Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Oblivious posted:

But Y'shtola basically wasn't even in Stormblood...?

In fact, she's basically unceremoniously removed from it so as to not distract from Lyse.

Who is in turn overshadowed by Alisalie. TBH if you have a female Warrior of Light, the whole Ruby Sea story sequence is basically an all girl final fantasy that doesn't suck.

A Spider Covets posted:

If anyone, I'm surprised they weren't bitching about Lyse after her wet fart of a storyline in SB. She really didn't develop at all, just kind of... became the leader of the rebellion without learning anything about herself, I guess. Or at least demonstrating that she did, not saying it.

She's really just kind of there. I think the intention of the story is that she's naively trying to inherit her family's place in the Revolution, but she isn't genuinely got the cause in her heart. Going East and seeing the Doman liberation movement is I guess supposed to teach her how a revolution is supposed to be fought and the value of sacrifice or something, but she doesn't apply any of those lessons to the Ala Mhigan campaign at all. Raubahn and his son do far more for the actual war front than any of the main characters besides the Warrior of Light. Lyse probably should have been the one to get captured instead of Krile, maybe to then meet and inspire a prison riot and break herself out as you go to try to rescue you. Or...gently caress, something, I really dunno. Lyse's whole role in the Revolution feels like there was some kind of pivotal scene cut. I think the main scenario writer just wanted to do the Doma story more, that's where most of the best stuff is, particularly drinking with Hien on the eve of the battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So is anyone interested in some Crystal Tower later today? Or maybe some Binding Coil? I would like to do all of them...

I would be down for some CT at some point today (9/10)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I unironically can't wait until the provisional government of Ala Mhigo falls apart due to in fighting because Lyse seems like an absolutely poo poo leader who learned exactly all the wrong lessons. They set up a direct parallel with Hein promising to remember the tragedy of Yotsyuy's life, a tragedy she was sold into (twice!) because of how hosed Doman society was under his father, and Lyse's massive hate boner for Fordola and her allies, people that had no real hope or opportunity their lives except the dream of working for the Empire and getting the gently caress out.

That parallel is probably going to be focused on a lot in the 4.X series as both nations rebuild and Fordola and Yotsuyu get expanded on a bit. Especially considering Yotsuyu has grandpa Gotestsu there to listen to her and perhaps help her find a better path and Lyse's plan for Fordola is to just let her rot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Double Resonance Eye, Fully Used To It Rage Fordola ends up being the 4.3/4.4 'Stormblood Finale' boss fight where the big fancy version of Revolutions plays like Nidhogg, Mad Ghost Edition was for HW.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ryanbomber posted:

I thought the opposite and was always confused why people acted like an hour or two tops of fedex quests and cutscenes every 3 months is the main focus of the game.

If you like it, great, but "WHY WOULD YOU PLAY THIS GAME IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE STORY" is an absolutely bizarre take when it's such a tiny minority of the content of this game by playtime. I haven't even thought about the story of this game in months.

I mean this only really applies to hardcore players is the thing.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Augus posted:

I mean this only really applies to hardcore players is the thing.

Even the non-hardcore players won't be spending much of their time with the story in the long run.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Long shot but are any of yall going to Tokyo Game Show in a few weeks? FFXIV is gonna be there and they're doing feast stuff i think so im gonna try to snag a shirt or something

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm going to be there.

Wanna touch butts and go to the Eorzea Cafe?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Failboattootoot posted:

Even the non-hardcore players won't be spending much of their time with the story in the long run.

That's what relic grinding is for.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

lmao

E:

oh lord he thinks I'm the other goon, nice

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I am enjoying these angery healer tweets very much.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Imagine being so mad about being a bad healer that you start tweeting like trump

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tracking down a bad healer's twitter account is pretty loving weird dude.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I really like 14's story, but I'm also not very critical of it. I just take it in and do whatever. I enjoyed Alisaie and Lyse pointing my WoL in the general direction of whatever was irritating them and occasionally adding snarky commentary. It was as fun as Estinien, Ysale, and Alphy. It sucks that Krile wasn't around for more of it. I seriously don't get being mad at Y'shtola of all characters in this current expansion. They forcefully throw her rear end out of the spotlight like 5 minutes into it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Haquer posted:

lmao

E:

You're both really dumb.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Phone posted:

I'm going to be there.

