Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I agree, and at the same time i have to confess

I lasted three minutes on that cuphead video. The video legit made me angry, it reminded me of one of those Retsupuraes where someone who is awful at Contra decided to record a session for all the internet to see.

Obviously not enough to write something unacceptable like a death threat, but what the gently caress was that guy thinking

Exactly :)

We can all be adults and say that guy's cuphead video was frustrating and he's bad at games, and even further he should have realized the reception would be poor, but even people who are bad at games should live full and happy lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

speaking of retsupuraes didnt they quit doing those because weirdos would send the people being made fun of threats and stuff

Yes.

It's a shame too since they were pretty funny.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So my grandma might be on her deathbed. She's "taken a turn for the worse" and I'm home alone for the time being while parents deal with it. When my grandpa passed, it didn't hit me that hard - maybe because I didn't know him that much, or maybe just the result of a broken brain.

I don't know where I'm going with this.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Lizard Wizard posted:

So my grandma might be on her deathbed. She's "taken a turn for the worse" and I'm home alone for the time being while parents deal with it. When my grandpa passed, it didn't hit me that hard - maybe because I didn't know him that much, or maybe just the result of a broken brain.

I'm sorry.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Retsupurae still mock people's videos.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm sorry to hear. :(

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Lizard Wizard posted:

Go vist your grandmother dumbass.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

idk how i feel about the whole criticizing bad play thing. the cuphead video is genuinely awful but stuff like the polygon sonic mania review being derided and dismissed because the guy got game overs really doesn't sit well with me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lizard Wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ

:smith:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

dogsicle posted:

idk how i feel about the whole criticizing bad play thing. the cuphead video is genuinely awful but stuff like the polygon sonic mania review being derided and dismissed because the guy got game overs really doesn't sit well with me.

Most people who can buy Sonic Mania will be bad at it, so a bad reviewer might be able to speak to those people.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

BexGu posted:

Go vist your grandmother dumbass.

I can't, and at the risk of sounding callous I don't know if I'd want to.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wuggles posted:

Most people who can buy Sonic Mania will be bad at it, so a bad reviewer might be able to speak to those people.

yeah, i felt like it was a useful point that somehow just generated tons of scorn because ???
the game over system also sounds like a horrible time-waster and the only justification i can come up with is it matches with how awful other sonic games treated that stuff. which is not really something i feel like the devs should be shooting for, but whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

I can't, and at the risk of sounding callous I don't know if I'd want to.

nah i can relate to that my grandpa was in a really rough way a couple of months back and he was like, barely even cognizant, not a whole lot going on behind the eyes, barely even seemed to recognize my grandma let alone me, clearly in horrible pain, etc. seeing him like that was real complicated

dogsicle posted:

yeah, i felt like it was a useful point that somehow just generated tons of scorn because ???
the game over system also sounds like a horrible time-waster and the only justification i can come up with is it matches with how awful other sonic games treated that stuff. which is not really something i feel like the devs should be shooting for, but whatever.
i can get why the sonic mania game over system is there because its a throwback, but it really should've been a toggle, with options for like 'game overs send you to the start of the zone' 'game overs send you to the start of the act' or 'infinite lives, you always respawn at the checkpoint'

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The cuphead video is good because it highlights how much general video game knowledge even tutorials assume, and that is still a barrier to them gaining a larger audience. Granted that wasn't the sole issue he had, but it does make up a lot of it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah, my grandma's been in a memory care facility the past few days to try and address increasingly worse dementia - she was recently under the impression she was living in someone else's house without their permission, and that she had to pack her things and escape before she was discovered - so I really don't know what state she'd be in.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also see the people that get insanely mad about the suggestion, implementation, or usage of "crutch" features or easier game modes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

Also see the people that get insanely mad about the suggestion, implementation, or usage of "crutch" features or easier game modes.

tbf i dont think those should be forced into every game. dark souls for instance would be kind of hurt by the inclusion of stuff like that i think. not every game needs to be accommodating for every player, not even in some elite gamer way just that sometimes things are made for specific audiences with specific wants and abilities. like a baseball documentary that assumes decent knowledge of the game and its history, or whatever, would be impenetrable if you didn't even know baseball positions.

in sonic mania's case it's a goofy platformer for kids and old people who grew up with sonic, tho, so there's no good reason not to have a couple things like that. it's not even that hard a game, its probably a bit easier than the old sonic games were.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When I saw my grandmother last her alzheimers had gotten real bad and for a moment she thought I was her son that had died at birth somehow all grown up. While she wasn't a perfect woman, she had been a very smart and lively woman before and seeing her confused and lost and not understanding how she got into a nursing home like that was very painful for me.

