Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Catching up with the thread now, and don't know if anyone has said this yet, but I loved that

Its eyes didn't seem, to me, like they were real. Especially when It opened its mouth and they would roll back. The stares, the going slightly different directions, and the disappearing when It opened its mouth. It felt like its eyes were just predatory lures to seem approachable. No idea if it was intentional, but I loved the detail so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Based on Friday box office numbers they were estimating $105 million opening weekend, but there was barely a drop in attendance on Saturday so the new projections are >$120 million. This puts it in Hunger Game/Harry Potter territory for box office success.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Quick question

Did anyone else notice the librarian lurking over Ben's shoulder as he read the history book, before the balloon drew him into the archive. She was way back in the shot and out of focus, but she looked like she was staring directly at him and making an evil loving face.

IDK if I was imagining it, but it was one of the most effective creepy things in the movie

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

a new study bible! posted:

Quick question

Did anyone else notice the librarian lurking over Ben's shoulder as he read the history book, before the balloon drew him into the archive. She was way back in the shot and out of focus, but she looked like she was staring directly at him and making an evil loving face.

IDK if I was imagining it, but it was one of the most effective creepy things in the movie

Yeah, good fake out. I expected her to start walking forward and do something.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

To agree with almost everyone...

Giant It and the slideshow scene was really good!

I also thought that the new Pennywise would be bad, but he was actually pretty good. I liked how weird his voice and speech patterns were.

He's Swedish. So his English is like really good but off

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Catching up with the thread now, and don't know if anyone has said this yet, but I loved that

Its eyes didn't seem, to me, like they were real. Especially when It opened its mouth and they would roll back. The stares, the going slightly different directions, and the disappearing when It opened its mouth. It felt like its eyes were just predatory lures to seem approachable. No idea if it was intentional, but I loved the detail so much.

As someone who also has a lazy eye like Skarsgard--yeah if you just relax that muscle your eye does that. I'm glad that they incorporated that into the character, it's really effective!

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Quick question

Yeah, there's this article on it http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/09/10/you-mightve-missed-one-of-its-best-scares it's one of the best moments in the film for me,

I reckon there's probably a bunch of stuff on the cutting room floor for this, and although they will probably incorporate some of it into Chapter Two, I would rip my own arm off for the chance to see an extended cut of this, especially if it fleshed out Bowers and Mike, I mean they could release it specifically on disc as IT - Chapter One. It would rule.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 10, 2017

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

As someone who also has a lazy eye like Skarsgard--yeah if you just relax that muscle your eye does that. I'm glad that they incorporated that into the character, it's really effective!

That's interesting to know, thank you! And seriously, those were some of the most effective parts for me: when the glamour started to fall away and we got glimpses behind the curtain so to speak.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I sort of liked how comically obese the mom was, it was so clearly a fat suit that it went beyond being an annoying gag (King has a weird relationship with fat people) and became kind of threatening in a way I can only describe as scary in a cloying, syrupy way - theatrical, fake, and fraudulent, which makes it seem bigger than life.

She resembled an obese trashy version of Amy Schumer.

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010

Quick question

I saw that too. I wanted a few more "out of focus" moments like to set the mood of how little the adults care.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Quick question

At the parade there's a couple shots like that, too.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Quick question

Someone had mentioned this in the thread so I was specifically looking for it when I saw the movie again last night. There is an old woman kind of leering in the background while he's looking at the book, but it isn't the librarian. You can see it in the link Karloff posted a few posts up. The librarian is a different woman on the other side of the room and is at her desk, doesn't even look up when the balloon goes by. They're wearing different colors as well, librarian's dress was yellow.

The leering lady is back looking at magazines or whatever when Ben gets up and follows the balloon.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Anonymous John posted:

She resembled an obese trashy version of Amy Schumer.

Then they should get Amy Schumer for Eddie's wife.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Then they should get Amy Schumer for Eddie's wife.
Based on her IMDB page she was really made up for this movie and I have a feeling they are actually just going to recast her as Eddie's wife.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite moment from Skarsgard performance was when he has Bev and she proclaims "I'm not afraid of you!" And he loving sniffs her, realizing she isn't and pouts like a spoiled child

Dude killed it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm making my way through the book, and I simultaneously hope that the Turtle is left out of the film like it was in the miniseries, but also hope there is constant subtle turtle imagery all over the movie.

I didn't think about this until after the movie, but I think someone gets bit by a turtle while swimming, and later there's a turtle lego thing in Richies room.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

My favorite moment from Skarsgard performance was when he has Bev and she proclaims "I'm not afraid of you!" And he loving sniffs her, realizing she isn't and pouts like a spoiled child

Dude killed it.

I loved this scene, but I also loved how he reacts early in the film when one of the kids reminds the other one in the house that things are not real, and thus not scary. Pennywise somehow hears it, stops about to eat Eddie, and gives this look of active offense.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Turtle Lego too

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think once they convinced themselves the stuff in the house was an illusion they should've stepped through the 'really scary' door out of spite.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Dude killed it.