Wanna touch butts and go to the Eorzea Cafe?

We've got tickets to the cafe that wednesday but were meeting a friend already, I'd be down to hang at the show though. I'll be there the 24th! You got a discord tag?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm on Catgirl bargains, but I'm not installing the phone app or anything.

I'm probably skipping the show on the 24th.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Fister Roboto posted:

Tracking down a bad healer's twitter account is pretty loving weird dude.

Some other goon found it

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're both really dumb.

Correct

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

She's really just kind of there. I think the intention of the story is that she's naively trying to inherit her family's place in the Revolution, but she isn't genuinely got the cause in her heart. Going East and seeing the Doman liberation movement is I guess supposed to teach her how a revolution is supposed to be fought and the value of sacrifice or something, but she doesn't apply any of those lessons to the Ala Mhigan campaign at all. Raubahn and his son do far more for the actual war front than any of the main characters besides the Warrior of Light. Lyse probably should have been the one to get captured instead of Krile, maybe to then meet and inspire a prison riot and break herself out as you go to try to rescue you. Or...gently caress, something, I really dunno. Lyse's whole role in the Revolution feels like there was some kind of pivotal scene cut. I think the main scenario writer just wanted to do the Doma story more, that's where most of the best stuff is, particularly drinking with Hien on the eve of the battle.

My main issue with Lyse (who is probably the weakest part of Stormblood's story, in my opinion) is that she's wildly unqualified to be a leader but everyone else just sort of... decides she should be leader anyway. Like, why does the resistance leader guy choose her people to be the new leader? Was it just because her family was important? I don't think there's any real reason given other than "Lyse is the designated important character, ergo, resistance leader chooses her as a successor" - Characters like M'naago seemed a lot more qualified.

I get what they were going for with Yda/Lyse - she was basically just comic relief up until this point, but now she has an opportunity to meaningfully contribute and become a 'real', more developed character. And I usually love that trope! The thing is, when done well, it's about the character learning to use their existing (and oft overlooked) strengths to succeed, or revealing something new about themselves that nobody really gave them a chance to show. With Lyse, she's just suddenly expected to play a role that she's previously shown no competence at. Giving her character development so that she DOES become competent in that field is a totally viable path for the story to take - but we're expected to side with the resistance leader's decision BEFORE any of that, and to be honest her character development just isn't... that good. The whole thing feels like the writers decided Lyse should lead the rebellion because she's Ala Mhigan, but didn't really consider if that made sense for her character.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 10, 2017

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Phone posted:

I'm on Catgirl bargains, but I'm not installing the phone app or anything.

I'm probably skipping the show on the 24th.

Ah sucks, we've got plans on the 23rd. I'll hit you up in a bit maybe we can chill somewhere later

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Haquer posted:

lmao

E:

Lol. What's going on here?

@8bit yeah I agree. I was so dismayed by her role overall, but maybe they'll do something more with it in future patches? It just seems odd, like they handled Alphinaud's development in HW so much better. I loved that when he was a dumbass, he paid for it and we watched him grow as a person.

Ali is still the star of SB for me atm, although Hien was awesome, too. I love Yotsuyu as well, I hope things turn out OK for her. It'd be great if she actually didn't join our side, but got a chance to live as a normal person. I doubt they'll do that, since it's not the kind of storyline that could be readily tied to dungeon content, but it'd make me happy.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 10, 2017

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Hien was my favorite from the expansion for sure.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

A Spider Covets posted:

Lol. What's going on here?

@8bit yeah I agree. I was so dismayed by her role overall, but maybe they'll do something more with it in future patches? It just seems odd, like they handled Alphinaud's development in HW so much better. I loved that when he was a dumbass, he paid for it and we watched him grow as a person.

Ali is still the star of SB for me atm, although Hien was awesome, too. I love Yotsuyu as well, I hope things turn out OK for her. It'd be great if she actually didn't join our side, but got a chance to live as a normal person. I doubt they'll do that, since it's not the kind of storyline that could be readily tied to dungeon content, but it'd make me happy.

