Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
RIP Pretty Pig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Max posted:

It was poorly executed.

Of loving course it was. It's textbook of why writers should have strong editors to call them on their bullshit. I feel like the defining thing between thinking the last two books are good or not is thinking the plot/arcs are good despite the writing or not being able to get past the writing itself. Neither of which are wrong.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

I think it was more of him having to come to grips with what he really is in society rather than his superficial understanding from his heightened status. The whole trip is his worldview being decimated and rebuilt. This girl wants to be with him because that's what's expected. He had higher hopes previous but now that's the best he's got. It was written with twice as many words as needed but it's not an illogical character arc. Lords being brought low to face the common folk on their terms is a pretty common theme in the latter books.

:same:

Also, Penny's brother was murdered because of Cercei's dwarf hunt. It's another insight into real life in Westeros and how the childish games our "heroes" play among themselves gently caress up all the real people in horrifying ways and create unimaginable suffering. And it contrasts nicely with Tyrion's whiny, annoying mid-life crisis poo poo. People born without his massive privileges go through much worse stuff and keep their poo poo together.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This is the same justification you can give to Brienne's arc, which was also boring.

Like the guy said, I get the overarching meaning and reference, but apparently GRRM cannot write smallfolk. It's the gardening thing, right? He wanted to garden beyond the great houses. He wanted to grow some nice rose bushes but he should have stuck with the bad pussy hot peppers.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Alternatively:

"So he came up to us and asked, what about Cersei's witch hunt against the dwarves? Wouldn't it make sense for Tyrion to meet a victimized dwarf family out in Essos? Yes, we thought, that would make sense.

"This year, George R R Martin is a writer on the show."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I can't remember why she's with them at all. Why is she constantly tagging along?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lycus posted:

I can't remember why she's with them at all. Why is she constantly tagging along?

I think Tyrion feels guilty over her and brings her with?

That book was bad, and I'd forgotten about most of these plot points.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Alternatively:

"So he came up to us and asked, what about Cersei's witch hunt against the dwarves? Wouldn't it make sense for Tyrion to meet a victimized dwarf family out in Essos? Yes, we thought, that would make sense.

"This year, George R R Martin is a writer on the show."

The Penny stuff goes much further. She is a person who seems to have genuinly fallen in love with Tyrion, which he is unable to accept because he is traumatized by Shae, who he had fallen in love with but was played by her. It's also an interesting contrast to Tyrion's perceived reality, where he thinks that no one could ever love him and the world hates him.

Here is a very detailed write up on the themes of their relationship: https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/12/18/paying-his-debts-part-iii-tyrion-and-penny/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

It's almost like there are objective criteria on which you can evaluate the quality of a piece of creative writing or any other product of human labor.

But by those standards, GRRM is bad, not good. He's objectively a bad prose writer.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

His prose is fine. I've read much, much worse. In Fantasy novels, especially.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

precision posted:

But by those standards, GRRM is bad, not good. He's objectively a bad prose writer.

yeah i tried to get into the series and i could only make it a couple of pages.

what i don't get is when authors write so much boring side stuff. i'd want to write the good stuff that gets things going not side garbage that goes nowhere.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Tyrion's completely pointless sightseeing of Essos was pointless, but it was fun world building. The Sorrows, the culture of the Rhoyne and Volantis are all good places.

I do agree that the Penny stuff was a slog to read through, though at least my mind kept me amused by replacing the fat slaver that died shiting buckets with Jabba the Hutt. It's the little things :shobon:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So I started book 1 last night and its mindblowing how accurate the show beginning is to the book beginning

Imagine the show we'd have right now if the fat man still wrote books :ohdear:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Constant posted:

So I started book 1 last night and its mindblowing how accurate the show beginning is to the book beginning

Imagine the show we'd have right now if the fat man still wrote books :ohdear:

I'm at work so pretend I inserted the "the more she ate the more she shat" or "fat pink mast" quotes here.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm at work so pretend I inserted the "the more she ate the more she shat" or "fat pink mast" quotes here.

not that far yet but the only thing missing i've seen is khal drogos mansion

oh also the 8 white walkers and taunting thing

and the old guy being the deserter rather than the younger

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The biggest difference between season 1 and book 1 is that the former has a broader selection of point-of-view characters, leading to show-only scenes like Varys and Littlefinger sparring, Cersei and Robert talking about their marriage and the impending invasion, and Robert, Jaime and Selmy talking about their first kills.