Can Pennywise not physically harm someone that isn't scared?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deadulus posted:

Can Pennywise not physically harm someone that isn't scared?

There's some pretty strong implication in the book that he needs fear to be genuinely powerful, yes. (Though not to have others do the killing for him.)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In the book it seemed to me like his "feeding" on children isn't literal, it's feeding on the psychic energy the fear releases-- "salting the meat"

Although I'm pretty sure he did take Georgie's arm off, and he definitely did bite Adrian Mellon (although I think that was shock benefit for Adrian's boyfriend)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Georgie seemed barely afraid and he still got dismembered. Pennywise had all those other kids on the ropes, he just got greedy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

I loved this scene, but I also loved how he reacts early in the film when one of the kids reminds the other one in the house that things are not real, and thus not scary. Pennywise somehow hears it, stops about to eat Eddie, and gives this look of active offense.

And then he's got those magnificent hurt and mad lines when all 3 of them in the house are back together again, almost like, "but I put on this clown-themed hellhouse for you, why won't you believe in me anymore", gets all murderously freaky mad, and that's when the other kids come in and spike him.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm pretty unhappy with the direction the movie took after It's incredibly good introductory scene but "and now I've gotta kill this loving clown" is aging really well in my mind.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's kinda weird how i hate that they made bev a damsel in distress but also like the bits where it dances and the reveal of the deadlights. feel like it would've stronger had they gone down there together to fight it and she got grabbed during the confrontation and seen the deadlights in a similar fashion.

i do find the "we all float" being literal a bit groan worthy. a massive pile of detritus works just as well.

it can kill them at any time but it likes to season them with fear. it does actually eat them for sustenance.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 10, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

i do find the "we all float" being literal a bit groan worthy. a massive pile of detritus works just as well.

Yeah but you gotta figure that they're already in a realm of metaphor at that point, one which is likely to get more on-the-nose in the next installment. And it's not like they actually find Georgie's corpse after Pennywise retreats, just the rainslicker with his name on it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked everything except the scary bits. If this is what horror films are like these days, I completely understand why horror buffs bemoan the state of modern horror. Endless jump scares, no subtlety whatsoever (especially in the sound design - stop repeating that oranges and lemons song JESUS), Pennywise being growly and obviously threatening from the jump.....none of those moments really worked for me until the third act, which admittedly did a lot to restore some goodwill on my part.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah but you gotta figure that they're already in a realm of metaphor at that point, one which is likely to get more on-the-nose in the next installment. And it's not like they actually find Georgie's corpse after Pennywise retreats, just the rainslicker with his name on it.

that's cuz it ate him.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, Pennywise is definitely literally eating his victims. Aside from Georgie's arm and the armpit bite on Adrian, Mike makes a point of discussing how he knew exactly what it was when it started happening again because the victims weren't sexually assaulted, but had all been partially eaten.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I didn't mind the "you'll float too" thing being literal although now that you mention it, cutting that bit out of the opening scene with Georgie was another fannish nitpick of mine.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
the more I think about this movie the more I love it, I'm def gonna go see it again before it leaves theaters

also, of the "horror buffs" I talk to the general consensus is that the state of horror is pretty great right now

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

the more I think about this movie the more I love it, I'm def gonna go see it again before it leaves theaters

also, of the "horror buffs" I talk to the general consensus is that the state of horror is pretty great right now

I'm absolutely of that opinion, yeah. Possibly controversial hot take, but I'm really glad found footage appears to be dead.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, Pennywise is definitely literally eating his victims. Aside from Georgie's arm and the armpit bite on Adrian, Mike makes a point of discussing how he knew exactly what it was when it started happening again because the victims weren't sexually assaulted, but had all been partially eaten.

There's also events like the Ironworks where some 25 bodies disappear after they've been killed. You can't scare dead people. You can eat them though.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

There's some pretty strong implication in the book that he needs fear to be genuinely powerful, yes. (Though not to have others do the killing for him.)

Yeah, there's stuff in the books about how he needs people to believe at least a little before he can touch them and that's why he sends Henry after them, but there's also a scene where he takes the form of the creature from the black lagoon and strangles a kid who all the way up until the end keeps clawing at his back looking for a zipper, because surely this has to be a costume. And with Patric, how he never really takes a form but just appears as an indistinct humanoid shape that is still real enough to drag him away.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

i can think of like three great horror films in the past i dunno 10 years?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The nadir of horror movies was the 1990s.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Get Out, The Witch and It Follows are three off the top of my head that will probably end up being horror staples and they're just from the last couple years.

Horror's been doing very well for a while now. I usually end up with at least a couple on my personal top ten at the end of the year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The past two years alone have had Get Out, Green Room, The VVitch, The Love Witch, and now IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The nadir of horror movies was the 1990s.

The further we get from then the more interesting that era of horror gets for me though. As with every other part of '90s pop culture, nobody was really holding the reins there.

• Locked thread