They could do something like Yda and Papalymo at the resistance with her. Gotetsu and Yotsuyu being on the periphery and only popping later as an expansion lead-in after it turns out they were washed up on Hingashi or Garlemald or wherever the next expansion will be

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5LY4Mz15o&t=286s

This should be the next expansion, except replace Japan with Hingashi and the United States with Limsa Lominsa.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I stumbled across the novice training missions. Wonder why you don't get those right out of the gate. I also scored a snappy pair of glasses so my guy looks suitably educated.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Mark my words - Fordola's gonna become a Scion. We need a replacement for Lyse.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Zinkraptor posted:

My main issue with Lyse (who is probably the weakest part of Stormblood's story, in my opinion) is that she's wildly unqualified to be a leader but everyone else just sort of... decides she should be leader anyway. Like, why does the resistance leader guy choose her people to be the new leader? Was it just because her family was important? I don't think there's any real reason given other than "Lyse is the designated important character, ergo, resistance leader chooses her as a successor" - Characters like M'naago seemed a lot more qualified.

I get what they were going for with Yda/Lyse - she was basically just comic relief up until this point, but now she has an opportunity to meaningfully contribute and become a 'real', more developed character. And I usually love that trope! The thing is, when done well, it's about the character learning to use their existing (and oft overlooked) strengths to succeed, or revealing something new about themselves that nobody really gave them a chance to show. With Lyse, she's just suddenly expected to play a role that she's previously shown no competence at. Giving her character development so that she DOES become competent in that field is a totally viable path for the story to take - but we're expected to side with the resistance leader's decision BEFORE any of that, and to be honest her character development just isn't... that good. The whole thing feels like the writers decided Lyse should lead the rebellion because she's Ala Mhigan, but didn't really consider if that made sense for her character.

A post like this is why I don't really get the criticism of Lyse (and don't understand the spoiler policy of this thread). They do explain why she becomes the leader. It is because of her father. The previous leader believes that she has a good heart and thinks that if he places her in the position, she will grow into it. It's a more gentle "sink or swim" moment. The situation progresses very rapidly (because a proper timeline for current events would be disastrous) and dude dies before she's able to pull it off, but that was his plan. An immense amount of faith in a fallen comrade's last surviving family member. The only way for Lyse to understand being a leader is to lead. So she runs 'round and realizes that the situation in Ala Mhigo is more complex than punching the right Garlean. I don't believe we're meant to see her journey as finished by the end of 4.0. I think the future patches will elaborate on her earning the respect of the people she doesn't already know personally and she'll probably be subjected to the same chains of command that Alphinaud got in the 2.x storyline. Her deciding to stay rooted in Ala Mhigo to do work instead of going on more Scion adventures felt like a good step for her character. Taking on situations before you're actually prepared for what you've signed on for is a recurring theme in FFXIV.

Dick Trauma posted:

I stumbled across the novice training missions. Wonder why you don't get those right out of the gate. I also scored a snappy pair of glasses so my guy looks suitably educated.

Do all of them, the gear is great and you get an exp boosting ring for future job leveling.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hien sucks. Dude's got no depth

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

A post like this is why I don't really get the criticism of Lyse (and don't understand the spoiler policy of this thread). They do explain why she becomes the leader. It is because of her father. The previous leader believes that she has a good heart and thinks that if he places her in the position, she will grow into it. It's a more gentle "sink or swim" moment. The situation progresses very rapidly (because a proper timeline for current events would be disastrous) and dude dies before she's able to pull it off, but that was his plan. An immense amount of faith in a fallen comrade's last surviving family member. The only way for Lyse to understand being a leader is to lead. So she runs 'round and realizes that the situation in Ala Mhigo is more complex than punching the right Garlean. I don't believe we're meant to see her journey as finished by the end of 4.0. I think the future patches will elaborate on her earning the respect of the people she doesn't already know personally and she'll probably be subjected to the same chains of command that Alphinaud got in the 2.x storyline. Her deciding to stay rooted in Ala Mhigo to do work instead of going on more Scion adventures felt like a good step for her character. Taking on situations before you're actually prepared for what you've signed on for is a recurring theme in FFXIV.

