abilities, but which could still have utility as low-cost SBs like bare Hastegas and Cura medicas that do nothing else or a sub-200% wall.

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 10, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Personally I went with Celes for my first legend dive, because her LM2 fixes pretty much her only weakness, which is low SB gain. It makes hitting a weakness worth almost as much SB as lifesiphon, and for significantly more damage. With it I can keep both Indom Blade and Maria's Song up 100% for fights with a weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

You just kinda need to look at their LM and evaluate how useful they would be, especially based on the relics you have. In general, dualcast LMs are very powerful, and should probably be prioritized over stuff like "+1% magic for every ice attack used". Ayame is great because her BSB commands are classified as samurai, and her LM1 increases ice damage by 10% and her LM2 gives 35% chance to dualcast samurai abilities, so she can tear stuff up. Similarly Hope gets dualcast holy, so I guess he's alright if you plan to use his BSBs a lot.

Conversely, Snow would be a pretty bad candidate, with his LM1 being "reduce ice damage by 10%", and his LM2 just being start with sentinel, essentially. Those LMs are very niche in their usefulness.

The start with haste and instant cast 3 are probably a lot better than you think, though, as you can get people set up with a full SB bar, instantly summon a RW, or do all sorts of very fast prep at the start of a fight.

Yeah, I made a googledoc of all my relics and I'm looking things over. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MUlVZ5DdNeiWCyH29PbkMiLqU1Z1q0ZgPeh08jnTDLc/edit#gid=0

Firion with BSB looks nice, considering the truckload of attacks you can do with his Burst 1.
Bartz would be better if I had his USB and BSB2, but his LM rocks.
Faris would be a good choice to hit harder with support and make them last longer, yeah.
Celes would be great too, like Fister Roboto said, Terra's not worth it for me. Relm's is eeeehhhn.
Cloud would rock if I had any of his BSB or USB, the rest I own don't have a Legend dive.
Could make an argument for Beatrix and Zidane, but more on Beatrix.
Auron is in a similar situation as Ayame. Yuna's LM is eeeehhhn but her SBs are great.
Could make an argument for Vaan and Fran, but if I dive Fran, I'm better driving Faris.
Cid Raines would probably kick a shitload of rear end with his BSB and being LMed. Vanille too, with BSB. Hope... well, when we get his.
Iris' is ... nice, but I'm not sure how much that actually helps me, increasing Mind by amount of uses of White Magic.
Agrias' could seriously kickass, free Imperils.

Hm, that was some good advice. Thanks.

• Locked thread