You also get things like more referenced to Stannis and the Tower of Joy scene, which lead people to predict R+L=J from a very early stage.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

precision posted:

Well I meant more the people who say "The books are bad, but I enjoy the show". And then people fly off the handle because they don't understand that it's possible to dislike a book for being poorly-written no matter how kickin' rad the plot in said book is.

For example, I loved the plot of Stephenson's Seveneves, but hated the dry technical-manual style of writing he tried in it. It's possible to dislike a book for the quality of the prose even if you like the plot, and vice versa. It seems to me that some goons defend the books solely on the events that happen in them and can't compute that it's possible to dislike the writing itself.

The door swings both ways, too. I mean, The Iron Dragon's Daughter is hands-down the best "fantasy" novel I've ever read - but it has almost no coherent plot until literally the last two pages out of 500-ish. But the writing sustains it for the crazy ride that it is.

Swanwick is special though and in a class of genre writers way above most, most fantasy can't sustain itself without a driving plot that dictates what the characters are currently doing and what they are going to do next.

Fwiw I think GRRM is a very good storyteller and the ASOIAF books are reasonably complex works with some depth and nuance and occasionally clever writing, and they do pull off the 'actually the real story is hidden in the text' thing reasonably well, if in a lazy way. Let's hope the last four books hold to that and keep the plot moving forward.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah i tried to get into the series and i could only make it a couple of pages.

what i don't get is when authors write so much boring side stuff. i'd want to write the good stuff that gets things going not side garbage that goes nowhere.

Grrm got way more interested in the world he built than the main story. It's why he wrote dunk and egg instead of twow. He just loves the world and hates the story. But that's why I like the last two books. It fleshed out this cool world and it's super loving boring but still interesting when viewed through that lens.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GRRM won't live long enough to write 4 more books. If he does, 2 of them will be wildcards and 1 will be a history of the valyrian empire. I just want him to wrap up TWOW in the next year or two and then get ADOS out even if it means going through plot bullet-points like the show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I take it that he fully liked the story until he couldn't make the five year gap work. That messed up his vision and he got bored.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Lycus posted:

I take it that he fully liked the story until he couldn't make the five year gap work. That messed up his vision and he got bored.

No, it was when the kids in his sex scenes started to get older.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

"What was I thinking breaking up the twins? Aunt/nephew stuff is boring."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There's always room for more scenes where Cersei reminisces about her and her 7 year old twin brother discovering their sexuality.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

precision posted:

Compared to whom? Nabokov? Absolutely. Tom Clancy? Lol, no. It's all a spectrum and GRRM is worse than some, but better than most. Certainly he could ace a decent creative writing class and the bar for un-lovely writing is much lower than that. Seriously, there are some REALLY bad writers out there. Truly bad stuff.

Like, it's been a while since I read ADWD, so I googled some quotes and it seems like decent stuff. I'm sure there are some stinkers here and there, but it's mostly solid

quote:

"Egg had an innocence to him, a sweetness we all loved. Kill the boy within you, I told him the day I took ship for the Wall. It takes a man to rule. An Aegon, not an Egg. Kill the boy and let the man be born." The old man felt Jon's face. "You are half the age that Egg was, and your own burden is crueler one, I fear. You will have little joy of your command, but I think you have the strength in you to do the things that must be done. Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born.”

also

quote:

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was making GBS threads brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Tom Clancy? Lol, no. It's all a spectrum and GRRM is worse than some, but better than most.

Please don't insult the best modern writer - thanks.

You only need to read the books that other authors publish with his name on it to appreciate the magic of Rainbow Six, Executive Order or Hunt for Red October.