I don't regret going, but I can't blame anyone that isn't able to go through with it. Even a few years later I still occasionally cry about it.

Whatever decision you make about going, just make sure its the right one for you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

The cuphead video is good because it highlights how much general video game knowledge even tutorials assume, and that is still a barrier to them gaining a larger audience. Granted that wasn't the sole issue he had, but it does make up a lot of it.

Eh, its not really that the tutorial assumes tons of video game general knowledge so much as the game overall requires it. Its not a particularly easy game.

I don't think that's a bad thing. Different products are marketed at different markets. That journalist guy makes the argument that everything should try to appeal to everybody, but I completely disagree. I don't like one-size-fits-all. I think some games can be more appealing to entry and others can be more hardcore. Like WoW and EVE Online. I don't think its wrong that EVE Online is what it is, and I don't think it should have to change. People are free to make whatever games as products or art that they want, and it'll make money based on how much people care.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

tbf i dont think those should be forced into every game. dark souls for instance would be kind of hurt by the inclusion of stuff like that i think.

Even dark souls has stuff like summoning that I see people get weird about

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

chumbler posted:

See that might be okay if it was some one completely new at video games but this was from a dude that has been reporting on games for 18 years. There has to be at least some fundamentally understand of how to play games before reporting on them. Bit even being the best but able to to basic moves and get though most stuff on easy.

If he was truely going for that gimmick it should have been some one else playing and then commented on it. Conan does that as a complete vodeo game novice and it works pretty well and funny to boot. He even has a cuphead video up.

https://youtu.be/NF3dT9bDu_4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BexGu posted:

See that might be okay if it was some one completely new at video games but this was from a dude that has been reporting on games for 18 years. There has to be at least some fundamentally understand of how to play games before reporting on them. Bit even being the best but able to to basic moves and get though most stuff on easy.

If he was truely going for that gimmick it should have been some one else playing and then commented on it. Conan does that as a complete vodeo game novice and it works pretty well and funny to boot. He even has a cuphead video up.

https://youtu.be/NF3dT9bDu_4
i mean you don't really need to play video games to be a reporter on the business side of them. I'm not familiar with the guy's work but his big breaks seem to have been about manufacturing stuff about the 360 and some business deal stuff to do with Blizzard, neither of which have much of anything to do with the actual video games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Motto posted:

Dark souls has a big mistique among gamers and people love to one-up each other and beat the game on insane challenges and stuff.

But those people are silly. Summoning is cool, don't use it if you don't want it. Good optional difficulty. I would be against changing too much of souls just to make it accessible, if you can't beat the first boss the point is you need to get better and practice, not that you should just move on to the next boss. Its not like dark souls has awesome cutscenes for you to watch between levels, the point is actually learning the game and the bosses and levels, and that itself is the adventure. You'd be cheating it to actually have an 'easy' mode where the boss just dies in one or two hits and never does much damage to you.

But for most games I think lots of things are vestigial, like lives and game overs. In Dark Souls, the concept of death is an integral mechanic. So it belongs. In most games it isn't at all. Why do Mario games even have lives anymore? There's no reason. Its all holdovers from arcade credits.

I think lots of games should just let you skip levels at will. As much as neither is a game I'm crazy about, Alone in the Dark let you skip levels (and even told you what you missed), and the latest Call of Duty did too I think? That's actually a good thing, for those kinds of games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who will give me money to play games in a competent but unexceptional way on YouTube?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he did write an infamously terrible Mass Effect review, i guess. but yeah since his primary focus seems to be like, business analysis i don't begrudge him much for being awful. especially since the cuphead levels look like tedious/obnoxious poo poo i don't think even i would want to beat my head against to complete.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Motto posted:

Yeah people really do get weird about summoning. I suggested online somewhere else once that Dark Souls wasn't actually that hard of a game to get all of the trophies in because of how far just having some decent summons can take you, and as a result I had people telling me that summons don't actually count, the devs actually didn't want you to use them or something etc.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

But for most games I think lots of things are vestigial, like lives and game overs. In Dark Souls, the concept of death is an integral mechanic. So it belongs. In most games it isn't at all. Why do Mario games even have lives anymore? There's no reason. Its all holdovers from arcade credits.

Odyssey just docks you 10 coins, speaking of which.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not saying games need to target everybody, but they could do a lot better about teaching people to play them or being more accessible to worse players, and their communities and frequently the devs themselves could be less hostile to people who need those things (but that's a pipe dream if ever there was one).