Do all of them, the gear is great and you get an exp boosting ring for future job leveling.

I guess it's just the way it ends. At the end of the Stormblood storyline, it feels very finished, like things are calmed down now and she's supposed to just... be a leader, suddenly. None of her dialogue really convinced me that she'd changed at all, either - like, we see moments when she wants to step in, she wants to lead and participate, but it never feels like she does until we reach the end and all of a sudden, we're supposed to believe that she's just ready for this because she is. I would've liked to see her jumping in more before that final moment. It's emphasized further for me by the fact that we see Alisae being so brave and trying out new things, working with the local populations and really getting her hands dirty while she helps build up this rebellion. I would've liked to see Lyse doing more of that.

I think if they continue working with her, though, show her stumbling along the way and learning as she comes into her role as leader, that'd nullify my criticisms and make me a very happy camper indeed.

Also I don't care one iota about video game spoilers, I'm just spoiling to avoid ruining anyone else's fun or derailing us with another spoiler argument lol.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hien is my boy crush.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Hien is my boy crush.

I am a girl and he is my boy crush too

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
aymeric or hien

you can only marry one

choose

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

aymeric or hien

you can only marry one

choose

Hien is Yugiri's waifu, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

And America is Lucia's but what can you do?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here's my impression of Hien: "Hello."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

aymeric or hien

you can only marry one

choose

My wife has long since laid claim to Aymeric.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

ImpAtom posted:

And America is Lucia's but what can you do?

A true patriot. :911:

Lucia would make a great Scion if, as I assume, the next expansion takes place in Garlemald proper.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mymla posted:

Cirina was dropping some pretty heavy hints though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Please there is an obvious choice.

https://clips.twitch.tv/DaintyPlainLocustRuleFive

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I unironically can't wait until the provisional government of Ala Mhigo falls apart due to in fighting because Lyse seems like an absolutely poo poo leader who learned exactly all the wrong lessons. They set up a direct parallel with Hein promising to remember the tragedy of Yotsyuy's life, a tragedy she was sold into (twice!) because of how hosed Doman society was under his father, and Lyse's massive hate boner for Fordola and her allies, people that had no real hope or opportunity their lives except the dream of working for the Empire and getting the gently caress out.

That parallel is probably going to be focused on a lot in the 4.X series as both nations rebuild and Fordola and Yotsuyu get expanded on a bit. Especially considering Yotsuyu has grandpa Gotestsu there to listen to her and perhaps help her find a better path and Lyse's plan for Fordola is to just let her rot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Double Resonance Eye, Fully Used To It Rage Fordola ends up being the 4.3/4.4 'Stormblood Finale' boss fight where the big fancy version of Revolutions plays like Nidhogg, Mad Ghost Edition was for HW.

The nice thing about SB's supporting vilains is, since Zenos is a completely cartoonish supervillain, both Fordola and Yotsuyu get to have pretty understandable motivations for being absolute monstrous assholes to everybody. The issue is Fordola is a loving monster, now literally as well as figuratively. Any hope of her justifying her actions as wanting to do right by her people was shot when she slaughtered her own men under Zenos' order. She has nobody to stand with her, she has no people to save, the whole country united and she's in prison for crimes she willingly did. If there's any fate for her short of a lengthy military tribunal and execution, I'd be a fair bit let down. I expect both Yotsuyu and Fordola may have to face some sort of Nuremburg-style official reckoning, though that'd be kind of grim and weird for a magic punch game to focus on, though they've explored some kind of weird political story roads before.

Yotsuyu was taking out her aggression on Doman injustice out on the people, which makes some sense given the callous nature of Doman society prior to Garlemald's conquest. Ala Mhigo had a mad king, but that's not nearly as bad as the implications of Doman society -- Lord Kaien was by all accounts a fine ruler by the Doman perspective, which means Doman society had holistic problems that led to the sale of human beings and the cruelty visited upon Yotsuyu. It's all a bit vague too, I'd like to know more about what the hell happened there.

I'll be disappointed if they somehow try to give Fordola an out, though. She's a really bad person, even if there's justification for her violent attitude, she's for her whole adult life been a willing participant in a fascist regime, willfully ignoring how hollow Garlean promises of merit and equality are.