Which is one of the chief reasons I want GRRM to finish ASOIAF himself.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

the best modern writer

:yikes:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Which is one of the chief reasons I want GRRM to finish ASOIAF himself.

You know NFL season is just around the corner.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol it owns that grrm put a dig about the patriots' 18-1 season into the books. (he roots for a terrible team in the same division.)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol it owns that grrm put a dig about the patriots' 18-1 season into the books. (he roots for a terrible team in the same division.)

Where?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

The story about a Archon named Belichick who won every battle until he was killed by a Giant.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Belicho was a renowned Volantene patriot whose famous exploits are recorded in the series The Life of the Triarch Belicho. His unbroken succession of conquests and triumphs ended rather abruptly when he was eaten by giants.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

precision posted:

I can't think of any other piece of media that so many goons insist "is" good as some kind of objective truth like they do with GRRM's books. It's a weird hill to die on. In most threads, when people say "I don't like thing", everyone knows that's a personal preference. Any time someone says "The books are bad" there's a mad rush to post "actually, they're good". It's bizarre.

Close thread.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The "sunset found her..." passage we always quote is actually pretty decent writing insofar as it paints a vivid picture of Dany's disgusting, crippling dysentery along with the frustration she must be feeling.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I wondered what you guys were kvetching about GURM's writing style (I'm on the second book, chewing threw them) and I came across this topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1k6s3j/spoilers_all_on_fat_pink_masts_or_why_a_certain/

Some point of view characters are just "worse" than others, I guess, and are harder to identify with for one reason or another.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you could argue most poor writing away that way. his first comment underneath is kinda silly he seems to think it's young inexperienced readers mocking grrm's writing. i would bet most of the people mocking those passages are far more well read than he. at least grrm isn't stephen king.

i can't think of an author that does sex scenes well off the top of my head tho.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 10, 2017

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Morrissey writes fantastic sex scenes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I wondered what you guys were kvetching about GURM's writing style (I'm on the second book, chewing threw them) and I came across this topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1k6s3j/spoilers_all_on_fat_pink_masts_or_why_a_certain/

Some point of view characters are just "worse" than others, I guess, and are harder to identify with for one reason or another.

That's pretty good apologia for why Sam's sex scene is gross and awkward, but it doesn't address why every other sex scene is also gross and awkward.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is the brandy-flavored breast milk realistic by the way? I have to admit I've never sucked a nursing woman's titties after she'd been drinking.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

you could argue most poor writing away that way. his first comment underneath is kinda silly he seems to think it's young inexperienced readers mocking grrm's writing. i would bet most of the people mocking those passages are far more well read than he. at least grrm isn't stephen king.

i can't think of an author that does sex scenes well off the top of my head tho.

Being well-read and being a writer are wildly different things

Stephen King is an amazing writer

lol goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

nobody writes actual hot sex scenes
like that is just not a thing you can do in prose

the ~literary writers who are usually cited as references on How To Write Sex, like Updike or Franzen, mostly go in for disarming earthy realism.
which is to say they make things sorta gross and weird on the theory that sex is always a weird thing except when you're the person having it.
the point is exploring vulnerability, not eros.

personally. I enjoy toni morrison sex scenes, but that's because they're usually so abstract and introspective that you can't tell there is physical sex happening.

tl;dr it's true, nobody writes good sex scenes, if by "good" we mean hot or sexy.
most people outside of like Urban Fantasy writers won't even try to do so.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

There's a lot of PoV variation, sure.

For instance, a lot of the worst and most cringe-worthy stuff in Dorne is the uncomfortably fetishistic, orientalist descriptions of things, a disproportionate amount of which come from Arys's PoV.

This makes sense since Arys is sorta the equivalent of a mormon kid who went on Mission after learning everything he knows about the world from his Fox News parents

like he thinks hot peppers turn Arianne horny because it's something his racist grandma muttered over the dinner table once.

that said, I do think there's been some mild deterioration of grrm's already...workmanlike prose, over the past two books, as seen in returning PoVs from the first three.

• Locked thread