I'm also excluding most competitive games from this because there's really no way you could make SC or dota or quake or whatever more accessible, though maybe I'm just not thinking creatively enough.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Grief is complicated, man. When I first learned my father was dying of heart disease I didn't have an immediate reaction, and by the time he actually passed away I had mostly processed it, but the moment where the enormity of it actually hit me was the first time I spoke to him on the phone, listened to him talking about all the medication he was on and make bad jokes about mortality, that absolutely destroyed me. You don't owe dramatic or instant displays of sorrow to anyone, I figure just try and see her or speak to her while you can (if she's up to it) and take the emotional stuff in your own time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Motto posted:

Odyssey just docks you 10 coins, speaking of which.

Holy poo poo, they finally moved on! Good move.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Raxivace posted:

Yeah people really do get weird about summoning. I suggested on somewhere else once that Dark Souls wasn't actually that hard of a game to get all of the trophies in because of how far just having some decent summons can take you, and as a result I had people telling me that summons don't actually count, the devs actually didn't want you to use them or something etc.

The devs never intended for you to summon, that's why they made it easy to do and continued to make it easier in every sequel

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lives make sense in the multiplayer marios like 3d world at least as a way to gently caress with other players

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

I'm not saying games need to target everybody, but they could do a lot better about teaching people to play them or being more accessible to worse players, and their communities and frequently the devs themselves could be less hostile to people who need those things (but that's a pipe dream if ever there was one).

I'm also excluding most competitive games from this because there's really no way you could make SC or dota or quake or whatever more accessible, though maybe I'm just not thinking creatively enough.

I dunno, fighting games have added some pretty good training modes and even tutorials in games like Mortal Kombat X or Guilty Gear Xrd that explicitly tell the player about parries and roman cancels and all kinds of poo poo like that, which normally you'd have to pick up on outside the game.

And SC2 does a decent job of matching you with players your skill level, so you can kinda practice and slowly get better. And the single player is basically a tutorial.

The other thing though is making a bigger or more complex tutorial takes time and money. Cuphead is this sorta big/indie game that's been dragged out for years... at this point they're probably struggling to keep the lights on and get it polished enough to sell.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Summoning makes Dark Souls absolutely trivial, to the point where I don't understand why you'd ever do it if you actually enjoy the gameplay of the series. I don't think the dev's opinions have anything to do with it.

It's actually a little frustrating because I think it would be cool to have a game in that genre but where you're expected to handle certain encounters in groups and they're balanced accordingly.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Who will give me money to play games in a competent but unexceptional way on YouTube?

anyone, so long as you stick a picture of a bra in the corner

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Summoning makes Dark Souls absolutely trivial, to the point where I don't understand why you'd ever do it if you actually enjoy the gameplay of the series. I don't think the dev's opinions have anything to do with it.

It's actually a little frustrating because I think it would be cool to have a game in that genre but where you're expected to handle certain encounters in groups and they're balanced accordingly.

I love when people summon because I love being summoned with my dumb gimmick builds.

(I also like invading people when they have people summoned)

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I know what you mean. When my pal told me he blasted through each of the Dark Souls games for the first time, I was really excited to hear what he thought of the whole experience. Turns out he "stood in the back while my summons blasted the bosses with overpowered magic because I couldn't be bothered to fight". It's hard not to be a little bit disappointed after hearing that, especially since I love those games and how the combat feels.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FauxLeather posted:

I know what you mean. When my pal told me he blasted through each of the Dark Souls games for the first time, I was really excited to hear what he thought of the whole experience. Turns out he "stood in the back while my summons blasted the bosses with overpowered magic because I couldn't be bothered to fight". It's hard not to be a little bit disappointed after hearing that, especially since I love those games and how the combat feels.
yeah I have the same opinion of like, the recent fire emblem games. There was a gamespot review where the video showed the reviewer dying to enemies without even knowing how the battle system worked despite the game offering clear mechanical explanations and her sending her pegasi into range of archers even though the game literally puts up a giant warning symbol when you try to do that and the first time you get a pegasus rider the game literally tells you that archers do extra damage to flying units. there's a difference between being bad at a game and just a fundamental refusal to engage with any of its mechanics on any level, and i think if you overcompensate with difficulty options you can kind of encourage the latter.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Summoning in Dark Souls is fun because working with other people to fight monsters is fun IMO.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Summoning in Dark Souls is fun because working with other people to fight monsters is fun IMO.

Same, Dark Souls is one of the best co-op games in years.

That said, I also like the challenge in beating bosses solo. Play the game however you want! Either way or both.

FauxLeather posted:

This is weak though. At least try :( If you wipe on a boss like 20 times then maybe okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lizard Wizard posted:

My grandfather passed away in late July, so I know what you're going through. Condolences in advance. :smith:

• Locked thread